Adam Lambert sings WLL on American Idol

zep4ever

I thought Adam deserved to win AI, but glad he doesn't have to actually be under their control, etc.! B) He is so good looking and I loved all of his performances! I liked Kris toward the last few weeks of the season and it was kinda cool that an underdog could win. I can't wait to buy Adam's CD and I would love to see him do a gig with Queen! I hope he sings some more Zepp songs when he does his solo tour.

C'mon Jimmy, PLEASE call Adam!

Before Queen beats you to it

Did you see Adam with Kiss & Queen?

Adam needs a band & you need a singer!

And I love Zep way more than Queen, so I want you to get him!

If you choose Adam, how about using the name DAM Zeppelin (as Led was an alt spelling of Lead, Dam-from Adam-could be an alt spelling of Damn)? This would give the band continuity, while respecting that LED Zeppelin was Robert's alone!

:elvis:

If you choose Adam, how about using the name DAM Zeppelin (as Led was an alt spelling of Lead, Dam-from Adam-could be an alt spelling of Damn)? This would give the band continuity, while respecting that LED Zeppelin was Robert's alone!

I don't think Adam needs a band. I think he will do well on his own. "DAM" Zeppelin as a possible new name choice? :huh: Sorry, I can't follow that. Sounds a bit too weird to me.

I don't think Adam needs a band. I think he will do well on his own. "DAM" Zeppelin as a possible new name choice? :huh: Sorry, I can't follow that. Sounds a bit too weird to me.

I don't think Adam needs to join a band either..although i would be VERY intrigued to see what he could do with Queen. I almost wish there was a way he could do both! Time will tell just WHAT he will do..........

Sharon

Yeah, but Zep's singer is still alive. Going behind Plant's back seems rather back-stabbish to me.

Adam's performance of Whole Lotta Love is up on iTunes, in case anyone is interested.

I'm sorry to you Adam fans, but this is a pale, pale imitation. All high end, no balls, no soul. The dude has nice pipes, but it sounds most like Steve Perry trying to sing a Zeppelin tune. Just because Steve Perry has great pipes doesn't mean he could sing Zeppelin right, and the same is true for this guy.

It's not just about hitting the high notes (since Plant didn't always do that, in fact ;)). It's about singing with guts and blues and soul. This sounds sort of what Zep would sound like if they became one of those permanent Las Vegas acts, without Plant.

No thanks.

I thought Adam deserved to win AI, but glad he doesn't have to actually be under their control, etc.! B) He is so good looking and I loved all of his performances! I liked Kris toward the last few weeks of the season and it was kinda cool that an underdog could win. I can't wait to buy Adam's CD and I would love to see him do a gig with Queen! I hope he sings some more Zepp songs when he does his solo tour.

Could Adam Lambert Become Queen's New Front Man?

By Adam Bryant

Mon May 25, 7:52 AM PDT

If you thought Adam Lambert looked like a natural fit with iconic rockers Queen during American Idol's finale, you weren't the only one.

Hours after it was announced that Lambert was Season 8's runner-up last week, widespread speculation began circulating that the 26-year-old singer had been offered a job as Queen's new front man. While that's not true yet, guitarist Brian May isn't ruling out the possibility.

"Amongst all that furor, there wasn't really a quiet moment to talk. But [drummer Roger Taylor] and I are definitely hoping to have a meaningful conversation with him at some point," May told Rolling Stone. "It's not like we, as Queen, would rush into coalescing with another singer just like that. It isn't that easy. But I'd certainly like to work with Adam. That is one amazing instrument he has there."

Queen recently ended a four-year relationship with Paul Rodgers, who was handling the vocal duties for the band.

Lambert auditioned for Idol with Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and instantly became a buzzed-about contender for the show's Top 36. His revved-up, glam-rock numbers and hauntingly restrained ballads made him the front-runner all season before ultimately coming up short. While the show has produced more pop artists than rockers, May recognizes that springboard it provides young artists.

For now, Lambert must first complete the 50-city tour with his fellow Top 10 members, and the Idol producers, 19 Entertainment, will likely have first dibs on anything Lambert does next. May said whatever happens, he's excited to see what Lambert and Idol winner Kris Allen (who also shared the stage during "We Are the Champions") do next.

"Both those boys are well worthy of big success," May said. "So it's pointless for someone like me to stand on the sidelines jeering. I'm confident Adam will make great use of this wonderful opportunity. I hope I'm there to see it."

