Drive-By Truckers Exit New West Records

Jahfin

From CountryStandardTime.com:

The Drive-By Truckers are no longer on New West Records. The band will sign with a new, existing label, but exactly who that will be was not disclosed by the band's publicist.

New West will release a DVD and B-side rarities disc, apparently closing out the contract between the band and label.

The DBT most recently released "Brighter Than Creation's Dark" last year. Lead singer Patterson Hood is readying a solo CD for release in June.

Interesting - I wonder what happened and where they are going.

I'm not sure exactly what happened but various members have been very vocal about their dissatisfaction with the label for quite some time now, particularly Patterson in an interview he did with Flagpole magazine a couple of years ago. In fact, he was so angry at the time the interview was conducted he made some comments he later had to clarify. In the years since he has penned a song directed at New West called Assholes. Also, during their appearance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien last year both Cooley and Shonna had FNW (Fuck New West?) written on their respective instruments. In that Flagpole interview Patterson appeared to be unhappy with how New West handled his desire to release his second solo record (which is being released by Ruth Street). The same is true of former member Jason Isbell, who's first solo album (Sirens of the Ditch) was held up by New West for years.

dbt-fnw.jpg

Drive-By Truckers on Late Night with Conan O'Brien

Jason%20Isbell.jpg

Image posted on Jason Isbell's MySpace site the night he and the Drive-By Truckers went their separate ways. It is still unclear as to what was behind the split but part of it seems to be based on the long delayed release of his debut solo record, Sirens of the Ditch

Shame to hear bad reports on an Indie label when so many are hanging by a thread as it is. Have you heard any other artists on New West that have expressed dissatisfaction?

Jon Dee Graham was dropped by them a few years ago. While I'm sure he wasn't happy about that, I believe it was chalked up to poor sales.

Archived