What Made You Un-Happy Today ?

The Rover

My grandmother didn't recognise me as I visited her today. I dyed my hair, but she didn't recognise me by my face, voice or height and built. She was mistaking me for someone working there who has the same name as her granddaughter.

As I aproached her, she asked me who I'd be. As I said my name, she only said "My granddaughter has the same name". My dad has told her that we'd gone to Berlin a few days ago to look for an apartment for me, and even though I told her the same, how I went with my dad to Berlin, she thought I'd be a stranger who'd gone there with her son. She asked me how long I'd been working there (at the nursery home)....

And as I left she said again how she has a granddaughter that has the same name. Dementia isn't nice :( Visiting her for the last time before I move and she even doesn't recognise me.

My grandmother didn't recognise me as I visited her today. I dyed my hair, but she didn't recognise me by my face, voice or height and built. She was mistaking me for someone working there who has the same name as her granddaughter.

As I aproached her, she asked me who I'd be. As I said my name, she only said "My granddaughter has the same name". My dad has told her that we'd gone to Berlin a few days ago to look for an apartment for me, and even though I told her the same, how I went with my dad to Berlin, she thought I'd be a stranger who'd gone there with her son. She asked me how long I'd been working there (at the nursery home)....

And as I left she said again how she has a granddaughter that has the same name. Dementia isn't nice :( Visiting her for the last time before I move and she even doesn't recognise me.

I'm sorry. I took care of my mother for a long time and I'm pretty sure she rarely realized who I was.

Did you make it completely clear to her by saying "Grandmother, I am your granddaughter, the daughter of your son" (with your dad standing next to you, or with a photo of him and you together)? Older people tend to recognize the people they see most often, and in most cases nowadays that's probably the nursery home worker(s). Did you visit her very often before the dementia set in? A good idea is to carry a picture of you and your grandmother together - or better yet, you and your father and your grandmother together (along with other photos of her with extended family) - in your purse at all times to show her - and others! - that you are members of a family that you keep close-at-hand, think about and cherish - even when you're not together.

Don't give up hope, older people have "good days" and "bad days", and if her eyesight isn't failing she might recognize you next time. If you used to do something special for her, like rub her neck, touch her cheek, squeeze her hand, or pat her arm in a certain way, do that again and she might react differently to you than a worker who is more aloof and distant. You might want to bring along something she gave you in the past - a necklace, scarf, whatever - and remind her how grateful you are that she thought of you when she gave it to you ... whether or not she remembers her gift to you, the thought that you sincerely appreciate (and have always appreciated) it will bring a smile to her face. If you have no material gift from her to show, explain to her how knowing her has helped brighten your life -- I used to remind my granny how nice it was to hear her sing while she ironed and did laundry, how much we grandkids looked forward to the strawberry shortcake she'd bake us on our birthdays and how delicious they were, how much I loved to smell the iris flowers and daffodils that she planted as we walked along the driveway to her home ... gratefully remembering special moments together will surely set you apart from the workers as her granddaughter.

Did you make it completely clear to her by saying "Grandmother, I am your granddaughter, the daughter of your son" (with your dad standing next to you, or with a photo of him and you together)? Older people tend to recognize the people they see most often, and in most cases nowadays that's probably the nursery home worker(s). Did you visit her very often before the dementia set in? A good idea is to carry a picture of you and your grandmother together - or better yet, you and your father and your grandmother together (along with other photos of her with extended family) - in your purse at all times to show her - and others! - that you are members of a family that you keep close-at-hand, think about and cherish - even when you're not together.

Don't give up hope, older people have "good days" and "bad days", and if her eyesight isn't failing she might recognize you next time. If you used to do something special for her, like rub her neck, touch her cheek, squeeze her hand, or pat her arm in a certain way, do that again and she might react differently to you than a worker who is more aloof and distant. You might want to bring along something she gave you in the past - a necklace, scarf, whatever - and remind her how grateful you are that she thought of you when she gave it to you ... whether or not she remembers her gift to you, the thought that you sincerely appreciate (and have always appreciated) it will bring a smile to her face. If you have no material gift from her to show, explain to her how knowing her has helped brighten your life -- I used to remind my granny how nice it was to hear her sing while she ironed and did laundry, how much we grandkids looked forward to the strawberry shortcake she'd bake us on our birthdays and how delicious they were, how much I loved to smell the iris flowers and daffodils that she planted as we walked along the driveway to her home ... gratefully remembering special moments together will surely set you apart from the workers as her granddaughter.

