Jimmy Page with Cartoone Deluxe CD Release

Cartoone

Brand new CD Release by Friday Music with 8 NEW Unreleased tracks Feat Jimmy Page. And stories about Cartoone's USA tour supporting Led Zeppelin included in the liner notes. Definately worth having just for that.

NEW RELEASE- Tuesday 2ND JUNE 09

Cartoone Deluxe CD on Friday Music

Buy Cartoone CD Feat:- Jimmy Page ( Led Zeppelin )

Original album remastered with 8 new unreleased bonus tracks

New Booklet with new Liner Notes, Stories of USA Tour and Photos from the Band included

www.fridaymusic.com

Have a great week.

Cartoone

went to check out Cartoone on youtube, as I do when I want to find out what the artist(s) like, and got: "No videos found for "Cartoone" + Jimmy Page”. I've seen the Cartoone LP in the Zep section and have been curious. If you have any mp3 links, your welcome to share them.

went to check out Cartoone on youtube, as I do when I want to find out what the artist(s) like, and got: "No videos found for "Cartoone" + Jimmy Page". I've seen the Cartoone LP in the Zep section and have been curious. If you have any mp3 links, your welcome to share them.

Here is the Amazon MP3 site

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoone/dp/B00260R5XM/ref=mb_oe_o

It does not sound like anything I'll be paying for with top dollar.

From their MySpace page: "Cartoone were a Scottish band formed in 1967, and discovered by LULU and her manager Marion Massey, their 1st album featured the one and only Jimmy Page ( Led Zeppelin) as Guest Artist on all tracks, with his trusty old Fender Telecaster and his Gibson Custom Acoustic guitar.The album was released on Atlantic Records in 1969."

From Wikipedia - the last paragraph is interesting

History

Cartoone were formed in 1967 from a band called The Chevlons. Cartoone toured all over Scotland in support of many top bands such as The Tremeloes, The Merseybeats and The Hollies.

In 1968 the band moved to London in hopes of landing a recording contract. Through singer Lulu they contacted songwriter Mark London (husband of Lulu's manager Marion Massey) and showed him some of the songs they had written. London was impressed with the band and their songs and took them into a recording studio the next day to record 4 songs with just acoustic guitars. London then took those songs to Ahmet Ertegün and Jerry Wexler of Atlantic Records, who subsequently signed Cartoone to a two album deal. They were the first British rock band to sign with Atlantic, predating Led Zeppelin by several months.

The self-titled debut album -- featuring Jimmy Page on guitar for several tracks -- was released on Atlantic Records in January 1969. Cartoone appeared on BBC TV on It's Happening for Lulu (12 Dec 1968) and Top of the Pops (16th Jan 1969) performing "Penny for the Sun".

In April 1969 Cartoone went to the USA to support Led Zeppelin on tour. However, the Led Zeppelin audience didn't appreciate the soft melodic sound of Cartoone in their support slot with Zeppelin. Consequently the album didn't sell as well as expected. After the tour Atlantic Records dropped the band and refused to release their second album Reflections', which featured Leslie Harvey on guitar.

As long as we're on the topic...

They recorded their first album, the eponymous 'Cartoone', with Jimmy Page as guest artist on all tracks, using his Telecaster and Gibson custom acoustic. Zeppelin were recording their debut album at the same time. The link to Jimmy was through Mark's mate and Zepps manager Peter Grant. But don't expect a guitar fest. This is an understated collection of songs and Page's contribution is necessarily complimentary. He's firmly in session man mode.

Shortly after returning to the UK it was time to be off to the States again for an Apr-Jun '69 tour supporting Led Zeppelin ... Mark London brought in Les Harvey, who put Stone The Crows on hold, to play the tour. Les also guest-ed on Cartoone's unreleased 2nd album 'Reflections' as again did Jimmy Page.

Source: http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/cartoone.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for all your comments on our music( good and bad ) We obviously liked Swandown's comment best as he called our album an " Underrated Gem".

Don't forget, we are NOT Led Zeppelin, nor are we trying to be. This album was recorded in 1968 and released in 1969. It features Jimmy Page on ALL tracks ( firmly inn session man mode ) we are enormously proud of that fact.

The only track you can really hear Jimmy soloing is on Let Me Reassure You where he uses a wah -wah pedal which was "NEW" at the time and he does some lovely licks on the fadeout of the track.

