The Killers Want To Knock Led Zep Off Their Pedistool

MightyZep

Congratulation's. What do you want, a medal?

That's not my point at all. I'm talking about those that turn a closed ear (and mind) to anything new such as the folks that have previously posted in this thread that have expressed that very viewpoint. Would you prefer music to never progress or evolve?

I think we all get your point for the tenth time, so stop posting.

Obviously everybody doesn't get his point, for even the first time, or he wouldn't have to keep making it. I agree with it, for the record (and I know I had pretty diverse tastes when I was 18, can't speak for Jahfin).

I like the Killers, too, so there!

That's not my point at all. I'm talking about those that turn a closed ear (and mind) to anything new such as the folks that have previously posted in this thread that have expressed that very viewpoint. Would you prefer music to never progress or evolve?

What does me not liking the 'freaking' Killers have to do with my desire for music to evolve or not? Music evolve's and changes all the time, despite what you and I think.

I could probably reel off a list of people I listen to that you might be quite impressed with, but I'm not gonna'. Why?

Cause' I'm not here to impress anybody with my vast taste in music.

Congratulation's. What do you want, a medal? I have a feeling that when you were 18 you're choice of music wasn't so wonderfully diverse as it is now.

That feeling would be wrong. Even as a child in the early 70s my record collection included everything from Zeppelin records to stuff by Waylon Jennings, Earl Scruggs, the Grateful Dead and others. I attribute that to growing up the youngest in a household of six kids who's musical tastes ranged from James Brown and Aretha Franklin to the New York Dolls and Bob Dylan. By the time I was 18 my tastes would have encompassed John Prine, Willie Nelson, Bob Marley, Old & In the Way as well as many, many others.

Not everybody here is 46 yrs. old. Give it a break, man.

How about those that are so closed off to anything besides what they're accustomed to "giving it a break, man"? Even Led Zeppelin didn't make the same records over and over again and managed to incorporate a very diverse array of music styles. I'm n ot even a fan of rap but I think it was very cool that Page was willing to work with Puff Daddy, that John Paul Jones has worked with everyone from R.E.M. to Diamanda Galas and Sonic Youth and that Plant also knows no barriers when it comes to the type of music he does. I guess I'm just surprised that so many fans of Led Zeppelin prefer to be so closed off to anything new when the band itself represented anything but that.

What does me not liking the 'freaking' Killers have to do with my desire for music to evolve or not.Music evolve's and changes all the time, despite what you and I think.

I could reel off a list of people I listen to for you who might be quite impressed with,

but I'm not gonna'. Why? Cause' I'm not here to impress anybody with my vast taste in music.

Nor am I. I'm referring to Flowers' point about the American audience largely being unopen to new music (such as the Killers) and preferring to stick to things they consider safe such as the music of Nirvana and Led Zeppelin.

I can understand that some people react hostile on comments like Flowers's, since he is the one that accuses people of not listening to him, and he is the one that says that they are stuck in old music.

I think it is very narrow minded of him to say things about people which he doesn't even know, and by just saying things like that in newspapers he should not wonder that he gets negative reactions.

It's himself who is narrow minded, cause he seems to think that we are one dull mass of musical barbarians.

Maybe he should once go to the Festival du Desert to enjoy the buzz of completely ignored yet fantastic bands (or at least, bands many people in the world do not know and/or have never heard about)

He could ask Robert Plant how to get there, he knows.

Up to Timbuktu, it's not bout the millions of albums what you sell, it's all about the spirit of music one evokes.

I think Flowers' is right on the money, just take a look at what's popular on the U.S. charts. Some folks (including those that post here) seem to think the only choices available are what's on commercial radio and previously, music television. Thankfully, there are more choices than ever these days to discover new music but some choose not to explore music that deeply. No wonder they long for the past or for all new music to sound just like Led Zeppelin. You have to actually make the effort to seek new music out, it's not going to be handed to you on a silver spoon.

I'm referring to Flowers' point about the American audience largely being unopen to new music (such as the Killers) and preferring to stick to things they consider safe such as the music of Nirvana and Led Zeppelin.

I know, I heard that part, that's how this whole thread started, remember?

And for the record, I totally disagree with Flowers (who the fuck is this guy) statement.

There's just too many examples out there to prove him wrong, and you along with him.

I know, I heard that part, that's how this whole thread started, remember?

Yes, I do but I got the impression you didn't because you accused me of apparently showing off about the vast variety of music I like when that wasn't even my point at all. I cited some of the artists I like in order to qualify my statement that not all of us want music to sound just like Zeppelin or what was popular in the 70s.

And for the record, I totally disagree with Flowers (who the fuck is this guy) statement.

There's just too many examples out there to prove him wrong, and you along with him.

To the contrary, as I previously mentioned, take a look at what's popular on the charts or how predominate the "Classic Rock" radio format is or better yet, read back through this very thread and read some of the posts where some have said they want music to sound just like it did in the 70s. Yes, there are exceptions to that but they're definitely in the minority or else every commercial station on the airwaves would sound just like KEXP or KGSR but they don't, they all sound like carbon copies of each other. Hell, even R.E.M. did a more extensive tour overseas last year for Accelerate than they did in their home country of the U.S. There's a reason for that which is exactly the point Flowers' is making.

I disagree with Flowers too. I think that it has nothing to do with the mental blocks of the listerns (maybe in some cases i guess...) For me it's this simple: if I think it sounds good, I like it. Simple. That's it.

Don't bring Zeppelin into this Flowers. That has nothing to do with it. Either people want to hear the music you make or they don't. Let's not say "They can't let go of Zeppelin!" No. I love Zeppelin and I still love and make room for other music too. Led Zeppelin and Nirvana are not the problem.

