What Made You Un-Happy Today ?

The Rover

i hear you, ally.

it's 3.40 am, and i've been tossing and turning since 10.30. got a bit of sleep here and there, but got up to take a pain killer. so tired....

Well, I hear you too :yesnod: . With you taking the anti inflamator meds, your doc probably advised you to use heat to promote blood flow to the area .If I might suggest something, keep using the heat but try using ice packs or a bag of frozen peas on your back for about 15min before you hit the hay. I found it to be quite helpful :)

Well, I hear you too :yesnod: . With you taking the anti inflamator meds, your doc probably advised you to use heat to promote blood flow to the area .If I might suggest something, keep using the heat but try using ice packs or a bag of frozen peas on your back for about 15min before you hit the hay. I found it to be quite helpful :)

brrrrrrrrr it's winter here ..... i'll try and be brave ..... :)

brrrrrrrrr it's winter here ..... i'll try and be brave ..... :)

YOU'VE GOT AN HUBBY TO KEEP YOU WARM................OTHERWISE I MIGHT HAVE BEEN TEMPTED TO EMIGRATE TO AUSTRALIA FROM THE UK

AUSTRALIA NOW SELLS FRUIT STONE'S FOR GRAVEL TO THE UK .....................THEY CALL IT POMEGRANATE

I've just had enough of this, my boss slags me off in Friday (for no reason except he is in one of his physco moods) telling me that he has no money to pay me and there is only 2 days of work I can do (due to lack of cash and that shithole of a workplace going down quicker than the Titanic)

I call in this morning telling him i'll not be coming in (was up during the night ill) and the bastard hangs up on me while I'm still explaining my reason!!

Sick, sick, sick of this *scream!!!*

And by the way, there IS something wrong with him, as he told me before Christmas the reason why he keeps a small photo beside the cutting machine he works on, is that when he looks at it, it gives him the reason NOT to hang himself from the rafters and leave it to me to "deal with it" once I came in and see him swinging....I couldn't believe my ears when he said that..so so wrong!!!

You don't say which country you are in. If you are In the UK, I can give you help with employment law. Irrespective of which country you are in, you seem to me to have legal redress here. Keep a diary of the date on which each incident of harassment happened; the names of any witnesses present and any other pertinent details. It looks to me that he is trying to get you to leave your job so that he doesn't have to pay you redundancy. Don't leave - I know every day must be agony, but if you take the attitude that it will not go on forever, the main thing then will be to get everything that is due to you.

I've just had enough of this, my boss slags me off in Friday (for no reason except he is in one of his physco moods) telling me that he has no money to pay me and there is only 2 days of work I can do (due to lack of cash and that shithole of a workplace going down quicker than the Titanic)
I call in this morning telling him i'll not be coming in (was up during the night ill) and the bastard hangs up on me while I'm still explaining my reason!!
Sick, sick, sick of this *scream!!!*

And by the way, there IS something wrong with him, as he told me before Christmas the reason why he keeps a small photo beside the cutting machine he works on, is that when he looks at it, it gives him the reason NOT to hang himself from the rafters and leave it to me to "deal with it" once I came in and see him swinging....I couldn't believe my ears when he said that..so so wrong!!!

Kenog, I live in Northern Ireland. I am currently working for a small (and very quickly sinking without a trace) family outfit that makes picture frames. I have never been given a payslip nor have been told of what tax I have paid (I have been paid cash in hand and I have spoken about this only to be fobbed off with excuses)

It was originally run by the father, who has sense retired and the business has been passed onto the son (the one I'm having problems with)

To make matters worse I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which I was diagnosed 4 and a half years ago, I NOT getting any benefits or help for that and I know when I'm finally kicked out, the chance if me finding other employment well lets just say that I have more of a chance seeing pigs fly.

I still live at home with the parents due to circumstances beyond my control, and the constent nastiness/boss bitching on at me for no reason...I'm at my wits end

Edited by SozoZoso

SozoZoso,

Your problem is complex, and at the end of the day, you are going to need advice from one of the relevant agencies. I am urging you to get in touch with the Citizens Advice Bureau which has many branches in Northern Ireland. They will take up your case on your behalf, and also advise you on benefits. I am giving you the link here; ask for an appointment with one of their advisors who deals with employment issues. The branches and contact details are listed here. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland.htm

Citizens Advice Northern Ireland offers free, confidential, impartial and independent advice from over 140 locations. Our advice helps people resolve their problems with debt, benefits, employment, housing, discrimination, and many more issues. It is available to everyone.
In order to get benefits for your health condition, you would have to see your GP and explain to them that you believe you should be receiving benefits for what is a debilitating condition which impacts on your ability to do work. If you were able to get put onto a health benefit, you would be able to qualify for housing benefit etc. The CAB would be able to give you the full list of what you would qualify for.
The terms and conditions of your employment may be contained within a staff handbook. However, two months after employment commences you are entitled to a written statement of particulars of employment. These particulars should set out the following:-

• Your name and the name of your employer

• The date when your employer started

• Your rate of pay, when you will be paid, and how the pay has been calculated. This must be at least the minimum wage. Sick pay entitlement should also be included.

• Your hours of work and holiday entitlement including public holidays. Both of these must provide the maximum/minimum under the Working Time Regulations.

• The title and description of your job and hours of work

• Your notice period

• The employer's disciplinary and grievance procedure. (This is now optional these days)

Even if you have not received a written contract of employment from your employer, as soon as you accept a job, the basic terms of offer and acceptance in contract law will apply.
You must also be told whether the employment is permanent or fixed term. Even if it is a fixed term contract, the required notice is still due from the employer.

