After months of harassment, i've watched Twighlight.

Zepaholic

Who does?

I do... somewhat.

No I do not. It's stuff like that that ruins the idea of vampires. No offence intended :)

Actually, I think Joss Whedon stuck pretty well to the lore. Obviously Angel and Spike were different, but then they also had souls (Angel from the beginning, Spike near the end of Buffy and for most of Angel). But, in general, I think Joss got it right. His shows weren't perfect, for sure. There were a lot of things about both shows I hated. But in the end, they were pretty good, I think...

However, I think it's Twilight that absolutely murders the idea of vampires. WTF was Stephanie on when she came up with the idea? I'd like to know so I can stay far, far, far away from it.

Swore I wouldn't read this series but...never say never kids. I saw the movie (a complete cheesefest...only saw it cause I think Robert Pattinson is gorgeous :ph34r: ) Anyway, I figured since I was going to be watching all the movies I'd better read the books cause the books are always better, right? WRONG!

It has been the most painful experience in recent years. It's so poorly written, the characters are unbelievably boring and the plot is all over the place. If you decide to read it keep in mind it is intended for a younger audience. If you can accept that then go for it. Personally, there is no reason it should have been 4 books. She could have told the story in 2 books. Books 2 & 3 are the worst.

Now that I'm done I better pick up a copy of "War And Peace" or something...get the brain going again... :D

I thought the movie ranked right down there with one of the worst movies ever.

Haven't read the books and have no desire to read that crap anyway.

I prefer to read real literature.

Yes, i admit it. My shrink said that it's ok to express things(lol).

Anyway, my kids(and wife) have finally MADE me watch the movie. Now they are adament that i read the books from Stephenie Meyer. This is humiliating for me....teen angst and vampires are not my thing at this point.

Soooo, anybody have any advise? Are the books readable? The movie i found to be.....errrrrr, amusing? I might even watch it again(GASP).

It's ok man. It wasn't your choice. I personally haven't seen the moive and never will. My sister and her freinds are extremely obsessed about it and have read every book, have shirts, posters, etc. It scraes the crap out of me to say the least. But I have some realy good freinds that are girls who cannont stand the books or the movie either.

The same thing happened to me, my sister made me watch it, personally I think that the whole thing is rubbish!

I'm sorry but a vampire that GLITTERS They are meant to burst into flames!

Why does a vampire want to go to school.

Vampires are supposed to be cold blooded and evil not fall in love!

In the second or third book there is a warewolf but the warewolf can decide when he turns into one-NO THEY HAVE NO CHOICE IT'S WHEN THE MOON IS FULL!!!!!

But then again, just my opinion.

Exactly!! What's worse is now people (well, some of them) don't believe in real vampires anymore! "No, vampires don't explode, they glitter..." And I want to strangle someone.

I have to admit that I did read them, because when I read them they were some cool kinda underground Goth thing. Then they got popular. <_<

I wouldn't watch the movie for a million dollars.

(Well, maybe I would...more money to buy useless Zep stuff!!)

Exactly!! What's worse is now people (well, some of them) don't believe in real vampires anymore! "No, vampires don't explode, they glitter..." And I want to strangle someone.

I have to admit that I did read them, because when I read them they were some cool kinda underground Goth thing. Then they got popular. <_<

I wouldn't watch the movie for a million dollars.

(Well, maybe I would...more money to buy useless Zep stuff!!)

Where does the idea of vampires exploding come from--that's not in these books too, is it? :o

Where does the idea of vampires exploding come from--that's not in these books too, is it? :o

Actually, the idea is quite old.

Back in the days when belief in the vampire was real enough to lead whole societies into hunting them and desecrating dead bodies they thought were vampires, obviously lots of bodies were stabbed with wooden stakes. Well, often, stakings resulted in dramatic explosions of organic material from the corpse. To them, of course, this suggested a supernatural phenomena, but more then likely it was a result of the build-up of fluids, natural gas, and other such things that the body endures after death.

The first time I had seen the idea of a vampire "exploding" after being staked or while in the sun was in Buffy. I thought it was a Joss Whedon creation, but he apparently just popularized one of the less known vampire myths from way back when.

I know a few girls who are mad on this shit for a reason I'll never fathom. Meyer's has openly said that she used Jane Eyre's Rochester as inspiration for Edward Cullen. I can't think of anything more blasphemous. She even ripped off his first name, for God's sake.

Rather bizarrely, my aunt bought me the second book for Christmas. I'm 23 and I'd never even expressed a desire to watch/read the first one. So, naturally, it stands to reason that if I want to read the second one, I'll have to read the first one. So, not only did I get the second installment of a book I had no interest in, I actually had to buy the first book in case I ever wanted to read the second one. Neither appeal to me.

She's obviously capitalized on the whole Harry Potteresque 'universe', probably realising that they only 'people' to never feature in the books were vampires. In my opinion, Twilight seems a bit like Harry Potter fanfiction, albeit was an 'alternate universe'.

Back in the days when belief in the vampire was real enough to lead whole societies into hunting them and desecrating dead bodies they thought were vampires, obviously lots of bodies were stabbed with wooden stakes. Well, often, stakings resulted in dramatic explosions of organic material from the corpse. To them, of course, this suggested a supernatural phenomena, but more then likely it was a result of the build-up of fluids, natural gas, and other such things that the body endures after death.

The first time I had seen the idea of a vampire "exploding" after being staked or while in the sun was in Buffy. I thought it was a Joss Whedon creation, but he apparently just popularized one of the less known vampire myths from way back when.

Thanks, Nathan! I never knew it was based on uh...er....."facts" :smileyquote: I suppose

Damn Twilight.What do people see in that peace of crap?

I watched first ten minutes of film and was bored bored BORED.

I read the first page and closed the book immediately.

Poorly written book.No comments.

Well, I gotta admit this is a new one on me, and I thought I'd read a bunch of stuff about vampires (not fiction). Where can I read more about this?

Well, I gotta admit this is a new one on me, and I thought I'd read a bunch of stuff about vampires (not fiction). Where can I read more about this?

To be honest with I'm not completely sure. I just know that I looked it up after seeing an episode of Buffy. It might've been Wikipedia, or it might've been a library book or something. I can try and find some books that might have something in them.

That's just what I remember reading when I looked it up.

I do... somewhat.

Actually, I think Joss Whedon stuck pretty well to the lore. Obviously Angel and Spike were different, but then they also had souls (Angel from the beginning, Spike near the end of Buffy and for most of Angel). But, in general, I think Joss got it right. His shows weren't perfect, for sure. There were a lot of things about both shows I hated. But in the end, they were pretty good, I think...

However, I think it's Twilight that absolutely murders the idea of vampires. WTF was Stephanie on when she came up with the idea? I'd like to know so I can stay far, far, far away from it.

Thank you :) someone else likes it (even just a bit) :)

• 3 years later...

Archived