The 60's and 70's Peace/Love Thread.

Mary Hartman

The 60's and 70's Peace Love Poll.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Peace/Love?
    • Hate/War?
  2. 2. Were You Around During The 60's And 70's?

• Yes (Explain)!
    • No (Explain)!

How old were you then?

Don't play obtuse, you know I was born in 1982. I don't have to have been born then.....my parents were alive at the time, they turned 20 at the end of the 60s and 30 at the end of the 70s. I read a shit-ton of books, I watch documentaries, I absorb primary sources.

People want to paint the late 60s as some idyllic time full of indiscriminate fucking, LSD and music when it was far, far more than that.

During the sixties there was rioting in the streets, racial strife, the Vietnam war, etc. Who, in their right mind would want to return to that time period to live through that? Certainly not I, times are tough enough as they are right here in the present.

Like I said, it was fun while it lasted until reality and paranoia set in.

I really thought the world was going to end back then as it seemed war & strife was everywhere. :unsure:

Don't play obtuse, you know I was born in 1982. I don't have to have been born then.....my parents were alive at the time, they turned 20 at the end of the 60s and 30 at the end of the 70s. I read a shit-ton of books, I watch documentaries, I absorb primary sources.

People want to paint the late 60s as some idyllic time full of indiscriminate fucking, LSD and music when it was far, far more than that.

I'm not here to argue about when you were born. If you hated that time period or prefer war and hate then that is your option.

1960's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960s

Peace Movement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_movement

john_lennon_cover.jpg

The U.S. vs. John Lennon (USA: 2006, 99 mins.)

Thursday January 31, 2008, 5:30pm and 7:30pm

Music by John Lenon and The Beatles

One of the most memorable messages of "The U.S. vs. John Lennon" is that the Bush Administration is acting in Iraq just as Nixon acted in Vietnam.

John Lennon moved to New York with Yoko in the late '60s and quickly assumed a leadership role in the peace movement. Because he was a Beatle, he had vast influence both musically and politically over younger Americans. As a result, Nixon personally singled Lennon out for FBI surveillance and other forms of harrassment. Finally, the White House settled on trying to deport Lennon on the basis of a minor marijuana conviction in England years prior to his residency in New York. Lennon fought the deportation order with commitment and humor, and eventually prevailed. In the end, his attorney was able to prove that Nixon was personally involved in the effort to ban Lennon from the United States.

Artist. Humanitarian. National Threat.

"The U.S. vs. John Lennon" is a documentary that covers this story and the evolution of John Lennon into an activist for an end to the Vietnam War and for peace. It is a hopeful (and much-needed) reminder that one individual can stand firm against the raw, thuggish power of an executive branch that abuses the American Constitution for personal political gain.

Artist. Humanitarian. National Threat.

Courtesy Peace And Justice Films (Students For Peace And Justice) http://www.peaceandjusticefilms.org/2008sp...ohn_lennon.html

One good thing about the 60s was that you could see the Grateful Dead in San Francisco for 50 cents.

I used to have a poster of 'Janis & Big Brother presented by the Hells Angels'. Tickets were $1.

But THAT would have been the last concert I would have gone to. Remember Altamont! <_<

So consumed with their own deep thoughts they required floggers to keep them from crashing into themselves. All this led into a b-roll shot of pedestrians on cell phones and iPods.

That would make a great theme for a pinball machine. :D

I'm not here to argue about when you were born. If you hated that time period or prefer war and hate then that is your option.

Holy inability to read, Batman!

I never said I hated that time period, rather it's one of my favorites. I also never said I prefer war and hate. I would actually prefer it if next time you make a comment about something I've supposedly said, you at least get the content right.

What I said was, many many many people mischaracterize it or tend to look at it through rose-colored glasses.

........and I think you can easily turn this thread into Rock and Roll Encyclopedia, so keep it coming as you remember........ :D:D

One thing I really loved about 1966-67 was the hit songs that just came in an endless stream on AM radio. And I mentioned this before in the 'Vinyl' thread when I was a bicycle messenger in San Francisco where one day I found the Doors 'Strange Days' albums in the middle of the street and it had been run over by a car (it had tread marks on the cover) :lol: and when I took it home it played perfect and never skipped. :D

Never said it was a "Hippie Heaven." The movies, books are commercials you see on America are pretty geared towards Finland no? I've been overseas and I know for a fact that the media views America dimly in many respects. Cannot say as I blame them really.

