Swine Flu

MightyZep

What is hysterical is how the medical media and others alike are saying, "Oh just take Tamiflu if you get sick."

:rolleyes:

Is it likely this thing could blow up? Possibly.

Should we worry? Nope.

If it blows up, will "tamiflu" or any "flu vaccine" save me? Nope, there is no cure or vaccine for swine flu. If you get it, it's up to your God-given immune system to do the rest.

Happy catching! :P

Edited to Add: Not trying to be the scare tactition, just being realistic from a true medical standpoint.

It all depends on how it mutates. It could go away or have a minute fatality ratio..or...

The scary thing about this is that the Pandemic of 1918 actually started in early spring of that year and then disappeared only to rise again in the fall. I hate to say it but this is something that has to be taken very seriously. Last I heard, we in Vancouver had 6 confirmed cases :(

Whilst I think it's something to be treated very seriously, I can't help but feel some of it is scare-mongering. According to the Beeb, all fatalities have been in Mexico, and all other cases worldworld have been said to be 'mild', with patients making a full recovery. Hell, even the two confirmed cases in the UK are said to be 'recovering well' at home - they're not even in hospital. I don't think it's something to turn a blind eye to, but then, I don't think it's going to be comparable to the 1918 'flu - I hope.

BBC

The interesting tidbit that I've yet to see reaffirmed in any article regarding the Mexican deaths' are the conditions of the people with fatalities prior to contracting the virus. I've heard talk of them being "normal, healthy middle-aged people." But is that by Mexican standards, our standards or worldwide "normal, healthy" standards?

The interesting tidbit that I've yet to see reaffirmed in any article regarding the Mexican deaths' are the conditions of the people with fatalities prior to contracting the virus. I've heard talk of them being "normal, healthy middle-aged people." But is that by Mexican standards, our standards or worldwide "normal, healthy" standards?

I was wondering about that myself. I was in a chemo class today and someone brought up the flu

concern and the answer we were given is that so far there have been no reports in Louisiana as of yet.

Also that we would be under observation continuosly throughout our treatments so if it became an issue we would be treated right away.

I think that very healthy individuals probably needn't fear as much. Elderly, infants and those with compromised immune systems are at most risk.

Better to be safe than sorry.

A pandemic is an outbreak of disease over a large area like a country, continent or the entire planet.

The authorities are in a no win situation, if they release concerns about the virus spreading they are accused of creating panic and if they were to keep it quiet they'd be accused of a cover up.

The biggest problem we have is that viruses have become immune to anti-biotics and each new strain is stronger than the last one and virtually untreatable.

Unlike "human" influenza, Swine and Bird flu are animal diseases, however, a lot of the deadlier viruses originated from animals.

AIDS / HIV from Monkeys for example.

Swine flu is different again because it is a mammalian disease which causes humans a much greater risk of catching it than bird flu, which is still a problem in Asia.

See Mad Cow Disease.

There are people who have arrived at Sydney airport from the US / Mexico with flu symptoms who have been checked out and so far seem ok.

Like everything going on today throughout the world, we should be alert but not alarmed.

Edited by Reggie29

I think that very healthy individuals probably needn't fear as much. Elderly, infants and those with compromised immune systems are at most risk.

There in itself is the riddle with "swine flu."

The problem is it targets people between 20-40 the most, and as stated, "normal, healthy individuals."

But so far, the only casualties have come from Mexico. It's been reported some who came down with it in NYC on Friday and Saturday have already shown signs of improvement. So, it's difficult at this point to verify whether its really a lethal virus or just kills those who are immunely weak. Influenza kills thousands of Americans each year so it's not uncommon for someone to catch the flu and die from it. What is troublesome is "swine flu" has never been contracted from human to human contact, meaning it mutated once putting it in its current state. The more people infected, the higher the chance of further mutation.

Like someone said, the 1918 influenza outbreak came in phases, the second, "autumn" phase, was what killed so many people, including those who survived the yet-mutated flu from the previous spring.

Better to be safe than sorry.

A pandemic is an outbreak of disease over a large area like a country, continent or the entire planet.

The authorities are in a no win situation, if they release concerns about the virus spreading they are accused of creating panic and if they were to keep it quiet they'd be accused of a cover up.

True. I think the point behind the various authorities making a 'big deal' about it and the subsequent news coverage of that is to make folks aware so that they will take appropriate precautions. Also, the various public health agencies have things they need to do to try to contain the spread of it. Public awareness and cooperation of those things is helpful, perhaps crucual.

The biggest problem we have is that viruses have become immune to anti-biotics and each new strain is stronger than the last one and virtually untreatable.

Erm, antibiotics are for fighting bacterial infections, not viruses.

However, it's true that a lot of bacterial strains have become resistant to many antibiotics and this problem does seem to be getting worse.

Unlike "human" influenza, Swine and Bird flu are animal diseases, however, a lot of the deadlier viruses originated from animals.

AIDS / HIV from Monkeys for example.

Swine flu is different again because it is a mammalian disease which causes humans a much greater risk of catching it than bird flu, which is still a problem in Asia.

See Mad Cow Disease.

There are people who have arrived at Sydney airport from the US / Mexico with flu symptoms who have been checked out and so far seem ok.

Like everything going on today throughout the world, we should be alert but not alarmed.

Exactly.

Most of the precautions we're being advised to take are really common sense type things, that we should do anyway:

Wash your hands frequently and properly, especially if you're sick, are caring for someone who is sick, or if you're in a high risk group for illness.

If you are sick, don't go sharing your germs with the rest of the world. Stay home! Cover your mouth when you cough (and then Wash Your Hands)!

We don't need the media to fuel kneejerk reactions, the world's public does a fine job of that on their own. One thing is for sure we better pray it doesn't become a pandemic, that combined with faltering world economy will cause lots of problems. If a large percentage of the population becomes sick or subject to quarantine the already fragile infrastructure will start to fail. Who knows maybe it's time to thin things out a bit.

One thing is for sure we better pray it doesn't become a pandemic, that combined with faltering world economy will cause lots of problems. If a large percentage of the population becomes sick or subject to quarantine the already fragile infrastructure will start to fail.

I have been thinking the same thing.

Swine flu + the economic problems = a possible MAJOR disaster

I haven't given much thought to this (yet) since i see respiratory illness all the time... i know an epidemic and pandemic are always possible...but coworkers and I heard tonight, the Emergency Department where i work had 20 people there with the possible diagnosis of swine flu. I'll have to see if anything came of it when i go back to work at the end of the week.

Best thing anyone can do to help prevent the spread of respiratory illness (as mentioned already) PRACTICE GOOD HANDWASHING AND COVER YOUR MOUTH/NOSE WHEN YOU COUGH AND SNEEZE!

Avoid sick animals.

Ominous similarities exist between the swine flu and the 1918 pandemic virus that killed millions around the globe, from a shared "death profile" of 20-to-40-year-olds to an ability to spread rapidly among humans, experts say.

canada.com/health/echo+1918+pandemic/1539522/story

Warren D. Ward, 48, was in high school when the swine flu threat of 1976 swept the U.S. The Whittier man remembers the episode vividly because a relative died in the 1918 flu pandemic, and the 1976 illness was feared to be a direct descendant of the deadly virus.

"The government wanted everyone to get vaccinated," Ward said. "But the epidemic never really broke out. It was a threat that never materialized."

latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-history27-2009apr27,0,967115

How do people get infected?

Human infection happens intermittently, with most cases occurring when patients have direct contact with pigs. But cases of an infected person transmitting the swine flu to others have also been documented, says the CDC. (A 1988 outbreak in pigs in Wisconsin led to multiple human infections, and there was evidence that a patient transmitted the virus to health care workers.)

About one case of swine flu in humans is reported to the CDC every one to two years, but from December 2005 through February 2009, 12 cases were reported to the agency. According to WebMD.com, 11 of those people had direct or indirect contact with infected pigs.

Human-to-human infections do occur similar to the way the human seasonal flu virus is transmitted — through coughing, sneezing and coming in contact with a person or object with the virus.

People cannot become infected by eating pork or pork products. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit kills the virus as well as other bacteria, notes the CDC.

msnbc.msn.com/id/30390176/?pg=3#SwineFlu_QA

How is it treated?

Four antiviral drugs are licensed to treat the disease in the U.S.: amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir. Most of the viruses are susceptible to all four, but the CDC currently recommends oseltamivir or zanamivir to treat and prevent swine flu infections. The antivirals, which are prescription medicines, should be taken as soon as possible symptoms appear.

Tamiflu (the generic name for oseltamivir) and Relenza (the generic name for zanamivir) appear to be effective against the new strain when taken early, says the CDC.

There is currently no human vaccine for swine flu, but the flu vaccine may provide some protection against the H3N2 strain, though not the H1N1 strain.

The U.S. is declaring a public health emergency to deal with the emerging new swine flu.

The precautionary step doesn't signal a greater threat to Americans. But it allows the federal and state governments easier access to flu tests and medications.

Officials reports 20 U.S. cases of swine flu in five states so far, with the latest in Ohio and New York. Unlike in Mexico where the same strain appears to be killing dozens of people, cases in the United State have been mild -- and U.S. health authorities can't yet explain why.

"As we continue to look for cases, we are going to see a broader spectrum of disease," predicted Dr. Richard Besser, acting chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "We're going to see more severe disease in this country."

