The 60's and 70's Peace/Love Thread.

Mary Hartman

The 60's and 70's Peace Love Poll.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Peace/Love?
    • Hate/War?
  2. 2. Were You Around During The 60's And 70's?

• Yes (Explain)!
    • No (Explain)!

This was a wonderful era during which I saw many great bands (in the UK), stories told repeatedly so won't bore you again, except that as Hendrix has been mentioned several times, I can't help saying yet again that I had tix to see him but got chicken pox, I'm still mad about it!

The other so-near-yet-so-far moment was when I got tix for John Peel's live radio taping--I went to lots of these, they were free, and tix were easy to get, especially if you didn't specify who you wanted to see, and one time I got tix for what was supposed to be Zeppelin, but they postponed for a week and I couldn't return the next week. I think we got Blodwyn Pig and Caravan instead. (Good bands, but still I was glad I did get to see Zep in the end!) Mind you, I saw Tyrannosaurus Rex about six times. And later T. Rex about another five. Bowie and the Spiders from Mars five or six times too.

I would have LOVED to have seen John Peel's radio tapings! That's so cool you got to see so many great bands - sighs...

I would have LOVED to have seen John Peel's radio tapings! That's so cool you got to see so many great bands - sighs...

They weren't all on Peelie's shows, I should clarify. Several of the Tyrannosaurus shows were, though.

I was very lucky, it's true. :yesnod:

I chose Peace and Love over War and Hate but, there are some people I do not like and do not want to associate with.

On the other hand there are people that I do like but don't see often enough so it's kind of odd the way life tends to treat you some of the time.

I was around in the 60's but was quite young. The 70's I remember well.

Hitler and WWII

A lot of factors - the conditions in Germany were terrible. The Treaty of Versailles forced Germany to pay a huge war debt (quite extreme). Inflation caused the deutschmark to be worth literally nothing. (People would take like trillions of bills in wheel barrows just to buy a loaf of bread). Hitler saw the strife and by rebuilding the army, he was able to get rid of the extreme unemployment and poverty. He gave out bread and food to the poor to gain support. World War II began because Hitler was slowly violating multiple parts of the Treaty of Versailles.

First he rebuilt the army (which was against the treaty). Then he began retaking old territories (like the Sudentenland and Rhineland). Britain and France allowed this for a while (a policy called appeasement) but when Germany invaded Poland, Britain and France decided to declare war.

Hitler believed that Aryan (supposedly German people with blond hair & blue eyes) were superior to Jews and Africans (Afro-Europeans). It was just a belief, but he thought that Jews (and Slavs, Communists, handicaps, gypsies, Poles, etc) were "untermensch" which literally means subhuman. He thought his "kind" was better than others so he began persecuting them which led to the Holocaust.

I found this on the web and have read something like it in print before the internet was around so I believe it to be true (Germany was in deep shit during the 1920's and 1930's). But the fact that Hitler was himself half Jew and born in the former nation of Austria/Hungry made it clear he was not a true German. This show's his lack of being a part of any real Aryan race. I don't know if there is any single Aryan (true German) race as most of the white people (in northern/central Europe) now living are of Anglo Saxon, Norman Saxon or some other combination of Saxon decent.

I'm going to hang around here and soak up the stories.

Me too. I was born in 1972 and don't really remember alot from the late 70's. I have seen many documentaries of course about the 60's and 70's, very interesting stuff. I enjoy reading everyone's stories about that time and things they got to experience. I am all for Peace and Love. :peace::hippy:

I agree that it helps to have lived through some hard times in order to appreciate the good times. However, I don't long to have lived during a different time period (including the 60s). It may be hard to realize with how much television news tends to sanitize it but we're presently living in a time of war. We're also living during one of the toughest economic times since the Great Depression. During the sixties there was rioting in the streets, racial strife, the Vietnam war, etc. Who, in their right mind would want to return to that time period to live through that? Certainly not I, times are tough enough as they are right here in the present.

For me, though, and many others, there was this exciting vibe at the time, as rock music proliferated in so many different ways, a youth culture developed, and we honestly thought we could change the world for the better. Then, of course, disillusionment set in, and there was always an element of anger at the heart of the hippie movement that people tend to forget. But for a while there, it really was the most exciting time to be alive that I can remember.

