Adam Lambert sings WLL on American Idol

zep4ever

I thought he did a good job. It's tough to take a Zep tune and change it around to fit you and NOT make it a tragedy. I thought he hit the notes well, did a good job of keeping the tempo. Of course it's not Percy...but COME ON!! Were any of you actually expecting that? For what it was, i thought he did Zep justice and himself as well. Hard to hate a guy who was the FIRST one to have the balls to tackle Zep.

P.S. To all those mad that Zep was used on A.I........get over it. Cadillac, P. Diddy (WHY JIMMY???), iTunes, and commercials out the arse for Mothership have already been made available to the public. Let it stand out as a compliment. ;)

I thought he did a good job. It's tough to take a Zep tune and change it around to fit you and NOT make it a tragedy. I thought he hit the notes well, did a good job of keeping the tempo. Of course it's not Percy...but COME ON!! Were any of you actually expecting that? For what it was, i thought he did Zep justice and himself as well. Hard to hate a guy who was the FIRST one to have the balls to tackle Zep.

I don't hate him or his performance. Why should I? I hardly know anything about him. All I'm saying is I think he did it ok but not that excellent in my eyes/ears.

I listened to some songs he had sung in the past this afternoon. Sure he's got the pipes, but a good voice doesn't automatically turn someone into a good singer. His performances are, IMO, too theatrical and exaggerated for Zeppelin songs. And it's not always neccesary to screech. Slash told him "not to improvise too much in the high register" and I think he was right about this.

;):yesnod:

Yes!

I am so glad that the Js decided not to replace Robert, because the Adam thing really illustrates all the elements Robert has that make him the only singer for Led Zeppelin (vocal ability, intelligence, humor, whimsy/playfulness, soul, sex appeal, quick on his feet, able to connect with the audience, trusted by the band, and more). Other singers may have some of that, but nobody has the whole package, and we would all be disappointed with anything less.

And part of what we love about Zeppelin are the imperfections and improvisations.

I see Adam as a clean cut boy dressing up like a rocker and doing a really impressive karaoke.

I don't hate him or his performance. Why should I? I hardly know anything about him. All I'm saying is I think he did it ok but not that excellent in my eyes/ears.

I listened to some songs he had sung in the past this afternoon. Sure he's got the pipes, but a good voice doesn't automatically turn someone into a good singer. His performances are, IMO, too theatrical and exaggerated for Zeppelin songs. And it's not always neccesary to screech. Slash told him "not to improvise too much in the high register" and I think he was right about this.

Agree, he's a very good singer, a great voice, but too polished for a raw delivery that a song like WLL. Too theatrical is right. He's missing that fire down below quality that the song really calls for

I actually liked it!! It was nice for a Rock and Roll night, and whats a rock and roll night without Zeppy? I mean, of course in a bajillion years it can never be better than Robby (NO ONES better than him, and like someone said early, we're all listening through Robert biased ears :lol: !!) I was actually saying to myself the whole time (And occasionally telling my parents) that "But no ones better than Mr. Plant!" I guess we're all faithful to Robby ^_^ ! But all in all, he did a good job :thumbsup: !

I read somewhere that Simon Cowell's favorite band is Led Zeppelin, so I wouldn't be surprised if he personally made arrangements for Adam to get rights to sing it just for last night (as he was probably the only one who could pull off singing it closer than anyone else they've ever had on the show).

Also, with Slash on there, I wouldn't doubt it if Adam turns out to be Slash's new singer for VR. We'll see. Maybe, they're waiting to see him win it first and go from there to make an announcement.

R B)

I thought he rocked, being the huge Adam fan that I am! I too was very happy to see a Zep song covered on Idol because it has never been done before and Simon calling it "one of the greatest rock songs ever". Super cool! Wonder if Slash will hire him as the new singer for Velvet Revolver? That would be awesome. :D

I LOVE Adam Lambert!!!!!

I posted last week (master forum>who would be a good Plant replacement) re:

IF Robert chooses not to rejoin J, J & J, & they are going to go ahead with or without Robert, then Adam's the ONLY guy. I thought WLL was excellent, but I thought he did even better on Born to be Wild a few weeks ago. Maybe because he WASN'T coached (per Slash on WLL) to hold back on the high notes/improvising that night. If you go to www.americanidol.com>videos>performances, WATCH Born to Be Wild. It's incredible. There's an octave in there that gives me goosebumps every time. Also watch Ring of Fire (will remind you of RP), Mad World (made me cry), and Tracks of my Tears (Smokey R gave him a standing ovation). The "studio" (audio) arrangements on iTunes are mostly crap-they need new arrangers/mixers-Ring of Fire & Mad World are pretty good. I haven't heard the studio version of Born to be Wild yet.

:notworthy:

it was decent, definitely better than alot of covers out there. But far from amazing like its being made out to be.

To compare it to Robert like some of you have isnt a good thing, because its NOT him. Anyway, his singing was a little to, idk, jus like it belongs with some 80s hair band more than a godly 70s band.

