What Made You Un-Happy Today ?

The Rover

I hate teenage boys, I hate them.

There's this one kid on our bus from the begining who was already starting trouble. First he whistles on the bus very loudly and repeatedly, then he starts to say some mean things to one of my friends, then he starts spitting spitballs on the bus!! SPITBALLS, you know how disgusting that is??!!! If I were a Principle or his mom, I would send boys like him to Boot Camp, cause it seems like thats the only way to learn how to behave!

:angry::angry::angry:

my car started spraying water out over the bonnet while driving today .... end result, new radiator, $520 :( . sure didn't need that to happen, but the good thing is it didn't happen while i was on my holiday in a few weeks time. i will be driving quite a distance, so i am glad it happened now, and not in the middle of my trip. :)

Things like that make me glad I sleep with my mechanic so I can get a discount on labor and parts and keep me on the road. By the way, I happen to be married to my mechanic. :D

Falling for a complete asshoe who makes you feel like crap, just for existing, and seemed to be kind and caring at....first and then begins to think you only have a [censored] and not human emotions and still feeling like crap, even though you know he's an utter idiot and you want to leave it at that.

at least, I recognized it before it was too late unlike last time. I definitely don't mind giving the stereotypical "nice guy" a chance, I don't know why they get such a bad rep.

Edited by DeepBlackZeppelin

I hate teenage boys, I hate them.

There's this one kid on our bus from the begining who was already starting trouble. First he whistles on the bus very loudly and repeatedly, then he starts to say some mean things to one of my friends, then he starts spitting spitballs on the bus!! SPITBALLS, you know how disgusting that is??!!! If I were a Principle or his mom, I would send boys like him to Boot Camp, cause it seems like thats the only way to learn how to behave!

:angry::angry::angry:

The funny thing is you would think older guys in college are more mature, but.....it's not too true. But luckily for you, there are less of them as they get older and you get older.

Generational stereotypes leading to generational discrimination.

That was a mouth full...

There are big debates going on here on campus over this sort of thing right now. Fortunately, it seems the more professional students, staff and alumni are helping to squash it such as the bug it is.

To help explain...it's a bit lengthy but people hate clicking links ;)

Wanted: improved on-campus communication

Generational stereotypes remain prevalent between faculty and students

By Precious Barksdale

pjbarksd@unca.edu

Published: Thursday, September 10, 2009

Updated: Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fact or fiction?

College students are coddled, lazy, irresponsible and impulsiveindividuals. Professors are traditional, boring, controlling andconservative. Well, these are the stereotypes. UNC Asheville psychologyprofessor Ann Weber presents a very interesting perspective on thisissue.

“College professors have generational stereotypes about theirstudents, and students have generational stereotypes about theirprofessors. That doesn’t mean that they are necessarily true,” Webersaid.

Professors and students should learn to work through stereotypes because they can learn from each other.

“I had a homework assignment once that was called ‘Keep Dr. WeberCool’,” Weber said. “I would ask my students to send me the music,fashions and trends that they liked. I have to say, what I received wasvery interesting.”

If the major differences between students and their professors aregenerational, we should not only recognize these differences, but alsotry to work through them.

“Overall, stereotypes in general are just superficial,” Weber said.“Professors have many generalizations about students at first, but oncethey are able to get to know their students, the stereotypes go away.”

Teens and 20-year-olds are the Millennial Generation and peoplebetween the ages of 30 and 60 are either Generation X or baby boomers,according to McCrindle research, an organization dedicated to studyinggenerational patterns and demographic trends.

Is it a disadvantage if your college professor grew up around thesame time as your parents? If so, doesn’t this mean the samegeneralizations your parents make about you are the same as yourprofessor’s?

“Many professors are the parents of millennial children. We raisedyou, we protected you, entertained you, we did everything. And as aresult, we spoiled you into thinking that everything should be handedto you,” Weber said.

Regardless of the circumstances, every student, at one time oranother, probably encountered an older person comparing them to agenerational stereotype.