I was born in '62 so I'm too young to remember much of the sixties but as the youngest of six kids I did experience a great deal of it through them.

As far as not having any desire to have experienced that time period as an older person, I feel the same way about the 70s. I've encountered a lot of people on this board that wished they had grown up then. As someone that actually did grow up during that time period, I'm here to say it was not all that great. People seem to think that everything was better then when in reality it wasn't that way at all. Believe it or not, there was shitty music then too. There's was also lots of great music but there's also lots of great music now. I guess I'm just someone that prefers to live in the now rather that longing to have grown up in another time period altogether.

There were some bloody horrible clothes in the 70s too. :D

It was great back then, and it's also great now, for me (Pollyanna that I am! :lol:). But I will say that I'm glad I grew up when I did, and wouldn't have missed those decades for the world.

Don't get the wrong idea as I have no regrets about the time period I grew up in either as it helped to shape the person I am today. I just think certain aspects of the 60s and 70s have been over romanticized when I feel what is most important is to fully appreciate the moment I'm living in now.

We were young in the 60's and 70's. Full of life, full of hope and we lived in the moment. I'm a little sorer than I used to be but I still live in the moment, still think there's hope and appreciate life for what it really is. How does this relate to the topic ? People tell me I look at life through rose coloured glasses, I tell them there were many day's in the 70's when all I saw was one big hallucination :bagoverhead:

The women and the music were great B):D

For me, though, and many others, there was this exciting vibe at the time, as rock music proliferated in so many different ways, a youth culture developed, and we honestly thought we could change the world for the better. Then, of course, disillusionment set in, and there was always an element of anger at the heart of the hippie movement that people tend to forget. But for a while there, it really was the most exciting time to be alive that I can remember.

I think that's what makes it such a fascinating time for me - not just how much great music came from there, but how the music was so connected to the whole youth culture and this culture really tried to change the world. I know there were a lot of problems as Jahfin mentioned, but I think this aspect of it was so unique to anything that happened before or since, that it just has an attraction to it that's a bit hard to articulate. If any of that makes sense. I'm not saying I want to turn the hands of time back, though there are things about the 60s and 70s that have been so lost to technology and a lot of other issues I wish didn't have to be that way.

I agree that it helps to have lived through some hard times in order to appreciate the good times. However, I don't long to have lived during a different time period (including the 60s). It may be hard to realize with how much television news tends to sanitize it but we're presently living in a time of war. We're also living during one of the toughest economic times since the Great Depression. During the sixties there was rioting in the streets, racial strife, the Vietnam war, etc. Who, in their right mind would want to return to that time period to live through that? Certainly not I, times are tough enough as they are right here in the present.

And, this is why I've never bought into the whole 'you've never had it so easy' comment. Does't that statement apply to every generation? My grandparents probably thought my parents were living the life of Riley in the 60's/70's - and, compared to living through WWII, they were absolutely right. My parents, no doubt, will think the same of me - and with three-day weeks, strikes, power cuts and the IRA - again, they'd be right. Come the time when I'll have kids, I'll probably look and mutter that they never had it so easy because we had to live through the economic downturn, the war on terror, etc. You don't need to go back to a different era to appreciate hardship. It's there all the time.

I love the 60's and 70's - you wore great clothes and you had great music. But you also had a lot of shit going on - the Moors Murders, IRA, the Krays/Richardsons, Yorkshire Ripper, miners strikes, power cuts, etc. I'm lucky that I can still wear the clothes and still listen to the music, but I don't have to go through all that bad shit. And, sometimes, there were moments when it outweighed the positives. Don't get me wrong, I'm mighty jealous that I couldn't have lived through it first-hand, but that doesn't mean I'd want to now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and hindsight has told us that that time had a lot of turmoil going on. And it's usually glossed over with the nostalgia factor. I'm perfectly happy with the idealistic view of 'peace' and 'love' because we need it to outweigh all the bad that surrounds us. And who in their right mind would chose conflict over unity, anyway?

And, this is why I've never bought into the whole 'you've never had it so easy' comment. Does't that statement apply to every generation? My grandparents probably thought my parents were living the life of Riley in the 60's/70's - and, compared to living through WWII, they were absolutely right. My parents, no doubt, will think the same of me - and with three-day weeks, strikes, power cuts and the IRA - again, they'd be right. Come the time when I'll have kids, I'll probably look and mutter that they never had it so easy because we had to live through the economic downturn, the war on terror, etc. You don't need to go back to a different era to appreciate hardship. It's there all the time.

