BEST ZEPP CONCERT?

TyrackT71

"Full Moon" by Dougal Butler is a great rock and roll book, there's some hilarious shit in there. And Keith was a very unique drummer, he supplied real excitement to the music, (unlike Kenny Jones).

Yes his story is sad, but also highly entertaining. Don't be so hard on ol' Moonie, there wasn't any decent treatment available for bipolar conditions back then. (see Jaco Pastorious for a similar story)

If we can believe what we read Bonzo was bi-polar, Moon was nuts 24/7---since grade school.

There've been drying-out clinics since the thirties, badgeholder; and psychiatrists before that. Dougal's book is indeed funny, but he was just another one of Moon's enablers; Dougal does paint a bleak picture of the troubled drummer if you look hard enough. Read Tony Fletcher's MOON for a more objective look; if you can stand reading it, it's that painful.

I like the Who, I just feel sorry for Keith Moon, the quintessential man without a friend. He had plenty of fake friends to be sure. Ultimately nobody gave a shit about him; Moon was a party waiting to happen and a free ride to those around him, right down to his groupie friends like Miss Pamela and Lori Maddox. But what really bugs me is Moon didn't seem to want to help himself, all his attempts to clean up were quickly abandoned. Anyone who's ever seen a family member or friend self destruct because they're drinking themself to death don't think Moon's antics during the Badgeholders gig are amusing at all; if they do they're really callous. 16 months later Moon was six feet under; three years and three months later Bonzo was too.

Basically the same scenario happened to Bonham, just another rock casualty, one more death by misadventure. If that's anybody's idea of "Rock 'N Roll" I feel sorry for them.

Eight months after Moonie was laid to rest the Who were playing concerts with Kenney Jones. I saw one of their stateside shows in 1979 and thought Kenney played remarkably. As far as Moon goes drumming-wise, after 1970 and the Who's fame took off in the USA, he no longer had those crisp little rolls and accents in his playing. Like Jaco and Bonham, it's just too bad he squandered so much of his potential drinking.

Keep your Moon bashing for another thread.

FYI, he did not deliberately kill anyone. He accidentally backed his car over his driver when leaving the pub one night. The authorities ruled it an accident and Moon himself emotionally never recovered from the incident. As for his drumming, he is hands down one of the most inspiring and influencial drummers of all time. 1970 was his peak? Ehh, "Whos Next - 1971" "Quadraphenia - 1973" "Odds & Sods - 1974" "The Who By Numbers - 1975" "Who Are You - 1978" all showcase a drummer with amazing chops and a uniqueness that was and has yet to be matched.

Edited by bigstickbonzo

Keep your Moon bashing for another thread.

FYI, he did not deliberately kill anyone. He accidentally backed his car over his driver when leaving the pub one night. The authorities ruled it an accident and Moon himself emotionally never recovered from the incident. As for his drumming, he is hands down one of the most inspiring and influencial drummers of all time. 1970 was his peak? Ehh, "Whos Next - 1971" "Quadraphenia - 1973" "Odds & Sods - 1974" "The Who By Numbers - 1975" "Who Are You - 1978" all showcase a drummer with amazing chops and a uniqueness that was and has yet to be matched.

I'll write what I want to write and post it wherever I please, bigstick, whether you disagree with it or not. And I don't take kindly to your suggestion so please mind your manners. I think you read a lot into what I posted, if you read it at all. :D

No one's bashing Moon. His bad manners on June 23, 1977 that amuse others so much, just depress me for the reasons I listed. If drunken loudmouth behavior gets you off, far be it from me to deny you that pleasure. Please don't try slanting what I wrote either: I never used the word deliberately when recounting Moon ran over someone in a car. I stated the facts on public record, and lamented them.

