The Killers Want To Knock Led Zep Off Their Pedistool

MightyZep

Being successsful in music has as much to do with luck as anything, I'm sure the Killers guy understands that. Honestly I don't think his rant has anything to do with Led Zeppelin or the music scene in the US but was a great way for him to get press and attention for his band. Obviously it worked, one interview managed to get a whole bunch of people acting like a 12 yr old with a hardcore crush defending a love interest that has been slighted. Anyone that overreacted to this guy's comments has been played.

Being successsful in music has as much to do with luck as anything, I'm sure the Killers guy understands that. Honestly I don't think his rant has anything to do with Led Zeppelin or the music scene in the US but was a great way for him to get press and attention for his band. Obviously it worked, one interview managed to get a whole bunch of people acting like a 12 yr old with a hardcore crush defending a love interest that has been slighted. Anyone that overreacted to this guy's comments has been played.

I don't think it was a question of HIM trying to get attention for the Killers, it was the journalist seizing on yet another opportunity to whip up some phony Zeppelin frenzy (as in "Duane Allman decks Robert Plant!" "Well, he didn't but he wanted to!" "No, it was Jimmy Page!" "No, OK, he didn't want to deck him either, but . . ."). People have certainly been played, but not by Flowers, IMO.

I don't think it was a question of HIM trying to get attention for the Killers, it was the journalist seizing on yet another opportunity to whip up some phony Zeppelin frenzy (as in "Duane Allman decks Robert Plant!" "Well, he didn't but he wanted to!" "No, it was Jimmy Page!" "No, OK, he didn't want to deck him either, but . . ."). People have certainly been played, but not by Flowers, IMO.

Without a doubt journalists seize these moments and find a way for it to become a way for them to get attention too. My problem with crap like the the Allman thing, the Jack Bruce thing and now this is the only people that care about it and react to it are overzealous Zep fans. As long as fans willingly gulp up the bait it will persist.

Without a doubt journalists seize these moments and find a way for it to become a way for them to get attention too. My problem with crap like the the Allman thing, the Jack Bruce thing and now this is the only people that care about it and react to it are overzealous Zep fans. As long as fans willingly gulp up the bait it will persist.

I agree.

Yeah, some of us are older!

Take your own advice.

Someone else reckons, "the old purists just automatically reject it because its not what they're used to".

Bullshit!

Stupid generalisations again.

I'm a purist and I like everything the boys have done either as Led Zeppelin, solo or the collaborations, even Robert & Alison Krauss.

I bought and loved the first cd and I'll buy the second.

Why?

Because it's all different!

Anybody who truly appreciates music accepts that it will change, sometimes for the better and sometimes to the detriment of listeners.

IMO The Killers or Nirvana will never leave the indelible mark on music or a lasting legacy the same as Led Zeppelin have.

Don't believe me?

Well I bet they'll still be playing Zeppelin on radio in thirty years time.

As for The Killers or Nirvana?

I doubt it, but it doesn't mean they aren't any good, just not great.

Yes, but there are SOME PEOPLE who appear not to. These are the specific people I was talking about, I wasn't making generalizations.

And if the Killers will make a mark or blahhblahh has little to do with the point of Brandon's remark. He was making a more general remark about how hard it can be for artists to 'make it' in the U.S. market. In my interpretation.

Yesss thank you!

The red flag with that Duane Allman story (if it can even be called that) is the source, the NY Post. Yeah, it was part of a interview with Trucks that ran in Relix but even they didn't capitalize on that particular angle of it when they very well could have.

I agree. It beats me why Nirvana were being mentioned in the same breath as Zeppelin. I was a fan of theirs, saw them, bought the albums etc but to me they were never more than a 'good' band. Then Cobain blew his head off and semi iconic status for Nirvana followed.

Nirvana wasn't being mentioned in the same breath as Zeppelin in an attempt to compare the two, they were being mentioned as example of artists a good portion of the American audience choses to hold on to without accepting the idea of anything new. As far as Cobain's suicide, yes, it solidified their legend but the impact they had on music had already been made.

I always thought Alice In Chains and Soundgarden were better and more talented bands. I wonder had Eddie Vedder killed himself around the same time if it would be Pearl Jam instead of Nirvana being mentioned.

I think pitting those bands against each other is pointless. Talent (or one's perception of their lack thereof) doesn't even play into it. It was the impact Nirvana had. They were far from the first so-called "grunge" band but they were the first ones to breakthrough in such a huge and highly influential way.

And oooooh, you are not a rap fan.....how terribly narrow minded of you :D

I never said I hated rap or that is shouldn't exist as a musical genre, I said I'm not a fan of it. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate it as a form of music (which I do). That doesn't make me "narrow minded".

I think pitting those bands against each other is pointless. Talent (or one's perception of their lack thereof) doesn't even play into it. It was the impact Nirvana had. They were far from the first so-called "grunge" band but they were the first ones to breakthrough in such a huge and highly influential way.

Yep Nirvana was HUGE before Kurt died. At one point Nevermind was moving something like 300k copies a week in '92. To put that in perspective it took until 1986 for Black Sabbath's first album to sell a million in the US, that was sixteen years after it was released.

Either way the degree of difficulty ie. technique involved to play an artist's music, number of sales or popularity should never be the measuring stick for an artist's worth. Far too many horrible "artists" like Ashlee Simpson outsell great bands like Free and Mott The Hoople.

Neither did I say that it was in this intervieuw that he wanted to be an MTV highlight....that was just my humble conclusion.

And oooooh, you are not a rap fan.....how terribly narrow minded of you :D

There's lots of good rap.....for instance this one (which is logical, since I made this videoclip).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5yrbmvtfJ8

You're a crazy fucker, aren't ya'? I like that.

I never said I hated rap or that is shouldn't exist as a musical genre, I said I'm not a fan of it. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate it as a form of music (which I do). That doesn't make me "narrow minded".

Lol, I was just kidding you (Hence the smiley icon, that yellow round thingy with the grin on the face).....you are a tad too serious from time to time.....lighten up!

Probably. Even Robert Plant has been the enemy of the teeth bearing Zep hoard at time. Nobody is safe but Jimmy and Bonzo.

Page isn't safe either, especially when his guitar strap comes loose.

QUOTE (danelectro @ May 5 2009, 01:40 PM) *

Probably. Even Robert Plant has been the enemy of the teeth bearing Zep hoard at time. Nobody is safe but Jimmy and Bonzo.

Page isn't safe either, especially when his guitar strap comes loose.

Seems we are one big horde of merciless Viking villains after all.

(Sorry, no time to write more, got some plundering to do)

Seems we are one big horde of merciless Viking villains after all.

(Sorry, no time to write more, got some plundering to do)

Your wife called while you were out, she said make sure to set aside some milk and eggs before you torch the Quickie-Mart in Clapton's village.

Your wife called while you were out, she said make sure to set aside some milk and eggs before you torch the Quickie-Mart in Clapton's village.

typical of her,

I guess one day I will sell her on Ebay!

Archived