Swine Flu

MightyZep

Swine flu: information leaflets to be sent to every house in Britain

10:37AM BST 29 Apr 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-fl...in-Britain.html

The Department of Health said that the leaflets will be sent out next week to the 25 million households in the country.

It follows reports that more than 30 million face masks are being ordered by the Health Department, despite concerns the masks do little to prevent the spread of flu among the general public.

The H1N1 virus (swine flu) is not thought to be nearly as dangerous as the H5N1 strain (bird flu) and if caught early on should cause little more discomfort than the normal flu symptoms.

Anyone who feels flu-like symptoms and may have been in contact with someone who has been to one of the infected areas, is also advised to stay at home, drink plenty of water and take paracetamol.

To try and avoid the spread, people are asked to cover their mouths when coughing, discard of tissues promptly and wash their hands frequently.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's amazing to me that otherwise sane and intelligent people, under these circumstances, when sneezing, do not have the common courtesy to cover their their fucking faces, instead, just let'ner rip!

Edited by The Rover

Closing the Mexican border at least temporarily would seem like the most sensible thing to do but I doubt BO is going to do it. He is counting on the votes for future election and also the census count. Probably more concerned that he might insult the Mexicans than he is about any pandemic. :slapface:

Closing the Mexican border at least temporarily would seem like the most sensible thing to do but I doubt BO is going to do it. He is counting on the votes for future election and also the census count. Probably more concerned that he might insult the Mexicans than he is about any pandemic. :slapface:

Didn't the W.H.O. specifically warn AGAINST doing that?

I don't think its going to be a pandemic. I think it will be like the avian flu. Everyone was scared but the ruckus soon died down

I concur. As usual, everyone blows stuff way out of proportion. I don't think this is any different.

I hope.. :unsure:

I was coming out of the Pharmacy (bought a card, not Tamiflu :) ) couple hours age and saw a man, looked like in his 50's, wearing a face mask. My daughter asked why he was wearing that. My reaction was, people are stupid, lol. As far as i know, there haven't been any confirmed cases in my city (yet).

On the evening news, was reported that scientists say this flu virus is missing an amino acid that would cause a more serious virulency... so that's good news. Basically they said this flu shouldn't cause any more symptoms than the influenza we are already familar with (though people do die from that). They believe this flu is similar to one back in 1957, and that may be why older people aren't getting sick the way the young are (they may have some immunity to it). HOWEVER, they did mention, things could be more serious if this virus "mutates". While panic is certainly occurring, i think this should be taken seriously at the least. The more we stay on top of it, the better. Mexico hasn't been diligent in their efforts unfortunately.

I found this funny... Vice President :) Joe Biden was asked what he would say to a family member wanting to travel by plane. He said he would tell them not to. It takes one sneeze for it to travel to all the passengers on a plane. At least he was honest in his answer.

I dunno I mean, there have been 8 cases over here in England but to be honest the only reason that most of mexio was killed becuase of it was becuase it is an LEDC. Whereas in more developed countries we have the medicine and the help ect...

saying that I did see a couple walking down the streen waring masks.

But my opinion is that it isn't anything majour to worry about-What about the birdflu?

I dunno I mean, there have been 8 cases over here in England but to be honest the only reason that most of mexio was killed becuase of it was becuase it is an LEDC. Whereas in more developed countries we have the medicine and the help ect...

saying that I did see a couple walking down the streen waring masks.

But my opinion is that it isn't anything majour to worry about-What about the birdflu?

I think you meant Britain, here.

On the news it was said that test results confirmed the UK's first person-to-person transmission of swine flu, in a friend of a couple from Scotland who were first in the country to be diagnosed with the virus. I read last night that they actually believe that they contracted the flu on a flight from Mexico.

we can breathe a little easier that it's been established this flu strain is not as virulent as was initially feared. still i will not make it out to be like the stupid media does that the WHO and well themselves the media overreacted to the outbreak. i'd rather much that we overreact than find it too late.

We have a good year to deal with this Hamdemic , I 'm sure we will get through the porkalispe

:unsure: but it's my humble opinion that it's Mother Natures way of say whoaaaaaaa Nelly, Wash Your Hands keep your self hydrated take your vit.c,zinc and euchinacea and practice the cdc guidlines.

CDC

MEXICO CITY – The swine flu epidemic spread deeper into the United States, Europe and Latin America — and in Canada, back to pigs — even as Mexico's health chief hinted Sunday it may soon be time to reopen businesses and schools in the nation where the outbreak likely began.

The virus spread to Colombia in the first confirmed case in South America, worrisome because flu season is about to begin in the Southern Hemisphere. More cases were confirmed in Europe and North America; health officials said at least 934 people have been sickened worldwide.

Dr. Richard Besser, acting chief of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said swine flu is spreading just as easily as regular winter flu.

"The good news is when we look at this virus right now, we're not seeing some of the things in the virus that have been associated in the past with more severe flu," Besser said. "That's encouraging, but it doesn't mean we're out of the woods yet."

On Sunday, health officials raised the number of confirmed U.S. swine flu cases to 241 in 34 states. The new number, up from 160 on Saturday, reflects streamlining in federal procedures and the results of tests by states, which have only recently begun confirming cases, said Dr. Anne Schuchat of the CDC.

Mexican Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said the virus that has killed 19 people in Mexico and sickened at least 506 apparently peaked here between April 23 and April 28. A drastic nationwide shutdown appears to have helped prevent the outbreak from becoming more serious, he said.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090503/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/med_swine_flu

Edited by eternal light

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

I found an old thread about the flu. I figured if there were ever a season that warranted the resurrection of this topic, here we are! To the best of my recollection, I really don't recall the flu being this bad in my life time. I'm not sure why the media isn't milking this story for every last dime.

44 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

I found an old thread about the flu. I figured if there were ever a season that warranted the resurrection of this topic, here we are! To the best of my recollection, I really don't recall the flu being this bad in my life time. I'm not sure why the media isn't milking this story for every last dime.

Trump is keeping everyone busy...

I only got the flu shot when Mrs W was taking chemo. Otherwise my immunity system is very strong. *Knock on wood*

✌🏼

I don't even remember the last time I was sick enough to call in to work.  I think there was an ice storm involved.  However, this year I actually had a low grade fever and had to work from home one day.  I don't know how people who get sick often do it.  I have a new appreciation for Mr ebk who gets sick at least once a year and I am a terrible caretaker.  And I was just (barely) sick and whined for days.  He's a saint... 

Maybe I'll get a flu shot next year.  Maybe.