The 60's and 70's Peace/Love Thread.

Mary Hartman

The 60's and 70's Peace Love Poll.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Peace/Love?
    • Hate/War?
  2. 2. Were You Around During The 60's And 70's?

• Yes (Explain)!
    • No (Explain)!

Yes, that is what it was like. :D

As far as stories, well... here in SLC, for the most part demonstrations, protests, rallies, sit-ins, were very NON-violent. I never saw anyone being abused by the "pigs" back then. In fact some were quite supportive, and were just there to make sure no one got crazy.

My sister, who was my best friend as well, was very active in all things activist. She is eight years older than me, so I often hung out with her and her friends who were all college age, pro peace activists. So she would let me know whenever there was a happening, and sometimes drug me along.

Most protests started at the University of Utah, and would head to a park, then we would march down the street next to Reservoir Park to the Federal Building where there would be speakers and all would join in.

There were often band jams before and after.

My sisters husband was a contentious objector and actually went to prison because he did not believe in killing people. So, he became active in Amnesty International, and helped others go to Canada.

He was on the "people to watch carefully" list back in the height of Tricky Dicky's reign.

I do have a vivid memory of Tricky Dicky's visit to SLC. We were there protesting him just being here, and I swear I looked into his eyes as he passed us in a row of "greeters" and I saw the devil incarnate. I would not shake his hand as he held it out thinking we actually were there to like him.

The thing was, back then our friends and families were losing young, I mean YOUNG kids really, to the Draft... they did NOT volunteer, hence my outrage. My brother was four years older than me, and he was probably going to be drafted had it not been for an injury to his shoulder. So it WAS personal to me. Indeed we HAD boys come home in a box in our neighborhood.

I never partook in any violent protests, and like I said, most here were very peaceful.

But I'm surprised people don't know what happened in the larger picture. I mean, who can forget Kent state?

Kent State

SLC's rallies

Then of course there were the radicals...ie: Abbie Hoffman.

Abbie

The link to SLC'S rallies isn't linking, but it could be my browser. The article outlines our marches, etc. The largest was estimated 4,000...lowest...40. We were not a huge metroplex then, so to get that many people out was pretty good for a largely Mormon town.

:hippy::peace:

I wouldn't trade my times then for anything. It was all impowering, to realize that we could change things. And things DID change. I remember too the day it was announced the WAR WAS OVER!!!!!

Boy, did we party like rock stars that week! Sadly at what cost, so many lost, for what? :(

And for those who were drafted, they have my upmost respect, they went through hell...not by their choice.

I knew someone who was working at Kent State on that day.

I would love to go back to the Haight-Ashbury district in 1967. More for the clothes and music than anything else. I love vintage clothes and I'd probably live in the stores. I'd get some peasant skirts and long dresses and some bellbottom jeans.....all shit that would be authentic and NOT vintage, so it wouldn't be expensive like those things are now.

Oh yeah and I'd haul back a vintage turntable, Polaroid camera, TV set and radio.

I hear that! Sadly when I went there several years ago, there are very few traces of the old Haight left. There was a sign where the free clinic was and maybe one or two retro clothing stores. The corner of Haight and Ashbury Streets had a Gap :rolleyes: Still it was fun to stroll around and imagine what life was like back in the hey day.

Thought provoking. I'm tepid about answering that without proper consideration.

Let me put it another way....responding to it :huh: I wonder what my friend in Slovakia is doing...

Is it? All I'm saying is that my parents are envious of me (well, not really, because they love me, but you know what I mean), not vice versa.

And for those who were drafted, they have my upmost respect, they went through hell...not by their choice.

My brother was drafted and was at Cu-Chi where they built the base right on top of all the tunnels the commies had built. So he not only had to worry about going out in the field to fight but also had to worry about the Viet Cong popping up out of a hole to create havoc and death where they were supposed to be safe. He didn't like to talk about the war either but he has some cool pics of him and all his buddies over there.

But when he got home in '67 he got right into the Haight/Ashbury scene, bought a brand new BSA 440 Victor bike and tooled around SF on that til it got stolen. B)

Archived