Does nothing for me. It doesn't matter what he sings. The "80's hair metal voice" has never really done anything for me and that's what he reminds me of. Besides, there are people in cover bands all over the world that do pretty much the same thing on a daily basis so I don't see why everyone is so impressed by Adam Lambert. Furthermore, his look is too over-the-top. Trying too hard to get all the cliche rock accessories/stylings which he probably thinks makes him more rock star but I think he's trying way too hard. Decent voice, but no passion.

Does nothing for me. It doesn't matter what he sings. The "80's hair metal voice" has never really done anything for me and that's what he reminds me of. Besides, there are people in cover bands all over the world that do pretty much the same thing on a daily basis so I don't see why everyone is so impressed by Adam Lambert. Furthermore, his look is too over-the-top. Trying too hard to get all the cliche rock accessories/stylings which he probably thinks makes him more rock star but I think he's trying way too hard. Decent voice, but no passion.

I totally agree with you. People like him are common, especially in this era of reality music tv.

I'm sorry to you Adam fans, but this is a pale, pale imitation. All high end, no balls, no soul. The dude has nice pipes, but it sounds most like Steve Perry trying to sing a Zeppelin tune. Just because Steve Perry has great pipes doesn't mean he could sing Zeppelin right, and the same is true for this guy.

It's not just about hitting the high notes (since Plant didn't always do that, in fact ;)). It's about singing with guts and blues and soul. This sounds sort of what Zep would sound like if they became one of those permanent Las Vegas acts, without Plant.

No thanks.

WOw--I totally agree with you!!! Great assessment on the WLL....you nailed it with your statement about guts and blues and soul..Adam Lambert just doesn't have that, the way Plant did (does). Hence why the performance felt so sterile to me...no soul!!!

Sharon

For now, Lambert must first complete the 50-city tour with his fellow Top 10 members, and the Idol producers, 19 Entertainment, will likely have first dibs on anything Lambert does next. May said whatever happens, he's excited to see what Lambert and Idol winner Kris Allen (who also shared the stage during "We Are the Champions") do next.

omg.yahoo.com/news/at-t-may-have-swayed-idol-outcome-to-favor-kris-allen

I think that the vote rigging was worse than what At&t is saying that it is. The last 3 weeks of the show, voters were having problems with their votes being given to contestants they didnt vote for. What a mess. :(

I think that the vote rigging was worse than what At&t is saying that it is. The last 3 weeks of the show, voters were having problems with their votes being given to contestants they didnt vote for. What a mess. :(

wow---hadn't heard this!..about votes going to the wrong contestants?? (i.e. not who they voted for)

Sharon

It was a hot topic on the AI forums, the last weeks of the show. People were asking what they should do about it or if anything could be done. Apparently, voters were getting confirmation texts saying "thanking you for voting for Kris" when the person voted for Adam. This started happening when they were down to the final three. Danny Gokey voters got shafted too. I havent heard an official announcement about this. So, it looks like nothing will done about it. They need to change the voting system. I voted last year for David Cook but didnt vote this year. I won't vote again after this fiasco.

I've read this article on the internetz recently, don't know if it has been posted around here:Adam Lambert is the 21st century Freddie Mercury

How's it going "Xtazy?" Thanks for the link, I was wondering when these comparisons would arise and come up. It didn't take very long did it? One things for certain, this whole ADAM LAMBERT/QUEEN issue has sure generated a lot of publicity worldwide. ROCK ON!

• 2 weeks later...

No thanks.

QUOTE (ZeppyNetters @ May 23 2009, 08:13 PM)

Yeah, but Zep's singer is still alive. Going behind Plant's back seems rather back-stabbish to me.

I just caught up with the posts on this thread. I don't think I'd checked it since Kris was declared the winner. Idol is old news now, relative to our short news cycles. Maybe no one is checking this thread anymore, but I wanted to follow up my previous comments/reply to some of yours.

1. There were more posts/threads on the idol website for Adam than for all the other 12 contestants combined. The ratio for Adam/Kris was over 12:1. That makes me question how likely it was that Kris got more votes.

2. Idol is a FOX program. While everyone directly working on Idol may have been honest, I have no problem believing the network that brings us Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Oliver North & so on would fix the results, in order to not have a perceived (use that word because I don't know if Adam's out, which is his business) homosexual as their poster boy.

3. I don't think Adam was trying to imitate Robert Plant. If you listen to the full length version on iTunes, he changed many of the notes and at least one of the words.

