Jimmy page's Acoustic strings

Spraybooth: You would want to paint the guitar properly. A spraybooth is a dust-free and properly ventilated area to do the painting. Basically, if you're not an experienced painter, and you want it done right, have a pro do it. I mean if you're an Eddie Van Halen fan, you can get by with a can of Krylon, lol! But you're going for Les Paul custom. You want a nice, deep tuxedo black finish.

Kits: Taking apart and reassembling a guitar you know plays well isn't the same as bolting to parts together for the first time and hoping everything lines up. You might have to do shimming. Do you know about adjusting break off angles? I'm just saying there are a lot of unknowns.

Re-tubing your Peavey: What model is it? Here's the link to the Peavey amp forum:

http://forums.peavey.com/

New amp: Starts with budget, then making a choice.

ahh i see it literally is a spray painting booth ahah yea ive not had ne experience with that stuff so id have to get some help on that one but yea deep tuxedo black is what im looking for =)

Yea i know what you're saying about there being alot of unknown out there and stuff and i agree probably wouldnt be the best to just jump right into something like that, so i think me and my friend are going to hit the pawn shops and search for a cheap one or so and just fool around with all that just to get the feel of how it all works, not so much to make a killer sounding guitar.

Do you guys think that would be a good idea for taht?

As for the amp it turns out its not a tube, but the model is an old Studio Pro 40 so its 40w and has 2 gain controls, master volume, 3 eq and reverb. its not a bad amp, just marshall puts out what i like the most. As for my budget with taht i was looking for up to about 200 and found the mg15FX which is 199, so taht seemed like the right idea, but then i saw the mg30fx and its pretty much the same thing plus 15w for only $50 more so i just said what the hell. Ive played one and i like it, and other ppl have said the same. What are your thoughts?

Pawn shops can be tricky. Sometimes you can get a steal, but a lot of the ones I've browsed have absolute crap priced like retail. Brands I've never even heard of. You don't know what the hell it is.

Obviously you don't intend to play with a drummer with what is essentially a practice amp. I use a Fender Champion 15 with DSP at home. I can get some pretty decent tones with it, and it has a headphone output. Costs a bit more than the Marshalls you mentioned, but I think it's worth it. My stage setup is a Marshall DSL50 with a pair of Mesa 2x12s with Celestion Vintage 30s.

yea i know pawn shops can go both ways. Wouldnt be even thinking of paying alot for nething, i literally want a piece of junk for like $20-100 max if i can, hopefully soemthing brandname if not thats ok, and just fix it up from there.

yea not playing with any drummer for me there just a practice amp, so in that case might it be better to just go with the 15w one if it has all the effects?

Also, what would be the minimum wattage of an amp if i were to play with a drummer, not big stuff just like in a little school talent show type thing, well our school's version haha

THAT depends on the drummer! :lol:

I'd say no less than 35-40 watts, especially if you want enough headroom to have a decent clean sound as well as crunch. I use a 50 watt head with 4 12" speakers, and it's right on the money. I can get a clean sound, but I'm still pushing the power tubes hard enough to get genuine overdrive without a stomp box (I just use a Tube Screamer for a lead boost). And believe me, we play LOUD!

yea thats true

hey i was wondering, if the smaller amp was like 30 watts and had an output jack could i plug that up to my peavey? its 40 watts that could work, plus i could layer the effects... thatd be pretty cool.. cuz my dad said i could play the guitar through his synthesizer and plug that to the amp... so maybe itd work.. =)

Also, do you know anything about mic'ing acoustics? idk if itd be better to just throw a mic infront of it or to strap a little mic to the side and put that in a sound system or something, i dont know anything about that really...

If the smaller amp has a line out, it doesn't matter how many watts it is. In that case though, I would keep the second amp totally clean and use it as a slave, and use the small amp as a pre-amp.

