THE HEART THREAD!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that the week is treating all of you well. I haven't written a thread in a while and I figured that since I am on vacation for two weeks, now is the best time to do some writing. Whats even better is that my mandatory overtime is officially over, THANK GOD! I would really like to officially make this month 1970's month here on the Forum! Why, because I feel that it is my responsibility as an older fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic, to bring the 1970's to all of the young men and women here on the forum that were either not born yet or were too young to remember. I would also hope that the other older ZEPPELIN fanatics here on the Forum would feel the same way as I do. I really think that it is great that there are so many young people here on the Forum that love ZEPPELIN and yet, were not even around during their incredible reign.

There have been many great Female Icons that have graced us and have passed through Popular Music's most glorious history. I am talking about Female Icons such as Billie Holliday, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick, Stevie Nicks, Karen Carpenter, Pat Benatar, Diana Ross, Carole King and Carly Simon to name a few. But there is one woman that truly deserves to be listed along side all of these elite women. Her accomplishments and achievements in the Rock n' Roll world has earned her the right in being called one of the Top 5 QUEEN'S OF ROCK N' ROLL along side JANIS JOPLIN, GRACE SLICK, STEVIE NICKS and PAT BENATAR.

Which now brings me to the band that I am about to write about. My next choice out of many bands to write a thread about is a band that needs no introduction the world over. If there are other threads on this band written here on the Forum, this thread will be an attachment and addition to them. This is the story of two sisters: the Lead Singer in this band is hailed as one of the all-time greatest female icons ever while the other is hailed as one of the all-time greatest bad ass female Rhythm Guitarists ever. The name of the band is HEART, and the two sisters that I am referring to is none other than Ann Wilson and her sister, Nancy Wilson. So without further delay, AND AWAY WE GO!

Sister's Ann and Nancy Wilson were originally born and raised in Canada but would soon move to America by way of Seattle. Both Ann and Nancy had the Rock n' Roll bug at a very early age. While they idolized their band, thats right you guessed it, the mighty LED ZEPPELIN, Ann and Nancy had a dream of their own. The two sister's had a dream and goal in taking Rock n' Roll to another level and dimension. Their music had a great Hard Rock sound to it and had great rhythm. But what no one expected was for Ann Wilson's blistering angelic high vocal ranges to take you on a Rock n' Roll journey up to the heavens and break down the barriers by kicking the heavenly doors wide open and daring to ROCK HEAVEN DOWN! And Ann did just that! Ann sang her songs with such grace, beauty and conviction, that she dared to get every guy off in the audience. In my opinion, besides JANIS JOPLIN, STEVIE NICKS and KAREN CARPENTER, Ann Wilson is an angel sent from heaven. Ann has a voice of an angel. Just when you think that Ann has hit the peak with her high vocal ranges, she dares to push her limits even further into unknown territory.

All of HEART'S albums are a true testiment to the brilliance and sheer creativity of two sister's that have captured and touched everyone throughout the whole world. HEART has left left their mark in Rock history by giving us a resume of many great studio albums such as: DREAMBOAT ANNIE (1976), LITTLE QUEEN (1977), DOG & BUTTERFLY (1978), MAGAZINE (1978), BEBE LE STRANGE (1980), PRIVATE AUDITION (1982), PASSIONWORKS (1983), HEART (1985), BAD ANIMALS (1987), BRIGADE (1990), DESIRE WALKS IN (1993), JUPITERS DARLING (2004) and ANN WILSON'S solo album HOPE & GLORY (2007). Ann and Nancy also formed a band called THE LOVEMONGERS and recorded an album called WHIRLYGIG in 1998. All of these albums redefined female Rockers and took Rock n' Roll to another level unimagined.

HEART'S songs are also precious treasures that are timeless because they gave Rock n' Roll a huge boost and a new breath of fresh air. The list is long but I'll name a few and are as follows: "Magic Man," "Crazy On You," "Barracuda," "Love Alive," "Kick It out," "Little Queen," "Cook With Fire," "Straight on," "Dog & Butterfly," "Mistral Wind," "Heartless," "Magazine," "Bebe Le Strange," "Rockin' Heaven Down," "Even It Up," "City's Burning," "Perfect Stranger," "Private Audition," "Fast Times," "How Can I Refuse," "If Looks Could Kill," "What About Love," "Never," "These Dreams," "Who Will You Run To," "Alone," "Bad Animals," "Wild Child," "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You," "Secret," "Call Of The Wild," "Desire" and "Desire Walks In." Are these great songs are what?

