The Killers Want To Knock Led Zep Off Their Pedistool

MightyZep

Nirvana wasn't being mentioned in the same breath as Zeppelin in an attempt to compare the two, they were being mentioned as example of artists a good portion of the American audience choses to hold on to without accepting the idea of anything new.

I got the impression that some folks in this thread were making the point of how truly great Led Zeppelin and Nirvana were compared to the Killers and that's why people still listen to them.

I personally don't think Nirvana were truly great. That's all I was saying.

As far as Cobain's suicide, yes, it solidified their legend but the impact they had on music had already been made.

His suicide vastly upped the anti and made him semi iconic. That cannot be debated.

I think pitting those bands against each other is pointless.

I don't. Those bands were all from the same part of the U.S in the same era and were all labeled part of the 'Grunge' explosion. If you can't compare the merits of suchlike then what can you compare?????? I know you don't like to compare or have any kind of opinion about what is better than what....................but I do. I also believe that Salt and Vinegar potato crisps are better than Cheese and Onion potato crisps. I like to choose and decide what I think is best. That's just me.

Some people would argue that writing on message boards/forums is pointless.....but we all do what we like doing.

Talent (or one's perception of their lack thereof) doesn't even play into it.

I was a fan of all those mentioned bands and I saw all of them live. I personally thought Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were better bands than Nirvana (especially live) and were more talented. Indeed, out of all the 'Seattle Grunge' releases, the only one that I still listen too often is Sap/Jar of Flies by Alice In Chains.

It's just an opinion. I liked Nirvana, thought they were a good band. Got a bit bored with them after In Utero came out...........then he killed himself.

It was the impact Nirvana had.

Pearl Jam had a lot of impact too. It wasn't only Nirvana that had a significant impact.

They were far from the first so-called "grunge" band but they were the first ones to breakthrough in such a huge and highly influential way.

But again, they weren't the only ones. Cobain's death has a LOT to do with the semi iconic status Nirvana now have.

The U.S. market is really hard to conquer, I guess, and that may have been partly what prompted that remark. But it's basically a silly statement - if he's right, and people are not excited in the same way about new bands as they are about the best stuff from past decades, what do you conclude from that? That they are wrong, perhaps - and that they should be listening to new bands? That's laughable.

And the thing is, the implied comparison doesn't make a lot of sense, because by now we already have decades of rock music - a set of traditions, reference points for those who arrive later on the scene. Take the best of all that, and voila, there you have it - the irritating old stuff that supposedly gets in the way of new music. Well, it doesn't get in the way - but rather made the later music possible.

In the first two decades or so these traditions, all these reference points, were still being created. You can still sense the creative excitement of these times in the music, and it's an atmosphere that can't be recreated later, no matter how you try. I am not arguing that newer bands are no good in general - which would only amount to a simple prejudice - but that the massive excitement which generated the current rock scene is gone, and will never come back. No point in regretting that, because it's perfectly natural: the whole thing was new then - it simply isn't now.

I think that's part of the issue - some people are expecting a repeat of how bands of the 60s/70s exploded onto the scene and as you said, it happened and won't happen again that way. But that doesn't mean new things can't be and haven't been created - it's about evolving and changing which is a good thing IMO.

I think that's part of the issue - some people are expecting a repeat of how bands of the 60s/70s exploded onto the scene and as you said, it happened and won't happen again that way. But that doesn't mean new things can't be and haven't been created - it's about evolving and changing which is a good thing IMO.

Pleasure seeing you, Nine! :wave:

Yeah, I absolutely agree! But so much has changed. Rock used to be a big part of a very real generational rift, whereas now you have 70 yrs olds who dig rock music - and teenagers who are delving into music from the 1960's and 1970's. That whole generational significance has altered beyond recognition... In some ways I think the original Punk scene can be understood as a last, desperate attempt to reinvigorate that generational rift, by turning against the older musicians who had exemplified it earlier - and half-secretly listening to tons of it, as we now know - obviously Bowie, Iggy Pop, Roxy Music, etc. but also so many others.

