The 60's and 70's Peace/Love Thread.

Mary Hartman

The 60's and 70's Peace Love Poll.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Peace/Love?
    • Hate/War?
  2. 2. Were You Around During The 60's And 70's?

• Yes (Explain)!
    • No (Explain)!

The 60's and 70's was an interesting time period. You see many people asking what it was like and sort of wanting to live in this period. Retro clothes and much more.

I would like to dedicate this thread to.

John Lennon

john-lennon.jpg

Peace.

I was right in the thick of it living in San Francisco and the Haight/Ashbury was my hang out.

My most memorable time from then was when I saw Jimi play for free in the Panhandle and then I saw him again that night at the Fillmore. That was in June 1967 and I'd just turned 17 in April.

It was fun while it lasted. B)

I was right in the thick of it living in San Francisco and the Haight/Ashbury was my hang out.

My most memorable time from then was when I saw Jimi play for free in the Panhandle and then I saw him again that night at the Fillmore. That was in June 1967 and I'd just turned 17 in April.

But It's All Over Now - Take A Look At The Guy

I loved the late 60s and 70s. I remember clearly the tragedy of President Kennedy's assasination. I was in a public school in Brooklyn, NY, second grade. Some time that day my teacher came into the room after chatting with a colleague next door. She was (unusual for her) speechless and stunned. Then my principal made the announcement over the loud speaker. There was a rapid dismissal that day.

Also, I remember the sad day of Dr. King's death. RFK went to Harlem to break the news. I was in the 6th grade that year. Also that year, I met a good friend, Sharon. This was Sharon's first year in my school because she lived afar. She was bussed into my school zone due to desegregation. She turned me on to Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terell, the Dells and some more artists of Motown. I admired her for another reason: she was purely undaunted (she wasn't acquainted with them yet, lucky her!) when the usual bullies taunted me. She had my unswerving devotion one day when she told one them to "f--k off." Needless to say, she quickly became my best friend.

She and I parted when we attended Junior High because of zoning. We lived too far from each other.

High School years were filled with Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and Santana, Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Wonder (Innervisions, esp). I also remember the group Malo. Of course I remember Led Zeppelin! But, like a fool, I didn't appreciate them as much then, except "Going to California". lol Now, I see the error of my ways. :)

I'm the one person who said they weren't around. I'm 15 and therefor eI could possibly have been there.

I'm going to hang around here and soak up the stories.

I wasn't around either but I so love hearing the stories of those who were :)

I wasn't around either but I so love hearing the stories of those who were :)

My friend Ralph used to live a few doors down from Quicksilver Messenger Service.

That was on 18th Street where we always caught the 33 Ashbury over to the Haight.

B)

The last time I saw Jimi was at Winterland and he was so loud I think the paint was falling off the wall. :D

'Blue Cheer' claimed to be the loudest band in existence back then and I think it was true. :blink:

My friend Ralph used to live a few doors down from Quicksilver Messenger Service.

That was on 18th Street where we always caught the 33 Ashbury over to the Haight.

B)

The last time I saw Jimi was at Winterland and he was so loud I think the paint was falling off the wall. :D

'Blue Cheer' claimed to be the loudest band in existence back then and I think it was true. :blink:

I love Quicksilver! When I was in San Fran many moons ago, I drove by The Dead and Jefferson Airplane's houses. How lucky you saw Jimi :yesnod:

Awww you lucky foo you! I would have loved to see Hendrix. I have a niece that wish's she was born in the 70's.

I remember the moon landing because I collected the news papers. I guess I'm just happy to have seen Zep, Black Sabbath and many more. You cannot recreate history. You can try.

But IMO you had to have been there :D

<grammatical correction on edit>

I love Quicksilver! When I was in San Fran many moons ago, I drove by The Dead and Jefferson Airplane's houses. How lucky you saw Jimi :yesnod:

Quicksilver was one of my fave live bands. We caught them in Sausalito one time playing for free and passing out popsicles. :D

We used to always see Jerry Garcia walking around Haight Street. 'Captain Trips'

B)

I saw Jimi 5 times. The last time with Band Of Gypsies.

Quicksilver was one of my fave live bands. We caught them in Sausalito one time playing for free and passing out popsicles. :D

We used to always see Jerry Garcia walking around Haight Street. 'Captain Trips'

B)

That's great. Who else from that area did you get to see live?

Awww you lucky foo you! I would have loved to see Hendrix. I have a niece that wish's she was born in the 70's.

I remember the moon landing because I collected the news papers. I guess I'm just happy to have seen Zep, Black Sabbath and many more. You cannot recreate history. You can try.

