Are Pages solo's Lyrical?

McSeven

In Jazz they say that a lot of players are lyrical with thier solos. Does anyone think that Page is lyrical in his solos. Meaning you could lyrics to his guitar notes. I think he is.

Mc7

In Jazz they say that a lot of players are lyrical with thier solos. Does anyone think that Page is lyrical in his solos. Meaning you could lyrics to his guitar notes. I think he is.

Mc7

.......Jimmy Page is one of the rarest musicians who have the above capability mastered to perfection. Foremost, he is not just a master of instrument as in technique (He has indicated that in his interviews). Jimmy Page's understanding/interpretation of lyrics/poetry is in a class by itself....(and that is the reason why I was naturally attracted to his music many many moons ago (Not really knowing who Led Zeppelin were)

STH was the first song I ever heard of Led Zeppelin, and it was like no others as if his guitar is the 5th musician......

Kable-E-Tariff-Benazir, Benazir........"Worthy of Praise, Incomparable, Incomparable, Beautiful.....

Supershow on the "Led Zeppelin DVD" they performed "Dazed and Confused" on jimmy's bowed solo there's a moment where his guitar sounds like a screaming women. And on that same dvd there performance of "Trampled Underfoot" listen to the solo there hopefully this was helpful

Y'know, I don't think that's what lyrical means in this context, but rather in the same sense as lyric poetry, which expresses the feelings, thoughts, and emotions of the poet, unlike, say, narrative poetry (which tells a story). So to say that a jazz solo, or Jimmy's guitar work, is lyrical, is more to say that it's where he "speaks" his feelings, creates a picture of his mood, etc.

Y'know, I don't think that's what lyrical means in this context, but rather in the same sense as lyric poetry, which expresses the feelings, thoughts, and emotions of the poet, unlike, say, narrative poetry (which tells a story). So to say that a jazz solo, or Jimmy's guitar work, is lyrical, is more to say that it's where he "speaks" his feelings, creates a picture of his mood, etc.

OK, well, then what about song's like The Rain Song? Is that what your thinking of? The structure of the finger picking guitar sound with the soft spoken word's and then carrying it a bit higher into a hard strumming attack when the song pick's up (I call this Dynamic)?

Or how about Arlo Guthrie singing the part about the "8X10 Black and White's with the circles and the arrow's and a paragraph on the back" in Alice's Restaurant? Or where he say's "just waiting for the chorus to come back around"?

OK, well, then what about song's like The Rain Song? Is that what your thinking of? The structure of the finger picking guitar sound with the soft spoken word's and then carrying it a bit higher into a hard strumming attack when the song pick's up (I call this Dynamic)?

Or how about Arlo Guthrie singing the part about the "8X10 Black and White's with the circles and the arrow's and a paragraph on the back" in Alice's Restaurant? Or where he say's "just waiting for the chorus to come back around"?

Well, I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, it wasn't my topic! But no, not like in Alice's Restaurant in that I thought Mc7 was talking about instrumental music, which is described as lyrical when it does the things I just mentioned. It's a rather confusing term in the sense that it's got nothing to do with the lyrics of the song. Jimmy's parts of The Rain Song could well fall under that heading, but the actual words themselves are irrelevant to the lyricality of the guitar playing. (Actually, a good Zep example for me would be JPJ's keyboards on No Quarter.)

I remember listening to Dazed and Confused under headphones in my dorm room, thinking the guitar almost sounded like vocals at times; and Robert's vocals also sounded instrumental. It did kind of tell a story; I see what you mean.

Unfortunately I don't get to enjoy/experience the music like that anymore; always multitasking :(

Well, regarding telling a story (though I see just what you mean), what I meant is that that's what lyric poetry doesn't do--instead, it paints a picture, expresses an emotion, conjures an atmosphere, expresses feelings, or whatever. So when people say poetry or music is lyrical, that's what they mean it does. And with regard to music, it's saying that, say, a guitar solo conjures up an emotion or a feeling, so that it doesn't need words--so that you know the guy's feeling sad from the sound of his guitar and the melody he's playing, for instance, and you don't need actual lyrics to tell you that.

I feel I haven't explained this very well. :D

Not sure if I'm interpreting things right either but my understanding is that sometimes a guitar solo can "speak" to you similarly to how the words might. I would say if that's the case, there are definitely some of Page's solos which evoke a lyrical quality IMO.

Or I'm totally confused again <_<

Jimmy's meeting with P. R. Shankar to understand/play "Raag" of various types, ie. The Morning Raags, Evening Raags (wordless emotions/feelings), are influential in his guitar playing. Raags promote emotions, necessary for poetry, within the artist. Since Raags are designed for various moods, happiness, sadness, Seasons, the artist naturally becomes familiar with emotions/poetry, which I think Jimmy Page has very, very exceptional capability of (short listed) ....rushing a bit here..... :D

:D

OK, I think I got it now, "Take the candle out!"!

How about a song like "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden? With the two guitar's (at different octave's) at varying point's in the song, that kind of ride's with/like the word's? Page was an innovator at this type of thing as well with lead and rhythm guitar's.

The only other thing I can think of (off hand) as describing it, is how I talked about The Rain Song before.

As a guitar player myself I can relate to what the post is about, that's why I replied to it.

Yes, that's what I was talking about, nine and PlanetPage--and I confess I'm not familiar with The Trooper, but it sounds as if it's the same sort of thing--certainly I think the guitar work in The Rain Song would be.

