The Killers Want To Knock Led Zep Off Their Pedistool

MightyZep

The other reason, in regard to the authors complaint that bands are now held down. The industry has also changed with our new media. There wont be mega-bands filling stadiums with 100,000 people...few and far inbetween from here on out. When Zep did it, and Frampton and the Stones, they created the foundation once again. Today its a lot more expensive to pull off and a lot more regulated.

You're equating Frampton with Zep and the Stones??

Btw, good post ldw!

Christ Almighty, people make it sound like Zeppelin were the end-all and be-all of music. Frankly, that's an insult to the rest of what music has to offer. Zeppelin weren't the only band to be huge and they won't be the last. Saying Zeppelin are the greatest band ever is purely subjective, since it's not a fact. The fact is, I love them and they're my favourite, but for every person that loves them, someone out there will always hate them. My opinion isn't wrong, and neither is their's.

The Killers might never be able to replicate the success of Zeppelin, but that doesn't mean that they'd be wrong for trying. Zeppelin probably wanted to be more successful than Elvis or the Beatles, but since we all look at them with rose-tinted glasses no one thinks that that is sacrilegious (not that I do). Yet, as soon as someone wants to do to Zeppelin what they did to Elvis and the Beatles, suddenly you're all up in arms.

It's human nature to want to be the best - it's subjective as to whether you are. If you shoot these guys down before they've ever had the chance, you'll never know just how successful they could be. You'd never know whether they could succeed bands like Zeppelin or not. And, in a way, you'd never know just how successful Zeppelin could be in years to come.

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

:goodpost:

I'm just getting fed up with the 'Zeppelin are holier than thou' posts.

I realize such opinions come with the territory, especially on a site devoted solely to Led Zeppelin but it is somewhat reassuring to know that not all of us share the same opinion.

I realize such opinions come with the territory, especially on a site devoted solely to Led Zeppelin but it is somewhat reassuring to know that not all of us share the same opinion.

I hope you don't think I was having a dig at you when I wrote that - I wasn't. I'm sorry if you thought that.

It's just that I know how important this band is to a lot of people, but a lot of people are huge fans of many other bands, too. And to have people basically say that Zeppelin were it - and all we'll ever have - well, it kind of insults all the other great bands out there.

I'm a huge fan, but sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees when you're talking about things like this.

I hope you don't think I was having a dig at you when I wrote that - I wasn't. I'm sorry if you thought that.

It's just that I know how important this band is to a lot of people, but a lot of people are huge fans of many other bands, too. And to have people basically say that Zeppelin were it - and all we'll ever have - well, it kind of insults all the other great bands out there.

I'm a huge fan, but sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees when you're talking about things like this.

I may have worded my response poorly but I was actually agreeing with you. I love lots of other artists and other kinds of music too so it's something I can relate to. Oftentimes I cite the Beatles as my favorite band of all time but it really depends on my mood. Some days it may be them, some days it may be Waylon Jennings or Bob Dylan. It really just depends.

Well said again - it's about perspective to a point. Zep is definitely one of my all time favorite bands but I am pretty passionate about music in general and there are lots of bands I rank high on my list. But even some I may not care for that were influential, I can usually see why they were even if I don't like them.

I may have worded my response poorly but I was actually agreeing with you. I love lots of other artists and other kinds of music too so it's something I can relate to. Oftentimes I cite the Beatles as my favorite band of all time but it really depends on my mood. Some days it may be them, some days it may be Waylon Jennings or Bob Dylan. It really just depends.

I took it the wrong way, as per usual - silly me :bagoverhead:

I know what you mean - Fleetwood Mac are, for me, on level (in terms of being in complete awe) with Zeppelin. And, then, I flit between Heart, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell or Janis Joplin. In my opinion, there are a lot of bands that could've given Zeppelin a run for their money - but, as was the way, they never got the chance. I sometimes wonder if that is what makes Zeppelin a stand-alone band - if you get what I mean.

