Bonzo's best

Considering its Bonzo's birthday I was wondering what other people thought of what were his best shows.

I really like his drumming during the June 72. although it wasn't as spontaneous as the 77 tour it was just really solid and i love listening to all the covers during the medleys.

Just for his strength i gotta say 6/21/77 as well. No one will ever be able to do what he played on The Song Remains The Same.

But my favorite versions of Moby dick are from the summer 71 tour and in Japan of the same year. No synthesizers but it is just great to listen to because of how inventive he was at the time. Very exciting solos.

I, too, think Bonzo was stellar in March 1973. I don't often agree with Luis Rey, the author of the bootleg reference book LIVE, but his assessment that the drumming was so inventive and rocking during that German tour was because of the absence of Moby Dick from the setlist makes perfect sense (to me anyway). Apparently Bonham didn't much care about soloing for fifteen or twenty minutes at a whack, even though Moby Dick received the loudest and longest applause at many concerts. But it was back in the show for the American tour a month later.

Had the topic been best studio drumming I think some of Bonzo's most inspired work is during the first minute of How Many More Times.

I have a show from '69 with a "Pat's Delight" that would absolutely blow anyone's mind! Sadly, all my discs are in storage in California, so I can't give you the date. Sorry. But yeah, it's staggering!

All of 06-21-77. Especially the first two songs and again randomly throughout other songs, especially No Quarter.

Others that stood out to me are certain 73 shows, (BBP, Seattle, etc), HTWWW (could be due to how good they did the drum mixing), and Orlando 71.

Tough question! Can I pick all of 'em? I do know there's an excellent Moby Dick on that Raleigh 1970 show. And listen to the end of Moby Dick from Aug 22 1971 LA Forum, the crowd goes nuts when the band come back in and cheer all the way to the end of the song, just an amazing response.

And I do love that 9-29-71 gig too, just to hear those green drums so clearly, awesome. Also, Plant, on his disappearance: "Everyone, "Mista Bonham, Mista Bonham" haha, classic

Archived