What Made You Un-Happy Today ?

The Rover

Thanks Ally. She worked really hard. Days away in Scotland, setting up stores all over the country. She was out of the house by 7 am and not back until 7pm. Never off ill. It's not as if the employers were short of a bob or two. Very very wealthy people. It just would have been nice for them to ask them to go to head office, explain the situation, say a big thanks. I mean we are not money people. We couldn't give a flying fuck if they said here's 10 grand but to do it on the phone is really hard for her to get her head round.

But hey lets be positive? We are very head strong people. We will turn this into a success whatever happens. Still she still has me :D

Any news on the surgery man?

Thanks Ally. She worked really hard. Days away in Scotland, setting up stores all over the country. She was out of the house by 7 am and not back until 7pm. Never off ill. It's not as if the employers were short of a bob or two. Very very wealthy people. It just would have been nice for them to ask them to go to head office, explain the situation, say a big thanks. I mean we are not money people. We couldn't give a flying fuck if they said here's 10 grand but to do it on the phone is really hard for her to get her head round.

But hey lets be positive? We are very head strong people. We will turn this into a success whatever happens. Still she still has me :D

Any news on the surgery man?

I admire your thinking CP and fully understand what your saying. Mrs Ally and I are much the same . Feck Em' I say and come what may. They may take our jobs but there's no way in hell they get our dignity ;)

No official date on surgery yet but the time frame is for mid to late March. They didn't say what year though :lol:

Me and Mrs CP are soul mates. We have been together for 28 years. Travelled the world, lived in all sorts of flats,houses and our beloved Caravan in the hills. We are very rarely apart and miss each other when we are. Yesterday she got the news that we have been dreading for a few months. The compnay she has worked for for 20 years has decided to cease trading. A (potential) new company has (maybe) bought the going concern and she has been effectively transferred to the new company. Today she has got to tell all her staff that they are being made redundant. She was very upset about this and it is not a good time. I suppose in a way it will be a new challange but we suspect that the state retail is in in this country in won't be long before she too will face the bullit.

Fortunatley we own our house and have no mortgage but it is still a very worrying time. It seems to us there is no thanks for the service you have given 20 odd years of your life to. She was told by phone and it was basically "firm has got a potential buyer and you will now be working for them" - potential? If this buyer decides not to proceed she will be out of a job.

Why are people treated this way? Makes no sense to me but I suppose that is the way the world is. So not happy today

Keep your chin up mate, the sun will rise tomorrow. Come up with a plan and run with it!

Me and Mrs CP are soul mates. We have been together for 28 years. Travelled the world, lived in all sorts of flats,houses and our beloved Caravan in the hills. We are very rarely apart and miss each other when we are. Yesterday she got the news that we have been dreading for a few months. The compnay she has worked for for 20 years has decided to cease trading. A (potential) new company has (maybe) bought the going concern and she has been effectively transferred to the new company. Today she has got to tell all her staff that they are being made redundant. She was very upset about this and it is not a good time. I suppose in a way it will be a new challange but we suspect that the state retail is in in this country in won't be long before she too will face the bullit.

Fortunatley we own our house and have no mortgage but it is still a very worrying time. It seems to us there is no thanks for the service you have given 20 odd years of your life to. She was told by phone and it was basically "firm has got a potential buyer and you will now be working for them" - potential? If this buyer decides not to proceed she will be out of a job.

Why are people treated this way? Makes no sense to me but I suppose that is the way the world is. So not happy today

Sorry to hear this news about you and Mrs. CP. I hope it works out and leads to a positive direction for you both. Yes, the corporate world wants you to put your heart into your job, while they remain heartless....

It's horrible how companies treat faithful workers nowadays. I hope your wife gets that job and everything works out for the best. :peace:

CP, i'm in retail also, and i can FULLY relate to all this. the bastard company i work for don't give a rats about their staff. our store manager was sent packing just the other week, he had been with them about 40 years. we are treated like dirt. they love to give out this caring wholesome look to the public by donating to hospitals etc, but when it comes to us? i hate going to work every day, and if i could afford it, i would leave asap. i buy lottery tickets every week ....

i hope things turn out well for you two, mrs cp deserves better.

