Fear and dis-information as forms of social control

karuna

Our media seems to be full of gloom and doom and little else. The sole aim seems to me to be the generation of incredible fear to the point that we willing give up our civil rights and many other things like billions of taxpayer's money to the very folks that seem culpable. What are others thinking about this, where do you get credible information, how are you insulating yourselves from the onslaught of negativity short of taking a "soma holiday"(see george orwell's 1984). As I expose myself to the wealth of scholarly research out there I feel like the hero of "the Matrix" waking up only to discover that what seemed real is actually the richest fiction ever contrived-so unbelievable that most could not believe and therefore most do not believe. A zen master has said "discovering who we really are and manifesting that is our greatest service to humanity".

To paraphrase Nancy Reagan(sp?) can't we "just say no" to the madness of our times and if not why not? Thank you for bearing with my soapbox but I really want to know.

Our media seems to be full of gloom and doom and little else. The sole aim seems to me to be the generation of incredible fear to the point that we willing give up our civil rights and many other things like billions of taxpayer's money to the very folks that seem culpable. What are others thinking about this, where do you get credible information, how are you insulating yourselves from the onslaught of negativity short of taking a "soma holiday"(see george orwell's 1984). As I expose myself to the wealth of scholarly research out there I feel like the hero of "the Matrix" waking up only to discover that what seemed real is actually the richest fiction ever contrived-so unbelievable that most could not believe and therefore most do not believe. A zen master has said "discovering who we really are and manifesting that is our greatest service to humanity".

To paraphrase Nancy Reagan(sp?) can't we "just say no" to the madness of our times and if not why not? Thank you for bearing with my soapbox but I really want to know.

[/quote

oops, I meant to say Aldous Huxley "Brave New World" reguarding "soma holiday"

As a society, I think we are easily manipulated and it's my opinion that not enough people really care unless it effects them directly. People can blame the banking system, the media, most blame the government of the day but as far as I'm concerned, we should be looking at ourselves. No point in asking someone else to be accountable unless we ourselves are willing to be. If we're not willing to be accountable then we leave ourselves open to institutions correcting all of society's problems. When that happen's, we give up our right to be part of the process. Sadly, this has already happened and because we've sherked, we've allowed other's ( see above ) to dictate what reality is to the majority of people

Oh, this is all the "same old same old" that has been plaguing man kind for a long time now.

As long as we need governance we will be herded like cattle (in many different way's) to what ever direction is believed needed to be pointed to.

I hate to say it but at this point we do need governance to keep from blowing the hell out of the planet!

I don't think there is a media conspiracy. I do think the fear will lead to civil rights being eventually taken away. I also know that law enforcement is a big business and they will continue to make ridiculous new laws in order to keep on bringing revenue. That is destroying freedom, and this is not how it should be. Citizens shouldn't be terrorized by the people that are supposed to protect them. Cops in America patrol, trying to discover problems. They sit their hiding, hunting their prey. What kind of shit is that? That is terrorizing the people. In Europe, cops don't patrol looking for problems, and they don't sit around and wait for you either. Unless there is a seriously fucking problem, you won't be dealing with them. And there is far more respect. The cops in Europe actually treat you like a human, and they aren't out on some ego trip, trying to bully you just to show power.

As the government tries to control people more, more people are going to start snapping. The stress of our society is already making that happen. All the killings and shootings are a result of the environment they come from. And of course, all of these incidents are going to lead to further government control, which will in turn create more of these incidents.

The media is a business, and they need to attract viewers in order to survive, and of course in order to continue to attract (desensitized) viewers, they have to keep on shocking. The media controls the minds. People believe what they are told.

I describe America as one big distraction. They have to keep people distracted. There needs to be some chaos. Can't have people actually paying attentino to what is really going on.

Cops in America patrol, trying to discover problems. They sit their hiding, hunting their prey. What kind of shit is that? That is terrorizing the people. In Europe, cops don't patrol looking for problems, and they don't sit around and wait for you either. Unless there is a seriously fucking problem, you won't be dealing with them.

That is SO TRUE!! America "the land of the free"??? I'm an American and I love this country, but shit, whenever I go to Europe, I can't believe how mellow everything is.

Until you've been to Europe a few times, you don't really realize how much the American police structure insults your intelligence.

Putting it another way: In America, the police and other institutions tend to treat you like a LITTLE BABY; moving you along like cattle, telling you what to do.

In Europe, you are treated with Free Will -- that is, if you are stupid enough to do something that kills you, then you don't really deserve to live, do you?

