Happy Birthday Bonzo

It's definitely bittersweet, but Evster's right, this is the time to, er, beat the drum ( :P ). There was a huge thunder storm last night, and it made me smile as I couldn't help but think about the wild celebrations above reverberating down below, reminding us who's still got it in spades.

Happy Birthday, Bonzo, :notworthy: and thanks

Happy birthday to my favorite member of Zeppelin! I bet he still would be rockin' out at 61! We all miss you, Bonzo! D:

I'm such a nerd, I made a t-shirt to honor his birth and I just finished playing my drums for two hours straight :D

Damn, Happy birthday again, Bonzo. If it wasn't for you, Led Zeppelin wouldn't be half as good and I'd have no inspiration for my drumming. I thank you.

RIP BONZO!

*Checks watch*

Oh, it's you Reg! Cheers mate!! :D

Dear Bonzo,

Never met, but I'll never forget. Music wouldn't be the same without your contribution. You never really got how awesome you were. Well, we got it. It wouldn't have been the greatest rock and roll band of all time without you!

Pat, Deb, Jason, and fans, I raise a virtual toast with you. To "Our John" (whether by family, by friend, or mate by way of adoption)! ;)

Cheers Bonzo!!

Where's my beer smiley? :'(

Hi EV, wheres you been mate, you are sorely missed on here, to you, :beer:

To JB and family, thanks for everything, you'll never be forgotten, :beer:

BonhamisGOD.jpg

JOHNBONHAM.jpg

Our Percussionist, on Drums, John Bonham, Moby Dick, Dick, Dick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PXFJsPMvc

130 pounds of Glory, John Bonham, John Bonham, John Bonham. :drumz:

Regards, Danny

*Checks watch*

Oh, it's you Reg! Cheers mate!! :D

Dear Bonzo,

Never met, but I'll never forget. Music wouldn't be the same without your contribution. You never really got how awesome you were. Well, we got it. It wouldn't have been the greatest rock and roll band of all time without you!

Pat, Deb, Jason, and fans, I raise a virtual toast with you. To "Our John" (whether by family, by friend, or mate by way of adoption)! ;)

Cheers Bonzo!!

Where's my beer smiley? :'(

[/quo

That's BEAUTIFUL man!

I couldn't of said it better. :thanku:

Celebrate, my friend! This is his BIRTHDAY! We can share our sadness in late September. I'll be right there with you! But today it's fucking John Bonham all the way! ;)

You're absolutely right, as usual. Bonzo's passing is a very touchy subject for me but i should have replied appropriately.

I rightfully was "out on the tiles enjoying a pint of bitter" last night in honor of the Old Dane himself.

Now to celebrate the man the best way I know how..

A one..

anna a two..

anna a three...

anna a fooouurrrrrrr!

So it IS today? This thread was getting me confused and thinking it must have been yesterday.

But it wasn't, so--all the best, Bonzo, and have a pint of the old ambrosial nectar today for us, we're all thinking of you! :beer:

the original poster, reggie lives in australia. we are a day ahead.

WOW! 29 years ago! I can remember driving over to pick up some of the guy's I was jamming with at that time when the DJ said, "John Henry Bonham, dead at 32"! It was late afternoon or early evening, I couldn't believe it at first, but it soon sank in. One of the three big influences on my young (I was 17 in 1980) musical mind was gone and the band he was in it seems will surly split.

It wasn't long after that when I changed bands and started playing a lot more Led Zeppelin song's, we still played other cover's but there was almost a whole set worth of Bonzo laden tune's by the time we started getting thing's organized a few years later.

I'd like to take a moment to say thanks to all who helped this now departed man on his way to the rank's of being a world wide talent and provide him and his band the means to play for us all to enjoy.

Thanks to all the drummers who see that he was ahead of his own time and the one's who are just Bonzo lover's who together, help keep the beat going on for ever!

John's kit's acording to Wiki

Drums

Pre Led Zeppelin Kit (?-'68), Ludwig Super Classic Green Sparkle

Bass Drum 22"x14"

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Rack Tom 13"x9"

Supraphonic Snare 14"x5"

Led Zeppelin Kit ('68/Tour U.S.A), Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl

Bass Drum 26"x14"

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

Rack Tom 13"x9"

Snare 20's/30's COB Tube Lug

Ludwig Representation kit, Ludwig Thermo Gloss Natural Maple (1969-'70)[15]

Bass Drum 26"x14"

Tom 14"x12" (Mounted on a snare stand, and then later a Rogers Swivomatic Mount was added.)

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

14"x6.5" Chrome Supraphonic 402 Series Snare

Twin Congas Ludwig 12"

Cowbell Ludwig Gold Tone

Studio and live Kit ('70 - '73) (Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV, Houses of the Holy), Ludwig Green Sparkle

Bass Drum 26"x14" (Also had an extra bass drum which was kept as a spare)

Rack Tom 14"x10" on Rail Consolette mount.

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

Ludwig 29" Machine Timpani (1972+)

Ludwig 32" Universal Timpani (1972+)

John was known for telling the band that the Green Sparkle kit was his favourite and Best sounding kit, and it was used on all recordings from IV onwards, excluding Presence where he used the Silver Sparkle kit.