I said a few times I'd be her granddaughter, that her son is my father and tried to use other references as well and mentioned my brother. But she just did not know who I was. I visit her once each month, always together with my father and brother, and my father visits her every week. Also she was at my fathers place a few weeks age because his wife had birthday and I was there, too. my dad says she probably would have recognised me if he came there with me.

greed.

i work for one of the largest and most successful businesses in the country. they make massive profits every year and the top execs get paid very well. yet

we ( the workers ) keep getting squeezed to work harder and harder. i'm a full-time worker, only two of us in my dept, but all our part-time and casual workers keep getting their hours cut ( which is horrible ) so we have to work harder and harder. i'm nearly 50 and the other lady is 62! we're over it!

i could understand them doing this if they were losing money, but they aren't. it sucks. i need another job!

Edited by slave to zep

I work on a tropical island and in the middle of the night my A/C went out - got no sleep after that. Went out to drive to work - flat tire on the front passenger side. Called in to a special meeting with the Project Manager this morning to be informed that recycling out here is no longer economically feasible and everything will hence forth be burned. Stopped by the Post Office on my way home for lunch - the 5 boxes I maled back to myslef in the States were returned because the PO wanted customs paperwork to ship things from a U.S. territory to the US.

I thought these things were only supposed to happen in three's?

Hi Fool, :wave:

I hope your leg gets better soon, that sounds nasty! I know what you mean about flies. We have a cow shed at the bottom of the garden, and we always get flies in the house if we open the window even just for a few minutes. This year I swear they've become immune to both fly paper and the repellent spray! :unsure:

I can't wait the colder weather to get here either!

After spending 3 Hours at the A E Department with this Horse Fly bite yesterday....My bloody leg is still about 4 times its normal size and painful even after taking Penicillin for 24 Hours.

Roll on winter so all those nasty little blighters DIE or at least stay dormant for a while....:angry:

Oh my! You poor thing! :console2: I have never seen a horse fly before but they sound like downright nasty creatures! I can't stand a mere mosquito bite let alone a bite by a horse-fly! Sheesh! :wacko:

Anyway, don't exert your feet and do remember to keep them elevated at all times! Whenever my feet swell, I tend to keep them elevated atleast for a week and that works wonders! :) And oh, I googled the phrase "horse fly bite treatment" and I found some helpful advice here :

• Immediately after the horsefly bite, clean the wound using soap and water. Dry the area with a clean towel.
  • It is advisable to apply a topical hydrocortisone cream or benadryl cream on the area of the bite. This helps reduce itching and swelling. An anti-histamine tablet or piriton tablet can help decrease discomfort.
  • Another effective remedy is to place a tea towel soaked in hot, salty water on the bite area to relieve pain. Application of vinegar or Aloe vera juice helps relieve pain, while application of an ice cube or cool pad helps reduce itchiness.
  • Following this, cover the area with a loose gauze bandage. If you experience allergic reactions or breathing difficulties, then consult a doctor.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I bought a vest at H&M over the weekend in L.A. without trying it on and when I settled in at home, I discovered it doesn't fit. Texas doesn't have any H&M stores. sad.gif My fault, but when I called the store to see if I can somehow exchange it via mail, I was told that all they can do is hold the size I need for 24 hours. blink.gif How the hell do they expect me to manage that?rolleyes.gif

Hi Fool, :wave:

I hope your leg gets better soon, that sounds nasty! I know what you mean about flies. We have a cow shed at the bottom of the garden, and we always get flies in the house if we open the window even just for a few minutes. This year I swear they've become immune to both fly paper and the repellent spray! :unsure:

I can't wait the colder weather to get here either!

hi magic, nice to see you!

we have to have gauze on all our windows because of flies and mozzies! and we even have an extra door with gauze on the front and back so we can have those doors open in summer. you have no idea how bad the insects are in oz!

although, like kiwi, i'm not sure what a horsefly is either, but they sound nasty. i hope fool in the rain is ok now.

I bought a vest at H&M over the weekend in L.A. without trying it on and when I settled in at home, I discovered it doesn't fit. Texas doesn't have any H&M stores. sad.gif My fault, but when I called the store to see if I can somehow exchange it via mail, I was told that all they can do is hold the size I need for 24 hours. blink.gif How the hell do they expect me to manage that?rolleyes.gif

Perhaps you know someone you can call in LA that can go get the size you need at H & M and exchange it for you? An aunt or somebody? :whistling:

Of course, as you by now know, there IS an H & M in Texas...Dallas, Texas to be precise. But here's even better news for you: http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/08-22-11-hm-appears-headed-for-mall-locations-in-Houston/

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Edited by Strider