“The younger generation is viewed by the older generation asunsophisticated, uninformed and less serious,” Weber said. “These areall classic stereotypes about adolescents.”

According to the McCrindle group, the baby boomer or Generation X professors are authoritative, responsible and strict.

While professors have stereotypes about the younger generation, students also have stereotypes about the older generation.

“My strict high school teacher told me to be responsible in collegebecause professors don’t remind you of when things are due,” saidfreshman Hannah Orr. “He also said that professors are a little crazyand sometimes make bad jokes. I’ve found that to be true at UNCA.”

The biology student says she knew her professors would try to relate to students in her generation in some way.

“Sometimes I think when professors try to relate to students it doesn’t work, but it also depends on the student,” Orr said.

Orr also says she recalls a time when her professor was more lenient when she injured herself.

“I also didn’t expect my professors to be OK with me missing classfor a couple of days, even though it was because I fell off of my bunkbed,” Orr said.

More assessment programs would provide more opportunities for both students and professors to critique each other.

Assessment programs that exist at UNCA are the national survey ofstudent engagement, the voluntary support of accountability and thecollegiate learning assessment.

“When I was in college, I had a lot of stereotypes about myprofessors. I thought they were absent-minded nerds who always spilledcoffee on the papers they were grading,” said associate professor ofpsychology Mark Harvey.

Harvey calls stereotypes “illusory correlations defined as beliefsthat inaccurately suppose a relationship between a certain type ofaction or an effect.”

“An example would be if someone says it always rains when I wash mycar,” Harvey said. “Because an individual always refers to when theywashed their car and it rained, they maintained that stereotype basedon that one instance.”

Stereotypes cause a lot of misconceptions between the intentions of college students and their professors.

“Some stereotypes that the older generation have about collegestudents I would definitely question, such as being cynical, oruninteresting, but a lot of stereotypes I hear are positive,” Harveysaid.

Though some are positive, stereotypes overall are misleading, unnecessary and almost always incorrect.

“I only hear positive things that professors say about theirstudents. The professors here are very grateful to have students whoare just willing to learn,” Harvey said.

Accepting the generational differences and working through them canonly help, not hinder, the relationship between students and theirprofessors.

“Because our way of learning as a student was different, we shouldwork together to learn things about each other and our differences andappreciate the things that are great and accept the things that wedon’t understand about each other,” Weber said.

Courtesy The Blue Banner

http://www.theblueba...cation-1.437387

Edited by Mary Hartman

Who you hang around reflects upon who you are. If you hang around teenagers who are butt wipes well it stands to reason you will get smelly.

Same is true for more mature individuals. I think this is something which is not stressed upon enough. Be careful who you associate with.

Exactly.

When I finally went to high school, I was surprised by how mature the guys in my class are. Almost all of them. I used to hate that if your best friend is a guy, you're probably in a relationship with him .

WTF? :angry:

Be careful whom you choose to hang out with.

Exactly.

When I finally went to high school, I was surprised by how mature the guys in my class are. Almost all of them. I used to hate that if your best friend is a guy, you're probably in a relationship with him .

Hello Lena Zep, My three best friends are male. I really could care less what people think and the older you get you'll feel the same. If these guys are nice that is the most important thing...choose your own direction and don't let other people feel they have the right to judge you:-)

Exactly.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to other people judging you by your friends. I mean do you choose their pals for them?

Probably not. Many times you see things like jealousy rearing it's ugly head. I remember it well, it was worse in Junior High and High School.

Sometimes it's better to not tell people things. I mean once you've learned someone is not trustworthy? I wouldn't rely on their judgement of who you should hang with.

I mean give your friends forgiveness and kindness, just don't put everything on the line in High School.

Have Fun....

Gosh I sound like a dad...

Edited by Mary Hartman

I wouldn't pay too much attention to other people judging you by your friends. I mean do you choose their pals for them?

Probably not. Many times you see things like jealousy rearing it's ugly head. I remember it well, it was worse in Junior High and High School.