At a White House news conference, Besser and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano sought to assure Americans that health officials are taking all appropriate steps to minimize the impact of the outbreak.

Top among those is declaring the public health emergency. As part of that, Napolitano said roughly 12 million doses of the drug Tamiflu will be moved from a federal stockpile to places where states can quickly get their share if they decide they need it. Priority will be given to the five states with known cases so far: California, Texas, New York, Ohio and Kansas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

San Diego County health officials say travelers "should" keep their plans but are urged to take precautions to avoid getting sick. Signs are now posted throughout the airport reminding passengers to wash their hands and cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough.

"This virus is out there just like the seasonal flu," San Diego County Public Health Officer Wilma Wooten, M.D. said. "The seasonal flu is out there and we still do everything that we normally do so we're not asking people to change their daily habits we're just asking them to be more cautious."

But "unlike" the seasonal flu, the swine flu is a unique strain. There is no vaccine and few people have the antibodies to fight the virus.

International health experts say right now, the Swine flu is spreading at a pace they can't control.

"We cannot say on the basis of currently available laboratory, epidemiological or clinical evidence, whether or not it will indeed cause a pandemic," World Health Organization spokesperson Margaret Chan said.

Symptoms of the Swine flu are similar to the seasonal flu; they include fever, sore throat, muscle aches and vomiting. Anyone with these symptoms should avoid hospitals and other crowded areas and call their doctor right away.

msnbc.msn.com/id/30419855/

Edited by eternal light

i don't know if i got it...but what i can tell you is that i became sick on the 23rd and the next day it was all over the news....My symptoms were inflamed joint pain...heavy fever and the sweats after waking up(My brain felt under attack :( )...lots of flem (could be from going two weeks without smoking)...chest pain if i breath heavy.

I do seem to be getting better...slowly though

all i can tell you people is that it is the time of the season...warm weather is arising.

if i may suggest some ibuprofen liquid gels every 4 hours...earl grey tea...and some Mr.noodles(Totally kick ass)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8021827.stm

WHO flu expert Dr Keiji Fukuda: "Containment is not a feasible operation"

The swine flu virus first detected in Mexico can no longer be contained and countries should focus on mitigating its effects, a top UN official said.

World Health Organization deputy chief Keiji Fukuda was speaking as the WHO raised its alert level to four, or two steps short of a full pandemic.

UN food inspectors are going to Mexico to examine reports that industrial pig farms were the source of the outbreak.

The number of probable deaths from the virus there has risen to 152.

The US, Canada, Spain and Britain have confirmed cases of the virus, but not deaths have been reported outside Mexico.

'Not inevitable'

Alert level four means the virus is showing a sustained ability to pass from human to human and is able to cause community-level outbreaks.

Mr Fukuda said this was a "significant step towards pandemic influenza" but a pandemic should not be considered inevitable.

WHO PANDEMIC ALERT PHASES

Phase 1: No viruses circulating among animals causing infections in humans

Phase 2: Animal influenza virus causes infection in humans, and is considered potential pandemic threat

Phase 3: Influenza causes sporadic cases in people, but no significant human-to-human transmission

Phase 4: Verified human-to-human transmission able to cause community-level outbreaks. Significant increase in risk of a pandemic

Phase 5: Human-to-human transmission in at least two countries. Strong signal pandemic imminent

Phase 6: Virus spreads to another country in a different region. Led Zeppelin announces World Tour Global pandemic under way

The scary thing about this is that the Pandemic of 1918 actually started in early spring of that year and then disappeared only to rise again in the fall. I hate to say it but this is something that has to be taken very seriously. Last I heard, we in Vancouver had 6 confirmed cases :(

What we have now that did not have then are anti-viral drugs, more people can access public health care systems, international co-operation and a lot more knowledge.

Edited by euro

What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, I think the media could just be blowing this whole thing up. But, I don't know. It's always scary when every major news source is broadcasting the same headline: PANDEMIC?? :unsure:

Here's a recent article from MSN.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/?GT1=43001

How's it going "mightyZep?" I just found out yesterday that my friend's child has the swine flu in Fair Oaks, California. Fair Oaks, California is just outside of Sacramento. I just read today that 3 students (My friend's child included) in Fair Oaks, California has the swine flu. What a way to start the week. ROCK ON!

What we have now that did not have then are anti-viral drugs, more people can access public health care systems, international co-operation and a lot more knowledge.

True enough. If nothing else, we'll see just how prepared the world really is to handle such an event.

I didn't mean to set off alarm bells with my post but I think it's better to error on the side of caution at least untill we know just how serious a threat this Swine Flu really is. Like so many have said, proper hygene. The only question that begs though is, What are people not doing the rest of the year :unsure::lol:

hmmm..we're on day 5?

23 days left... :o

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - J. Cash

Edited by bigstickbonzo