That's a different story.

Tell us what the 60's and 70's were like in Finland?

Hmm yes, cultural products from USA are a part of the daily life here in Finland these days, and our journalists also write about America regularly, during Obama's presidency with a fairly positive tone too. I'm afraid I am too young to know firsthand how things were in the 60's and 70's, but of course people did follow the news back then also, and western youth culture became popular here as well.

I do appreciate you asking about the Finnish 60's and 70's, but I guess I should think about this a little more before I answer. There were a few influences around then, and regional differences within the country regarding youth culture and protest movements were much greater than they are now (my hometown in the north was way more conservative than eg. Helsinki) so I will reflect on your question a bit more and answer it later, if that is ok.

I never said I hated that time period, rather it's one of my favorites. I also never said I prefer war and hate. I would actually prefer it if next time you make a comment about something I've supposedly said, you at least get the content right.

What I said was, many many many people mischaracterize it or tend to look at it through rose-colored glasses.

I think you want to argue lol. I don't feel up to it thank you.

Indeed, as I attended many demonstrations here. We had a pretty good turnout of people at all the rallies. Country Joe and The Fish also summed things up nicely.

I'd love to hear more about what the rallies were like.

Hotplant can tell you about the US scene, as I wasn't here then.

In Europe, this was the time when students were political activists more or less by definition--the word student had connotations then that it's totally lost now. The ones we all admired most were the French students--in Paris one rally resulted in them tearing up the paving stones from the streets, hence the line in Street Fighting Man about "in sleepy London town just ain't no place for a street fighting man" because the scene in London wasn't as extreme, but there was still a riot in front of the American embassy in Grosvenor Square, involving all sorts of violence, riot police, and mounted police. (I remember being sick as a pig because I missed it! :rolleyes: )

In Europe, this was the time when students were political activists more or less by definition--the word student had connotations then that it's totally lost now. The ones we all admired most were the French students--in Paris one rally resulted in them tearing up the paving stones from the streets, hence the line in Street Fighting Man about "in sleepy London town just ain't no place for a street fighting man" because the scene in London wasn't as extreme, but there was still a riot in front of the American embassy in Grosvenor Square, involving all sorts of violence, riot police, and mounted police. (I remember being sick as a pig because I missed it! :rolleyes: )

Oh,

I love the Grosvenor Square area. My favorite embassy front has to be the Canadian. Just very colorful. This area has the most gorgeous little coffee shops and B&B's. I can see it now, tear gas and all. I know I've heard many stories about how it was more open before the US Embassy was Barricaded up for good. Quite a few panhandlers too though, especially around the tubes :(

How old were you then? Even though there were hard times like the war, desegregation etc'. It is really viewed as a peace love time even because of the bad times.

Sort of is the glass half empty or half full?

We surely wouldn't have many of the freedoms of today if it weren't for the protests, The E.R.A and people saying "Hey what the fuck are we living in a commie country or a free one?"

No shit; what the fuck indeed. But you shouldn't forget that it's also a period of time when millions of people WERE living in 'commie countries.' For me, it's also a period of time when students were chosing self-immolation as a form of protest, and it still didn't change anything. So, because I naturally tend to choose love and peace over the other option, I won't hesitate to say that those were fucked up times and I'm really really glad I was born in 1986.

No shit; what the fuck indeed. But you shouldn't forget that it's also a period of time when millions of people WERE living in 'commie countries.' For me, it's also a period of time when students were chosing self-immolation as a form of protest, and it still didn't change anything. So, because I naturally tend to choose love and peace over the other option, I won't hesitate to say that those were fucked up times and I'm really really glad I was born in 1986.

Thought provoking. I'm tepid about answering that without proper consideration.

Let me put it another way....responding to it :huh: I wonder what my friend in Slovakia is doing...

Very interesting - it's great to hear stories from abroad and how the youth culture was at the time!