Hi Nine

Hi Otto

All good points. One other thing that comes to my mind is back then, music was much more of a shared experience. If someone picked up an LP everyone was running over to their house to listen to it. Opinions of bands were shaped by those experiences because you were forced to listen to the whole album and give it a chance. Today, it seems that with downloading etc. you don't have to do that. We've gone back to the day of the single which is exactly what most of us tried to escape when we were younger. I'm not suggesting that this is the sole reason for creative lapses but with so much music ( good and bad ) out there, it's almost impossible to listen to it all. Overkill leads to stress and stress leads to finding a comfort zone if you will.

Hi Nine

Hi Otto

All good points. One other thing that comes to my mind is back then, music was much more of a shared experience. If someone picked up an LP everyone was running over to their house to listen to it. Opinions of bands were shaped by those experiences because you were forced to listen to the whole album and give it a chance. Today, it seems that with downloading etc. you don't have to do that. We've gone back to the day of the single which is exactly what most of us tried to escape when we were younger. I'm not suggesting that this is the sole reason for creative lapses but with so much music ( good and bad ) out there, it's almost impossible to listen to it all. Overkill leads to stress and stress leads to finding a comfort zone if you will.

That's true, Ally - it was about albums, and it was something that drew people together, and they would discuss it in a way that I think is quite different from what you have these days. Also because of the generational divide, but the albums just came off as important new statements, and that's how one used to see them. And of course there was a real effort by many bands to make albums that stood up as a sort of whole statement - not just the prog bands, but also the Kinks "concept" albums, The Who's rock opera, The Beatles's Sgt. Pepper's, etc. I think that is harder to achieve on a CD. The vinyl was an ideal framework for album oriented rock, I believe - I mean, the idea made a lot of sense, with two sides of approximately 20 mins each. It organized your listening experience in a way that is impossible when you are using CDs, because they go on for much longer than the full-attention span of listeners.

Omg what an idiot!! Lmao!

Theres no way a band..like The Killers, nonetheless could knock off Zeppelin..

I just wanna tell them, well maybe you just suck, thats why old bands still sit high on a pedestal. No one can surpass them..maybe if they had some more talent, if any at all. Horrible music, horrible cocky attitudes, cannot knock off the mightest of bands..

The poor man needs help... :lol:

As much as I like vinyl, I think one of the advantages of CDs is being able to listen to an entire album all the way through, uninterrupted. There are some cases where artists use the entire 80 plus minutes available to them but this isn't the case when listening to older albums or when artists make records that are still "vinyl" length such as R.E.M.'s Accelerate from last year. That album was kept to under 40 minutes on purpose to help relive the vinyl experience.

As much as I like vinyl, I think one of the advantages of CDs is being able to listen to an entire album all the way through, uninterrupted. There are some cases where artists use the entire 80 plus minutes available to them but this isn't the case when listening to older albums or when artists make records that are still "vinyl" length such as R.E.M.'s Accelerate from last year. That album was kept to under 40 minutes on purpose to help relive the vinyl experience.

I know what your saying Jahfin and TBH, I love the CD format. I for one was plenty tired of hearing scratches on my favorite LP's :D . There's absolutely nothing wrong with music being an individual experience but I just can't help but think that with so much of it being available free and easy, the whole experience has become jaded to a degree. People on this forum ask the question , What if Zeppelin happened today ? My answer is, I hope they don't release "I Can't Quit You Babe" as a single because, it could blow right by the powers that be and you'd never know they existed. I wonder just how many artists have been brushed aside for that very reason

Funny you guys should bring up the scratch factor when I see so many vinyl enthusiasts say that's one of the very reasons they love it so much. Speaking just for myself, I can't say I ever liked that aspect of vinyl but I do know what they mean (apparently Plant himself shares this affinity, at least I get that impression by listening to his cover of Your Ma Said You Cried [in Your Sleep Last Night]). By the same token, one of the major downfalls of CDs is just how easily they scratch. It's odd now how the "indestructible" aspect was one of their biggest selling points when they first appeared on the market.

As for the vast proliferation of music today, I've always found it a bit strange that so many (especially on boards such as this) complain about the lack of good new music when in fact, it's everywhere and there are even more ways to access it than ever before.