I don't want anyone to mistakenly think I don't like Moon's drumming, but his playing is over-rated. He made a great clown prince of rock although his drumming ability never floored me. To me his drumming was a bit better than Ringo's, but a far cry from Bonzo's. I don't know if you play the drums or not, bigstickbonzo, or how long you have if you do, but as someone who's been drumming since 1968 the only amazing chops I've EVER heard from Moon were prior to and last heard on 'Live At Leeds.' Before 'Who's Next' was recorded Moon didn't even play a hi-hat; guess you can chalk that up to how unique he was. If you want to hear how exciting rock drumming can get, listen to Townsend's favorite drummer Simon Phillips. The drummers I mentioned before (Danelli, Baker, Mitchell) are all technically equal to and surpass Moon's best drumming in the sixties. If Moon's your idea of an amazing drummer get a load of Tony Williams, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Billy Cobham or even that other over-rated skin basher, Neil Peart.

You may not want to admit it, but Moon was more known for running his mouth than running circles around other drummers. :rolleyes:

I like Eddie over Badgeholders because on the latter Page's guitar is buried in the mix. Badgeholders does have a better No Quarter, but Eddie has Bonzo's stunning single stroke roll entrance to TSRTS. Pagey could play the blues when he felt like it, just like Bonham could play a single stroke roll, except I NEVER heard a roll like that one.

Per the St. Millard recordings, both nights sound like Zep on top of their game.

And on Badgeholders, Moon the Loon (the most over-rated drummer in rock) detracts from and intrudes upon Led Zeppelin's show, he wasn't even funny, just an embarrassing drunk. Look at the look on his face when Plant snatches the mike out of his hand. I'm surprised Richard Cole didn't throw that idiot head first into the parking lot.

I agree. When I finally heard Badgeholder's, after much praise given by others, I found myself wondering why people felt it was the best of the LA shows (or best ever in the opinion of some). It is a good show, but the sound and intensity is not what "Eddie" is at all. To each his own....

I am enjoying the banter concerning Moon. I thought his playing in the 60's was pretty unique and interesting. Not being a drummer myself, I would not know where to place him in the hierarchy of technical drummers. I did not enjoy his 70's drumming as much as the earlier days. Never realized he killed someone, but behavior like that is bound to end in tragedy - for someone other than the drunk usually.

Did you know Moon killed a man by driving a limousine over him? None of that is funny, or cool. They're insane acts. If you or I pulled stunts like that we'd be in straitjackets.

Please don't try slanting what I wrote either: I never used the word deliberately when recounting Moon ran over someone in a car. I stated the facts on public record, and lamented them.

No, you didn't. But you also come off trying to paint a picture of someone who got away with murder. You make it sound as if he was hysterically hopping around the car while the driver stood behind the bumper trying to calm him and instead, Moon backs him over to shut him up. Someone, like Moon, who had a history of public drinking debackles, would not have gotten off had it been ruled neglegent. It was a true accident, and I'm not about to argue his toxicity level, because I think we all can agree it was above any legal limit at the time.

As for his drumming, he maintained a level of companionship with his earlier playings on record, which in my view, is the most important because that stands the test of time over any live gig. We can all agree to disagree and bring up the infamous 1973 Cow Palace show millions of times, but at the end of the day, he maintained when it counted most. Sure, he physically wasn't near his 1966-1969 chops, but he more or less made up for them by continuing to keep that delicate dynamic with Entwistle. Moon may have had to live up to reputation by the mid 1970s, but he still considered the band his top priority and when he was able to perform, he fuckin' performed.

Edited to Add: Yes, I do play percussion and while Moon is far from the greatest or whatever you want to call it, he is without a doubt, one of the most unique drummers of all time. The fact that his name and drumming are discussed as much as they are proves he was more than just a bi-polar drunk who could play a kit, minus the hi hats. I've studied all types of drumming styles and his is still one of the hardest to get down because it was unlike any other drummer in music history. And it still is.

Edited by bigstickbonzo

No, you didn't. But you also come off trying to paint a picture of someone who got away with murder. You make it sound as if he was hysterically hopping around the car while the driver stood behind the bumper trying to calm him and instead, Moon backs him over to shut him up.

My exact words from post #24 were: Did you know Moon killed a man by driving a limousine over him?

To try to twist the meaning of that very matter of fact statement into 'painting a picture of someone who got away with murder' and Moon 'was hysterically hopping around the car while the driver stood behind the bumper trying to calm him and instead, Moon backs him over to shut him up' makes me wonder if (1.) you've downed a few yourself or (2.) are having paranoid delusions or (3.) just full of shit or (4.) 14 years old or (5.) all of the above.