I love the 60's and 70's - you wore great clothes and you had great music. But you also had a lot of shit going on - the Moors Murders, IRA, the Krays/Richardsons, Yorkshire Ripper, miners strikes, power cuts, etc. I'm lucky that I can still wear the clothes and still listen to the music, but I don't have to go through all that bad shit. And, sometimes, there were moments when it outweighed the positives. Don't get me wrong, I'm mighty jealous that I couldn't have lived through it first-hand, but that doesn't mean I'd want to now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and hindsight has told us that that time had a lot of turmoil going on. And it's usually glossed over with the nostalgia factor. I'm perfectly happy with the idealistic view of 'peace' and 'love' because we need it to outweigh all the bad that surrounds us. And who in their right mind would chose conflict over unity, anyway?

Good points ! I think every generation has it's challenges though. Some more than other's. The difference today is that we have the internet and that allows us to communicate all over the world. As long as we're willing to listen, we can easily get to the truth of the matter. I agree with Ninelives, the 60's were an interesting time when ordinary citizens stood up and tried to make change happen. I wonder just how successful they might have been if they had this medium at their disposal.

I seriously doubt having the internet would have changed anything. I may have already posted this but I saw a very interesting segment on CBS' Sunday Morning a couple of weekends ago called Blackberry Mania. Unfortunately it's not available online anywhere in either written or video form but I did find this blog entry about it:

Also heard a think piece by Jeff Greenfield on the Mother’s Day edition of CBS Sunday Morning. His subject, which is unfortunately not captured online in video or text, was “Blackberry Mania.” He cited the Laputa society of Jonathan Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels,” so consumed with their own deep thoughts they required floggers to keep them from crashing into themselves. All this led into a b-roll shot of pedestrians on cell phones and iPods.

With that image in mind, I’ll lead in to the ultimately closing act of all time, Bob Dylan. His current Rolling Stone interview is not available in its entirety online, so I’ll cite his golden quote here:

"It’s peculiar and unnerving in a way to see so many young people walking around with cell phones and iPods in their ears and so wrapped up in media and video games. It robs them of their self-identity. It’s a shame to see them so tuned out to real life. Of course they are free to do that, as if that’s got anything to do with freedom. The cost of liberty is high, and young people should understand that before they start spending their life with all those gadgets."

So, I'm not so sure having the internet at their disposal would have changed much of anything back in the 60s and 70s. If anything if probably would have proved to be a further distraction, much like it has become now.

I seriously doubt having the internet would have changed anything. I may have already posted this but I saw a very interesting segment on CBS' Sunday Morning a couple of weekends ago called Blackberry Mania. Unfortunately it's not available online anywhere in either written or video form but I did find this blog entry about it:

Also heard a think piece by Jeff Greenfield on the Mother’s Day edition of CBS Sunday Morning. His subject, which is unfortunately not captured online in video or text, was “Blackberry Mania.” He cited the Laputa society of Jonathan Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels,” so consumed with their own deep thoughts they required floggers to keep them from crashing into themselves. All this led into a b-roll shot of pedestrians on cell phones and iPods.

With that image in mind, I’ll lead in to the ultimately closing act of all time, Bob Dylan. His current Rolling Stone interview is not available in its entirety online, so I’ll cite his golden quote here:

"It’s peculiar and unnerving in a way to see so many young people walking around with cell phones and iPods in their ears and so wrapped up in media and video games. It robs them of their self-identity. It’s a shame to see them so tuned out to real life. Of course they are free to do that, as if that’s got anything to do with freedom. The cost of liberty is high, and young people should understand that before they start spending their life with all those gadgets."

So, I'm not so sure having the internet at their disposal would have changed much of anything back in the 60s and 70s. If anything if probably would have proved to be a further distraction, much like it has become now.