For the record, I like the Killers. I just disagree with the stance Flowers is taking.

That feeling would be wrong. Even as a child in the early 70s my record collection included everything from Zeppelin records to stuff by Waylon Jennings, Earl Scruggs, the Grateful Dead and others. I attribute that to growing up the youngest in a household of six kids who's musical tastes ranged from James Brown and Aretha Franklin to the New York Dolls and Bob Dylan. By the time I was 18 my tastes would have encompassed John Prine, Willie Nelson, Bob Marley, Old & In the Way as well as many, many others

Once again, congratulations! Not all of us were brought up to be a musical expert at such a young age.

Maybe that's your problem, I don't know, maybe you were musically spoiled,

and as a result, you just can't understand how others are not as musically advanced as yourself.

I think we've gotten to the bottom of it. I thank you for the backstory on your charmed exposure to music ... that has now led you to becoming the Killers greatest defenders.

Funny how things work out.

Once again, congratulations! Not all of us were brought up to be a musical expert at such a young age.

Maybe that's your problem, I don't know, maybe you were musically spoiled,

and as a result, you just can't understand how others are not as musically advanced as yourself.

I think we've gotten to the bottom of it. I thank you for the backstory on your charmed exposure to music, that has now led you to becoming the Killers greatest defenders.

Funny how things work out.

Where did I ever say I was a "musical expert" or that I'm "musically advanced"? I didn't. I merely used the artists I listed in order to qualify my statement, nothing more, nothing less. As for the Killers, I'm not even a fan. I just so happen to agree with what Flowers said about American audiences. It's all around us, just look at the proliferation of "Classic Rock" stations and some of the posts in this thread (and throughout this entire board for that matter) where some are totally unwilling to experience any new music outside of their comfort zone.

Hell, even R.E.M. did a more extensive tour overseas last year for Accelerate than they did in their home country of the U.S. There's a reason for that which is exactly the point Flowers' is making.

Dude, R.E.M. were fucking huge in the U.S., but it was during the nineties.

They're time is fucking over. Now you're starting to get desperate.

Blame it on Zeppelin or Nirvana (bands who's time will never be over) .....

or their fans, what the hell.

As for the Killers, I'm not even a fan. I just so happen to agree with what Flowers said about American audiences.

Well then, me and you agree on one thing. Neither of us are fans of the Killers.

I'm willing to leave it at that.

Dude, R.E.M. were fucking huge in the U.S., but it was during the nineties.

They're time is fucking over. Now you're starting to get desperate.

I'm not "desperate" at all. I'm just using them as an example of how other audiences are more receptive to them (as well as many, many other artists). If their time was "over" Accelerate wouldn't have done so well on the charts (in the U.S. and elsewhere) and they wouldn't have been playing to sellout crowds overseas. They're simply more popular overseas these days than they are in the U.S. That speaks to how inferior American radio has become and doesn't have a single thing to do with your perception of me being "desperate" or R.E.M.'s "time being over".

Blame it on Zeppelin (a band who's time will never be over) ..... or their fans,

what the hell.

I'm not blaming anything on Led Zeppelin, nor is Flowers. I'm merely stating how unreceptive the American audience is as a whole to anything new and challenging.

I'm not "desperate" at all. I'm just using them as an example of how other audiences are more receptive to them (as well as many, many other artists). If their time was "over" Accelerate wouldn't have done so well on the charts (in the U.S. and elsewhere) and they wouldn't have been playing to sellout crowds overseas. They're simply more popular overseas these days than they are in the U.S. That speaks to how inferior American radio has become and doesn't have a single thing to do with your perception of me being "desperate" or R.E.M.'s "time being over".

I'm not blaming anything on Led Zeppelin, nor is Flowers. I'm merely stating how unreceptive the American audience is as a whole to anything new and challenging.

Ya' know, we could go on and on with this, and just might (cause' obviously neither of us have anything better to do) but since when is what goes on overseas is a 'yardstick' for whats happening in the U.S.? No band truly makes it, or keeps it, unless its done right in

here in the U.S.A.

A couple of good posts but to think that this clown made a good point about people being closed minded to new music is silly. If you bother to listen to the Killers, you might actually notice that there's nothing, not one damn thing original in their songs; they're Pet ShopBoys/Psychedelic Furs derivative, boring songs. There's nothing new about that. So if this guy was quoted correctly, it sounds to me like someone who is unthankful for the fact that he's signed and making a living doing what he's doing, judging his self worth by how many records he's sold, and totally jealous. So at the end of the day, who gives a shit?

A couple of good posts but to think that this clown made a good point about people being closed minded to new music is silly. If you bother to listen to the Killers, you might actually notice that there's nothing, not one damn thing original in their songs; they're Pet ShopBoys/Psychedelic Furs derivative, boring songs. There's nothing new about that. So if this guy was quoted correctly, it sounds to me like someone who is unthankful for the fact that he's signed and making a living doing what he's doing, judging his self worth by how many records he's sold, and totally jealous. So at the end of the day, who gives a shit?

Uh Oh!!! Get ready to be schooled. Jahfin, let him have it.

15 minutes of fame....bless them for having more than that....

Next topic please

Ya' know, we could go on and on with this, and just might (cause' obviously neither of us have anything better to do) but since when is what goes on overseas is a 'yardstick' for whats happening in the U.S.? No band truly makes it, or keeps it, unless its done right in

here in the U.S.A.

I'm not sure I would say a band is successful only when it makes it in the United States.

They are HUGELY successful - why would they be jealous?

Someone else totally missing the point.

here in the U.S.A.

Jeez yeah of course.

How stupid of us all here in the rest of the world. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived