Do you like their later albums?

Yeah Reg, Jimmy and Bonzo were set on the idea that the followup to ITTOD be harder edged. But one must wonder what input Plant and Jones would've had. They were clearly moving in new directions. So it begs the question, could Page and Bonham strongarm them? Or would Moonlight in Samosa just have had bigger drums? ;)

The mystery contiues......

Percy and Jonesy would have had their time in the sun, no doubt writing and arranging.

Look at their solo stuff, Outrider, ALL of Roberts and Zooma etc were quite capable of being "Zeppelinised".

Whatever, it would have been interesting at least and great at best!

And all hinged on the man who's birthday we are still honoring up and over here. I can totally see potential future in songs like Slow Dancer or Like I've Never Been Gone. Big Cozy Powell drums! Mix that with Deathwish II and who knows? We'll never know.

I'm sorry but it's beyond my comprehension why people can't see the greatness in PG and Presence.

I don't think Presence is as 'great' as Physical Grafitti. It's not at the same level in my opinion.

If any of you don't get "grown up" Led Zeppelin, I can't help you.

'Grown up'?

So the early albums are child LZ? Or adolescent LZ? :D

That's The Way is more ''grown up'' than Hot Dog, I would say. :P

I don't think Presence is as 'great' as Physical Grafitti. It's not at the same level in my opinion.

It's all subjective what appeals to us more but I never think of their albums on any sort of "level." They're all great in their own unique way. They weren't interested in making another Stairway to Heaven or Whole Lotta Love. It was all about pushing the envelope. Turning left when everyone was turning right etc. That's what made them a cut above the rest.

2-4 are some of my favourites by anyone, 1 was very good, HOTH was very good, but after that it just lost some of the magic. Would you listen to them much if you didn't know it was Zeppelin?

:huh: I don't get that at all.

The later albums are as good if not better. I would listen to them if they were by Britney Spears.

What a weird question.

I do like. Especially Physical Graffiti, which is a great album in my opinion, and Houses Of The Holy. Presence and In Through The Out Door are also good albums. Coda is not so good but it's an OK album, I can listen to it.

It's all subjective what appeals to us more but I never think of their albums on any sort of "level." They're all great in their own unique way.

Yeah but the general consensus would be that Physical Grafitti is a greater album than Presence. You look at any list of great albums and PG would come there before Presence so a lot of people think the way I do. :D

Even though I like Presence I think the songs on PG are consistently of a higher level, just as I think those on LZ IV are consistently of a higher level to ITTOD.

If I were to make a limited compilation of my favourite LZ songs, the last two albums (I don't count Coda) wouldn't have as many songs taken from them as LZ 1 through to PG. In fact if I could only have 20 songs I don't think I would pick any from Presence or ITTOD. :o

They weren't interested in making another Stairway to Heaven or Whole Lotta Love. It was all about pushing the envelope. Turning left when everyone was turning right etc. That's what made them a cut above the rest.

Yeah, and that's why I love PG. There aren't any STH or WLL copies on there. The Rover doesn't even sound like it's the same band as the band that recorded WLL. In my opinion, PG was their absolute zenith and they were never 'as good' as that in the following years.

I don't understand people who say they were at the same level throughout their time as a band. They clearly (to me) weren't. That goes for live performances as well. But that's nothing terrible. Most bands are the same in that respect.

Presence and LZ III are my favorite LZ albuns. :)

Really, I think that LZ has never recorded anything as Presence. It's the band at its very best.

o man, I don't think they lost any magic, they just lost their youth. Presence & In

Through the Out Door are killer albums! A song like Carouselambra shows they just kept moving ahead as always without lacking any original magic! ;)

2-4 are some of my favourites by anyone, 1 was very good, HOTH was very good, but after that it just lost some of the magic. Would you listen to them much if you didn't know it was Zeppelin?

ya man...there later albums kicked ass...i know what you mean though as in magic was lost. maybe they just forgot how to remain head strong or something. a lot of turn of events happened to the band during their later years.

I still wonder if jimmy purposely made his guitar cry in Achilles last stand.

ya man...there later albums kicked ass...i know what you mean though as in magic was lost. maybe they just forgot how to remain head strong or something. a lot of turn of events happened to the band during their later years.

I still wonder if jimmy purposely made his guitar cry in Achilles last stand.

Their sound changed over the years but I still don't see how that equates to their magic being lost.

Any music that has any of these gentlemen is better than any other music. I fell in love with Zep when I was 9 years old and have never looked back. There is NO other band that can even compare to the talent, passion that these men brought to music. Sometimes I wish it was the 1970's again all over. This kind of talent only comes along once in a lifetime and I am so glad it was my generation that reaped the benefits of having Zeppelin around during these formattable years. How lucky were we. So, yes, while the later albums to some may seem not as powerful, I would rather listen to anything that has the talent of any member of the best band of all times.

I'v never actually been too keen on HOTH personally, OTHAFA, TRS and NQ are great but elsewhere I thought it sounded rather over produced. TO, DD and TSRTS just didnt have the kick they needed IMHO while the Crunge was spoiled by those cheesey keyboards, all of them sounded alot better live for me.

Presence wasnt as strong a set of songs as RO and CSR were both fillish to me(I'd guess because Plants injurty forced them into making the albums earlier than Page would have liked) but benefits from superior production. Great hard sound and TFO is turned from a redo of SIBLY into something new largely by the atmosphere the production creates IMHO.

Absolutely! Presence in many respects, is my favorite album they did. I like the fact their later stuff sounded different. Shows how they grew and were interested in developing and expanding their sound :)

Excellent description of my feelings. I do believe they reached the top of the mountain with Physical Graffiti but Presence is a very solid album. They DID develop and they did what Zeppelin was and is still known for and that is changing up their sound. Bonham has some sick drum fills on the later albums(P, ITTOD, Coda). Do i prefer Zep I through PG a little more? Yes, but that in no way demeans the music they put out near the end.

Archived