If you haven't bought their live CD's and DVD's yet, I would strongly like to encourage you to buy them.

With all of these great encyclopedia of albums filled with great songs under their belts, I guess that it is safe to say that HEART is here to stay and are not going anywhere anytime soon. Keep a good lookout for them, they should be coming to a city near you soon. And as the saying goes, AND THE REST IS ROCK N' ROLL HISTORY! Live life to the fullest and ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Hi ZFF ! Nice to see ya :wave:

The first time I saw Heart live was at one of my high school dances...lol. Sometime around 73/74. This was well before Nancy joined them but they were gtreat none the less. Unlike so many of the local bands at the time, they covered lot's of Zeppelin and played a fair bit of original music as well. Ann and Roger Fisher had a real chemestry that clearly was a take on Page and Plant but, you could tell that something very real was happening and it worked well because of it. Ann's voice was , stunning and Roger's playing style fit perfectly. They had a big following in the Vancouver area and played an old defunct night club called Starvin' Marvins' on a regular basis. Recording their first album at Mushroom Studios was rather fitting.

Hi ZFF ! Nice to see ya :wave:

The first time I saw Heart live was at one of my high school dances...lol. Sometime around 73/74. This was well before Nancy joined them but they were gtreat none the less. Unlike so many of the local bands at the time, they covered lot's of Zeppelin and played a fair bit of original music as well. Ann and Roger Fisher had a real chemestry that clearly was a take on Page and Plant but, you could tell that something very real was happening and it worked well because of it. Ann's voice was , stunning and Roger's playing style fit perfectly. They had a big following in the Vancouver area and played an old defunct night club called Starvin' Marvins' on a regular basis. Recording their first album at Mushroom Studios was rather fitting.

Hi "ally!" Ha ya doin'? I hope all is well with you. WOW, you are telling all of us a part of Rock n' Roll history here. They played at one of your high school dances? I wish that they would have played at my homecoming dance in 1976-77, now that would have been cool too. You were so lucky to be around them during their humble beginnings and early days. I hope that someone will release some of their concerts from the 1970's and 1980's someday on DVD. Then again, just listening to their early albums speaks for themselves. ROCK ON!

Hi "ally!" Ha ya doin'? I hope all is well with you. WOW, you are telling all of us a part of Rock n' Roll history here. They played at one of your high school dances? I wish that they would have played at my homecoming dance in 1976-77, now that would have been cool too. You were so lucky to be around them during their humble beginnings and early days. I hope that someone will release some of their concerts from the 1970's and 1980's someday on DVD. Then again, just listening to their early albums speaks for themselves. ROCK ON!

They played many high school dances at that time and I'll bet that most in Vancouver would say that there first experience with the band was at one. We did pretty good in those day's for teenage entertainment. Heart really openned the door though for many local bands who went on to record albums, Trooper, Prism, and Loverboy. All of whom used to play high school dances and the Fraser Arms Pub :D

They played many high school dances at that time and I'll bet that most in Vancouver would say that there first experience with the band was at one. We did pretty good in those day's for teenage entertainment. Heart really openned the door though for many local bands who went on to record albums, Trooper, Prism, and Loverboy. All of whom used to play high school dances and the Fraser Arms Pub :D

Hi again "ally!" HEART didn't just open the doors for all of your local bands, they continued in the glorious female Rock n' Roll tradition, like Janis, Grace, Stevie and Pat, in opening the doors for all female performers that came after them. All of you locals in Vancouver were so fortunate and lucky to have them. I'm sure that Vancouver is very proud of them. ROCK ON!

I've been a huge fan of Heart for a long time. I really want to see them live, but always seem to miss them for some reason. I really think they're underrated. Personally I think "Barracuda" and "Magic Man" are right up there with some of the great classic rock songs of all time. I still hope to catch them live sometime this year!