Hey CP, that news certainly blows and I feel sorry for the position Mrs. CP has been put in...damn corporate scalawags. :mad:

But one trait about the CPs that has always shined through to me is your positivity and ability to take life's bumps and grinds as they come with a devil-may-care flair. You'll get through this...I just know it...and come through with flying colours.

As they say, when one door closes, another one opens. The CPs have my admiration and support and I wish you and the Missus all the best.

As for her having to do the dirty work of telling everyone they've been made redundant, that is a dirty and soul-sucking task, and like most such unpleasant things in life, it is best to confront it and get it over with. But, depending on how many workers she has to tell the bad news, I would suggest she not try to do it all in one day. Otherwise she'll be an emotional wreck by the time she comes home and she'll need a bong-hit the size of Big Ben to recuperate. It's best if she spreads it out...in fact, tell her to watch "Up in the Air"; that's a good demonstration of good/bad ways of telling someone they've lost their job.

As someone above said, the contract between employer and worker that used to be in place has been shredded. There is no loyalty to workers anymore. It's all about dollars and cents.

Edited by Strider

As for her having to do the dirty work of telling everyone they've been made redundant, that is a dirty and soul-sucking task, and like most such unpleasant things in life, it is best to confront it and get it over with. But, depending on how many workers she has to tell the bad news, I would suggest she not try to do it all in one day. Otherwise she'll be an emotional wreck by the time she comes home and she'll need a bong-hit the size of Big Ben to recuperate. It's best if she spreads it out...in fact, tell her to watch "Up in the Air"; that's a good demonstration of good/bad ways of telling someone they've lost their job.

Well I did laugh out loud at that one!! What a mental image I have of that right now!

Well that just sucks the big one CP! As most likely everyone here has some stories of corporate ignorance, so do I, and I bet they have a lot of similarities. I work for a family owned company, however, I'm but one of several thousand employees working for one of their hundreds of companies. Just another number.

Sounds like your chin is already up mate, keep it there. Best to you and Mrs. CP.

Edited by MINI_Zoso

All is well in CP land guys. Looks increasingly likely that it is reduncency. It does mean a 5 figure pay out, but that's hardly the point. One thing about Mrs CP, she is very experienced in what she does. Good managers are hard to come by and if all goes to plan we intend to have the summer playing golf and then she will get something else. As my good friend Strider says: When one door closes, another opens.

I have thanked you all in the Happy Thread but for now: :thanku:

PS we did have a crafty bifta last evening with a few drinks and it made is feel a tad lighter

PS we did have a crafty bifta last evening with a few drinks and it made is feel a tad lighter

And what pray tell is a "crafty bifta"? or do I really want to know? .... hahaha

That really sucks about Mrs Puffer. I hope all goes well and she gets through the stressful times ahead.

You two seem to have a beautiful and enviable relationship and love together, so i'm sure whatever happens, you'll ride it through together.

If worse comes to worst, you can both always pop down under and do some Aussie peach picking again.

Not far from me is Araluan peaches and they hire pickers every season. You can come stay with me for a while and then go face the summer heat and huntsman spiders out there :o:P:lol:

But never invite people to your beautiful country - we might take you up on it :o

I'd love it .... and so would you both. Sun, warmth, beaches, watch the whales playing from my front balcony, fresh vegie garden ..... and I love good food and a glass or two or so of wine.

Perfect match :lol:

Thanks Cat. I do indeed and I will endevour to have a great time. It's not that bad today sunny, a bit windy but all in all not bad for January. My camera is coming with me so maybe some photos to show tomorrow - unless I get bladdered and run onto the pitch wearing a parrot costume :o:D

Had a great time last evening but alas I am too hungover to write a report. Sorry folks too much red wine. I will be back to normal tomorrow :(:drunk:

Don't mean to gloat CP, but what is a hangover like? in all of my drinking years regardless of what, or how much I drank I was fortunate enough never to suffer one. My eldest brother is the same, but the middle brother only needs two pints and he is afraid to move his head the following day,(doesn't stop him drinking though!) Hope your recovery is swift.

Edited by joe (Liverpool)