Zeppelin's indoor attendance records

What were the biggest performances, in terms of biggest crowds, that Zeppelin performed in front of?

And, did they ever hold any attendance records for it?

Or, if you don't know what do you think was the size of their biggest crowds?

Please reply, and Peace Out.

What were the biggest performances, in terms of biggest crowds, that Zeppelin performed in front of?

And, did they ever hold any attendance records for it?

Or, if you don't know what do you think was the size of their biggest crowds?

Please reply, and Peace Out.

5/5/73 - Tampa Stadium...56,800...broke The Beatles record set in 1965 at Shea Stadium for largest paying crowd to see rock group

4/30/77 - Pontiac Silverdome...76,279...this was at the time a new world record attendance for a solo indoor attraction, beating the 75,962 The Who attracted there in December 1975

8/4/79 - Knebworth Festival...approx 210,000 in attendance...their largest crowd ever

Is the all time record for a rock concert still the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers at Watkins Glen (600,000)?

Depends if you mean paid or free attendance. The Rolling Stones drew over a millon

fans when they played Rio de Janiero for free a few years ago. Here are some other

big gigs, with the concert to which you refer included:

TOP 10 ROCK CONCERTS OF ALL TIME BY ATTENDANCE:

1) Rod Stewart at Copacabana Beach - 3.5 million people

It was December 31st, 1994 in Rio. It was New Years Eve, and the crowds were going ape shit. Rod Stewart didn’t have to ask “Do You Think I’m Sexy?” The atmosphere was drenched with sexual overtones and “savage” lust took the crowd by storm. Nudity, banging, drinking – you name it… Over 4,381 women gave birth during the concert. 6.5 millions of pounds of trash was left on the city streets.

2) New York Philharmonic in Central Park - 800,000 people

The New York Philharmonic orchestra has a long tradition of offering its music to people worldwide. In New York City's Central Park on July 5th, 1986, nearly a million snobs showed – many wearing ascots on an already humid evening. Gang members who tried to rob members of the crowd were “ignored” by their affluent targets. “We’re just better than them,” said Ian Forbes. "I’m not giving some gutter-trash my Rolex.”

3) Garth Brooks in Central Park - 750,000 people

Who would’ a thunk a country star could pull in such a crowd? On August 7th, 1997 the 10-gallon hat wearing retard Garth Brooks did just that. He took to the stage wearing his brand-new blue jeans pulled up to just inches below his nipples. His 30-gallon ass shook to the beat of such classics as “Friends in Low Places,” “The Dance” and – Billy Joel’s “Shameless.” Joel even took to the stage slurring his way through the song. For and encore Brooks and his bass player lassoed and roped three homeless men from the audience –they then forced the three men to “line-dance” onstage to the crowds wild cheers!

4) Steve Wozniak's 1983 US Festival - 670,000 people

Steve Wozniak is one of the co-founders of Apple Computers. In 1983, he held the “US Festival” from May 28th to May 30th, in Devore, California. This was his way of trying to show his enemy Bill Gates that he was “the real businessman!” All the greatest performers of the era were there such as Flock of Seagulls, Willie Nelson, Motley Crue, Hank Williams Jr., Wall of Voodoo, Scorpions, INXS, U2, Stevie Nicks, Van Halen, and David Bowie. Wozniak needed 800,000 people to break even – meaning, the whole event was a financial disaster. “He lost his pants on that one big time,” said a triumphant Bill Gates. A drunk Vince Neil of Motley crew reportedly drove a Wozniak’s custom gold cart off the stage, breaking Stevie Nicks’ right leg in the process.

5) Summer Jam at Watkins Glen - over 600,132 people

A huge hippy concert called Summer Jam was organized and held on July 28th, 1973 at the Grand Prix auto circuit in Watkins Glen, New York. Although tickets were available for purchase, a dirty hippy named Artie Wilson spread a rumor that “this jam is free!” So that being said, every stinking, bearded, draft-dodging, toothless loser from coast to coast headed to Watkins Glen. The Grateful Dead opened the show by playing for five hours – with two of those hours being a freaking drum solo. The Allman Brothers, and the Band also played for hours on end. There were naked chicks everywhere. Gregg Allman allegedly fathered three children at the show. The best part, however, was when a dirty hippy decided to make a grand entrance by parachuting into the show. He jumped from the plane holding a stick of lit dynamite that he tossed as he jumped. He thought the boom would make people look up. He forgot that the dynamite fell at the same rate of speed – right next to him. It blew him to bits and showered the crowd with “shredded hippy parts!” Good times indeed.

6) Isle of Wight Festival - 600,000 people

In 1970, Woodstock was still fresh on everyone's mind and everybody wanted to jump on the bandwagon. The Isle of Wight Festival is to this day the biggest concert ever held in the United Kingdom. Although tickets were sold for the event, the area where it was held was overlooked by a hill. In short - anyone who wanted to come without paying had a terrific view of the show from this knoll. The promoter came onstage every other hour asking for money and yelling at the kids – and it was all caught on film. Hippy greed had spread overseas… The festival attracted acts like The Who, Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Leonard Cohen, Joan Baez, and Jimi Hendrix - his last performance, as he died shortly after.

7) Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park - 500,000 people

It was on September 19th, 1981 that Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel reunited for the second time after their initial breakup. Never doing things at “half” measure, they performed in New York's Central Park and drew a crowd of 500,000 yuppies and tunnel trash. The front of the stage featured a three foot high wooden lip that obscured the fact that Simon was standing on a foot-tall crate that made him seem “less tiny” next to his towering afro-clad partner Garfunkel. The “sounds of silence” were interrupted by a the sounds of “a gang of wilding youths who were raping a Central Park groundskeeper.” Simon laughed it off, telling the crowd not to worry – “it’ll all work out, man.” They broke into “Feeling Groovy” as an ambulance drove the victim’s lifeless body away, and ironically, across the 57th Street Bridge.

8) Toronto SARS Benefit - 450,000 people

In 2003, a new disease called SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) swept through Asia and the city of Toronto, Canada. The disease took its toll on tourism and hence the Canadian metropolis' economy, so city officials decided to put together a “benefit concert” on July 30th, 2003, to “make people less afraid of Canadians.” The Canadian band Rush played its “2112” album in it’s entirety. “It’s our open love letter to people who suffer from dyslexia,” said Geddy Lee. The crowd went nuts. The Rolling Stones, AC/DC and Justin Timberlake also performed. However, the Canucks didn’t like Timberlake and drunken fans chased him from the stage. Surrounded, the guards looked the other way as three men forced Timberlake to strip and write: “I AM A WIGGER” across his chest. Otherwise, the show was great.

9) Woodstock 1969 - 400,000 people

What do you get when you mix a hundred thousand dirty losers with a puddle of mud? Answer: the stench of two hundred thousand armpits! Now add ten pounds of pot, 20,000 hits of LSD, 6 hippies with cameras, four 100-watt speakers, a stage built by chipmunks, and 30 marginal bands - (excluding "The Who.") Answer: You get "Woodstock!" The greatest scam since Enron or the Moon Landing. The newspapers reported "nearly half a million people in attendance." Who was counting the crowd? Probably the same guy who turned 15,000 knuckleheads into the "Million Man March"? The filmed version opens with fifteen minutes of Richie Havens changing a guitar string! Richie was nice enough to bring his guitar but forgot to bring his teeth - or any talent! Don't believe me? Watch the tape! This eventually segways into another dentally challenged loser named Alvin Lee, who sings a song called, ironically, "I'm Going Home"... for about forty-five minutes. Hey, if I'm going home it only takes about three! Quick: Name one band from Woodstock that hasn't broken into your car and stolen your Blaupunk for crack money! Bottom line: Here's the true test - Reach up and feel your biteplate. Do you have all your teeth? If you do, then you probably weren't at Woodstock. Now, for those of you missing teeth..."WHOSE FUCKING HOUSE DID YOU BREAK INTO SO THAT YOU COULD SNEAK ON THE INTERNET!... As for The Who, it was Pete Townsend who was cool enough to beat a dirty hippie over the head with his guitar during their set. Watch this movie if you don't believe me! You know what? I can't talk about this anymore. I'm starting to feel... dirty.

10) Blockbuster RockFest 1997 - 385,000 people

On June 21st, 1997, the TBA Entertainment Corporation decided that what Fort Worth, Texas needed was a major rock concert to cap off a record spree of prisoner executions. Approximately 385,000 fans bought tickets and showed up to enjoy this music-filled day and to celebrate capital punishment. Held at the Texas Motor Speedway, which is usually reserved for auto racing, the Blockbuster RockFest featured 16 of the hottest performers of the era including No Doubt, Collective Soul, Matchbox Twenty, Bush, Jewel, the Wallflowers, and Counting Crows. Gwen Stefani of “No Doubt” told the rowdy crowd that she had “no doubt that the people on death row deserve to be there. Otherwise, why are they there!” The band dedicated “Don’t Speak” to the “ACLU and any other mother fucking pussy organization!”

Steve, I know that Rod Stewart's concert in Copacabana is on The Guiness Book of Records and I am not trying to say that you're wrong, on the other hand, Rod's concert is known as the biggest ever, but I still think that most people were there at Copacabana beach that night to celebrate reveillon, one of the biggest parties of Brazil. Every year, around 2,5 million people join together on Copacabana beach, on Dec the 31st to see the fireworks and celebrate the New Year. Rod Stewart's concert was just a bonus that year. :)

Steve, I know that Rod Stewart's concert in Copacabana is on The Guiness Book of Records and I am not trying to say that you're wrong, on the other hand, Rod's concert is known as the biggest ever, but I still think that most people were there at Copacabana beach that night to celebrate reveillon, one of the biggest parties of Brazil. Every year, around 2,5 million people join together on Copacabana beach, on Dec the 31st to see the fireworks and celebrate the New Year. Rod Stewart's concert was just a bonus that year. :)

Did you get to go?

Did you get to go?

