Swine Flu

MightyZep

Strangely enough  Mrs CP had a flu jab last year and it made her feel dreadful. No shot this year and, touch wood, hasn't had the flu. Neither have I.

Ironically enough some people who she works with have had the flu jab and have gone on to get flu !!. I put it down to our spicy food intake and copious amounts of green ;)

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Strangely enough  Mrs CP had a flu jab last year and it made her feel dreadful. No shot this year and, touch wood, hasn't had the flu. Neither have I.

Ironically enough some people who she works with have had the flu jab and have gone on to get flu !!. I put it down to our spicy food intake and copious amounts of green ;)

I had it late November thru mid December.  Of course the green helped out a great deal with the stomach pain. 

They first started offering a free flu jab at work around 10 years ago, and media was all about how bad the flu season was going to be, so I got the jab. I got the flu several weeks later big time. Knocked me around for the better part of the week. I decided never again (Flu jab) and have not had the flu since. Media hype it every year.

Edited by rm2551

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, kipper said:

***thread bump****

interesting topic in light of current events

Good idea.  There's likely some connection between all of these viruses that seem to originate in China, although I'm not entirely sure what the big picture is yet.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

Good idea.  There's likely some connection between all of these viruses that seem to originate in China, although I'm not entirely sure what the big picture is yet.

Here is an interesting article from the CDC website about the H1N1 virus (Spanish flu pandemic) and the scientific efforts over half a century to find and reconstruct the virus's (RNA) structure in the laboratory to study it. The article details going to Alaska in the '50s and then again in the '90s to unearth flu victims to retrieve lung tissue to compare the current H1N1 strains to what caused the 1918 pandemic.  A fascinating read.

"The Deadliest Flu: The Complete Story of the Discovery and Reconstruction of the 1918 Pandemic Virus"

By Douglas Jordan with contributions from Dr. Terrence Tumpey and Barbara Jester

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

Edited by kipper