Elephant - The White Stripes

Grace - Jeff Buckley

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

Ten - Pearl Jam

Superunknown - Soundgarden

Who's Next - The Who

Led Zeppelin has to be I. II is a good argument but I'm picking I

Jimi Hendrix-Axis Bold as Love

Black Sabbath-I guess I'll pick Paranoid but any of the first 5 will do.

Aerosmith-Aerosmith

AC/DC-Back in Black

Nazarath-Hair of the Dog

The Who-Tommy

ZZ Top-Tres Hombres

Nirvana-Unplugged from NY

Rolling Stones-Sticky Fingers

I had the pleasure of seeing Mother's Finest many, many times here in NC as they were from just down the road in Hotlanter. I've seen a lot of concerts in my time but those MF shows are some of the very best I've ever seen, bar none. I haven't seen them since the 80s but MF is still actively touring and are immensely popular overseas.

http://mothersfinest.com

I caught Foghat in their prime back when Foghat Live was new. They played Dorton Arena in Raleigh with Derringer (first time I saw wireless guitars) and The Outlaws. The Outlaws were virtually unknown at the time but for whatever reason, closed the show. I only saw Foghat one other time and it was during their New Wave phase. Still good, just not the boogie-woogie era Foghat I love the best. Despite the loss of Lonesome Dave and Rod Price Foghat is still touring today. To my ears they can never be Foghat without Lonesome Dave.

I never have seen J. Geils but I highly recommend Peter Wolf's Sleepless album in the event that you have never heard it. It never got a lot of publicity and/or airplay but it is definitely one of my favorite records of the last 10 years or so. He's still got it. I guess it doesn't hurt that Mick and Keith also guest star.

Black Sabath - Paranoid

Deep Purple - In Rock

Hendrix - Are you experienced?

Led Zeppelin IV :thumbsup:

Nirvana - Nevermind

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Rolling Stones - Stick Fingers

Sepultura - Roots

Uriah Heep - Abominog

Who - Tommy

Lateralus- Tool

Led Zeppelin IV- Led Zeppelin

Vs. - Pearl Jam

Rage Against The Machine- Rage Against The Machine

Gish- Smashing Pumpkins

Cochise- Audioslave

Rated R- Queens of The Stone Age

White Blood Cells- The White Stripes

In Utero- Nirvana

Superunknown- Soundgarden

Edit: added Tool

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

Machine Head - Deep Purple

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Ten - Pearl Jam

Rocks - Aerosmith

Master of Puppets - Metallica (not 'Hard Rock' per se, but an essential album nonetheless)

Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth

Danzig - Danzig

Cream - Wheels of Fire

The Stooges - The Stooges

Edit: This is the eleventh but what the hell, imo Robin Trower's album "Bridge of Sighs" is ESSENTIAL.

That list will probably be completely different in a couple of weeks.

No Tool!! Shame on you! ;)

Here's my list:

Tool - Aenima

Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won

pearl jam - Vs.

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

Jimi Hendrix - Live at Woodstock

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Boston - Boston

Queen - A Night at the Opera

B)

For everyone who picked TEN by Pearl Jam, am I alone in thinking that the best version of Evenflow is the single one? It can be found on the greatest hits comp as well.

Also, how many of you are still fans? I think that they have aged well, much better than R.E.M. IMO.

For everyone who picked TEN by Pearl Jam, am I alone in thinking that the best version of Evenflow is the single one? It can be found on the greatest hits comp as well.

Also, how many of you are still fans? I think that they have aged well, much better than R.E.M. IMO.

Pearl Jam thread

;)

I agree but R.E.M. was dealt a deathly blow by the departure of drummer Bill Berry in 1997 from which they've never quite recovered. That may change in the new year with the release of a new album, most of which was debuted this past summer in Dublin as part of their "working rehearsals". If nothing else, it's definitely a return to their guitar-oriented sound of yore, at least as evidenced by the recordings that have surfaced as well as the clips that have been uploaded to YouTube from the performances.

rem-in-dublin.jpg

BARF !!!!!!

Boston may be a victim of overplay by classic rock radio but their debut was considered very innovative for the time and the production values even inspired future artists such as Smashing Pumpkins. They may be one of the most hated artists in Classic Rock land but even I'm not so quick to dismiss them (or Kansas, Styx, REO, etc.)

I agree but R.E.M. was dealt a deathly blow by the departure of drummer Bill Berry in 1997 from which they've never quite recovered. That may change in the new year with the release of a new album, most of which was debuted this past summer in Dublin as part of their "working rehearsals". If nothing else, it's definitely a return to their guitar-oriented sound of yore, at least as evidenced by the recordings that have surfaced as well as the clips that have been uploaded to YouTube from the performances.

rem-in-dublin.jpg

Hmm, let's hope so.

I never got used to that 'drum-machine' thing they opted for afterwards. Makes them sound like housewives-music.

f6c792c008a0d4211f98a010._AA240_.L.jpg

That was unexpected! I'm happy to see The Four Horsmen on your list Jahfin (or anybody's list for that matter). They never got the attention they so much deserved.

Here's my list, in no particular order:

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum

MC5 - Back in the U.S.A.

Grand Funk Railroad - Grand Funk

Thin Lizzy - Fighting

Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

Moxy - Moxy

Hellacopters - High Visibility

Jeff Beck Group - Truth

The Four Horsemen - Nobody Said It Was Easy

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

zeppelin the song remain the same

the doors alive she cried

sabbath we sold our souls for rock-n-roll

joe satriani surfing with the alien

ted nugent cat scratch fever

guns & roses appetite for destruction

pink floyd animals

bush sixteen stone

van halen mean street

the kinks one for the road

ps i know it's not rock but it is a very essential album bob marley confrontation

Next round:

Led Zeppelin III

Rush - 2112

Jeff Beck group - truth

Queen - A Night at the Opera

Deep Purple - Fireball

Black Sabbath - Vol IV

Grand Funk Railroad - Grand Funk

Sepultura - Chaos AD

AC/DC - Highway to hell

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Hmm, let's hope so.

I never got used to that 'drum-machine' thing they opted for afterwards. Makes them sound like housewives-music.

The post Berry songs always came off much better live. I think this is another thing that finally dawned on them. Thus, the return to a more stripped down approach to the songs and the Dublin rehearsals.

Archived