What if Physical Graffiti Wasn't A Double Album?

No need to get frustrated. I knew what your point was - I was just commenting that I couldn't imagine making the choice to leave any song off. Sorry I didn't explain myself well.

I hear ya. It's all good. I just think of the idea of this as a brain teaser (not really like "brain teaser", just something that makes you think you know) or something. IDK, just wanted to make sure you knew that.

No need to get frustrated. I knew what your point was - I was just commenting that I couldn't imagine making the choice to leave any song off. Sorry I didn't explain myself well.

I hated having to do that! I made me even happier they are all there. I love this album. I was frusterated too. It was so hard to pick.

running order:

night flight

c pie

t underfoot

kashmir

sick again

wanton song

in the light

down by the sea

bron yr aur

however, physical graffiti works very well as it was intended.

But.... what if PG had to be reduced to a single CD.

What PG tracks would you cram into this mythical 80 minute disc from the tracks origianlly inlcuded on the PG double LP release ? ? ? ?

So would that mean that only 1 song would need to be removed? If so, that makes it much easier! (But still difficult!) For me, I'd probably leave out either Down by the Seaside or Sick Again. There are aspects of both songs I like a lot, but not quite as much as I love all the others. :D

What PG tracks would you cram into this mythical 80 minute disc from the tracks origianlly inlcuded on the PG double LP release ? ? ? ?

Boogie w/Stu or Black Country Woman. My least favourite tracks from PG. Although I can understand that for someone these could be like one of the the PG signature songs. They fit into the album and define it as something... like... physical... graffiti...:). But for me, if I had to choose to leave one, than it would have to be one of those.

Well, this makes it a lot easier! I'd get rid of Down by the Seaside. It's my least favorite on PG.

Well, this makes it a lot easier! I'd get rid of Down by the Seaside. It's my least favorite on PG.

Absolutely disagree with DBTS as a track to leave off ......

I would not touch that track listing from that side of the seocong LP in that set....

I would probably delete "Kashmir".... A Great song Live....

So great.... that the studio version now seems a pale and weak recording, by comparison.

I am serious. :bagoverhead:

Absolutely disagree with DBTS as a track to leave off ......

I would not touch that track listing from that side of the seocong LP in that set....

I would probably delete "Kashmir".... A Great song Live....

So great.... that the studio version now seems a pale and weak recording, by comparison.

I am serious. :bagoverhead:

:o

Well, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you about Kashmir! :) I actually really like the studio version because it's one of the rare Zeppelin tracks that uses an orchestra. I don't think the studio version would have been as good if they hadn't have used an orchestra. The orchestra gives it a larger than life sound and adds to the hypnotic effect of the song.

As Robert says just before BCW, "Nah leave it".

Is it Jimmy saying "Nah leave it"? To who ever (maybe sound recordists) said "We're rolling Jimmy, on one again?" "On one". It sound's like Robert ether chuckling or coughing.

I may be right or may be wrong I wasn't there.

Is it Jimmy saying "Nah leave it"? To who ever (maybe sound recordists) said "We're rolling Jimmy, on one again?" "On one". It sound's like Robert ether chuckling or coughing.

I may be right or may be wrong I wasn't there.

I always thought it was Robert who said "nah, leave it". Sounds like Robert at any rate.

I always thought it was Robert who said "nah, leave it". Sounds like Robert at any rate.

I thought Jimmy murmured something in between and then Robert said "nah, leave it".

Well, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you about Kashmir! :) I actually really like the studio version because it's one of the rare Zeppelin tracks that uses an orchestra. I don't think the studio version would have been as good if they hadn't have used an orchestra. The orchestra gives it a larger than life sound and adds to the hypnotic effect of the song.

That's News to me.... which Orchestra is credited on the album, bty ? ? ?

The symphonic Kashmir: Symphonic Led Zeppelin version is quite impressive. A fullness that deos remind me of very powerful Led Zeppelin perfomances in 1977.

I did not know that. I thought it was JPJ using brass and string patches on his keyboards.

That's News to me.... which Orchestra is credited on the album, bty ? ? ?

The symphonic Kashmir: Symphonic Led Zeppelin version is quite impressive. A fullness that deos remind me of very powerful Led Zeppelin perfomances in 1977.

I knew I remembered reading somewhere about the use of an orchestra for Kashmir, and I found an excerpt from Keith Shadwick's Led Zeppelin book:

"Peter Grant heard an early demo of Kashmir made by Bonham and Page. Years later he recalled: 'It was fantastic. Funny thing is when it was first finished it was decided it was a bit of a dirge. We were in Paris and we played it to Atlantic and we thought it was a dirge, so Richard [Cole] was dispatched to Southall in London to find a Pakistani orchestra. We put the strings on and Jonesy got it all together, and the end result was exactly what was needed. He was a master arranger.' "

Shadwick also mentions the use of strings on Friends:

"The spare, held-note arrangement for a small string section (scored by Jones) is entirely appropriate, emphasising the bittersweet mood of the song and underlying the simple but heartfelt message of the lyrics."

I read in Led Zeppelin 1968-1980 that Houses of the Holy was originally going to be a double album but they didnt have enough time to edit all the tracks. the songs included:

Stuff recorded in may-june 72:

TSRTS

Rain Song

OTHAFA

The Crunge

Dancing Days

D'yer mak'er

No Quarter

The Ocean

Black Country Woman

Walter's Walk

The Rover