No doubt it might have been Jahfin but I think it could have cut through the misinformation that was being handed out and we probably would have found far more of our parents actively supporting the cause. Not that it would have been a guarantee but, it could have made change much more likely. It's just interesting to think of that possibility

No doubt it might have been Jahfin but I think it could have cut through the misinformation that was being handed out and we probably would have found far more of our parents actively supporting the cause. Not that it would have been a guarantee but, it could have made change much more likely. It's just interesting to think of that possibility

I hate to be so cynical as there's really no way for telling for sure since it's all conjecture at this point but the internet, while a great place to find info (depending of course on the source), it can also be a very effective tool for spreading propaganda.

This was a wonderful era during which I saw many great bands (in the UK), stories told repeatedly so won't bore you again, except that as Hendrix has been mentioned several times, I can't help saying yet again that I had tix to see him but got chicken pox, I'm still mad about it!

The other so-near-yet-so-far moment was when I got tix for John Peel's live radio taping--I went to lots of these, they were free, and tix were easy to get, especially if you didn't specify who you wanted to see, and one time I got tix for what was supposed to be Zeppelin, but they postponed for a week and I couldn't return the next week. I think we got Blodwyn Pig and Caravan instead. (Good bands, but still I was glad I did get to see Zep in the end!) Mind you, I saw Tyrannosaurus Rex about six times. And later T. Rex about another five. Bowie and the Spiders from Mars five or six times too.

Aqua, I am glad Zep postponed, you written couple more Pages of history while waiting...How lucky you can get...I wish I was able to experience some of the 60's...a bit before my time and this part of the world...... (Life is what happens to you while making other plans)

Now, as for you chicken pox, I got no soothing lotion, just a little more irritation, courtesy, Brand "Jealousy"........ :peace:

Aqua, I am glad Zep postponed, you written couple more Pages of history while waiting...How lucky you can get...I wish I was able to experience some of the 60's...a bit before my time and this part of the world...... (Life is what happens to you while making other plans)

Now, as for you chicken pox, I got no soothing lotion, just a little more irritation, courtesy, Brand "Jealousy"........ :peace:

There was no cure for the irritation of that chicken pox, sadly. :lol: I'm still mad I missed Hendrix. (So no need to be jealous there!)

Sometime when I was in my mid teens in the 70s I said to myself that my life would never be complete unless i could see Led Zeppelin one time in concert. And I was prepared to see them no matter what it took. and it took alot of luck and determination.

....Led Zeppelin Concert or any other concert back then was an experience itself, but like you say, there was an"Experience" before The Experience. They both are equally important. I totally relate to your feelings. Mine had to be lack of determination (I had to Cross the Border with Foreign Passport) naturally outweighed against me being not quite 16 yet (I should have convinced my parents to take me and see what happened)... :D

That's great. Who else from that area did you get to see live?

Holy Moly!! Well, off the top of my head the very first band I saw was Janis & Big Brother at the Avalon Ballroom. I'll never forget it for the sound and the strobe light. :o

Other bands were:

The Dead

The Byrds

Moby Grape

Jefferson Airplane

Love w/Arthur Lee (still one of my fave bands)

Iron Butterfly

The Doors

The Chambers Brothers

Lee Michaels

Son House

Buddy Guy

Country Joe & The Fish

Sir Douglas Quintet

Santana

Creedence

Chicago

The Cream

Traffic

Grand Funk Railroad

Electric Flag

Youngbloods

Steve Miller

Robin Trower (early 70's)

Doobie Brothers (early 70's)

Ace Of Cups (Jimi used their amps in the Panhandle, all girls band)

John Lee Hooker

Blue Cheer

Canned Heat

Spirit

James Cotton

It's A Beautiful Day

And I'm sure there are some I've forgotten.

B)

I feel blessed that the internet was not around as i was growing up. I think it is sadly keeping today's youth from spending quality time with their friends, getting involved in more activities outside the house, and as Dylan said, robs them of self-identity.

My teens were in the 80's and i loved those years. I had the awesome music of the mid 60's and on to grow up loving. I got to see many bands that gained popularity in those years in concert during the late 70's and beyond. I was able to appreciate the best the 60's and 70's had to offer without being swept up in it. My only regrets are missing Led Zeppelin (as i have said before, would have seen them tour ITTOD if not for the tragic lose of John Bonham) and i also wish i could have seen Pink Floyd's "Animals" tour. I became a huge fan of Floyd when that album was newly released but was too young to see concerts. and of course, would have loved to see The Beatles, but i always understood they were over by the time i was introduced to them.

Archived