Can't say for sure about the others, bigstick, but I am positive about (3.)

Anytime you want me to show you how to play those post '70 Moon licks, just let me know, won't take but three or four minutes. Not because I'm a great drummer or anything, it's just those Moon licks are so simple to play. If we were talking about Bonzo, it could take years. B)

My exact words from post #24 were: Did you know Moon killed a man by driving a limousine over him?

To try to twist the meaning of that very matter of fact statement into 'painting a picture of someone who got away with murder' and Moon 'was hysterically hopping around the car while the driver stood behind the bumper trying to calm him and instead, Moon backs him over to shut him up' makes me wonder if (1.) you've downed a few yourself or (2.) are having paranoid delusions or (3.) just full of shit or (4.) 14 years old or (5.) all of the above.

Can't say for sure about the others, bigstick, but I am positive about (3.)

Anytime you want me to show you how to play those post '70 Moon licks, just let me know, won't take but three or four minutes. Not because I'm a great drummer or anything, it's just those Moon licks are so simple to play. If we were talking about Bonzo, it could take years. B)

[/q :offtopic:

Anytime you want me to show you how to play those post '70 Moon licks, just let me know, won't take but three or four minutes.

Awww, because the 60s licks will take more than 5 minutes? :rolleyes:

Edited to Add: Back on topic, I've become a fan of the Nassau, NY shows from 72. Very solid performances and above par for that year.

Edited by bigstickbonzo

To end all the discussion about Moon being a distraction-or the man who drove the show to legendary status.

Let's look at it this way, Moon and Bonzo are etched onto people's minds as two of the best if not the best rock drummers ever. And both, appearing on the same stage, at the same time & even playing together, is a truly timeless moment in any way you put it, and even more so after both passed away.

Now whether you find Moon's comments funny or feel sorry for him, that's up to you, he'd pass away not long after this, so that could be an opinion changer, but to me IMHO, Moon's appearance & drunken spirit, actually adds to the wild party-esque jovial atmosphere of the show. See it for yourself.

To end all the discussion about Moon being a distraction-or the man who drove the show to legendary status.

Now whether you find Moon's comments funny or feel sorry for him, that's up to you, he'd pass away not long after this, so that could be an opinion changer, but to me IMHO, Moon's appearance & drunken spirit, actually adds to the wild party-esque jovial atmosphere of the show.

The point I was trying to make about Moon was alcoholism is a disease that can ruin people's lives, or end them, as the premature deaths of Moon and Bonham emphasize. Whether Moon's appearance at the Badgeholders show amused people or depressed them, one thing is certain, that concert kicked ass because of Led Zeppelin, not cameo appearances by members of other bands.

I know I'm gonna get hell for this but the best show for me EVER was October 27,1995.Yeah,yeah I know,not Zeppelin.I'm 35 and I never got a chance to see them in their heyday.Most amazing night of my life.Friday night,in NYC,at MSG with Page and Plant,what can be better??I've got the June 23,1977 show and I think It's the best Zep show I've ever heard.It seems like they wanted to prove something.

How's it going "allbettsareoff?" That is so ccol to finally meet someone else that was at The Forum show on 23 June 1977 like I was! I don't what it is but LED ZEPPELIN were always in top form when they performed live in Los Angeles. I wished that the ZEPPELIN organization or Peter Grant would have approved a taping of the complete Forum 23 June 1977 show and not the Seattle Kingdome on 17 July 1977. Thats just my opinion, what do you think? ROCK ON!

I agree 100%! I feel greatful that I was there and it being my first concert made it even more special. Then to get the chance to attend the reunion in London was just incredible. I wish they had recorded more of there shows period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings TyrackT71,

Grew up in southern L.A. County in the late 60's and early 70's, got to see Led Zeppelin 6 times,

9/4/70 L.A. Fourm {Live on Blueberry Hill}

8/21/71 L.A. Forum

6/25/72 L.A. Forum{HTWWW}

6/27/72 Long Beach Arena{HTWWW}

6//3/73 L.A Forum

3/12/75 Long Beach Arena

I can't pick one in particular, they all had their own personalities. One thing is for sure, they came to play their asses off, and they did!!!

