Zeppelin's indoor attendance records

Aqua, you saw some GREAT concerts, I'm soooooo jealous.

And I'm the one to blame about this thread being off-topic. :slapface: Sorry!

Me too - double sorry :D

Considering the thread was really complete with the second post (thanks again, you are truely a fount of knowledge on this site SAJ!) I think it was me that threw things "off-topic" (as if that's such a bad thing).

And Mangani....sorry, again! :slapface:

No it's ok. I wasn't meaning things going off topic. I don't mind that. I was just pointing out that the question was about indoor concerts noit outdoor concerts. I'd seriously like to know the answer.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Zeppelin broke some indoor concert records in places like Germany (France too??) in the early 1970s but I don't know details.

No worries. :)

No it's ok. I wasn't meaning things going off topic. I don't mind that. I was just pointing out that the question was about indoor concerts noit outdoor concerts. I'd seriously like to know the answer.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Zeppelin broke some indoor concert records in places like Germany (France too??) in the early 1970s but I don't know details.

No worries. :)

The '77 Silverdome concert was their largest indoor audience and it set a world record at the time. They played too few dates in France to set world records there while all of their German concerts were held in average-sized venues.

8/4/79 - Knebworth Festival...approx 210,000 in attendance...their largest crowd ever

Have you read Mick Wall's When Giants Walked The Earth, Steve? There's a bit about Knebworth that claims there was only 104,000 people at the first Knebworth show and a rather pathetic 40,000 at the second show. I think Peter Grant tried to make out more people attended than they actually did. Different sources seem to say different things though. You seem to be well informed, is 210,000 the actual attendance?

Have you read Mick Wall's When Giants Walked The Earth, Steve? There's a bit about Knebworth that claims there was only 104,000 people at the first Knebworth show and a rather pathetic 40,000 at the second show. I think Peter Grant tried to make out more people attended than they actually did. Different sources seem to say different things though. You seem to be well informed, is 210,000 the actual attendance?

210,000 would be an approximation based upon overhead shots of the festival site. I can post some quotes from Peter Grant to substantiate what he felt to be the truth.

There are a few here who were in attendance who may refute a paltry 40,000 at

the second date. The problem with anything Mick Wall writes about Led Zeppelin in

recent years is that he has an axe to grind with Jimmy, affecting his objectivity.

Didn't Peter Grant get in all sorts of professionals to verify the attendance estimate, based on those overhead shots, after skepticism in some quarters about the numbers?

(I didn't think Mick Wall had an axe to grind with Jimmy so much as he thinks Jimmy now has an axe to grind with him! :D )

While you're figuring it out--too bad Rod Stewart's solo shows became cheesy because I saw him with the Faces seven or eight times, and every show was amazing--one of the best live bands ever IMO. But that was back in the 70s.

Sorry, off-topic. :ph34r:

Aqua, I think that "Rod The Mod" kind-a took a left turn in Albuquerque back in the late 70's and didn't hit the brake's fast enough! It was like ,"Tonight's the Night" was OK. A few other song's like "If you think I'm Sexy" and "Hot Leg's" are not to bad but, what happened besides that?

The '77 Silverdome concert was their largest indoor audience and it set a world record at the time. They played too few dates in France to set world records there while all of their German concerts were held in average-sized venues.

Many European countries didn't have huge indoor arenas of the same size as in America.....but that doesn't mean they didn't break records for that particular country or city at that particular time. I was meaning local records, not world records.

I found the source I was alluding to before.

According to:

Led Zeppelin. A Visual Documentary by Paul Kendall.

""July 1970

The only chance for the public to see Led Zeppelin during this month was a fleeting visit to Germany.

9th Berlin

10th Essen

11th Frankfurt

Zeppelin broke attendance records in all three cities, including the record for the largest-ever audience for a single rock group in Germany when 11,000 fans crowded into Frankfurt Festhalle""

Whole Lotta Love was a massive hit in the charts in Germany and was number one for seven weeks from April 1970. This probably helped them to break those attendance records in Germany in July 1970.

I'm sure I have read of other countries where Zeppelin broke attendance records but I can't locate the source right now.

* Another source states Zeppelin played Dusseldorf on the 9th and Berlin on the 12th. It does repeat the 11,000 record stat at Frankfurt on the 11th though.

Wow I didn't know Zeppelin broke so many attendance records in so many countries and cities, and I also didn't know about the millions people that attended the biggest rock concerts ever.

Thanks for replying, man

Also since Zeppelin have played in many different countries, have they ever played in Mexico, man?

Cuase Mexico touches the American border, and I know that they have played countless gigs in America, but have they ever crossed south

Just curious, because I've been to Mexico before and have family there

(P.S. I didn't go during the swine flu season)

Wow, thanks for all the info. I've read about their world record attendances at the time, but didn't know about all the individual/local ones. I guess the 4 "musical" horsemen rode into cities and shattered local attendance records and wrecked havoc with their after show parties.

I guess they were truly gods of rock. :D

Edited for spelling....again

Cuase Mexico touches the American border, and I know that they have played countless gigs in America, but have they ever crossed south

Just curious, because I've been to Mexico before and have family there

(P.S. I didn't go during the swine flu season)

They never played Mexico nor in South America which is too bad since they can really pack them in those countries

Aqua, I think that "Rod The Mod" kind-a took a left turn in Albuquerque back in the late 70's and didn't hit the brake's fast enough! It was like ,"Tonight's the Night" was OK. A few other song's like "If you think I'm Sexy" and "Hot Leg's" are not to bad but, what happened besides that?

You could be right--as soonas he left the Faces he started to become a parody of himself. I quite like Tonight's the Night, but can't stand the other two songs!

You could be right--as soonas he left the Faces he started to become a parody of himself. I quite like Tonight's the Night, but can't stand the other two songs!

Ditto - and don't get me started on the videos for them :blink:

Also since Zeppelin have played in many different countries, have they ever played in Mexico, man?

No, however Jimmy Page & Robert Plant performed two concerts at the Palacio de los Deportes in Mexico City, on Sept 23 & 24 1995.

I love Hot Legs. That's got some great dirty rock guitar in it and it's not too poppy at all...unlike a lot of Rod's other solo stuff. Hot Legs is a damn good song. :)

They never played Mexico nor in South America which is too bad since they can really pack them in those countries

I agree with you, those countries could have really used some introduction to new music, instead of the same old songs those countries bands always play

In Mexico various artists don't make their own music, but rather make different versions from someone that in turn did the same thing from someone else.

Everytime I hear Spanish music, it is always the same old songs repeated over and over again by different artists

Zeppelin is a one of a kind band and no one could really mimic their style

Archived