Quite true Liz. Understandable though. Kind of nostalgic and regrettable at the same time. Like wishing you'd tried to follow your dream but never quite did. In our minds we try to justify it but, that thought sticks with you

Yes, I remember him warming up the crowd. What's that spell? lol

Yes, that is what it was like. :D

As far as stories, well... here in SLC, for the most part demonstrations, protests, rallies, sit-ins, were very NON-violent. I never saw anyone being abused by the "pigs" back then. In fact some were quite supportive, and were just there to make sure no one got crazy.

My sister, who was my best friend as well, was very active in all things activist. She is eight years older than me, so I often hung out with her and her friends who were all college age, pro peace activists. So she would let me know whenever there was a happening, and sometimes drug me along.

Most protests started at the University of Utah, and would head to a park, then we would march down the street next to Reservoir Park to the Federal Building where there would be speakers and all would join in.

There were often band jams before and after.

My sisters husband was a contentious objector and actually went to prison because he did not believe in killing people. So, he became active in Amnesty International, and helped others go to Canada.

He was on the "people to watch carefully" list back in the height of Tricky Dicky's reign.

I do have a vivid memory of Tricky Dicky's visit to SLC. We were there protesting him just being here, and I swear I looked into his eyes as he passed us in a row of "greeters" and I saw the devil incarnate. I would not shake his hand as he held it out thinking we actually were there to like him.

The thing was, back then our friends and families were losing young, I mean YOUNG kids really, to the Draft... they did NOT volunteer, hence my outrage. My brother was four years older than me, and he was probably going to be drafted had it not been for an injury to his shoulder. So it WAS personal to me. Indeed we HAD boys come home in a box in our neighborhood.

I never partook in any violent protests, and like I said, most here were very peaceful.

But I'm surprised people don't know what happened in the larger picture. I mean, who can forget Kent state?

Kent State

SLC's rallies

Then of course there were the radicals...ie: Abbie Hoffman.

Abbie

The link to SLC'S rallies isn't linking, but it could be my browser. The article outlines our marches, etc. The largest was estimated 4,000...lowest...40. We were not a huge metroplex then, so to get that many people out was pretty good for a largely Mormon town.

:hippy::peace:

I wouldn't trade my times then for anything. It was all impowering, to realize that we could change things. And things DID change. I remember too the day it was announced the WAR WAS OVER!!!!!

Boy, did we party like rock stars that week! Sadly at what cost, so many lost, for what? :(

And for those who were drafted, they have my upmost respect, they went through hell...not by their choice.

I would love to go back to the Haight-Ashbury district in 1967. More for the clothes and music than anything else. I love vintage clothes and I'd probably live in the stores. I'd get some peasant skirts and long dresses and some bellbottom jeans.....all shit that would be authentic and NOT vintage, so it wouldn't be expensive like those things are now.

Oh yeah and I'd haul back a vintage turntable, Polaroid camera, TV set and radio.

Thanks so much for sharing some of your experiences Hotplant! I'm happy your brother didn't have to get drafted. I do think the youth culture made a difference in things. Maybe not on the level they hoped and probably (correct me if I'm wrong since I wasn't there) drugs got in the way of things. At any rate, despite all the negatives of the time as has been discussed earlier in the thread, I still think the fact that a generation united with a goal to try to make a difference in the world is a pretty powerful situation and one I wish on some level would resurface again, in these tumultuous times we're in.

Thanks so much for sharing some of your experiences Hotplant! I'm happy your brother didn't have to get drafted. I do think the youth culture made a difference in things. Maybe not on the level they hoped and probably (correct me if I'm wrong since I wasn't there) drugs got in the way of things. At any rate, despite all the negatives of the time as has been discussed earlier in the thread, I still think the fact that a generation united with a goal to try to make a difference in the world is a pretty powerful situation and one I wish on some level would resurface again, in these tumultuous times we're in.

You and me both Nine, sadly our youth today seem more focused on MySpace and video games than any kind of movements. And what really blew MY mind was the pure strength of the Mexican-American marches in Los Angeles. 500,000!! Now there's a group that means business and I was impressed. Immigration is an entirely different topic though. But you can NOT deny their strength.

Archived