Tea For One

corduroyg

What boring :o :o I LOVE IT!!! Yes it has a simularity to SIBLY but I still love it.

Love it too! Though it's essentially the same musically. Same meter. Same key. Similar key changes and dynamics. Same gestalt basically. But again, that's not necessarily a bad thing! ;)

I think it's a great song!! I mean, sure it does kinda sound like SIBLY, but they are both absolutley great songs and are so different from eachother! I for one love it, plus, if I were you, I would give the song a bit more respect becasue it was written by Plant when he was in horrible pain and was homesick.

Love it too! Though it's essentially the same musically. Same meter. Same key. Similar key changes and dynamics. Same gestalt basically. But again, that's not necessarily a bad thing! ;)

As could be said of a vast number of blues songs generally. Not at all necessarily a bad thing! :D

To the starter of this thread: Why look for a "worst" Zeppelin song in the first place? :slapface:

Some of Jimmy's best guitar work in the canon! Subtly powerful work from Bonzo. What's not to love? Taken in context, it's a shining moment. Maybe it's the result of so many years listening to it on vinyl with the player on repeat. Over and over. It's a great journey. It's all a great journey. If it doesn't get into you, maybe you're resisting. Let it wash over you. Let it penetrate. It was my favorite piece on the album 30 years ago. It was SIBLY squared. If you can't hear it, you're not listening closely enough. Give it another try! ;)

I love 'em all!

To me T41 was the second part of the "Zeppelin Blues Trinity", with SIBLY and IGC first and third respectively.

I omit ICQYB only because it is a "cover version" and while great musically, it lacked the emotion Robert brings when he's belting out his own lyrics.

And let's be real Reg, T41 or Royal Orleans? We're talkin bout Presence right?

I love both songs. It wouldn't be complete without either of them. But "Kissing whiskers" vs "One minute seems like a lifetime when I feel this way"??? Gladly I don't have to choose! :D

Robert could make "Three Blind Mice" sound good sung in the blues!

And that's the point, he can come up banal lyrics that can have the same effect of say, Kashmir which I think are some of, if not his best.

Look at the old blues classics, simple words usually about man's favorite past time, women!

You Shook Me is a case in point.

A transcript from the Presence sessions (Please take the following in jest) ;)

Jimmy: Oh shit, we’ve still got ten minutes to fill on the album.

Bonzo: What do you mean?

Jimmy: I’ve run out of bloody songs!

Robert: Well think of something.

Jimmy: I can’t I was already stretching it with Royal Orleans and Candy Store Rock and I don’t want to fill the album with anymore of that shit!

Bonzo: What do we do?

Jimmy: ummmm

Jonesy: Well, I’ve got this idea I’ve been worki…

Jimmy: Shut up.

Robert: Make yourself useful, go see if the car’s parked okay. [Throws keys at Jonesy. Jonesy walks out]

Bonzo: Can’t we just fill the rest of the album with a really slow blues number and just drag it out?

Jimmy: We can, but I don’t have enough new ideas to come up with some kind of epic. I packed all my ideas into Achilles Last Stand, which to be honest is a rather over blown and self-indulgent track.

Robert: We could re-write one of our old numbers? I know we’ve never really done that before and it’s one of the things that makes us stand head and shoulders above every other band, but is it really that important?

Jimmy: I guess not, but what song?

Bonzo: [begins to play slow drum beat]

Robert and Jimmy: Since I’ve Been Loving You!

Jimmy: [Noodles on guitar in C minor]

Robert: Yeah that’ll do. I’d better come up with some lyrics.

Jimmy: Just come up with some meaningless crap you usually come up with.

Bonzo: Yeah and no Hobbits!

Probably my least favorite zep song, I have a hard time listening to Presence cuz I know it ends with this. To me its just a poor imitation of SIBLY, probably the only time they tried to recreate or rehash something from their past, they were always about pushing the limits and moving forward.

Anyone else agree? Tea For One = zzzzzzzzzzz

Don't agree with any of this. Its an example of Zep at their best in my opinion.

I completely disagree. Tea For One is an amazing. I think it's the best song on the album and it's one of my fav Zep songs. I love how it starts off making you think it's going to be a funky rock number only to turn into a powerful slow blues number filled with passion and emotion. I get chills every time I listen to it.

Tea For One is exquisite.

Robert sings with such a longing pain in his voice that it is almost palpable. It is complimented beautifully by Jimmy's melodic playing which leads to that little bit of a build up in the solo before coming down softly again. Bonzo and JPJ keep things simple which only add to the overall mood of the song. I repeat: It's EXQUISITE!!

I like "Tea For One" a lot. Good song in my opinion. Yes, it does sound similar to "Since I've Been Loving You", but "Since I've Been Loving You" is much better. I think the song was perfect to end the album like it is Presence.

I like "Tea For One" a lot. Good song in my opinion. Yes, it does sound similar to "Since I've Been Loving You", but "Since I've Been Loving You" is much better. I think the song was perfect to end the album like it is Presence.

I like it too.It's a great song for ending an album.

I remember the first time I heard T41, the riff starts and I thought this is ok and then wham, this 180 degree turn into the blues.

You can't beat it!

That's my favorite part of the song. It starts out like a rocker then BAM! the bottom drops out. You just know something special is going to happen.

I've never really thougth of comparing SIBLY and TFO as having similar parts, and to me they really don't. The guitar goes along perfectly with Robert Plant's vocals and the lyrics have a lot of meaning and power behind them, especially with Plant singing. Not to mention the drumming, which stands out the most to me in this song. I think they all just work beautifully together to produce this song.

I almost could not believe my eyes when I saw the first post (no offence intended! ;)), and I would sign under basically all the responses to it :D without adding much, except that I read somewhere that Page and Plant used to avoid to perform it live (isn't the Budokan Tea party the only occasion?). Whatever the reason is, it is an absolutely special Song.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived