What if Physical Graffiti Wasn't A Double Album?

Let me note before I start that I ADMIRE, LOVE, and COMPLETELY ACCEPT all the tracks from Physical Graffiti. I also realize that this thread may not appeal to everyone. Some may even call this "blasphemy" though I certainly hope not. Having said that...

Recently I was reading that Beatles fans take a look at the White Album (my personal favorite from the Beatles) and try to decide what songs they would keep from the album if it had not been released as a double. I had the idea to try this with Physical Graffiti. There are 15 tracks to work with and I deem that only 8 tracks can be kept. What if things had been different...

Physical Graffiti- Led Zeppelin 1975

The Rover

In My Time of Dying

Houses of the Holy

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

The Wanton Song

Black Country Woman

Sick Again

That's how I see it. Any takers?

Hmmm that's interesting, I dunno if I could decide the tracks that would go on a single album, I mean looking at them, I just can't see them being separated, becuase the set list works.

Still, if it were to happen I reckon (not in specific order-that would take me a flippin' long time :lol: )

Custard Pie

The Rover

Houses of the Holy

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

Down By the seaside

Night Flight

OR

IMTOD

Kashmir

In The Light

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By The Seaside

The Wanton song

Night Flight

Boogie With Stu

Black country Woman

Sick Again

OR

Sick Again

Kashmir

Trampled Underfoot

The Wanton Song

Black Country Woman

Custard Pie

Houses of the holy

Hmmm that's interesting, I dunno if I could decide the tracks that would go on a single album, I mean looking at them, I just can't see them being separated, becuase the set list works.

Still, if it were to happen I reckon (not in specific order-that would take me a flippin' long time :lol: )

Custard Pie

The Rover

Houses of the Holy

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

Down By the seaside

Night Flight

OR

IMTOD

Kashmir

In The Light

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By The Seaside

The Wanton song

Night Flight

Boogie With Stu

Black country Woman

Sick Again

OR

Sick Again

Kashmir

Trampled Underfoot

The Wanton Song

Black Country Woman

Custard Pie

Houses of the holy

Hard to decide isn't it? Lol :)

Yes coz all the songs work together, and even with those track lists I wouldn't know which one I would go for! :lol:

Yes it's a good thing that we weren't behind any decision making when they were realsing PG. Can you imagine?? :P

Funny thing is, because of the length of CDs Physical Graffiti would pass as a single album these days.

Haha that's true. Back then it was like-- whoa! 15 tracks! Lol. But, then again Led Zeppelin songs are much longer than your average songs.

Two things: 1.) Then CODA could have been a double album, due to all of the "left over" tracks laying around. 2.) I tried to put P.G. on a single disc and it doesn't fit an 80 min disc., just over the limit.

I would keep:

Custard Pie

The Rover

In My Time Of Dying

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

In The Light

Ten Years Gone

Sick Again

This disc would have been comparable to Presence in its "heaviness", not as many shades as Robert would say. ROCK ON! :thumbsup:

How about just allowing just the "new" material that was recorded in 1974 for the album? Then you would have:

CUSTARD PIE

TRAMPLED UNDERFOOT

TEN YEARS GONE

KASHMIR

IN THE LIGHT

THE WANTON SONG

SICK AGAIN

IN MY TIME OF DYING

... not too shabby ... but you can see where they were heading back towards their heavy sound that would predominate Presence.

I don't know but, Ten Years Gone, Down By the Seaside, The Wanton Song, Custard Pie, The Rover, In My Time Of Dieing, Houses of the Holy, Trampled Under Foot, Kashmir, In the Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Night Flight, Boogie With Stu, Black Country Woman and Sick Again, must absolutely stay in the song list!!! I just could not live knowing that I would have missed any of these song's on that album!! It was the album that turned me into a Led Zeppelin head!!

these days, physical graffiti and presence would be the double album. that would have been one great record. to cut up the double record of physical graffiti, guess the stuff off the second record would have to get cut, would be a shame though. as it is and how vinyl was, what a great listening experience.

Let me note before I start that I ADMIRE, LOVE, and COMPLETELY ACCEPT all the tracks from Physical Graffiti. I also realize that this thread may not appeal to everyone. Some may even call this "blasphemy" though I certainly hope not. Having said that...

Recently I was reading that Beatles fans take a look at the White Album (my personal favorite from the Beatles) and try to decide what songs they would keep from the album if it had not been released as a double. I had the idea to try this with Physical Graffiti. There are 15 tracks to work with and I deem that only 8 tracks can be kept. What if things had been different...

Physical Graffiti- Led Zeppelin 1975

The Rover

In My Time of Dying

Houses of the Holy

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

The Wanton Song

Black Country Woman

Sick Again

That's how I see it. Any takers?

May I ask why you left Custard Pie, Trampled Under Foot, In The Light, Bron-Y-Aur, Down By The Seaside, Night Flight and Boogie with Stu out?

Quality? Sound? Lyrics? Or something else?

:slapface:

You're missing the point because I wouldn't either. I think all that was explained in the opener...

No need to get frustrated. I knew what your point was - I was just commenting that I couldn't imagine making the choice to leave any song off. Sorry I didn't explain myself well.

Archived