Do you like their later albums?

I would suggest it edges towards the former.

Well I wouldn't say they were desperate but for sure (in my opinion) TFO was a sign they had already reached their creative peak and were now slipping from it.

Don't get me wrong. I do Like TFO but it's nowhere near the classic that SIBLY is.

I like your opinion and it's cool.

I do think though that if you were to ask the Zep members themselves they would rate SIBLY over TFO. The inclusion of SIBLY and exclusion of TFO on compilations like Remasters and Mothership just go to show this.

I just don't think they thought so hard about it at the time. We sort it and suss it in hindsight. They were just doin the job, right?

And in so posting, I have to disagree with myself. Damn!

Led Zeppelin III was considered a "masterpiece" by everyone who was into the band in 1970 except the critics and the media who think they know everything.

SIBLY is probably better in the sense it was first but musically they are technologically worlds apart.

Given the studio techniques and equipment that Jimmy was instrumental in the development of and SIBLY recorded at Headley Grange while T41 was recorded in Munich Germany.

I've read that Jimmy wanted to call the album Thanksgiving and was rejected for Presence.

SIBLY was as far as I'm concerned, the first "White Blues" classic (The Beatles released Yer Blues on The White Album in 1968 but it's nowhere near any of Zep's blues) and T41 is on par and as I've said before part of the "Zeppelin Blues Trilogy" along with IGC.

As for missing out on compilation / best of albums where do you start and where do you stop?

The Rain Song failed to make Mothership because it wasn't as good as Stairway?

I think not.

IMO they could release all the albums as one greatest hits package and one of the first songs I'd listen to would be T41.

There you go Reg. Page chose D'yer Maker for Mothership, yet they played Rain Song how many more times?

I don't know if they ever played it live?

You're right though, when I listen to HOTH and D'yer Maker comes on it always raises a smile a bit of fun (some of us get the joke eh Ev?), but it's business as usual for Bonzo and it forms an integral part of the "treasure" you alluded to earlier.

I agree that they are stylistically very different but it's quite obvious that Zep III is one of the biggest risks the band ever took. With the first two albums they had established themselves as a hard rock band, the loudest band around and they had barely been around two years. Then suddenly they release a folk album! It got a bashing by the critics and its sales weren't as strong but it proved that Zep were much more than just heavy blues. It's now considered a masterpiece.

Zep IV was also very risky in terms of the album cover, which had no title and no mention of the band whatsoever. Houses Of The Holy also, with its dabblings of reggae and James Brown funk.

It's fine that people really love Presence but to claim that it is in some way 'risky' or more 'experimental' than previous albums is nonsense and does their early albums a huge disservice. Zep were taking risks right from the beginning.

That's it - they took risks from the beginning right up until their last recording. They did things on their terms, the way they wanted to, always pushing the musical envelope and not wanting to rest on any past success. So while I do see what Mangani is saying about doing a more acoustic based third album after how the first two sounded is risky, they really did take risks right the way through.

I really like Robert's voice on Presence. There is a raspy, almost desperate quality - maybe because he was in pain during the recording - and I like it when he sings in a lower register. Presence and PG are the only albums that my boyfriend will listen to, since they haven't been played to death on the radio.

I really like Robert's voice on Presence. There is a raspy, almost desperate quality - maybe because he was in pain during the recording - and I like it when he sings in a lower register. Presence and PG are the only albums that my boyfriend will listen to, since they haven't been played to death on the radio.

How's it going "BlackandGold?" Robert was in pain as a result of the car crash and the injuries that he sustained from it. Robert was in a wheelchair the whole time when the PRESENCE album was recorded. ROCK ON!

I have lost all hope in other Led Zeppelin fans because they are so dense.

Hmm ... well, I was just posting what Mr. Page said in an interview. And for your sake, I like "Tea For One" much more than "Since I've Been Loving You."

Archived