Best female rock vocalist

• 1 year later...

If I narrowed it down to just a few favorites (who I've listened to consistently over the years) it would be:

Stevie Nicks

Ann Wilson

Chrissie Hynde

Allison Mosshart

Natalie Merchant (not really ROCK, but...)

There are others I like too, and I'm not counting soul singers here

• 5 months later...

Love the stuff Annie Lennox has done, especially her solo work.

Rickie Lee Jones does some fabulous stuff, check out Vessel of Light. Almost anything from her first two albums are amazing.

Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders. The first LP was hectic and amazing, the second much quieter but still amazing!

Patty Smyth could have been lead singer for Van Halen, oh what that COULD HAVE BEEN! Hats off to EVH for recognizing an amazing possibility.

God there's a ton! Linda Ronstadt, Stevie Nicks, Kate Bush, Ani Difranco...could go on and on!

• 3 weeks later...

Annie Lennox, Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks, and Bonnie Raitt though i'm not sure if Bonnie is Rock and Roll or blues/Folk. Either way she has a beautiful and powerful voice.
If we are just talking about amazing pipes then Patti Labelle is very hard to beat though calling her a rock vocalist is a stretch.

Edited by mknopfler

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, Marmalade_Skies said:

Underrated Female Rock Bands: Epicea, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Hydrogyn, Doro, Nightwish.

Will also 2nd Ann Wilson, Joan Jett, and Stevie Nicks.  I also love Courtney Love's filthy vocals.

None in the first row's singers could even come close to Ann Wilson (all of these over-pompous metal chicks just miss the ingredient called "soul")

Edited by reswati

18 minutes ago, Marmalade_Skies said:

Also, I need to get Nancy Wilson to marry me.  <3

Lol, yeah she is amazing!

Funny everyone on this planet seems to know Epica, I know their bass player for ages.................should I send a "hi there" to Simone on your behalf?

Edited by reswati

15 hours ago, reswati said:

None in the first row's singers could even come close to Ann Wilson (all of these over-pompous metal chicks just miss the ingredient called "soul")

Well said, to me it's easily Ann Wilson. We got a chance to see Heart a few years back, they were just amazing. Her voice on the Zep tracks they did in the encore, as well as The Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" was just magical.

Keeping strictly to the "rock" genre (no pop, country, blues, etc.), so no Patsy Cline, Nina Simone, or Roberta Flack for instance.

In no particular order...

Grace Slick

Janis Joplin

Patti Smith

PJ Harvey

Kate Bush

Elisabeth Fraser

Chrissie Hynde

Joan Armatrading

Joan Jett

Siouxsie Sioux

Ann Wilson