But IMO you had to have been there :D

<grammatical correction on edit>

Yep, it was pretty cool to see him in the Panhandle because he was still unknown then. There's a pic of him playing there and I'm out in the audience somewhere. I'll have to try to find that pic.

I was floored when I first heard 'Purple haze' on the radio. :o

I never saw Zeppelin. We had tickets but that was when Plant got in the car wreck. :(

Never tried to see them after that even though they did play Winterland and Kezar Stadium.

I loved the late 60s and 70s. I remember clearly the tragedy of President Kennedy's assasination. I was in a public school in Brooklyn, NY, second grade. Some time that day my teacher came into the room after chatting with a colleague next door. She was (unusual for her) speechless and stunned. Then my principal made the announcement over the loud speaker. There was a rapid dismissal that day.

Also, I remember the sad day of Dr. King's death. RFK went to Harlem to break the news. I was in the 6th grade that year. Also that year, I met a good friend, Sharon. This was Sharon's first year in my school because she lived afar. She was bussed into my school zone due to desegregation. She turned me on to Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terell, the Dells and some more artists of Motown. I admired her for another reason: she was purely undaunted (she wasn't acquainted with them yet, lucky her!) when the usual bullies taunted me. She had my unswerving devotion one day when she told one them to "f--k off." Needless to say, she quickly became my best friend.

She and I parted when we attended Junior High because of zoning. We lived too far from each other.

High School years were filled with Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and Santana, Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Wonder (Innervisions, esp). I also remember the group Malo. Of course I remember Led Zeppelin! But, like a fool, I didn't appreciate them as much then, except "Going to California". lol Now, I see the error of my ways. :)

Fan S. thanks for being a heart-warming storyteller. Your story is of exceptional friendship experienced by very few, during difficult times and you have witnessed such intense moments in U.S. History, which I am sure puts things in perspective in current times......Peace :D

Which Do You Prefer?

Peace/Love?

Hate/War?

Bit of a self serving question, no?

Personally I LOVE hate and war, makes for a more interesting world you see. :|

accurate, you must to love everything

This was a wonderful era during which I saw many great bands (in the UK), stories told repeatedly so won't bore you again, except that as Hendrix has been mentioned several times, I can't help saying yet again that I had tix to see him but got chicken pox, I'm still mad about it!

The other so-near-yet-so-far moment was when I got tix for John Peel's live radio taping--I went to lots of these, they were free, and tix were easy to get, especially if you didn't specify who you wanted to see, and one time I got tix for what was supposed to be Zeppelin, but they postponed for a week and I couldn't return the next week. I think we got Blodwyn Pig and Caravan instead. (Good bands, but still I was glad I did get to see Zep in the end!) Mind you, I saw Tyrannosaurus Rex about six times. And later T. Rex about another five. Bowie and the Spiders from Mars five or six times too.

Fan S. thanks for being a heart-warming storyteller. Your story is of exceptional friendship experienced by very few, during difficult times and you have witnessed such intense moments in U.S. History, which I am sure puts things in perspective in current times......Peace :D

Hey, thanks a lot, PlanetPage! I guess I gave several examples of "where were you when" moments. Re: the 60s and 70s flower power era :)

I believe everyone is allowed to participate. And I did include you can explain your viewpoints. Some do like hate and war. Hitler was a pretty good example I think.

Hitler had a warped view on the world; he thought that through the method of war and generating irrational hatred he could develop a stronger and more wilful people, and a happier (in his view)/ utopian world. No one.

Are you also suggesting that 'peace' and 'love' are virtues people no longer believe in? It seems kind of easy to look back on the past with rose tinted glasses... even the uglier times and beliefs are tainted by a rosey nostalgia after a certain amount of time. No doubt I'll look back on my youth (now), and all the bullshit things I hate about this era, like that and think it was so much better than it was... Not that I'm discrediting the hopes of the hippies in that time.. But those views aren't lost. Not that they're even 'views'... no one loves everyone, to say you do is just an outright lie. I have real and unconditional for a handful of individuals (excluding my immediate family - that's a given), and that's real... it seems love was an idea then... people liked this lovely idea of loving everyone... having a shallow affection for who they were.. and that's cute, but it's not love.

Peace is great.. it's comfy. I think we need hardship in our lives though.. my generation has it too easy. We take everything for granted and live comfortable existences.. and so are prone to become insecure and develop anxieties about the most ridiculous, petty things. I see it everyday. People need to grow hair on their chests and we need hardship to do so... not necessarily war, but I think at least a period of serious strife in one's life is far more important, and valuble to us as people, than a life of complacent, petty comfort.

^^ It's for these reasons, when things were tougher and people had less and appreciated things more that I wish I was born into that generation, not the ideals of 'peace' and 'love', which at least today seem kind of redundant hippy buzzwords.

Archived