Sometimes it's better to not tell people things. I mean once you've learned someone is not trustworthy? I wouldn't rely on their judgement of who you should hang with.

I mean give your friends forgiveness and kindness, just don't put everything on the line in High School.

Have Fun....

Gosh I sound like a dad...

I actually don't pay any attention to the immature idiots, but sometimes they're just impossible to ignore. I'm glad it's different now.

Anyway, I found these today :(

World's biggest hyperinflation. You couldn't buy bread with 500 billions dinars.

S6301967.jpg

My computer has been acting sluggish, and it's frozen up on me twice today. It's. Driving. Me. Mad.

PM me and tell me what it's doing exactly. It probably needs a good cleaning out.

Usually do to a lack of memory. But could be a couple other things.

Edited by Mary Hartman

I just tried to get a subbing job that I don't think I'm going to get this morning. :(

Subbing for 9th grade English---so far, that's been my specialty. ;)

I know the stuff, which is why I really wanted to do it. That's what I taught in summer school this summer. I'm guessing someone else already got it.

:( Well, it's a combo happy/sad.

My son is gone. Germany is his new home.

We had a wonderful going away party for him, we all got drunk, tried not to cry, did anyway, but had a great time.

Unfortunately some kid was sick a few days prior and apparently still contagious because several of us got sick as dogs a day after the party.

My daughter and I got it real bad, I don't know if it was the swine bug or what but I had a devil in my body for about five days. Fever, chills, barfo, sore, head that would not stop pounding for two days straight. So I think I at least got immunity from THAT bug.

It was a bitch though.

Now I'm waiting to hear from him. They arrived in the AM in Frankurt, but have a six hour drive north. (don't know why they had to do it that way) I watched the flight on "flight tracker" which was so cool, I could see in real time as they flew over Ireland, then England, and finally landed. LONG day for my grandbaby. :( And their dog! Poor thing, She (my daughter-in-law) had to take him though.

I can't wait to hear from them.

I found out it's humid as hell there, so getting me to stay very long will be hard.

I just tried to get a subbing job that I don't think I'm going to get this morning. :(

Subbing for 9th grade English---so far, that's been my specialty. ;)

I know the stuff, which is why I really wanted to do it. That's what I taught in summer school this summer. I'm guessing someone else already got it.

We can hope and cross our fingers.

I wish you luck. You will get something eventually :D

woke up to a massive dust storm. it apparently came across from south australia and the northern territory. an amazing sight.... the whole sky is orange, and visibility is pretty bad. the forecast is for gale force winds now .... :unsure:

I just saw it on the news. Really amazing.

I hope the dust vanishes soon, slave to zep. :)

woke up to a massive dust storm. it apparently came across from south australia and the northern territory. an amazing sight.... the whole sky is orange, and visibility is pretty bad. the forecast is for gale force winds now .... :unsure:

Hi S2Z,

Any Pictures?

Regards, Danny

:( Well, it's a combo happy/sad.

My son is gone. Germany is his new home.

We had a wonderful going away party for him, we all got drunk, tried not to cry, did anyway, but had a great time.

Unfortunately some kid was sick a few days prior and apparently still contagious because several of us got sick as dogs a day after the party.

My daughter and I got it real bad, I don't know if it was the swine bug or what but I had a devil in my body for about five days. Fever, chills, barfo, sore, head that would not stop pounding for two days straight. So I think I at least got immunity from THAT bug.

It was a bitch though.

Now I'm waiting to hear from him. They arrived in the AM in Frankurt, but have a six hour drive north. (don't know why they had to do it that way) I watched the flight on "flight tracker" which was so cool, I could see in real time as they flew over Ireland, then England, and finally landed. LONG day for my grandbaby. :( And their dog! Poor thing, She (my daughter-in-law) had to take him though.

I can't wait to hear from them.

I found out it's humid as hell there, so getting me to stay very long will be hard.

That does sound like the swine flu. From what I've read it's the headaches that differentiate it from the regular flu. But like you said, at least now you have immunity.

Best wishes to you and to your son's family.