I've been a huge fan of Heart for a long time. I really want to see them live, but always seem to miss them for some reason. I really think they're underrated. Personally I think "Barracuda" and "Magic Man" are right up there with some of the great classic rock songs of all time. I still hope to catch them live sometime this year!

How's it going "Roxie?" I hope all is well with you. I would like to encourage you to see them live, there's nothing greater than the actual experience of seeing legendary bands such as HEART live. You can buy HEART'S live DVD's and believe me, they are great. For myself, personally, I love seeing HEART live because I can really interact with the band and thrive off their emotion as a member of the audience. Ann Wilson is great to see live because she really thrives off the emotion of the audience and it brings the best out of her. ROCK ON!

I'm definitely going to try. I know they're playing close to here sometime next week I think. Would love to see them.

How's it going "Roxie?" Good luck, I hope that everything works out for you and you get to see them. Let me know what the outcome is. ROCK ON!

While Heart was notorious for nicking Zep's ALS (Barracuda), they were a fun band while Roger was still with them. Somehow they weren't quite the same after that, though Howard is a good axe man too. The early band was tons o' fun. They did some pretty good covers too, particularly The Rover. Roger loved to play around with the bow a la Jimmy as well. Great stuff!

While Heart was notorious for nicking Zep's ALS (Barracuda), they were a fun band while Roger was still with them. Somehow they weren't quite the same after that, though Howard is a good axe man too. The early band was tons o' fun. They did some pretty good covers too, particularly The Rover. Roger loved to play around with the bow a la Jimmy as well. Great stuff!

How's it going "Rock Action?" I hope all is well with you. HEART made no secret as to who their biggest influence was and they proved it many times by performing many covers of ZEPPELIN songs live. "Black Dog," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Rock And Roll" and "The Rover" to name a few, are just some of the songs that HEART has performed live. HEART has always played ZEPPELIN songs incredibly well. HEART has always been great when paying tribute to the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. ROCK ON my friend!

I was never their biggest fan but I do like quite a bit of their stuff. They sort of lost me with the made for MTV power ballads in the mid-80s though. In the years since I have enjoyed some of the newer projects such as The Road Home but it seems like it's been quite a while since they've released an album of new material.

I'll save ZeppFanForever a few steps here:

How's it going "Jahfin"? (Insert remainder of reply here_______). ROCK ON!

Edited by Jahfin

I was never their biggest fan but I do like quite a bit of their stuff. They sort of lost me with the made for MTV power ballads in the mid-80s though. In the years since I have enjoyed some of the newer projects such as The Road Home but it seems like it's been quite a while since they've released an album of new material.

I'll save ZeppFanForever a few steps here:

How's it going "Jahfin"? (Insert remainder of reply here_______). ROCK ON!

HHHHMMMMM..... How long is the line after here? Ha Ha! (here_____) How's it going anyway? I hope all is well with you. Its really hard not to like HEART. In the 1970's, this band gave Rock n' Roll a good swift kick in the ass when needed. HEART is due to bless and grace the whole world with another great album. It would even be better if HEART reunited with all of the original band members from the 1970's. All we can do is wait and see. I just have to say my trademark ending, ROCK ON my friend!

I've been a huge fan of Heart for a long time. I really want to see them live, but always seem to miss them for some reason. I really think they're underrated. Personally I think "Barracuda" and "Magic Man" are right up there with some of the great classic rock songs of all time.

I totally agree Roxie. I too have been a fan of theirs for as long as I can remember. Ann Wilson, wow, what a voice!! :D

I totally agree Roxie. I too have been a fan of theirs for as long as I can remember. Ann Wilson, wow, what a voice!! :D

Why hello "Melanie_72?" I just had to say hello to you, I hope all is well with you. Ann Wilson has one hell of an amazing voice doesn't she? She will always rank as one of the all-time greatest female vocalists ever. After all, HEART'S music speaks for itself. ROCK ON!

Why hello "Melanie_72?" I just had to say hello to you, I hope all is well with you. Ann Wilson has one hell of an amazing voice doesn't she? She will always rank as one of the all-time greatest female vocalists ever. After all, HEART'S music speaks for itself. ROCK ON!