4. Some of the criticism of Adam seems to be based on the fact that he's too different from Robert Plant, and then it's turned around and he's criticised on the basis that there IS only one Robert Plant (and therefore Adam shouldn't sing Robert's songs or sound in any way like him). I disagree that he has no balls/soul.

5. There are some nasty comments implying fans of Adam lack musical discretion or sophistication. Also that Adam's fans do not understand Robert Plant's uniqueness.

I think you can love both singers for who they are, and I don't think the fact that I love Adam's singing as much as Robert's (for different qualities) diminishes how I feel about Robert. I don't think Adam is only about singing high notes. And I often found his singing very emotional (as opposed to staged/theatrical) - I cried more than once when he sang. It remains to be seen whether the material Adam releases is something I'm interested in, or if it will stand the test of time, as Robert's stunning discography has undeniably done.

6. Adam mentioned in an interview (sometime the week after the results) that he had been pegged early in the season as the "broadway" guy. He said he has done a lot of musical theater, but that he also had a band and wrote (or co-wrote) original material. He didn't know why that part of his background was virtually ignored on Idol. He wants to continue to write.

7. As far as back-stabbish to Plant: Before this season of Idol, I posted on a post-Zep Plant site that I did NOT think Zep should reform w/o Plant. There were rumors that the 3 J's were going to reform, whether Robert joined them or not, and that Robert had turned them down. I said if they did reform without him, there was no way they should use the name Led Zeppelin. If they were not Led Zep without John Bonham, it made no sense they could be Led Zep without John AND Robert, who had a more critical role in the band. I still feel they should NOT use the name "Led Zeppelin" without Robert. But if they're going to reform without him, I do think Adam would be the best choice for a band w/Jimmy John Paul & Jason, under a new name. If it's a name that's a variation on Led Zeppelin, that's ok with me.

8. If this is the wrong section of the forum for a post about Adam/Idol, sorry.

Someone started it under news, and I'm sure they meant no harm. It could go under the section for other bands/musicians. Does it really matter that much? I agree that if there's a topic you don't want to read about, then don't read about it. As long as there isn't something blatantly inappropriate, I support it being here. That's one thing I really like about this site/the forums. I used to go on another Plant site & got some snippy feedback about my posts not being appropriate, because they went too far outside Plant's solo career, & they were deleted (One of those times was when I posted about #7 above: I got my wrists slapped, and then what do you know, the person posted something very similar on her blog!). I hope we can agree to disagree on music, because everyone has different taste, and there's not a right/wrong answer (Unless of course you think Mylie Cyrus is a GREAT singer. JK-you can think that if you want!).

Oh well. I was long winded, I know. And there may be no point as I may be the only one who sees this. But if you took the time to read it, thanks!

I don't know why our stupid old iMac posts so many of my posts twice. If I notice them, I go into the duplicate & edit it, replacing the duplicate with a message like this. Sorry.

I've read this article on the internetz recently, don't know if it has been posted around here:Adam Lambert is the 21st century Freddie Mercury

Thanks for the link-I just read it. No doubt there's a Queen forum somewhere where fans are in a heated debate over whether mentioning Adam Lambert in the same breath as Freddie Mercury, or suggesting Adam sing with Queen, are blasphemy...Since I've also seen comparisons of Adam to Grace Slick & ELVIS, folks on those sites are probably having the same debate! I suppose the Elvis fans will have the strongest opinions of all-even the Golden God himself worships Elvis! :elvis:

(I can't say whether Adam sings like Elvis, because I confess I haven't listened to a lot of Elvis, but when Adam does that thing with his upper lip, it LOOKS just like what Elvis did. I love it. Because Elvis was such a huge influence on the musicians I love most, I am very grateful he was who he was. Maybe one day I'll become a big Elvis fan. I was sure late in coming to Plant! As far as singers from Elvis's era, DARIN is my guy. If you think he only sang songs like Mack the Knife & Splish Splash, think again. He has more in common with Robert than you'd probably guess, including Ahmet Ertegun, & singing "If I Were A Carpenter". But that's another thread:)

I just caught up with the posts on this thread. I don't think I'd checked it since Kris was declared the winner. Idol is old news now, relative to our short news cycles. Maybe no one is checking this thread anymore, but I wanted to follow up my previous comments/reply to some of yours.

1. There were more posts/threads on the idol website for Adam than for all the other 12 contestants combined. The ratio for Adam/Kris was over 12:1. That makes me question how likely it was that Kris got more votes.