Well said again - it's about perspective to a point. Zep is definitely one of my all time favorite bands but I am pretty passionate about music in general and there are lots of bands I rank high on my list. But even some I may not care for that were influential, I can usually see why they were even if I don't like them.

Thank you, nine :beer:

Exactly. I wouldn't say I was a huge fan of, say, either the Beatles or the Stones, but I'm not ignorant of how successful they were. I know what turned people on to them, even if they never quite got to me.

While I'm with both you and ldw in acknowledging that Zeppelin aren't the only wonderful and influential band ever, I still have problems with having problems with people saying Zep are their favorite band on a Zep board. :D

While I'm with both you and ldw in acknowledging that Zeppelin aren't the only wonderful and influential band ever, I still have problems with having problems with people saying Zep are their favorite band on a Zep board. :D

I've never had a problem with anyone saying Zep are their favorite band, they're just not my favorite band. What I don't get are those that assign some sort God-like, infallible status to them, or any artist for that matter.

I agree. If you can't say that Zeppelin are the greatest on a Led Zeppelin board then when can you say it? :unsure:

The most annoying thing about that article for me isnt any perceved insult to Zep but rather the idea that The Killers are bringing some kind of revolutionary new sound to the music scene. The reality is there a decent indie band playing the same indie rock we've seen for a good 15-20 years in the UK.

Excellent point Nine. :)

Christ Almighty, people make it sound like Zeppelin were the end-all and be-all of music. Frankly, that's an insult to the rest of what music has to offer. Zeppelin weren't the only band to be huge and they won't be the last. Saying Zeppelin are the greatest band ever is purely subjective, since it's not a fact. The fact is, I love them and they're my favourite, but for every person that loves them, someone out there will always hate them. My opinion isn't wrong, and neither is their's.

The Killers might never be able to replicate the success of Zeppelin, but that doesn't mean that they'd be wrong for trying. Zeppelin probably wanted to be more successful than Elvis or the Beatles, but since we all look at them with rose-tinted glasses no one thinks that that is sacrilegious (not that I do). Yet, as soon as someone wants to do to Zeppelin what they did to Elvis and the Beatles, suddenly you're all up in arms.

It's human nature to want to be the best - it's subjective as to whether you are. If you shoot these guys down before they've ever had the chance, you'll never know just how successful they could be. You'd never know whether they could succeed bands like Zeppelin or not. And, in a way, you'd never know just how successful Zeppelin could be in years to come.

Another excellent point ldw!! :thumbsup:

I've never had a problem with anyone saying Zep are their favorite band, they're just not my favorite band. What I don't get are those that assign some sort God-like, infallible status to them, or any artist for that matter.

Sorry, I thought I remembered you saying something to the effect that you were sick of people saying how great Zep were, to the point of thinking they were the best band ever, when there were so many other great bands, etc. I could well be misremembering your position, I just remember thinking that it was an odd thing to say about a Zep board! :D I certainly agree that no band/artist is godlike or infallible.

I think The Killers are a pretty decent band, although not nearly in Zep territory. I can see his point with the comments he made regarding Led Zep. Although I have embraced LZ's music, I also open myself to good quality new music as well. I'm sure that's part of what he is referring to.

I think The Killers are a pretty decent band, although not nearly in Zep territory. I can see his point with the comments he made regarding Led Zep. Although I have embraced LZ's music, I also open myself to good quality new music as well. I'm sure that's part of what he is referring to.

:yesnod:

Nice to see you Superdave :wave:

Ok, I'll relent. He's obviously superior. :D

Seriously though in my surfs around other websites I think it's Beatles and Elvis fans who are the absolute worst for thinking their favourite artists are the be all and end all. At least most Zeppelin fans are at least knowledgeable about other great acts. A lot of Beatles and Elvis fans couldn't even name more than 3 LZ or Floyd songs.

Archived