Robert Plant is the Golden God, and Adam Lambert is the Dark Deity. I'm mesmerized by both.

I saw a great post somewhere that described Adam Lambert's performance of "Ring of Fire":

Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd and The Moody Blues dropped acid & reincarnated a young Elvis Presley (the guy who wrote it went by Millas).

People are also comparing Adam to Grace Slick & Axl Rose. The first time I heard him, I thought of a combo of Plant, Mercury, & Hutchence.

Robert Plant is the Golden God, and Adam Lambert is the Dark Deity. I'm mesmerized by both.

I saw a great post somewhere that described Adam Lambert's performance of "Ring of Fire":

Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd and The Moody Blues dropped acid & reincarnated a young Elvis Presley (the guy who wrote it went by Millas).

People are also comparing Adam to Grace Slick & Axl Rose. The first time I heard him, I thought of a combo of Plant, Mercury, & Hutchence.

the "Dark Deity" :hysterical:

I disagree that Adam's too theatrical for Zep. Am I the only one that thinks Robert was/is kind of a drama queen too (not in a bad way!)? As far as where did the sexuality go, there's only so much you can do on prime time tv! When he did "Ring of Fire" for country week, that was the first time I realized how sexual the lyrics were, because of the way he sang it. Some people were so upset that he didn't do it "country" style, more like Johnny Cash, that they posted things like "it was terrorism", and "it was Satanic"!

Adam had to do a shortened version of WLL, and probably had little rehearsal time with the band. He didn't have Jimmy Page to complement his singing. (The arrangements the singers have to deal with on that show are usually overblown, & commercial crap. Especially the iTunes versions.) He was coached by Slash to hold back, which I disagreed with in this case. Adam's held back on ballads like Tracks of My Tears and Mad World, impeccably. If you can handle over the top, vocally, what better song to go over the top on, than WLL (WATCH the video of Born to be Wild-I would have loved for him to do WLL more like that, where he held nothing back)?

I LOVE ZEP's WLL, but it's not the best MELODY Zep wrote. I think there are other Zep songs that might have worked even better for Adam. I think he would have blown the place apart with Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' (Journey-don't jump on me-I just think the song fits Adam's voice/personality). I agree with whoever said just because Adam's gay (I assume), it doesn't mean women don't find him TOTALLY sexy when he sings something like WLL!

Hey, music's partly subjective, so it's cool everyone can express their opinions, & there's no right or wrong answers.

PS I know he's NOT Robert Plant-I just love them both:)

I haven't had time to watch TV this week, and every time I stick my head outside somebody leaps on me to ask what I thought of that guy doing Zep on American Idol. So I've been cagey and said what good taste he has. <_<

I'm gonna be furious if he's a genius and I wasn't the first to tell everybody. :angry:

I haven't had time to watch TV this week, and every time I stick my head outside somebody leaps on me to ask what I thought of that guy doing Zep on American Idol. So I've been cagey and said what good taste he has. <_<

I'm gonna be furious if he's a genius and I wasn't the first to tell everybody. :angry:

definitely NOT genius. you didnt miss much.

definitely NOT genius. you didnt miss much.

Now I know why I do not watch it. And Slash Keeping a straight face in analyzying his vocal. He had to be getting paid not to laugh.

Here you are PLANT. Had to make you happy. He would not even open an eye at that preformance last light. But if he was really pissed he might think were are my mates lets show them how it is done and if they did forgive him which they would, as long as he signed " THE CONTRACT" they would destroy and control the domain known as ROCK AND ROLL. God I hate when I wake up from a dream.

Oh, but the boy was declared nothing less than a rock God by one of the judges. :rolleyes:

The judges were over the top. One of them (sorry I don't watch AI and don't know her name, Paula?) said she "never thought a Zeppelin song could have been improved" before.

So Adam Lambert has improved Robert Plant's singing? Beyond laughable.

The judges were over the top. One of them (sorry I don't watch AI and don't know her name, Paula?) said she "never thought a Zeppelin song could have been improved" before.

So Adam Lambert has improved Robert Plant's singing? Beyond laughable.

I was really disappointed by the judges' comments. Nothing anyone can say will convince me to become an Adam fan. He almost gets me when he sings in the lower registers, but when he throws out that awful shrieky vibratto, my eardrums shatter (and not in a good way). :blink:

I was really disappointed by the judges' comments. Nothing anyone can say will convince me to become an Adam fan. He almost gets me when he sings in the lower registers, but when he throws out that awful shrieky vibratto, my eardrums shatter (and not in a good way). :blink:

I definately understand where you're coming from on this. Sometimes I want to scream through the tv "back off the high notes!" That's what he doesn't get. What he doesn't get, is also what makes Plant SO GREAT. Plant has that soulful lower register that he uses MORE than he uses the banshee cry (alas, the banshee cry is also quite soulful when done by Robert).

However, I think that if someone could work with Adam on the issues of high vs. low range and when not to use it(or if he would listen, cause Slash tried to tell him) then things would greatly improve. He WOULD get you when he sings on those low notes. Cause the boy does have talent. However misguided.

Archived