The Song Remains The Same Kit ('73), Ludwig Amber Vistalite[16]

Bass Drum 26"x14" (Spare bass drum kept, as these drums were renowned for cracking)

Rack Tom 14"x10"

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

Ludwig 29" Timpani

Ludwig 30" Timpani

Studio Kit ('75) Ludwig Sparkle Silver Finish

Bass Drum 26"x14"

Rack Tom 15"x12"

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

Ludwig 29" Timpani

Ludwig 30" Timpani

Final Touring Kit ('77-'80), Ludwig Stainless Steel

Bass Drum 26"x14"

Tom 15"x 12" Mounted on Bass Drum with a Ludwig Rocker Tom Mount, because his usual rail mount couldn't fit a 12" deep tom on the Bass Drum. (Changed to a 14"x10" Stainless Steel tom with classic lugs for the Europe tour of 1980)

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

Cymbals

John Bonham played Paiste cymbals. He used Paiste Giant Beat cymbals until 1975. The Paiste Endorsement Agreement shows he experimented with cymbals including the 602 series before changing to a complete set of what is now the 2002 series in '75, which he used for the rest of his career. His setup:

During the time his setup consisted solely of giant beat cymbals (1968 - 1971):

15" Paiste Giant Beat Hi-Hat

18" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride (On Left)

20" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride

24" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride

38" Paiste Symphonic Gong

During the time his setup was mixed between Giant Beat and 2002 cymbals (1971 - 1975):

15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hat

18" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride [switched to 18" 2002 Medium 1973](On Left)

20" Paiste 2002 Medium

24" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride

During the time his setup consisted solely of 2002 cymbals (1975 - 1980):

15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hat

18" Paiste 2002 Medium (On Left)

18" Paiste 2002 Crash

20" Paiste 2002 Medium Ride (Formula 602)

24" Paiste 2002 Ride

Sometimes a 16" Paiste 2002 Medium under, and to the right of his 20" (as seen in Knebworth 1979)

Drum Heads

For his wood drums, Bonham always used Remo coated emperors (or Ludwig equivalent) on all of his batter sides, while using coated ambassadors on the resonant side of his toms, and a diplomat or clear ambassador on the resonant side of his snare drum. The bass drums front head was always a medium weight head, for instance remo coated ambassador. The batter head was always tuned medium-tight, (almost jazz like) and the resonate head was always tuned way up, for a nice, full, round sound. He never put pillows or other laundry in the bass drum. He only used a felt strip on the batter side from time to time. The bass drum heads were also tuned a lot higher than one would think. Some have claimed he used to make "Ritchie Rings" cut out of old drum heads for his front bass drum head, but this anomaly is simply the surrounding light producing a shadow from the hoop on the white drum head producing the ring effect (you can produce the same effect with a front bass drum head, as long as the head is coated).[citation needed]

On the vistalites he used Remo CS black dots on the batter side of the toms and the bass drum and clear ambassadors on the resonate side. The snare always had a coated emperor on the batter side and an ambassador or a diplomat on the snare side. He sometimes used a Gretsch 42-strand snare wires to fatten the snare sound.

Bass Drum Pedal

Bonham used Ludwig Speed King Pedals (with tight spring tension) throughout his career. His trademark bass drum "triplets," most notable in "Good Times Bad Times", were done with a single bass pedal, and not a double bass pedal. Unlike some contemporary drummers, Bonham did not use a double-bass drum kit. He did once own one (it was featured in the demo "Communication Breakdown"), but removed it from his kit when the rest of the band decided it was drowning everything else out.

Bass Drum 26"x14"

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

Rack Tom 13"x9"

John was known for telling the band that the Green Sparkle kit was his favourite and Best sounding kit, and it was used on all recordings from IV onwards, excluding Presence where he used the Silver Sparkle kit.

Some have suggested Bonzo used "Ritchie Rings" cut out of old drum heads for his front bass drum head, but this anomaly is simply the surrounding light producing a shadow from the hoop on the white drum head producing the ring effect (you can produce the same effect with a front bass drum head, as long as the head is coated).[citation needed]

I have a photo of Zeppelin at the Whiskey, and although the kit is a Black Diamond Pearl finish, it does not have a 26" bass drum. But this may possibly be borrowed gear. (also interesting is how loud the 22" STILL sounds on the "Whiskey" boot - a testament to Bonzo) also- Gotta be the Vistalite kit on "In My Time of Dying", I'd bet my life on it. Or at least a pitcher of beer. And he DEFINITELY used a type of "Ritchie ring" on his bass drums, it's not a reflection, there are some pictures where it is very clear.

But nitpicking aside - God love ya, John Henry, they'll be talking about you forever. Happy Birthday!

Bass Drum 26"x14"

Floor Tom 16"x16"

Floor Tom 18"x16"

Rack Tom 13"x9"

Some have suggested Bonzo used "Ritchie Rings" cut out of old drum heads for his front bass drum head, but this anomaly is simply the surrounding light producing a shadow from the hoop on the white drum head producing the ring effect (you can produce the same effect with a front bass drum head, as long as the head is coated).[citation needed]

I have a photo of Zeppelin at the Whiskey, and although the kit is a Black Diamond Pearl finish, it does not have a 26" bass drum. But this may possibly be borrowed gear. (also interesting is how loud the 22" STILL sounds on the "Whiskey" boot - a testament to Bonzo) also- Gotta be the Vistalite kit on "In My Time of Dying", I'd bet my life on it. Or at least a pitcher of beer. And he DEFINITELY used a type of "Ritchie ring" on his bass drums, it's not a reflection, there are some pictures where it is very clear.

But nitpicking aside - God love ya, John Henry, they'll be talking about you forever. Happy Birthday!

Yeah, I know, but it is Wiki so I don't take it all to the full honest to god's truth! I've found a few pictures of him in 1968 playing a set of marine white skins to.

Archived