Tagerine guitar solo

spookytooth

How does Page get that tone? I've obsessed over this solo ever since I first heard the song thirty years ago. Fuzz Face with a pitch shift? Did they even have a pitch shift in 1970? A friend thinks it's an overdub of a second guitar played an octave up. I think it's too perfect to be an overdub. Is he using his Orange amp on this one?

If this has been asked before I apologize. Being a noob I can't figure out how to search topics...

For one, he's using a slide, sorry if you alrady knew that, but thought I'd point out the obvious..

Sorry, no slide. He is fretting and bending. I'm not concerned with his playing technique; this is a very simple solo that even a beginner could play. What has absolutely consumed me is the tone; the way the guitar sounds. It is absolutely ethereal.

Sorry, no slide. He is fretting and bending. I'm not concerned with his playing technique; this is a very simple solo that even a beginner could play. What has absolutely consumed me is the tone; the way the guitar sounds. It is absolutely ethereal.

Haha you are funny. He is using a slide on that one for sure.

I thought everyone knew he WASN'T using a slide

:huh:

I guess I was wrong

I think people are confused by the prominent pedal steel used throughout the song. The solo is definitely NOT played with a slide.

I think people are confused by the prominent pedal steel used throughout the song. The solo is definitely NOT played with a slide.

Thats very true

and i've tried that thing with the fuzz and the pitch shift and i still dont think that is right.

Thats very true

and i've tried that thing with the fuzz and the pitch shift and i still dont think that is right.

So what is your theory? I believe he's using his neck pick-up and tone knob on 0 (there is no pick "pluck"). I've gotten close using a Big Muff Pi through an Orange with the gain wide open and the tone knobs scooped and the presence wide open.

Have you seen him play it live? He uses a slide there too.

I'm not talking about how he played it live. I don't care how he played it live. In my opinion "Tangerine" was a song best left off the set-list; it's not a song that lends itself well to Zeppelin's three-piece live configuration. He did not use a slide in the studio. However, that is beside the point. I'm interested in his tone, not his playing technique.

So what is your theory? I believe he's using his neck pick-up and tone knob on 0 (there is no pick "pluck"). I've gotten close using a Big Muff Pi through an Orange with the gain wide open and the tone knobs scooped and the presence wide open.

Well does it matter that he was using a pedal steel guitar on the actual recording?

I'm not talking about how he played it live. I don't care how he played it live. In my opinion "Tangerine" was a song best left off the set-list; it's not a song that lends itself well to Zeppelin's three-piece live configuration. He did not use a slide in the studio. However, that is beside the point. I'm interested in his tone, not his playing technique.

Yeah, but how the solo is played live is the same as how he played it in the studio. How long have you been playing guitar? It is quite silly to think that that is not a slide. The solo live sounds almost identical.

Are you confusing slide guitar (bottleneck) and pedal steel guitar?

This guy plays it properly note for note but does not obtain the tone at all. The clue that it's not played with a slide are the pull-offs.

For years I had myself half-convinced that it was a synth because it has such a unique tone.

When I say "tone" I mean guitar, amp and effects combination, not necessarily playing technique.

*I just listened to it again and if you listen very closely at the very end of the solo you can hear someone shout "Yeah!" in the studio. Apparently they thought it was pretty cool too!

This guy plays it properly note for note but does not obtain the tone at all. The clue that it's not played with a slide are the pull-offs.

For years I had myself half-convinced that it was a synth because it has such a unique tone.

When I say "tone" I mean guitar, amp and effects combination, not necessarily playing technique.

*I just listened to it again and if you listen very closely at the very end of the solo you can hear someone shout "Yeah!" in the studio. Apparently they thought it was pretty cool too!

The tone is given to it by the slide. The way that guy plays it sounds off BECAUSE of the pull offs...

Archived