Funny you guys should bring up the scratch factor when I see so many vinyl enthusiasts say that's one of the very reasons they love it so much. Speaking just for myself, I can't say I ever liked that aspect of vinyl but I do know what they mean (apparently Plant himself shares this affinity, at least I get that impression by listening to his cover of Your Ma Said You Cried [in Your Sleep Last Night]). By the same token, one of the major downfalls of CDs is just how easily they scratch. It's odd now how the "indestructible" aspect was one of their biggest selling points when they first appeared on the market.

As for the vast proliferation of music today, I've always found it a bit strange that so many (especially on boards such as this) complain about the lack of good new music when in fact, it's everywhere and there are even more ways to access it than ever before.

Agreed and I'm relying on you to find it for me :lol:

What a sh*t!!!

common man, wake up.

paste that link in another forum!!!

Others gave links why cant I? some times i hate this place so damn anal its sicking.

Others gave links why cant I? some times i hate this place so damn anal its sicking.

Because it's got nothing to do with the topic of the thread, or Zeppelin in general. This is the Zeppelin main forum. You're more than welcome to post links in the "other bands" section. Unless you hate the place too much to bother.

Because it's got nothing to do with the topic of the thread, or Zeppelin in general. This is the Zeppelin main forum. You're more than welcome to post links in the "other bands" section. Unless you hate the place too much to bother.

Read the whole post a few gave links stop being anal, you give zep fans a bad name. plus im sure the link i gave is far above some of your heads musically. hence the crying about the link.

Read the whole post a few gave links stop being anal, you give zep fans a bad name. plus im sure the link i gave is far above some of your heads musically. hence the crying about the link.
:baby:

:blink: And you're whining on the band's official site isn't :huh:

Read the article. I think this is pretty laughable folks. :rolleyes:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-killers/44359

It will never happen, not by any band, ever! For many reasons all in sync with each other.

First of all, Led Zeppelin was a transition band and laid down one of the founding blueprints for rock music. All other music after Led Zeppelin was based on their arangements. Led Zeppelin did to rock, what the early blues legends did to folk music. The music completely changed after that.

Can't replace a founding father. Can't replace the beginning.

The other reason, in regard to the authors complaint that bands are now held down. The industry has also changed with our new media. There wont be mega-bands filling stadiums with 100,000 people...few and far inbetween from here on out. When Zep did it, and Frampton and the Stones, they created the foundation once again. Today its a lot more expensive to pull off and a lot more regulated.

Today, everything is programmed, coriographed, planned, there aren't any accidents.

Back in those days, the music media was extremely limited, both on who was performing it and where we could aquire it. Today, its every where, on everything and in practically every country. There are millions of bands.

Can't replace a founding father, all you can do is carry on their work, maybe if your really good..take it to the next level.

All other music after Led Zeppelin was based on their arangements.

All music?

Today, everything is programmed, coriographed, planned, there aren't any accidents.

Such as Ahmet Ertegun slipping at that Stones concert, the guy that got electrocuted at the Snoop Doggy Dogg show in Charlotte, the concertgoers that got crushed during Pearl Jam's set at Rokslide or the folks that got struck by lightning during the Tibet Freedom Concerts?

Christ Almighty, people make it sound like Zeppelin were the end-all and be-all of music. Frankly, that's an insult to the rest of what music has to offer. Zeppelin weren't the only band to be huge and they won't be the last. Saying Zeppelin are the greatest band ever is purely subjective, since it's not a fact. The fact is, I love them and they're my favourite, but for every person that loves them, someone out there will always hate them. My opinion isn't wrong, and neither is their's.

The Killers might never be able to replicate the success of Zeppelin, but that doesn't mean that they'd be wrong for trying. Zeppelin probably wanted to be more successful than Elvis or the Beatles, but since we all look at them with rose-tinted glasses no one thinks that that is sacrilegious (not that I do). Yet, as soon as someone wants to do to Zeppelin what they did to Elvis and the Beatles, suddenly you're all up in arms.

It's human nature to want to be the best - it's subjective as to whether you are. If you shoot these guys down before they've ever had the chance, you'll never know just how successful they could be. You'd never know whether they could succeed bands like Zeppelin or not. And, in a way, you'd never know just how successful Zeppelin could be in years to come.

Archived