With regard to the business having moved from the father to the son, you are covered by the Employment Protection (Consolidation) Act 1978 Schedule 13 and th Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 1981. Where there is a transfer to a new employer, your continuity of employment is not broken.

Regarding you employer's potential insolvency, if your employer goes bankrupt and cannot pay wages, the state will make up at least part of the pay. You can claim up for the amount you have lost per week (up to a certain limit) for up to eight weeks. As well as basic wages, you can claim any holiday pay, pension or notice up to a maximum of 6 weeks. You would have to apply to the employer's representative, usually the liquidator or receiver.

Remuneration

You are covered by the Wages Act 1986, consolidated by the Employment Rights Act 1996 and the National Minimum Wage Act 1998
This nastiness which you are experiencing from your employer may be construed as what is known in law as 'constructive dismissal'. This is when the employees circumstances become so difficult that they have no option but to leave. It can be difficult to prove.
Overall, your employer is in the proverbial dog poo for not paying you at present, and not registering you for tax and national insurance contributions. The Inland Revenue and Department of Social Security require to know if you are employed. If you were thus registered, you would surely be entitled to Working Tax Credit.
As I have said at the beginning, you must see the CAB regarding this. Their advisor will sit down with you and go through the detail. I suggest that you type up your employment history with this crowd, and as I said to you in my earlier post, try to remember all the antics that this guy has been trying e.g. the details of the nastiness etc. Put this all down in writing, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. If the CAB advisor reckons you have a case, they usually have a duty solicitor available. Alternatively, the CAB may pay for an employment solicitor to take it on.
For further advice on tax credits and benefits phone 0845 607 6078
The Low Pay Unit 020 7721 0450
The TUC Know Your Rights Line 0870 600 4882
www.worksmart.org.uk
The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) promotes good workplace relations www.acas.org.uk
The Employment Tribunal Service www.justice.gov.uk 0845 795 9775
If things get worse at work (and at the moment, I can't see how it could get any worse) again, see your GP, and get signed off for stress. If you tell your GP that your employer is trying to harrass you out of your job because they appear to be in a financial mess, I am sure your medic will be sympathetic. Up to seven days off sick, you don't need a sick note – you simply self-certificate with your employer. So, if you wanted to go down this route, tell your GP that you want at least two weeks off work. Then when the two weeks is up, go back and get another two weeks worth.

MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE C.A.B. - DON'T GO IT ALONE – THEY WILL KEEP YOU RIGHT

Please remember that if matters went to an Employment Tribunal, they accept hearsay in evidence, they will listen and take account of your experience. They don't require the same strict level of evidence as in other courts, they are much more informal in procedure as well.

Kenog, I live in Northern Ireland. I am currently working for a small (and very quickly sinking without a trace) family outfit that makes picture frames. I have never been given a payslip nor have been told of what tax I have paid (I have been paid cash in hand and I have spoken about this only to be fobbed off with excuses)
It was originally run by the father, who has sense retired and the business has been passed onto the son (the one I'm having problems with)
To make matters worse I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which I was diagnosed 4 and a half years ago, I NOT getting any benefits or help for that and I know when I'm finally kicked out, the chance if me finding other employment well lets just say that I have more of a chance seeing pigs fly.
I still live at home with the parents due to circumstances beyond my control, and the constent nastiness/boss bitching on at me for no reason...I'm at my wits end

Edited by kenog

Great advice Kenog. You can also take them to court for "constructive dismissal" should it come to that. Employees have a lot of rights these days, thank goodness. Keep a diary and if things take a turn for the worse, you will have a detailed account of how you've been treated.

Best wishes to you S

Hi Chilllumpuffer,

Thanks very much for that. I did, in fact, mention constructive dismissal in my initial post, but I wrote so much that it may have gone unnoticed, so I have now highlighted it. I think that this lady has a great case on so many grounds, as long as she picks up the phone to the CAB and probably her doctor as well, and does something about it. It would not get her any further forward if she doesn't take action.

Great advice Kenog. You can also take them to court for "constructive dismissal" should it come to that. Employees have a lot of rights these days, thank goodness. Keep a diary and if things take a turn for the worse, you will have a detailed account of how you've been treated.

Best wishes to you S

Hi Chilllumpuffer,

Thanks very much for that. I did, in fact, mention constructive dismissal in my initial post, but I wrote so much that it may have gone unnoticed, so I have now highlighted it. I think that this lady has a great case on so many grounds, as long as she picks up the phone to the CAB and probably her doctor as well, and does something about it. It would not get her any further forward if she doesn't take action.

Yes I see it now. Thanks for that. :slapface:

19 firefighters killed fighting a fire in Arizona.

Oh my. I'm in a news-blackout zone, so I haven't heard anything about this. I am afraid it's been very dry over the winter in LA, too, so we're probably in for a nervous summer/fire season.

Oh my. I'm in a news-blackout zone, so I haven't heard anything about this. I am afraid it's been very dry over the winter in LA, too, so we're probably in for a nervous summer/fire season.

It's terrible. My husband can't even talk about it. One of the firefighters he works with has a nephew who left SATURDAY (the day before this happened).

Life is short.

It's terrible. My husband can't even talk about it. One of the firefighters he works with has a nephew who flies around the country with a similar unit left Arizona SATURDAY (the day before this happened).

Life is short.

Edited for spelling and content.

Whoops, meant to click Edit not Quote. Yikes.

Edited by planted

I am not sure if this should be in the "Happy" thread but it's Bernies last day with us. She has been basking in the glorious summer weather we are having and she is loving it. The colour she is now showing is tremendous and I have no doubt that in a week or so we will be sharing her fruits with chums.

Her sister is still lagging behind but again with this sun she is slowly catching up. I will post a picture later.

• 3 weeks later...