Hey there ZeppFanForever! Hope all is well with you also. Yes, Ann is certainly one of the greatest female rock vocalists ever, no one could ever deny that!!

Love Heart. My favourite song will always be Barracuda, though my favourite album just has to be Dreamboat Annie. When Roger was on board they were pretty much the 'female' Zeppelin - and they did some crackalackin' covers, too. The Rover is amazing, and since we'll never hear the 'real' version, hearing Heart do it - and doing it perfectly - is alright be me.

The Rover

Cal Jam II - Barracuda

Hey there ZeppFanForever! Hope all is well with you also. Yes, Ann is certainly one of the greatest female rock vocalists ever, no one could ever deny that!!

How's it going "Melanie_72?" Thanks! No one can ever deny the achievements and accomplishments that Ann Wilson has contributed in the Rock n' Roll world. ROCK ON!

Love Heart. My favourite song will always be Barracuda, though my favourite album just has to be Dreamboat Annie. When Roger was on board they were pretty much the 'female' Zeppelin - and they did some crackalackin' covers, too. The Rover is amazing, and since we'll never hear the 'real' version, hearing Heart do it - and doing it perfectly - is alright be me.

The Rover

Cal Jam II - Barracuda

How's it going "longdistancewinner?" I hope all is well with you. Thank you so much for the links, there are also many other HEART links on the website you referred us to. These links on HEART are incredible. ROCK ON!

The Rover

Cal Jam II - Barracuda

I've always been partial to Dog and Butterfly - the album and song as well as Love Alive. Little Queen is also a great album. I also have a live acoustic album of Nancy Wilson that's really gorgeous. Just her and a guitar. She does a beautiful version of Simon and Garfunkel's "Kathy's Song" and "In Your Eyes"

I've always been partial to Dog and Butterfly - the album and song as well as Love Alive. Little Queen is also a great album. I also have a live acoustic album of Nancy Wilson that's really gorgeous. Just her and a guitar. She does a beautiful version of Simon and Garfunkel's "Kathy's Song" and "In Your Eyes"

I love Mistral Wind from D+B. Little Queen is a great album, though it took my longer to appreciate than Dreamboat Annie. Dreamboat had that funky vibe, whereas LQ really put to use that mandolin! There's definately some Battle of Evermore-esque channeling going on there. I love Go On Cry from LQ, too.

I love Mistral Wind from D+B. Little Queen is a great album, though it took my longer to appreciate than Dreamboat Annie. Dreamboat had that funky vibe, whereas LQ really put to use that mandolin! There's definately some Battle of Evermore-esque channeling going on there. I love Go On Cry from LQ, too.

Mistral Wind is a great song. I've got some of the sheet music to that album. I don't have Dreamboat Annie - what else is on that besides the title track?

The live version of Mistral Wind from Greatest Hits/Live is awesome. I wore out my vinyl listening to that track over and over as a kid. :D

Mistral Wind is a great song. I've got some of the sheet music to that album. I don't have Dreamboat Annie - what else is on that besides the title track?

How's it going "ninelives?" Long time no hear! I hope all is well with you. Forgive me for being drunk, I am at the local bar hanging out with some cool friends. All of my friends are reading this thread as I speak and they like it very much. What's even more surprising is that many of my friends are hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics and have never seen this Forum before. I get the feeling that a lot of my friends are going to be joining this Forum, God help us all! Ha Ha!

You are right "ninelives," "Mistral Wind" is one hell of a serious slow ass kicking song. Whoever hasn't heard this Rock classic yet, get ready for the rude awakening of your lives.

As for the album "DREAMBOAT ANNIE," the songs are as follows: "Magic Man," "Dreamboat Annie (Fantasy Child)," "Crazy On You," "Soul Of The Sea," "Dreamboat Annie," "White Lightning & Wine," "(Love Me Like Music) I'll Be Your Song," "Sing Child," "How Deep It Goes" and "Dreamboat Annie (Reprise)." These are all of the songs in their exact order. I hope you buy this album, I promise you that you will not be disappointed. ROCK ON!