Tempe '77. I kid I kid!

But seriously: My favourites are 21/23 77, Earls Court 24th and 25th, Snow Jobs (Vancouver '75), Houston '77, Bonzo's Birthday Party, Montreux '70, Fillmore soundboard from '69, Knebworth 4-8-79, Vienna '73, Landover 30-5-77, New York 11-6-77 and Conspiracy theory.

I'm a big fan of the '77 tour. :D

Edit: And in regards to Moon being onstage with them on the 23/6/77: I think it is awesome seeing Moon banging away on the tympani with Bonham on rock and roll. In the video you can see Jimmy look at Keith and Bonzo playing together several times with a massive grin on his face.

Edited by tom kid

The best Zeppelin concert? Well, of the ones I saw, these would be my top 5, and bear in mind that the difference between #5 and #1 is very slight...it was hard choosing the top 5.

1. June 25, 1972 @ LA Forum...My first Zeppelin concert...like a jumbo 747 crashing in my head...the bloody sounds those guys made...that cool drone that went on and on and on, changing colours and tones for a good 10 or 15 minutes before Immigrant Song stampeded the crowd...Percy's voice in full cry before the cracking of the 72 Japanese tour...four, count 'em 4!!!, encores...or were there 5, lol?...the crazy ass medley...Louie Louie!!!!...I could go on and on...my first Zep show and it was so perfect, I knew immediately I had to see them again in Long Beach two days later and begged and begged and begged...fortunately it worked. June 27 '72 @ Long Beach Arena was also great, but not as long, so the 72 LA Forum show gets the nod.

2. June 3, 1973 @ LA Forum...another Forum spectacular! Great versions of two of my fave live Zep songs, SIBLY and Thank You, which automatically moves it up the list above the May 31 and June 2 shows...not to mention that Jimmy was playing with a sprained finger which he kept dunking in ice water throughout the show...the cloud of pot and hash smoke which hung in the air...how great ALL the Houses of the Holy songs sounded live, especially NQ with the epic fog rolling over the stage from the dry-ice machine...the 73 shows were the last ones where the band was really tight and Page could solo fast and furiously on end...the 73 tour was also the last time Dazed and Confused didn't become a drag.

3. June 23, 1977 @ LA Forum...another great Forum show, another June show(are you sensing a trend, hahaha?)...it's the famous Badgeholders show..the Keith 'Looney' Moon show...but more importantly, it is the return after 5 long years of the "acoustic set"!...which does bring a warm vibe to the proceedings as Plant says...they finally ditched D & C although that means we get the noise solo(instead of say, In the Light, The Rover, Wanton Song, For Your Life, Royal Orleans, Tea for One, or any number of other songs they could have played during the 30-45 minutes that slowed the momentum of the show during the drum solo/guitar solo bit)...still what we do get is choice: Ten Years Gone!!!, Achilles!!, Nobody's Fault! and epic NQ's and Kashmir's...Percy's voice is back from the cracked and hoarse 73 and 75 days; not quite his Viking warrior days of 69-72 but still powerful.

4. March 12, 1975 @ Long Beach Arena...I was going back and forth over which show to rank #3, this one or the 6.23.77 Forum gig...it was so close as both shows have so much to recommend but in the end the acoustic sets of the 77 tour(and TYG and Presence material) gave the 6.23.77 show the slightest of edges...the thing about this 1975 show was how HEAVY the band sounded, even more than usual with the lack of an acoustic set...Bonzo's Vistalites really boomed out...perhaps because for the first time ever, Zeppelin used a drum riser for the 75 tour...unlike the earlier shows of the tour, those of us at the West Coast shows had had a chance to hear the Physical Grafitti songs before the concert, so many of us had already formed favourites and were hoping to hear them...amongst my friends and other people I asked those songs were usually Kashmir, Ten Year's Gone, The Rover, In My Time of Dying, Trampled Underfoot, Wanton Song, Houses of the Holy and Custard Pie...playing wise, Long Beach was better than the LA Forum gigs in 75...the band was more solid, consistent and less sluggish...just compare the D & C of this show with the terrible 3.27.75 one...in fact, I think that if Mike Millard hadn't had car trouble and been able to get to this show on time and, therefore, people could hear this entire concert in the spectacular sound that he recorded the last 3 songs, then 3.12.75 Long Beach would be ranked right up there with the "Listen to this Eddie" and "Badgeholder's" shows in Zeppelin collector's minds...maybe even above them...anyway, I loved how funky and hard they were for this tour...Kashmir, NQ and Trampled back-to-back-to-back was almost too much!...and oh my god the funky Crunge/James Brown/Theramin battles between Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog were OUTTASIGHT!!!...oh and one last but not least memory about this show: my first Zeppelin concert with my girlfriend and we made out during Rain Song!...hmmm, more I think about it, maybe this should be #3 after all, haha!