OK, I think we're all on the same page now, excuse the pun. :D

Well, regarding telling a story (though I see just what you mean), what I meant is that that's what lyric poetry doesn't do--instead, it paints a picture, expresses an emotion, conjures an atmosphere, expresses feelings, or whatever. So when people say poetry or music is lyrical, that's what they mean it does. And with regard to music, it's saying that, say, a guitar solo conjures up an emotion or a feeling, so that it doesn't need words--so that you know the guy's feeling sad from the sound of his guitar and the melody he's playing, for instance, and you don't need actual lyrics to tell you that.

Not sure if I'm interpreting things right either but my understanding is that sometimes a guitar solo can "speak" to you similarly to how the words might. I would say if that's the case, there are definitely some of Page's solos which evoke a lyrical quality IMO.

Or I'm totally confused again <_<

I agree with you both; that's pretty much what I was thinking but didn't articulate very well :) I could never put my finger on what it was before.

Mc7

Well I think that sort of question would best be answered by Jimmy himself, I mean did he think of lyrics when he was writting the solos? How would any of us know.

I think you explained it very well! :thumbsup: Jimmy's solos are "lyrical" because they express many different emotions. This is why he's my favorite guitarist - because he appeals to my emotions. He doesn't need lyrics to express his emotions because he expresses them through his guitar.

I think you explained it very well! :thumbsup: Jimmy's solos are "lyrical" because they express many different emotions. This is why he's my favorite guitarist - because he appeals to my emotions. He doesn't need lyrics to express his emotions because he expresses them through his guitar.

WELL SAID! :) I agree...he appeals to my emotions/expresses his emotions and passion through his guitar. That's what makes him my fave guitar player!!

Sharon

WELL SAID! :) I agree...he appeals to my emotions/expresses his emotions and passion through his guitar. That's what makes him my fave guitar player!!

Sharon

Sharon

Appealing to the masses is what being a true "hit maker" is all about. Music is supposed to convey emotional content in the media it is being used in.

A well written/composed song will win out (in the long run) as apposed to a song that was just well performed or promoted (if you ask me). Now, if you can pull off writing, promotion and performance, you've got some thing that will stand for a long time as good material!

Page and the rest of the group (all involved) came on to the scene at the right time (when musical technology was really starting to blossom), with the right tool's, the right material, the personal and the power to get it all out the world.

That is truly amazing to me! I mean the man is a huge talent on the stage and in the studio but being apart of something like that is a big, big accomplishment in itself!

I'm a fan of this group and I'm glad that there are others out there that have not forgot just how important they where and are to the entertainment industry.

And to the young one's who just found Led Zeppelin.... Well, you've only just began your trip thru the wonderful world of music .

Appealing to the masses is what being a true "hit maker" is all about. Music is supposed to convey emotional content in the media it is being used in.

A well written/composed song will win out (in the long run) as apposed to a song that was just well performed or promoted (if you ask me). Now, if you can pull off writing, promotion and performance, you've got some thing that will stand for a long time as good material!

Page and the rest of the group (all involved) came on to the scene at the right time (when musical technology was really starting to blossom), with the right tool's, the right material, the personal and the power to get it all out the world.

That is truly amazing to me! I mean the man is a huge talent on the stage and in the studio but being apart of something like that is a big, big accomplishment in itself!

I'm a fan of this group and I'm glad that there are others out there that have not forgot just how important they where and are to the entertainment industry.

And to the young one's who just found Led Zeppelin.... Well, you've only just began your trip thru the wonderful world of music .

Not sure I'd agree with your statement about what music is supposed to do. I think it's got different purposes/meanings for different people.

Not sure I'd agree with your statement about what music is supposed to do. I think it's got different purposes/meanings for different people.

OK, I'll give you that one ninelives and people do have different thought's on music all around anyway, but that is the beauty of it. It is hitting everyone in a way that other song's (ordinary song's) don't! It's like that tingle on the back of your neck when something big happens and you don't easily forget it, it sticks with you.

To better understand what is going on here watch a movie or video game with out any sound and you'll see exactly what I mean. We depend so much on our since of hearing to lead our emotion's that we can hear a movie or video with out seeing it and still follow along with the basic emotional content of most scenes. But with out the sound it becomes quite seamless and ordinary.

Taking that into consideration with all the new technologies that where just becoming available at the end of the 60's and the beginning of the 70's and the people involved with Led Zeppelin. It gives you something really big/new (sounding).

OK, I'll give you that one ninelives and people do have different thought's on music all around anyway, but that is the beauty of it. It is hitting everyone in a way that other song's (ordinary song's) don't! It's like that tingle on the back of your neck when something big happens and you don't easily forget it, it sticks with you.

To better understand what is going on here watch a movie or video game with out any sound and you'll see exactly what I mean. We depend so much on our since of hearing to lead our emotion's that we can hear a movie or video with out seeing it and still follow along with the basic emotional content of most scenes. But with out the sound it becomes quite seamless and ordinary.

Taking that into consideration with all the new technologies that where just becoming available at the end of the 60's and the beginning of the 70's and the people involved with Led Zeppelin. It gives you something really big/new (sounding).

But that can't apply to people who have lost their hearing. They still experience emotions but through other senses. I do get what you are saying about how music can make you feel though :)

Mc7

If your ears tell you its lyrical then it is. You dont need confirmation from anyone else

Archived