Best female rock vocalist

Cool. I had no idea Southern Culture On The Skids made a cover of Hittin' On Nothing. I know you have written a lot about them during the years, but I still haven't got to listen to them yet.

Considering the ground they cover musically (Surf, Rockabilly, Country, Rock, etc.) I think they'd be right up your alley. You can sample some of their tunes via their MySpace site.

Hi ZFF,

For me it has to be Tina Turner, if you regard her as Rock that is, other than that as a Male Show Van-ist i'm at a loss to say.

Regards, Danny

i'm with you. tina on her worst night is as good as the rest, and on her best night could mop the floor with the lot of 'em. (paraphrasing john paul jones) i think janis would agree. see stanley booth's book for an opinion on what janis thought of tina.

tina eating rod stewarts lunch on saturday night live...

does joni mitchell sing rock? i love her anyway...

if you can vote for joni, then emmylou should squeak in for her duet on "love hurts" with gram parsons...

i loves me some maggie bell, too!

i'm with you. tina on her worst night is as good as the rest, and on her best night could mop the floor with the lot of 'em. (paraphrasing john paul jones) i think janis would agree. see stanley booth's book for an opinion on what janis thought of tina.

if you can vote for joni, then emmylou should squeak in for her duet on "love hurts" with gram parsons...

Don't think it matters if Joni isn't rock or not, she has a beautiful voice. Would agree with you on Maggie Bell too :D

I know guys, I left Tina out of my all-time greatest female lists and I should be ashamed of myself. I will remember to include Tina in the future. And lets not forget Joni and Emmylou! Damn, there are more great female artists than I thought! DAMN! ROCK ON!

Beatbo, i just googled Maggie Bell and saw her on utube, she really cuts up rough now, well she would wouldnt she ? She is from Glasgow. :lol:

I aint putting any links on here, if you wanna see for yourself be my guest, but when she sung the Theme tune for Taggert she was what every Rock Chick should sound like, and she was on the Swan Song Record Label as well.

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi ZFF,

For me it has to be Tina Turner, if you regard her as Rock that is, other than that as a Male Show Van-ist i'm at a loss to say.

Regards, Danny

How's it going Danny? Its amazing how you can remember all of the female icons and I don't! Ha Ha! Tina Turner is an all-time great, I can't deny that! I just seemed to have overlooked her since she stepped out of the limelight for many years until 1984 and later with her retirement. Have you heard TINA TURNER'S ACID QUEEN album from 1975? Tina actually does renditions of the classic songs "Under My Thumb," "Let's Spend The Night Together," "Acid Queen," "I Can See For Miles," "WHOLE LOTTA LOVE" and "I've Been Loving You Too Long." Tina's version of "Whole Lotta Love" is arranged and sounds completely different from the original. You have to hear it to believe it. ROCK ON my friend!

Beatbo, i just googled Maggie Bell and saw her on utube, she really cuts up rough now, well she would wouldnt she ? She is from Glasgow. :lol:

I aint putting any links on here, if you wanna see for yourself be my guest, but when she sung the Theme tune for Taggert she was what every Rock Chick should sound like, and she was on the Swan Song Record Label as well.

Kind Regards, Danny

well, i'll post her website...i go there every once in awhile to see what's up:http://www.maggiebell.co.uk/

i would put up the link for stone the crows "penicillin blues" but i'm too lazy to search for it...

And Bonnie Raitt? (Just hinting, 'cos she's my fave. )

I love Bonnie Raitt. One of my favourite voices ever! Surprised no one has mentioned her in this thread yet.

Amy Winehouse, Eva Cassidy, Susan Tedeschi, Etta James, Aretha, Lauryn Hill, some more favourites.

I love Bonnie Raitt. One of my favourite voices ever! Surprised no one has mentioned her in this thread yet.

A couple of nights ago I've watched a Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute concert, that was the first time I've heard Bonnie Raitt. She indeed has a nice voice.

A couple of nights ago I've watched a Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute concert, that was the first time I've heard Bonnie Raitt. She indeed has a nice voice.

She was severely overlooked for years until her Nick of Time album swept the Grammys. The further you go back, the bluesier her music is. The more recent stuff has earned her the "female Jackson Browne" tag (which is not a bad tag to have, by the way). She's definitely one of my favorites. She has also done a whole hell of a lot to be sure the original blues artists she cut her teeth on receive their just due. There's lots to be admired about Bonnie, not the least of which is her ability to play the hell out of a slide guitar. I just love it when she sits in with Little Feat.

She was severely overlooked for years until her Nick of Time album swept the Grammys. The further you go back, the bluesier her music is. The more recent stuff has earned her the "female Jackson Browne" tag (which is not a bad tag to have, by the way). She's definitely one of my favorites. She has also done a whole hell of a lot to be sure the original blues artists she cut her teeth on receive their just due. There's lots to be admired about Bonnie, not the least of which is her ability to play the hell out of a slide guitar. I just love it when she sits in with Little Feat.

I wish she would play non-slide more often! She's quite a good acoustic fingerpicking player. But this is the only time I've heard her play that way:

Love Me Like A Man, 1995:

This is also one of my favourites of hers:

I'm in the Mood, with John Lee Hooker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rinCSb7_frQ&feature=fvw

Her slide solo on the studio version of that is one of my favourite guitar solos ever.

I also love her early stuff. Too bad its not that well know. :( I have the compilation "The Bonnie Raitt Collection" I think its called, with the best of her early works... its great!

I first became aware of her from Nick of Time but then heard some of her early stuff which I much prefer.

Hi all,

Here's a few fav great female vocalist's not listed:

Terri Nunn - (Berlin)

Chrissy Amphlett - (Divinyls)

Karen Lawrence - (L.A. Jets, 1994, Blue By Nature)

Nona Hendryx - (LaBelle, Nona Hendryx)

Laurie Sargent - (Face To Face)

Nena Kerner - (Stripes, Nena)

Gayle McCormick - (Smith)

Darby Mills - (Headpins)

Holly McNarland - (Holly McNarland)

Louise Reny ('Sal') - (One To One, Sal's Birdland, Artificial Joy Club)