What Made You Un-Happy Today ?

The Rover

Strider.. I've finally got blood tests booked for Friday morning. I'm on Methotrexate for Rheumatoid Arthritis and get these tests done every 4 weeks (one of the tests is for liver functions as Methotrexate can affect the liver, so no booze at all)

But I am warey about the tests being a week late and I have the Rheumatologist in about 2 weeks time and he's pretty strict about how it's conducted. I also have a booklet I have to carry around that tells you all the results etc....complicated stuff I hate :/

Sorry to hear this Slave. It is such a debilitating condition. You would think that in this day of transplants and the like someone would have come up with a cure for this?

Mrs CP has a little bit of arthritis in her neck ( due to her driving) and she took anti inflammatories and Paracetomol for a few weeks and some physio and it has eased. I think mainly it is now the summer and it helps in a way. I wish you all the best and I hope things improve for you?

thank you, cp. yes, it's winter here atm .... maybe that hasn't helped.

Not to be too nosy, but did you ever get your blood tests? I'm on Coumadin and get regular blood tests myself.

I believe Rick can also give you advice along with Ally about back pain, Jules. Hope you're soon sorted out by the docs and on the mend from all of your travails and pain-free.

thanks, strider. yes, ally and rick have both offered advice to me before :)

thank you jane joe, and paul, much appreciated :) :)

Strider.. I've finally got blood tests booked for Friday morning. I'm on Methotrexate for Rheumatoid Arthritis and get these tests done every 4 weeks (one of the tests is for liver functions as Methotrexate can affect the liver, so no booze at all)

But I am warey about the tests being a week late and I have the Rheumatologist in about 2 weeks time and he's pretty strict about how it's conducted. I also have a booklet I have to carry around that tells you all the results etc....complicated stuff I hate :/

my friend has rheumatoid arthritis , and also takes methotrexate. does it work well for you? hope so :) good luck with your tests :)

my friend has rheumatoid arthritis , and also takes methotrexate. does it work well for you? hope so :) good luck with your tests :)

So far, it is working. I've been taking it for about 4 and a half years though I still get the flare ups but I do still try to keep active

well, i've been moaning on sometime now about all my aches and pains .... sorry!

had a full body scan and blood tests ....

arthritis everywhere .... :(

shoulder, knee, ankle .... and my back! ouch! :injured:

gonna try using anti-inflammatory meds regularly for 6 weeks or so, and if no improvement, i can have those injections Ally talked about ....

wish me luck, i don't like needles much ...... :baby:

Sorry to hear about your arthritis Slave :console: and hopefully, being on a steady diet of anti inflammatory meds for a while, you'll feel some relief . They can take a while to kick in so don't give up on them too soon. If it does come down to getting the injections, don't fret. They'll freeze the area and outside of certain body parts feeling like they're going to explode....you won't notice a thing.... :P:lol: ..joking ;)

Edited by ally

STZ,

I am really sorry to hear about this. It must be difficult, particularly in your line of work where you are on your feet a lot of the time. Hopefully, the meds will give you some relief. Was your full body scan done by CT scanner or MRI? I ask because I had an MRI once and it was so claustrophic.

Take care.

well, i've been moaning on sometime now about all my aches and pains .... sorry!

had a full body scan and blood tests ....

arthritis everywhere .... :(

shoulder, knee, ankle .... and my back! ouch! :injured:

gonna try using anti-inflammatory meds regularly for 6 weeks or so, and if no improvement, i can have those injections Ally talked about ....

wish me luck, i don't like needles much ...... :baby:

So far, it is working. I've been taking it for about 4 and a half years though I still get the flare ups but I do still try to keep active

oh that's good to hear. my friend has a lot of pain, and swears by the meth. :):wave:

STZ,

I am really sorry to hear about this. It must be difficult, particularly in your line of work where you are on your feet a lot of the time. Hopefully, the meds will give you some relief. Was your full body scan done by CT scanner or MRI? I ask because I had an MRI once and it was so claustrophic.

Take care.

thank you, kenog ( what does kenog mean, if anything? can i ask? )

yeah, its tiring being on my feet all day, but actually i feel the pain at night, when resting or sleeping. i get woken up 3-6 times a night with pains ... :wakeup:

it was called a spect ct scan .... it was a pretty big machine that went all down over my body before and after having dye injected. it came really close, almost touching my nose, but it didn't worry me at all.