No, I didn't. I have been to some reveillons at Copacabana beach, but not to that one. But I have been to The Rolling Stones concert at Copacabana Beach, it was great. And it wasn't reveillon, so I can say that most people that have been there were there because of the band. I wouldn't say the same about Rod, though.

No offense to Rod's fans, but I couldn't quite figure how Rod Stewart managed to draw such a crowd. It also sounds as if it was a free concert. Thank you for the clarification, gorgeous.

You're welcome. :)

And maybe I should add that one of the biggest rock festivals was held here in Brazil too, back in 1985. 1.5 million people attended the 9 day festival. It was the first edition of Rock in Rio and the concerts weren't free, they were expensive, I can tell. I was there. :) And I was pregnant. :blink: But I didn't give birth to my baby there. :lol:

And maybe I should add that one of the biggest rock festivals was held here in Brazil too, back in 1985. 1.5 million people attended the 9 day festival. It was the first edition of Rock in Rio and the concerts weren't free, they were expensive, I can tell. I was there. :) And I was pregnant. :blink: But I didn't give birth to my baby there. :lol:

Too bad you weren't there though I've seen Rod Stewart and you didn't miss much ;) But cool you saw the Stones in Copacobana :D

Rock in Rio has had some amazing shows! Glad you didn't give birth there :lol:

Didn't Rush and Iron Maiden play Rio a few years back to 100,000 or so? It was at some huge soccer field.

Too bad you weren't there though I've seen Rod Stewart and you didn't miss much ;) But cool you saw the Stones in Copacobana :D

Rock in Rio has had some amazing shows! Glad you didn't give birth there :lol:

Well, I saw Rod back in 1985, at Rock in Rio. It was raining, he was still in good shape, it was his b-day, he was really happy and the audience was great. Not a bad concert, I tell you. ;)

Rock in Rio was really amazing, it was a great experience and I'm happy I was there. :D

Well, I saw Rod back in 1985, at Rock in Rio. It was raining, he was still in good shape, it was his b-day, he was really happy and the audience was great. Not a bad concert, I tell you. ;)

Rock in Rio was really amazing, it was a great experience and I'm happy I was there. :D

I saw Rod in the 90s and it was pretty cheesy to be honest :lol:

I saw Rod in the 90s and it was pretty cheesy to be honest :lol:

:lol: I believe you!

Rush played at Maracana stadium, some years ago. I wasn't there, but the DVD of this concert is amazing, even for people who aren't great fans, like me. I saw iron Maiden in Rock in Rio, back in 1985, I believe it was the first concert they ever made here. After that Iron Maiden has been countless times to Brazil, it looks like whenever they don't have better to do they come here. :blink: Really, they might love it here. :blink:

:lol: I believe you!

Rush played at Maracana stadium, some years ago. I wasn't there, but the DVD of this concert is amazing, even for people who aren't great fans, like me. I saw iron Maiden in Rock in Rio, back in 1985, I believe it was the first concert they ever made here. After that Iron Maiden has been countless times to Brazil, it looks like whenever they don't have better to do they come here. :blink: Really, they might love it here. :blink:

Rush is one of those bands I feel like I'm clueless because I just never took to them, but I read people talking of them and I wish I got it. I've never seen Iron Maiden either. Sounds like they must like playing there :D Didn't you see Robert or Robert/Jimmy at Rock n Rio?

I'm not into Rush either. But their DVD in Rio is really good. Iron Maiden has got LOTS of fans here, don't ask me why. :blink:

Robert and Page/Plant didn't play Rock in Rio, it was another Festival, called Hollywood Rock (nothing to do with Hollywood, LA, Hollywood is a very popular cigarette here). Hollywood Rock took place both in Sao Paulo and Rio, and I went to all their concerts, here and in Rio too. :D

I'm not into Rush either. But their DVD in Rio is really good. Iron Maiden has got LOTS of fans here, don't ask me why. :blink:

Robert and Page/Plant didn't play Rock in Rio, it was another Festival, called Hollywood Rock (nothing to do with Hollywood, LA, Hollywood is a very popular cigarette here). Hollywood Rock took place both in Sao Paulo and Rio, and I went to all their concerts, here and in Rio too. :D

Oh for some reason I thought it was Rock and Rio but I'm happy you saw all their concerts :D

Ohhh that's the festival on which the Sao Paulo concert always fail to circulate.....

While you're figuring it out--too bad Rod Stewart's solo shows became cheesy because I saw him with the Faces seven or eight times, and every show was amazing--one of the best live bands ever IMO. But that was back in the 70s.

Sorry, off-topic. :ph34r:

I was talking about bootlegs. From that Hollywood festival, bootlegs from Sao Paulo are very, very rare.

OK, now I get it. :) And you're right, it's really difficult to get bootlegs from that concert, I tried hard to, but I never got any. :( And it's a pity because the concert was amazing, I'd love to have a boot of it. Besides it was also filmed, a DVD of it would be also great. Maybe someday, who knows?

And Mangani....sorry, again! :slapface:

Archived