Sarm (Island) Studios, May 2009

Humbug

Took a gentle stroll this afternoon from my flat in Bayswater, through Westbourne Grove, and ended up at Basing Street.

It is on this site that Sarm Studios is located, also known as Island Studios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Studios

Used extensively by Led Zeppelin in the early '70s, and probably most famous as the location where "Stairway To Heaven" was (mostly, see below) recorded and mixed.

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=8046423741&

The recording of "Stairway to Heaven" started in December 1970 at Island Records' new Basing Street Studios in London. The song was completed by the addition of lyrics by Plant during the sessions for Led Zeppelin IV at Headley Grange, Hampshire, in 1971. Page then returned to Island Studios to record his guitar solo.

I took a couple of photos, which are reproduced below, as the studio is bathed in sunlight in the late afternoon.

sarm_studios1.jpg

sarm_studios2.jpg

Took a gentle stroll this afternoon from my flat in Bayswater, through Westbourne Grove, and ended up at Basing Street.

It is on this site that Sarm Studios is located, also known as Island Studios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Studios

Used extensively by Led Zeppelin in the early '70s, and probably most famous as the location where "Stairway To Heaven" was recorded and mixed.

I took a couple of photos, which are reproduced below, as the studio is bathed in sunlight in the late afternoon.

sarm_studios1.jpg

sarm_studios2.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks for posting these. I've always wondered what the actual studio(s) looked like.

For me,there's a real energy that resonates from the buildings in which the band created their music.

I've always thought it a good idea to publish a coffee table book about that very subject. Seeing the buildings they created their magic in somehow reinforces that feeling in the mind's eye,if you will.

I've made a small and incomplete attempt to put together a collection of the venues in which Zep played in ( with the generous help of 2 fellow Zep heads) here:

http://www.oldbuckeye.com/Houses_of_the_Holy/

Unfortauntely,it's incomplete and with numerous errors. Hopefully it will be updated one day.

I've even thought it would be interesting to connect all of these sites thru Google Earth where the viewer could "fly" from one venue ( or recording studio) to the next and follow the band's tracks from place to place throughout their recording and touring history.

Either way,thanks for finally bringing this studio to light. I'm surprised its never occured to me to seek it out before !

Brilliant! Thanks for posting these. I've always wondered what the actual studio(s) looked like.

For me,there's a real energy that resonates from the buildings in which the band created their music.

I've always thought it a good idea to publish a coffee table book about that very subject. Seeing the buildings they created their magic in somehow reinforces that feeling in the mind's eye,if you will.

I've made a small and incomplete attempt to put together a collection of the venues in which Zep played in ( with the generous help of 2 fellow Zep heads) here:

Unfortauntely,it's incomplete and with numerous errors. Hopefully it will be updated one day.

I've even thought it would be interesting to connect all of these sites thru Google Earth where the viewer could "fly" from one venue ( or recording studio) to the next and follow the band's tracks from place to place throughout their recording and touring history.

Either way,thanks for finally bringing this studio to light. I'm surprised its never occured to me to seek it out before !

...they are indeed beautiful pic's... and fsmith9095 thank you for your dedication once again for this project....connecting these sites as you mention, what could be better?........a book of LZ concert venues/studios/recordings..well, what fan would not like that idea.........

Perhaps there should be a thread for venues/Studios recordings....I do know there is a thread for all the venues LZ has played with some pictures....on that note, I do have couple of articles re. Eddie Kramer in Guitar World 1986 Edition...not sure if I should post them, here... :D

...they are indeed beautiful pic's... and fsmith9095 thank you for your dedication once again for this project....connecting these sites as you mention, what could be better?........a book of LZ concert venues/studios/recordings..well, what fan would not like that idea.........

Perhaps there should be a thread for venues/Studios recordings....I do know there is a thread for all the venues LZ has played with some pictures....on that note, I do have couple of articles re. Eddie Kramer in Guitar World 1986 Edition...not sure if I should post them, here... :D

Planet Page.

You are more than welcome. I can't take total credit for the venue site as my 2 mates did quite a bit of the heavy lifting. It's sort of stalled as a project now but it would make a good starting point for any Google Earth type project that linked all the venues together.

I'm really surprised that a coffee table book has not been assembLED by one of the more enterprising fans. It certainly would sell. I mean,who wouldn't want to see the studios,venues and other landmarks the band has made famous.

There WAS a similar paperback book published recently called "Zeppelin Crashed Here" about infamous landmarks that were made so by rock bands. Very interesting book. However,Zep is only represented in the title and 2 or 3 stories.

I'd love to see a whole book devoted to the band's haunts with Headley Grange or Bron-Yr-Aur on the cover,of course

And please post the photos from the Guitar World magazine. We'd all love to see them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the post Planetpage. I really enjoyed reading that. I just love to read stuff Ive never read before and can find tons of it looking around here. Thank-you for sharing.

Thank you for the post Planetpage. I really enjoyed reading that. I just love to read stuff Ive never read before and can find tons of it looking around here. Thank-you for sharing.

.......no need to thank, it's just for the love of ZEP. :D I love the above magazine. It is a special Jimmy Page Cover/Issue...all about Jimmy :wub: I'll scan some more interesting articles in the next little while........

also, earlier I scanned the Yardbirds article in the Yardbirds Photo section......

Yeah I don't think they played at Subiaco Oval in Perth. good page though some of those places looked pretty cool

• 4 weeks later...
Nice articles, thank you.

:D

...No prob...still got few more I could scan...it's a great magazine, I got to do one from Robert soon........ :D

.."I'm honored that that's the case" - Page, Guitar World 1986 Special Jimmy Page Issue

Archived