pics of 3 of my 4 vintage bonham kit w/a audio file

carl anthony

this is a site that has 3 of my 4 vintage 1970's bonham kits the4th is still being worked on a vintage 1971 maple 3 ply kit and ill have that one up soon thanks for looking ,,carl----------------------------------------------http://griptoad.com/carlib.html--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://griptoad.com/carll.html------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try again Carl,

the link says "File not found"

yes i think its because the next word ''here''was draged into the url ,,, i re did it,, but i think you have to cut and paiste the url in your borwser to view site

Holy fuck......amazing, Carl!

y a ive been doing this collection about 3-4 yrs now, im currently doing a 1972 maple 3 ply kit ordered and factory built as a bonham kit by ludwig in 1972 , as soon as im done ill post that kit, i have the corect gong,, tympani model 895 30'' universial and still need the 29'' mechanical,im using a 28'' symphonic in its place till i find it,,everything else is just as bonzo had

i had a hard time posting the url,its been a few years since i used a forum,i used to post all the time on the corvette forum,matter of fact thats how my bonham kit finding obsession started, a guy posted a pic of his ludwig drum set,,,,so i posted a pic of my 1979 octa plus(8 tom toms and double bass w/ a 1920's tympani) he replied to that post with a vistilate octa plus,,,i answered to his post that i never saw that kit,he said ''go here'' it was the vistalite showcase, i saw a bonham amber kit like he used in the song remains the same,,,i e mailed the owner of the site stating i was a junior in h .s. when those kits were hot and didnt have the doe to get one,,,,he had one left,,with a bass drum never played,,he explained that guy would want to kill me to get that bass drum its so rare,,(well i saw a green one go on e bay for 3800.00,,yes 3 thousand 8 hundered for a bass drum!)!! so i bought the entire amber kit with the amber snare and a big bonham 20'' floor tom tom i bought it,the rest is history, i stopped posting on the corvette forum and started a obsession getting every bonham kit,,the hardest thing to find was the exact tympanis he used, i had onealready,, a 1920's mechanical,,but i wanted to duplicate his kits,,100% correctly so i finally found a model 895 universial tymp from a tympani dealer that rents to big bands ect,he only saw 2 of these in 35 yrs and wouldnt sell me the 895,, i kept pestering him until he changed his mind,,,,,it was the most expensive one i have bought to date ,,cost me a grand,but worth every penny,,,i also bought 2 symphonic models and finally gave one to the school i go to,,now im down to the 895 one 28'' symphonic and my old 1920 mechanical,,the last piece i need to be 100% bonhamized is his model 853 mechanical 29'' tympani,,,,,,i still havent found that tymp,,,i was close thou ,,a guy said he had it,,,he refinished it for me,,de denting it and buffing the copper bowl and larquering it as ludwig did back in the 60's and 70's,,,when he was ready to ship me it,,he descovered that it wasnt a 29'' but a 28'',i turned it down,,,because i said i would do this as accurate as possible ,i did a ton of reaserch on everything he used,,and i have all of it,,,even his 1969 atlas cymbal stands,,,there very rare as they made that design only one year,,you can see them on the song remains the same video,,the trypod legs have a offset,,thats it,,,there very rare,,i have 2 of them,,i even have the correct drummers thrones for every kit,,,a 1975 throne for the amber kit a 1973 throne for the green sparkles,,,a 1979 throne for the stainless kit,,the gong took a year to get correctly done from paiste,,they send them by boat from switzerland to san diego then ship them to illinois where i live,,,well the first one said ''paiste'' but no chinese letters,,so it went back,,,,3 mts later the second one arrived,,,same shit ''paiste'' but still no chinese letters,,,,i sent it back,,,the 3rd one came 3 mts later and it had the chinese letters,,,but no ''paiste'' so it also went back,,finally a guy named eric called from switzerland and asked why this guy carl keeps sending back 38'' gongs,,,they told him why,,,he said he would personally take care of it,,,when i heard he called the music store i asked ''does this guy eric know what hes talking about""? they replied yes i hope so,,,his name is eric paiste the owner of paiste co!!!! so it was a year later but i had a real bonzo gong,,this new maple kit im doing should be the last (this maple kit was the find of a life time,,built by ludwig in 1971 and ordered as a bonham by origional owner i just bought it from him,,,i hear the value is close to ten grand for this kit)as theres no other bonham kit i would like to get,,the only one i wont have is his silver sparkle kit but im really not interested in it, hell i even have a threman going thru a marshall amp,,and a violin with a electric pick up , im learning how to play it as its used in the studio version of kashmier,,and i get some cool page sounds outta it with the bow! but as far as drums i got most of john's shit down,,i have been a drumer since 1968 and he has been#1 in my book since late 69/70 thanks for reading about my obsession! any questions please feel free to e mail me as i love this shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! carl ---------------rock on------------

Wow! Great kits! I wish I had the funds to put one together as well. I'll get there dammit! LOL I did manage to get the 1969 Supraphonic snare and it's fuckin' EAR splitting!

Great job on the kits. They look fantastic!

The right snare is such a big part of the sound.

For regular gigging the vistalite kit is a bit too fragile.

Definitely wants lugging around in the hardest hardcases you can find.

Our drummer split his bass in two..... and quit because of it. :o

We lost about a quarter of our "Zep factor" overnight and over a year later we are still not as good as when he left. :(

(Still one of the best in the UK though :rolleyes::D )

The right snare is such a big part of the sound.

For regular gigging the vistalite kit is a bit too fragile.

Definitely wants lugging around in the hardest hardcases you can find.

Our drummer split his bass in two..... and quit because of it. :o

We lost about a quarter of our "Zep factor" overnight and over a year later we are still not as good as when he left. :(

(Still one of the best in the UK though :rolleyes::D )

I agree on the snare. I searched for years to get that "pop" and the Supraphonic iis all that and then some. As far as the vistalites, I never really like their sound much and for the price they seem more like a novelty kit. Bonzo was always very particular about is snare sound and you can hear him on some boots over the soundboard mics telling the techs to turn it up in the monitor.

Split a bass drum? Yikes? I thought my breaking Paistes and shredding hi-hats was bad. Nice work!

Well, I assume you lost your drummer. Fly me over and let's get it on! LOL

Nice kits, man. The green sparkle one is breathtakingly awesome. When I saw them in concert, that's the one Bonzo used. Now you need a gloss maple and you'll be set. :D

Thanks for sharing.

i just got a 1972 maple 3 ply kit ,ordered from ludwig in 1971 as a bonham kit and built by ludwig as a bonham kit,,not assembled 20 yrs later as a bonham kit, i am currently refinishing it and should be taking pics in about 3 to 4 weeks the rack tom is same as johns 12x14 26x14 bass and 16+18 floors

Archived