2. Idol is a FOX program. While everyone directly working on Idol may have been honest, I have no problem believing the network that brings us Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Oliver North & so on would fix the results, in order to not have a perceived (use that word because I don't know if Adam's out, which is his business) homosexual as their poster boy.

3. I don't think Adam was trying to imitate Robert Plant. If you listen to the full length version on iTunes, he changed many of the notes and at least one of the words.

4. Some of the criticism of Adam seems to be based on the fact that he's too different from Robert Plant, and then it's turned around and he's criticised on the basis that there IS only one Robert Plant (and therefore Adam shouldn't sing Robert's songs or sound in any way like him). I disagree that he has no balls/soul.

5. There are some nasty comments implying fans of Adam lack musical discretion or sophistication. Also that Adam's fans do not understand Robert Plant's uniqueness.

I think you can love both singers for who they are, and I don't think the fact that I love Adam's singing as much as Robert's (for different qualities) diminishes how I feel about Robert. I don't think Adam is only about singing high notes. And I often found his singing very emotional (as opposed to staged/theatrical) - I cried more than once when he sang. It remains to be seen whether the material Adam releases is something I'm interested in, or if it will stand the test of time, as Robert's stunning discography has undeniably done.

6. Adam mentioned in an interview (sometime the week after the results) that he had been pegged early in the season as the "broadway" guy. He said he has done a lot of musical theater, but that he also had a band and wrote (or co-wrote) original material. He didn't know why that part of his background was virtually ignored on Idol. He wants to continue to write.

7. As far as back-stabbish to Plant: Before this season of Idol, I posted on a post-Zep Plant site that I did NOT think Zep should reform w/o Plant. There were rumors that the 3 J's were going to reform, whether Robert joined them or not, and that Robert had turned them down. I said if they did reform without him, there was no way they should use the name Led Zeppelin. If they were not Led Zep without John Bonham, it made no sense they could be Led Zep without John AND Robert, who had a more critical role in the band. I still feel they should NOT use the name "Led Zeppelin" without Robert. But if they're going to reform without him, I do think Adam would be the best choice for a band w/Jimmy John Paul & Jason, under a new name. If it's a name that's a variation on Led Zeppelin, that's ok with me.

8. If this is the wrong section of the forum for a post about Adam/Idol, sorry.

Someone started it under news, and I'm sure they meant no harm. It could go under the section for other bands/musicians. Does it really matter that much? I agree that if there's a topic you don't want to read about, then don't read about it. As long as there isn't something blatantly inappropriate, I support it being here. That's one thing I really like about this site/the forums. I used to go on another Plant site & got some snippy feedback about my posts not being appropriate, because they went too far outside Plant's solo career, & they were deleted (One of those times was when I posted about #7 above: I got my wrists slapped, and then what do you know, the person posted something very similar on her blog!). I hope we can agree to disagree on music, because everyone has different taste, and there's not a right/wrong answer (Unless of course you think Mylie Cyrus is a GREAT singer. JK-you can think that if you want!).

Oh well. I was long winded, I know. And there may be no point as I may be the only one who sees this. But if you took the time to read it, thanks!

Hi zeppy netters!

Well I DID read your whole post--found it quite interesting especially the fact that Adam got 12 times the posts of all other Idols. And who knows..was it conspiracy, or just getting all of Danny's votes that put Kris on top?/ We'll never know--but I think it is SO much better for Adam that he did NOT win--much more FREEDOM for him.

Did you see that he is on the cover of the Rolling Stone? Can't wait to read it...should be interesting. I find it quite amazing that he got a COVER..wow...even before his album ever got released!!

Sharon

• 2 months later...

I apologise in advance if I annoy anyone by posting here, but I have been a Zepplin fan for many years, and have recently become an Adam Lambert fan after finding him while channel hopping a few months ago. I am in no way an American Idol fan or a fan of any of those other shows.

I just thought that some of you may be intrested in how Adam is singing WLL now on the American Idol Tour, that is the full version with minimal censorship.

He isn't Robert Plant, but that's no bad thing, who wants a copycat anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqpFDEQBI_4

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Anyone else catch his performance? (Yes, I admit that I watch American Idol LOL)

Pretty damn impressive and he hit all the notes.

Surprised because I didn't think the Zeppelin catalog was available for use by Idol.

Not surprising,he do no how to (w)right music,not very,.... knot berry,...

KB

Archived