And who is responsible for keeping our uninformed/unintelligent/paranoid people in

A STATE OF FEAR??

AL-QAEDA IS HIDING UNDER YOUR BED!!!

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE GENOCIDES IN AFRICA!! WE NEED OIL!!!

DON'T LEGALIZE DRUGS!! -- THE GANGSTERS AND MOBSTERS WILL HAVE NO WAY TO MAKE A LIVING (and give us kickbacks)!!

Liberals believe Conservatism will destroy our country by making laws benefitting only the financially rich and lucky ones with good parents, plus shoving their version of a "Christian" religion down the people's throats, and shipping American jobs overseas because The American Worker demands a living wage.

Conservatives believe Liberalism will have everyone fucking in the streets, our military so weak we get invaded and taken over, and giving all our tax dollars to the bums who are too lazy/unintelligent to make a legal living.

If and when it will be time for a revolution, will it be structured so heavily for true Americans (via "Homeland Security" tapped phone and internet lines along with all the "security" cameras, and our brainwashed young boys and girls in the military) to unsuccessfully Right the Wrong/Corrupt/Evil?? ... I really don't know.

(Flame on ...) :tomato:

That is SO TRUE!! America "the land of the free"??? I'm an American and I love this country, but shit, whenever I go to Europe, I can't believe how mellow everything is.

Until you've been to Europe a few times, you don't really realize how much the American police structure insults your intelligence.

I can't remember the last time I even saw a policeman, either in a car or on foot patrol.

Our media seems to be full of gloom and doom and little else. The sole aim seems to me to be the generation of incredible fear to the point that we willing give up our civil rights and many other things like billions of taxpayer's money to the very folks that seem culpable....can't we "just say no" to the madness of our times and if not why not? Thank you for bearing with my soapbox but I really want to know.

Every generation always thinks they are the only ones to have suffered their respective trials and tribulations.

You always hear people saying "I don't know what this world is coming to". Well people were saying that back in the 1970's, they were saying it back in the 1930's. When was this supposed Golden Age meant to have happened that everyone seems to lament?

This fear has been prevelant throughout history, every society has suffered in it one form or another, what might surprise you is that it seems to be a natural psychological and sociological desire to always look for fear.

300 years ago, people were frightened of plague, political instability, poverty, continual wars, economic collapse. The things we worry about today are the same things people have been worrying about for centuries, and the media has always reflected this (unless there was no free media).

During the Roman Empire there was a mass slaughtering of thousands Romans in Greece, and the Romans cried out "why has this terrible thing happened to us? What have we done to deserve this?". Everyone knows about the Holocaust but how many people remember that thousands of Jews were slaughtered after the Black Death, because Jews were held responsible for it? The woes of 17th Century England were blamed on immigrants, xenophobia was rife, pamphlets at the time declared that Dutch immigrants were driving England to ruin. Then in the 18th Century, the Gin epidemic, it was claimed, was destroying the very fabric of English society. It was feared the whole country was being ripped apart by the consumption of gin. Street gangs of angry youths bashing and knifing people terrorized London in the 19th Century.

Nothing really changes, it's the same old shit. The were more 'immoral' activities going on in London in the 1920's than there probably are today. Cocaine use in particular was extraordinarily high, along with other drugs, drink, casual sex, homosexuality, beastiality, you know, it was all happening. I mean the shit that the upper classes were getting into during the first world war would make your mind boggle. A story to illustrate this comes from the 1970's when an Aristocratic Chelsea lady was entertaining a group of pop stars at her home, someone pulled out some coke from a paper packet and the Lady sniffed at them "In my day, we did cocaine out of silver salt shakers". It's the same shit, only the wrapping's changed, that's all. In Edwardian times adultery was so rampant that in country houses the staff used to ring a special bell in the early hours of the morning to indicate to the gentlemen guests that it was time to return to their wives' bedrooms.

There's always fear and some sort of madness in ever society through history. But we all keep rolling along like we always have done. People at the time thought their societies were going to be ruined by the evils of their time and most weren't despite maybe suffering bad times.

The more diseases we stop, the more wars we prevent, the more fear we'll always try to find because it's part of who we are.

Then in the 18th Century, the Gin epidemic, it was claimed, was destroying the very fabric of English society. It was feared the whole country was being ripped apart by the consumption of gin. Street gangs of angry youths bashing and knifing people terrorized London in the 19th Century.

Nothing really changes, it's the same old shit.

Quite right. This is why it amuses me when the media harp on about a booze culture in Britain today as if it's something new. Cripes, don't they know anything about history? :rolleyes:

Archived