The 60's and 70's Peace/Love Thread.

Mary Hartman

The 60's and 70's Peace Love Poll.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Peace/Love?
    • Hate/War?
  2. 2. Were You Around During The 60's And 70's?

• Yes (Explain)!
    • No (Explain)!

I hate to be so cynical as there's really no way for telling for sure since it's all conjecture at this point but the internet, while a great place to find info (depending of course on the source), it can also be a very effective tool for spreading propaganda.

Yes it can be. It might even be safe to say that all info is propoganda. If people believe what they hear then I guess it is the truth ...to them. Perception = truth. The point I was trying to make was more one of having a common goal and having the vehicle to make it happen. There just hasn't been a movement as big since. If there were to be, the internet would be a valuable tool. Not the answer, a tool

i was born in 62. up until about 73 or so it was all about childhood stuff. luckily i had an older brother, so was introduced to zep, sabbath, deep purple etc etc . zep only came to oz once in 72, so i missed out on that :( . but i did get to see the fledgling ac/dc on one of their first tours. there was only a handfull of us at the concert, as they had only released baby, please don't go and high voltage, so weren't well known at that point. my friends and i got to go backstage and meet the guys. i tried on angus's cap! nice memories. if i could turn back the clock at all, it would be just a few years, so i could have been at that zep concert ( i am so jealous of you, reggie! )

i was born in 62. up until about 73 or so it was all about childhood stuff. luckily i had an older brother, so was introduced to zep, sabbath, deep purple etc etc . zep only came to oz once in 72, so i missed out on that :( . but i did get to see the fledgling ac/dc on one of their first tours. there was only a handfull of us at the concert, as they had only released baby, please don't go and high voltage, so weren't well known at that point. my friends and i got to go backstage and meet the guys. i tried on angus's cap! nice memories. if i could turn back the clock at all, it would be just a few years, so i could have been at that zep concert ( i am so jealous of you, reggie! )

Great story StZ!!! Must have been really cool to have seen AC/DC before anyone really knew of them :D

My favorite memory of the 70's is in fact the Led Zeppelin show from April 28th 1977.

clevealnd4-28-77-n.jpg

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-28-1977

Do look at the flip book.

Sam? Great work man :coffee:

I tried to add other things and this browser keeps crashing. I will try later perhaps. Oh yeah the guys in front of us had one of those 4 foot water bongs going around.

I'm the one person who said they weren't around. I'm 15 and therefor eI could possibly have been there.

I'm going to hang around here and soak up the stories.

I'm with ya, lzfan715!!

I've kinda been a generation-late hippie for several years. I'm always the chick sitting/laying in the grass somewhere or hugging a tree or something crazy. My friends are cool with it, though. My mother missed being a hippie by a few years (she was only about 5 years too young), but both her older brothers were hippies. One was a serious guitarist with a Sunburst Les Paul & Marshall cabinet amps. I've heard plenty of stories. :D

I've heard many people say on here and other places that it wasn't really as cool as it seems. I'm reading a book for school that was published in 71, and it's talking about how nasty the "Hippie Houses" were, and 13 year-olds ODing & describing the bad trips & stuff. One of my close friends was in law inforcement in the 60s-70s, and it's amazing to hear him talk about stuff that happened. He met Jerry Garcia! The Dead had had a concert in the area, and the highway patrol was trying to clear the Deadheads out of the truck stops & stuff. They tried everything to no avail. Finally, they somehow got a hold of Jerry. "They wouldn't listen to a thing we said, but Jerry Garcia asked them to move & they just all followed after him..." It's really a cool story. I really love the whole era, but I think if I actually lived it, I wouldn't love it nearly as much. I kinda like the romanticised version. I'm happy to sit in the yard with my buds & make clover necklaces like my mom did a generation ago :D

It was also the era when festivals were starting to proliferate, so it was easy to see lots of amazing bands all in one weekend--like at Bath, where in addition to Zep, we got Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Canned Heat, Santana, etc. etc.

But it's very true that the era has been romanticized (speaking of the late 60s--the 70s don't sound particularly romantic even in retrospect!). And by that I'm not referring to the notion that hippies were dirty, which now seems to be a stereotype but had nothing to do with reality, but with the political anger that underlay the movement--it wasn't all peace and love by a very long way. Just listen to Street Fighting Man.

The 60s/70s were hardly some idyllic utopia. To somehow say that they were the era of "peace and love" is an insult to the hell people had to live through then. Hippies, Woodstock and copious amounts of LSD is not the totality of the 60s. The 70s were not just disco, coke and bellbottoms.

The same shit those people had to go through, we have to go through now.

The 60s/70s were hardly some idyllic utopia. To somehow say that they were the era of "peace and love" is an insult to the hell people had to live through then. Hippies, Woodstock and copious amounts of LSD is not the totality of the 60s. The 70s were not just disco, coke and bellbottoms.

The same shit those people had to go through, we have to go through now.

How old were you then? Even though there were hard times like the war, desegregation etc'. It is really viewed as a peace love time even because of the bad times.

Sort of is the glass half empty or half full?

We surely wouldn't have many of the freedoms of today if it weren't for the protests, The E.R.A and people saying "Hey what the fuck are we living in a commie country or a free one?"

......It is true, more the world changes, more it stays the same......It is just that times were more simpler back than as age of technology did not complicate things. The problems were the same, but the ways to deal with them Politics, social, etc. humans had more opportunity to communicate fact to face, coming closer together (communities formed because they had no choice of modern conveniences but to depend on each other, that naturally added the Human touch missing today)

It was certainly an interesting time in Western World both Happy and Painful...it was no different for the Eastern world. While the West was searching spirituality in India, in reality, the country was going through War with Pakistan in '65 (I was just 5 years old). The one I remember was '71 with my family and communities close by. I am very glad there was no Internet back then, for that matter anywhere. I cannot even begin to imagine the "Misuse" of this dangerous tool....I truly lived in the world of make-believe/fantasy Cinematic Vision which thrived on Romantic Kashmir (not the war-torn one that most people know). Sometimes I am glad that despite of the ugly times, we were only exposed to mostly "beauty". I take it as a blessing in disguise...for ugliness is here to stay. Do deal with ugliness, but through beauty, this one works for me

Here are some "timeless" beautiful moments in Kashmir .......Peace

kashmirkek.jpeg

Even though there were hard times like the war, desegregation etc'. It is really viewed as a peace love time even because of the bad times.

Sort of is the glass half empty or half full?

We surely wouldn't have many of the freedoms of today if it weren't for the protests, The E.R.A and people saying "Hey what the fuck are we living in a commie country or a free one?"

:slapface: Please remember that this is an international forum. Perhaps it can be argued back and forth whether the 60s/70s is viewed as a time of peace and love for the USA, but I really don't think that period is globally remembered as a hippie heaven or anything like that.

:slapface: Please remember that this is an international forum. Perhaps it can be argued back and forth whether the 60s/70s is viewed as a time of peace and love for the USA, but I really don't think that period is globally remembered as a hippie heaven or anything like that.

Never said it was a "Hippie Heaven." The movies, books are commercials you see on America are pretty geared towards Finland no? I've been overseas and I know for a fact that the media views America dimly in many respects. Cannot say as I blame them really.

That's a different story.

Tell us what the 60's and 70's were like in Finland?

Archived