Micing acoustics is a matter of taste (and practicality). In the studio Jimmy usually just dropped a mic into the soundhole for recording. Live he had a mic on a stand pointed at the soundhole. Later he attached a Barcus Berry acoustic pickup to the guitar itself.

im sorry but i dont quite understand that first sentence there could you try to break that down for me? sry but yea thats what i really planned to do is to use the peavey just to make it louder but i figured it might sound kinda cool if i messed around with that... but then again maybe not ;) well see

as for the acoustic what would be the cheapest and still work well for on stage? going to be doing the acoustic part of stairway, so well have a drummer after a little bit, =)

A guitar amplifier has two stages, a preamp and a poweramp. The preamp stage is where you adjust your tone and gain settings. This is then sent to the poweramp stage which steps up the signal you adjust with your Master Volume. What I mean by a "line-out" is a signal taken from between the preamp and the poweramp stages. If you were to use a speaker output to go to the second amp, it would totally overload that amp's input. So you need a preamp signal to go to the second amp. In the case of the Marshall MG, you would use the headphone output with an 1/8" to 1/4" input jack adapter. More expensive models usually have a "line-out" on their back panel which sends a "line-level signal" for recording purposes or to go to a power amp.

Oh and never run a Marshall amplifier with its speaker(s) disconnected. When you plug in headphones, the poweramp section is turned off. Disconnect the speaker, and the poweramp will have nowhere to send its juice and it will blow itself up.

When you plug in headphones, it automatically disengages the power amp. What I meant was, never unplug the speaker from the amp to silence it or run the amplifier without the speaker connected.

No no, you are misunderstanding me. I'm just saying never physically disconnect the speakers from any amp and then turn it on.

The Marshall MG will shut off the power amp automatically when you plug into the headphone output. The signal going to the headphones will be the preamp signal that normally goes to the poweramp. That's what you want to run to any other device.

A speaker output should only and always be hooked up to a speaker of the correct resistance.

ahhh gotcha sry wasnt getting the part about the physically disconnecting it... didnt actually know you could do that... so just plug the mg from the headphone jack to one of the inputs of the peavey and i should be good to go?

Not meaning to showboat but,

Every one Ernie Super Slinkys (well except the Takmine classical):

Children2.jpg

Ernie makes strings. Leo makes guitars. Mostly. I'll put Ernie's strings on Leo's guitars. And yes, I've owned an Ernie Ball Steve Lukather model. Nice guitar. End of day, whatever guitar I'm strapping on, Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. It's not even open for discussion with me. Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Anything else is, "So what else ya got?"

Very impressive collection you got there, Ev.

I'm curious about your classical. I got a Takamine myself and it looks really like yours.

Which model is it?

I have the EG124C.

Oh and never run a Marshall amplifier with its speaker(s) disconnected. When you plug in headphones, the poweramp section is turned off. Disconnect the speaker, and the poweramp will have nowhere to send its juice and it will blow itself up.

i didnt know that ev. i have a very old valvestate that i sometimes use for recording. it doesnt have a headphones output and when the line out is used the speakers still pump out sound. because of this i've always disconnected the speaker when recording. this is usually only for short periods, but am i risking it in doing so?

thanks, johnny

its not my main amp just one i occasionally use for recording

Your line out won't cut the power like a headphone jack because obviously you could want to run a line to a PA or recording unit and still play live. That said, I would never run an amp without a speaker hooked up. You could do serious damage to the output transformer (and they're expensive!).

The doubleneck is a Gibson. I do have some videos on YouTube. Just search Evster2012. ;)

sweet i saw some of your vids really nice guitar playing man hey in over the hills and far away could you tell me how you do the slide part of the intro and the main riffs? i cant find a decent tab for it and no lessons that go that far

sweet i saw some of your vids really nice guitar playing man hey in over the hills and far away could you tell me how you do the slide part of the intro and the main riffs? i cant find a decent tab for it and no lessons that go that far

The only song I use a slide on is What is and What Should Never Be. Could you be more specific? I'll try to help you out.

Just a suggestion: we've been off the topic of "Jimmy's strings" for some time. Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread in the Musician's Section. ;)

Archived