5. Number 5 is hard to call; it would be between either the May 31 or June 2, 1973 shows or the June 21, 1977...or even June 27, 1972...you know, I think I am going to declare a tie and say it is between the May 31 and June 2, 1973 shows...May 31 because it was Bonzo's birthday and June 2 because it was my only time seeing them outdoors, in the sunlight at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco and the atmosphere was just incredible with all the SF hippies and flower power girls and the doves...plus, there is just something magical about road-tripping to a concert; it lends an air of adventure to the whole endeavor...plus, as I said before 1973 was the last year where the band was consistently on fire, especially Jimmy...his sound was so unbelievable then!

My apologies to the shows that didn't make the top 5: March 24, 25, 27 1975 and June 25, 26, 27 1977 all LA Forum...not that you didn't have moments("It'll Be Me" encore of 6.26.77! "NQ" of 3.27.75!!) but the other shows were just a tad more consistently spectacular...the creme de al creme!

Other memories shared by all, or at least most, of the shows: ganja smoke filling the Forum(or whatever venue)...firecrackers, those DAMN FIRECRACKERS!...hippies bringing tambourines and whatnot to shows to play...camping out for tickets for days...the SHEER UNBELIEVABLE THRILL that surged through your entire being when at last the seemingly impossible was at hand and you handed over your $6, $8, or $10 and you held in your hand a Led Zeppelin concert ticket...it was like finding the golden ticket in a Wonka bar and if you had one, other kids at your school would look at you with envy.

As for Led Zeppelin concerts I was sadly too young, or geographically-challenged to see, these are my Top 10 that I would want to see if I had a time-machine:

1. January 5, 1969 @ the Whisky A Go-Go, LA...oh hell, any 1968-69 show where they still played those great "As Long As I Have You/Fresh Garbage" medleys and "For Your Love" and "Dazed" was fast and furious and Jimmy still did the bow segment in "HMMT".

2. January 9, 1970 @ Royal Albert Hall

3. June 28, 1970 @ Bath Festival

4. Sept. 4, 1970 @ LA Forum

5. Sept. 19, 1970 evening show @ Madison Square Garden

6. August 21 or 22, 1971 @ LA Forum

7. Sept. 13 or 14, 1971 @ Berkeley Community Center

8. September 29, 1971 @ Osaka, Japan...but any of the 1971 Japanese shows will do.

9. March 24, 1973 @ Offenburg, Germany...but again, any other 1973 Euro shows will do, esp. Vienna...but it is this Offenburg, Germany show where Jimmy is so face-meltingly hot...so en fuego!

10. August 4, 1979 @ Knebworth...not what you might have expected, but I think I would want to go to this just for the spectacle of it all...and it's a lot better performance than the 11th...plus, I might bump into Knebby, hehe.

Edited by Strider

• 3 weeks later...
when and where was your favourite led zeppelin concert of all time?

How's it going "TyrackT71?" I saw LED ZEPPELIN twice in 1977. The first one was at the L.A. Forum on 23 June 1977. The second one was one month later at the Oakland Coliseum on 23 July 1977. My favorite concert or the best concert that I ever saw or heard was the L.A. Forum show on 23 June 1977, that was one of ZEPPELIN'S all-time greatest shows ever. I was so lucky and fortunate to have seen the mighty LED ZEPPELIN twice during the 1977 tour. ROCK ON!