Sun Shine Zeppelin

McSeven

Does anyone realize that Donovans Sunshine Superman song has Jimmy Page listed as one of its performers.

I love that song, and it does have a Zep slinkiness to it. Also, JPJ has worked on Tom Jones music as well. If Page and JPJ were not in Zep. They at least made thier mark on catchy singles. No wonder most of Zeps riffs and songs are memorable.

Mc7

Jimmy didn't perform on it, I'm pretty sure. John Paul Jones produced and arranged it.

Jimmy, Jonesy and Bonzo did play on Hurdy Gurdy Man, and the solo is Jimmy's which Donavan left in, as he and Mickie Most loved it, which is awesome. Donvan said he said, "Keep playing, Jimmy.." That part made me want to cry in Donavan documentary. George Harrison had written the verse that would have been there in India.

Jimmy didn't perform on it, I'm pretty sure. John Paul Jones produced and arranged it.

Jimmy, Jonesy and Bonzo did play on Hurdy Gurdy Man, and the solo is Jimmy's which Donavan left in, as he and Mickie Most loved it, which is awesome. Donvan said he said, "Keep playing, Jimmy.." That part made me want to cry in Donavan documentary. George Harrison had written the verse that would have been there in India.

Well then Wikipedia is wrong then. I should do a more detailed search about the song Sunshine Superman.

Well then Wikipedia is wrong then. I should do a more detailed search about the song Sunshine Superman.

On a CD I have which I think Jimmy is being interviewed by Steve Rosman in 1977, he said that they had asked Jeff to come and do it, too, but Jeff couldn't play it so, I think this is the session that Jimmy said they brought in someone named Alan White to play it. So it definately wasn't Jimmy.

...Bonzo played on Hurdy Gurdy Man too??..never knew that..

No, Jimmy and John Paul didn't meet Bonham until late summer of 1968. Hurdy Gurdy was recorded before that. Clem Cattini (also an early prospect for Zeppelin BTW) played drums.

As for Wikipedia, it's "facts" are put in by anyone. They're only discounted if the staff can quickly disprove them. If the Wiki people don't have the resources to disprove a claimed fact, it stands. So don't rely on it in anything more than a general way.

As for Wikipedia, it's "facts" are put in by anyone. They're only discounted if the staff can quickly disprove them. If the Wiki people don't have the resources to disprove a claimed fact, it stands. So don't rely on it in anything more than a general way.

Yes, yes, oh yes, thank you, thank you, thank you. :yay:

Nobody ever listens to me about Wiki, but if Ev says so, you know it's true! :beer:

I heard that jimmy had recorded for many artists back then...there were so many that he can't even remember. local radio station gave me the heads up last week :)

It would be pretty cool if Donovan and jimmy expanded more on the song Atlantis.

And for anyone requiring sources, here's Clem and JPJ themselves:

Hurdy Gurdy Man - Donovan

Funny I should be asked about "Hurdy Gurdy Man". I spoke to John Paul Jones who played bass on it and was the MD. The guitar player was Alan Parker. American Web sites say that John Bonham and Jimmy Page played on it. This is absolute Bullshit as JPJ said. This is the e-mail sent BY JPJ.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I have been contacted by Clem Cattini with regard to Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man

I would like to confirm that the musicians on the record were as follows

Donovan Accoustic Guitar

John Paul Jones Arrangement/Musical Director and Bass Guitar

Alan Parker Lead (electric) Guitar

Clem Cattini Drums

No other musicians were involved in this session

The session was produced by Mickie Most and engineered by Eddie Kramer.

John Paul Jones

London 05/2005

*edit to add* I realise upon review that this is possibly regarding the track Hurdy Gurdy Man and not perhaps other tracks on the album, including Sunshine Superman. I will dig further.

I do however maintain that Bonzo was nowhere near Page when the album was recorded. Page hadn't even met Plant and taken him to Pangbourne at that time, much less been tipped to the drummer from the Midlands.

Archived