GRACE POTTER working w/T-Bone Burnett

ZPN

I LOVE Grace Potter (& the Nocturnals). My favorite release of hers is a DVD

called "Bringin' It Home Live". On that she reminds me of Robert Plant-in paisley shirt & jeans, w/long hair, shakin' a tambourine :hippy: When she sings I also see something similar in her face-the way she goes to another plane, or "in the zone", or whatever you want to call it. She also plays keyboards & guitar, and I think she's a great songwriter. To me she's like the musical love child of Robert Plant & Lucinda Williams, with a little Etta James on the side. I haven't seen her live but I hope to someday. She'd make a great double bill w/Robert, or w/my favorite songwriter-John Hiatt.

I just got GP's email newsletter & in case anyone's interested I'll just copy the whole thing below. Grace mentions she's working w/T-Bone, and that she has a new bass player, Catherine Popper. I'm wondering if Catherine is the incredible bassist that played w/Jeff Beck at the Crossroads Festival?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals <gpn@indie911.com>

Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Happy Summer, weary hibernators! As the Green Mountain flora and fauna hits peak bloom in the early summer, so shall the Nocturnals crawl out of hiding to flourish for you all again!

It has been a particularly long hibernation for us in these past 5 months. But don't think that we've just been quietly slumbering our way through the winter! We spent a good part of the New Year writing, collaborating and recording demos for the new album. In early March, T Bone Burnett jumped on board as producer of the forthcoming project; a development that has launched our musical prospects into the stratosphere!! T Bone is a storyteller, a seeker of pure sound, who has produced albums with Robert Plant & Allison Krauss, The Wallflowers, and supervised the music for Walk the Line, O Brother Where Art Thou? and The Big Lebowski. The month of March was, however bittersweet. In the same month, we parted ways with our friend, and bass player of almost 5 years, Bryan Dondero. He will always be remembered and we wish him every happiness. With this change, we felt it was important to seize the opportunity to rethink the overall anatomy of the band.

With great excitement, we will be climbing onto the bus this week with two new Nocturnals: Bassist Catherine Popper and guitarist Benny Yurco. Catherine is, by all definitions, a "Cat". She has played with legends like Levon Helm, Micheal Stipe, Willie Nelson, Dr. John, Norah Jones and Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. She has wowed crowds with her solid style and her uncanny stage prowess and we are over the moon to have one of our longtime musical crushes joining our band of merry...people! In the spirit of merriment, our longtime friend Benny Yurco has also accepted the charge of 'sonic filler-outer' (aka rhythm guitarist and vocalist). His killer skills and unflappable spirit will no doubt bring the band a whole new bag! We'll be pounding the rock club and festival circuit all summer and fall with stops across the country, and, no doubt to a city near you! Check below for our summer tour schedule.

CURRENT TOUR DATES (always check gracepotter.com for the latest updates - new shows are added almost weekly!)

May 28, 2009 / 8 x 10 / Baltimore, MD

May 29, 2009 / Mr. Small's Theatre / Millvale, PA

May 30, 2009 / The Dame / Lexington, KY

June 3, 2009 / The Parish @ HOB / New Orleans, LA

June 4, 2009 / Bama Jam / Enterprise, AL

June 5, 2009 / Wanee Music Festival / Live Oak, FL

June 6, 2009 / Livewire Music Hall / Savannah, GA

June 8, 2009 / Windjammer / Isle of Palms, SC

June 9, 2009 / The Handlebar / Greenville, SC

June 11, 2009 / Sundown In The City Knoxville , TN

June 12, 2009 / Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival / Manchester, TN

June 13, 2009 / Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival / Manchester, TN

June 14, 2009 / Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival / Manchester, TN

June 20, 2009 / Southern Shore Music Festival / Millville, NJ

June 21, 2009 / Great Hudson River Revival / Croton on Hudson, NY

June 25, 2009 / Alive At Five / Albany, NY

June 27, 2009 / Fort Smith Riverfront Blues Festival / Fort Smith, AR

June 28, 2009 / Neumeier's Rib Room / Fort Smith, AR

July 3, 2009 / Red, White, & Blues / Telluride, CO

July 5, 2009 / Rothbury Music Festival / Rothbury, MI

July 12, 2009 / Quadricentennial Festival / Burlington, VT

July 17, 2009 / Grand Targhee Festival / Alta, WY

July 18, 2009 / The Canyons / Park City, UT

July 24, 2009 / Floyd Fest / Floyd, VA

July 26, 2009 / Gathering of the Vibes / Bridgeport, CT

August 7, 2009 / Celebrate Brooklyn Festival / Brooklyn, NY

Notes from Grace:

5 tips for a world in recession:

DON'T BUY SHOES... Cut holes in milk cartons and walk around in them. They're super avant garde and the people who don't understand your artistic genius will give you their spare change.

TRASH YOUR CAR... if your car is filled to the brim with garbage, no one will want to ride in it with you. You can save on gas, get driven around by your friends and save yourself the daily pains of road rage.

STAY OUT OF MALLS... you know how it happens. You go in to get a phone charger, you come out with a build-it-yourself dune buggy and tickets to Celine Dion.

MAYONNAISE... it's the ultimate multi use product. Good for sandwiches, casseroles, tuna, your hair, your skin, polishing plants, polishing the floor, polishing the car, and making everything smell like a New Jersey deli.

SLEEP IN... set you alarm for 2013. You'll wake up in a new economy!

Happy Summer!

-grace

Questions? Contact Grace Potter and the Nocturnals or Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, c/o FanBridge, Inc. - 14525 SW Millikan Way, #16910, Beaverton, Oregon 97005, United States

This email message is powered by: FanBridge

Free Email and Mobile fan list management for bands.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh goody I think this lady and her band are amazing. there albums are top form rock and roll music. even the youtube.com vid`s of the band or Grace jamming with other musicians , like Warren Haynes ... what a great band to add to your collections.

Archived