Sorry to hear about your arthritis Slave :console: and hopefully, being on a steady diet of anti inflammatory meds for a while, you'll feel some relief . They can take a while to kick in so don't give up on them too soon. If it does come down to getting the injections, don't fret. They'll freeze the area and outside of certain body parts feeling like they're going to explode....you won't notice a thing.... :P:lol: ..joking ;)

yeah, i'm gonna try and take them every day, and the panadol osteo 3 times a day for 6 weeks or so. if no better, i'' look at getting the needle ....

don't scare me like that! :run:

Hi,

Yeah, that's a CT scanner. I have had one of those and a MRI. They do come very close to your face. The one thing you have in your favour by living in Australia is that your weather is so hot - arthritis seems to aggravated by cold weather. Kenog is an abbreviation of my Christian name and surname.

oh that's good to hear. my friend has a lot of pain, and swears by the meth. :):wave:

thank you, kenog ( what does kenog mean, if anything? can i ask? )

yeah, its tiring being on my feet all day, but actually i feel the pain at night, when resting or sleeping. i get woken up 3-6 times a night with pains ... :wakeup:

it was called a spect ct scan .... it was a pretty big machine that went all down over my body before and after having dye injected. it came really close, almost touching my nose, but it didn't worry me at all.

yeah, i'm gonna try and take them every day, and the panadol osteo 3 times a day for 6 weeks or so. if no better, i'' look at getting the needle ....

Hi,

Yeah, that's a CT scanner. I have had one of those and a MRI. They do come very close to your face. The one thing you have in your favour by living in Australia is that your weather is so hot - arthritis seems to aggravated by cold weather. Kenog is an abbreviation of my Christian name and surname.

hi ken :wave:

STZ... Do you not find that extreme heat where you live would aggrivate the pain? the cold makes mine worse but on the other hand if it's very warm the same happens

I've had a very bad flare up, it started last night and had to wear hand/wrist splints through the night and the pain and stiffness has continued most of today so what ever weather wise, hot or cold I feel I can't win one way or the other

Has anyone ever tried the various alternative remedies/therapies that are recommended for arthritis? I'd be interested to know if they help at all, because I think that as we get older, there's a fair chance we'll all get a touch of arthritis.

STZ... Do you not find that extreme heat where you live would aggrivate the pain? the cold makes mine worse but on the other hand if it's very warm the same happens

I've had a very bad flare up, it started last night and had to wear hand/wrist splints through the night and the pain and stiffness has continued most of today so what ever weather wise, hot or cold I feel I can't win one way or the other

Kenog, I've tried herbal teas, mainly nettle tea and eating apples. Both are a natural inflammatory and helps but I've been under a awful lot of stress (on the verge of losing my job amongst other things) and the last thing you worry about is what to put into your gob. Mines is chocolate....lots of the bloody stuff and IMHO that doesn't help

NOW...what would help is a big lottery win so I can stick my RA riddled fingers up at my workplace and sod off for a good while :) Here's hoping haha!

You know me well enough to know that I wouldn't make light of the injections if there really were something to worry about ;) . They're a piece of cake and given the pain you're experiencing now, you'd enjoy the relief they bring. That said, I sincerely hope that the meds do the trick for you and that there is no need to visit the injection option :)

Well, here's hoping that you can get a nice Lottery win and tell your employers to stick their job up their backside and see if it fits! :smiley_pray:

Kenog, I've tried herbal teas, mainly nettle tea and eating apples. Both are a natural inflammatory and helps but I've been under a awful lot of stress (on the verge of losing my job amongst other things) and the last thing you worry about is what to put into your gob. Mines is chocolate....lots of the bloody stuff and IMHO that doesn't help

NOW...what would help is a big lottery win so I can stick my RA riddled fingers up at my workplace and sod off for a good while :) Here's hoping haha!

Well, here's hoping that you can get a nice Lottery win and tell your employers to stick their job up their backside and see if it fits! :smiley_pray:

I'll second that !

i don't really think the weather has any effect in my case. could be wrong, though.

sorry to hear yours is so bad today. hope it improves!

i woke with a REALLY bad back pain today .... after day one of the new meds .....

Edited by slave to zep

ally - of course i knew you were joking - all good :) i tell you, i wouldn't mind that injection RIGHT NOW, my back is really sore. dr said i have not only bulging discs, but also arthritis in the spine. oh, and don't forget the spur on the spine, too ..... :(:(

kenog - what alternatives are you referring to?

i've tried fish oil, krill oil, glucosamine ... nothing has helped so far :(

Obviously give it some time to get used to the meds, hopefully it'll kick in soon for you :) There really isn't anything worse than having disturbed sleep due to pain, so I have every sympathy for you.

So far, the flare-up has gone (I can type better!)...the splint is off and my hand doesn't smell like a 10 day old sweaty sock!! lol (the splint is a rubber based material covered thing and smells when you have it on for some time...yuk)

i don't really think the weather has any effect in my case. could be wrong, though.

sorry to hear yours is so bad today. hope it improves!

i woke with a REALLY bad back pain today .... after day one of the new meds .....

Obviously give it some time to get used to the meds, hopefully it'll kick in soon for you :) There really isn't anything worse than having disturbed sleep due to pain, so I have every sympathy for you.

So far, the flare-up has gone (I can type better!)...the splint is off and my hand doesn't smell like a 10 day old sweaty sock!! lol (the splint is a rubber based material covered thing and smells when you have it on for some time...yuk)

oh yes, i will give it time. have to go to work in a minute, hope it settles down ....

so glad to hear yours is a bit better :)