This new release of the Cartoone Deluxe CD on Friday Music is a collectors gem, and it is ALL the recorded songs that Cartoone did. So it's worth having as a piece of rock history, as our singer Derek Creigan sadly passed away.

So there unfortunately won't ever be a Cartoone reunion tour or recording. This CD is it I'm afraid, our music is a grower and takes time to get the songs into your head, but once they are there you will never forget them.

The liner notes and photos of the band are great, and there are stories about the USA tour with Led Zeppelin at the back of the CD case.

So why not give the CD a chance, for only $10.98 for 21 tracks it's a bargain.

Touring with Led Zeppelin was the most awesome experience of our lives, we got to see them up close and personal, and were witness to the phenomenum that happened around them in 1969 when they broke America.

They were a "One-Off" unique in every way, as Jimmy said "They were a band sent from heaven", nobody has come close to them then or ever since. That's why we are all craving for them to reform with Jason Bonham on drums and do a tour.

All the best

Cartoone

i hope the cd release goes well for you guys.

so fortunate that you got to tour with the zep, it must have been a truly amazing experience, i can't even imagine.

we would love to hear some stories about your time with them, if you would like to share.

Got my CD in the mail a couple days ago. I like it a lot. The original album sounds so much better than my old LP. There is an obvious decrease in sound quality on the previously-unreleased songs, but that is understandable considering the fact that they're sourced from an old acetate.

Some of the unreleased songs are quite good, and you can tell that the band is progressing musically. (If I didn't know better, I'd swear that "Reflections" was a Bob Dylan song.) And that's Leslie Harvey doing the guitar solos on "Come And Sit By Me", right? I like the groove on that song, especially the drums.

Also, you mentioned that the CD contains all the songs that Cartoone recorded......however, there is an Atlantic Records database which lists 2 other songs that are not on this CD -- "Lazy Man" and "Paper Spade". Do you know anything about them?

Anyway, congrats on finally getting your album released on CD after all these years.

i hope the cd release goes well for you guys.

so fortunate that you got to tour with the zep, it must have been a truly amazing experience, i can't even imagine.

we would love to hear some stories about your time with them, if you would like to share.

Thanks, we did have an amazing time on the Zeppelin USA Tour, and we did share it with everyone on our new Cartoone Deluxe Edition CD. www.fridaymusic.com

So please can we ask you to buy the CD and read our stories of the tour.

Got my CD in the mail a couple days ago. I like it a lot. The original album sounds so much better than my old LP. There is an obvious decrease in sound quality on the previously-unreleased songs, but that is understandable considering the fact that they're sourced from an old acetate.

Some of the unreleased songs are quite good, and you can tell that the band is progressing musically. (If I didn't know better, I'd swear that "Reflections" was a Bob Dylan song.) And that's Leslie Harvey doing the guitar solos on "Come And Sit By Me", right? I like the groove on that song, especially the drums.

Also, you mentioned that the CD contains all the songs that Cartoone recorded......however, there is an Atlantic Records database which lists 2 other songs that are not on this CD -- "Lazy Man" and "Paper Spade". Do you know anything about them?

Anyway, congrats on finally getting your album released on CD after all these years.

Swandown,

Thank you so much for buying our new CD, we really appreciate the good comments as well.

Regarding the two tracks Lazy Man and Paper Spade these tracks were unplayable on the old acetate, so unless we find the original master tape, unfortunately there is no chance of ever hearing those songs again.

Thanks to ALL you Jimmy Page fans who are buying the Cartoone Deluxe Edition CD at Friday Music.

www.fridaymusic.com

We really appreciate your support and send a big THANK YOU to everybody who is spending their hard earned dollars buying it.

We are proud to say that Cartoone and Led Zeppelin will always be linked, as Jimmy Page played on our album, and we toured USA with Led Zeppelin in 1969. We hope you enjoy reading the stories on the CD cover.

May the music of Cartoone and Led Zeppelin live on forever.

Led Zeppeiln are and always will be the BEST Band on the planet.

Love and best wishes to all Led Zepp fans.

Cartoone

Too funny, I just picked up a vinyl edition of this album a few months ago at Rockaway Records in Silver Lake...it was among the many items they put out for sale that they bought from that world's largest Led Zeppelin collection. Atlantic SD 8219...Led Zep I was 8216. Paid $10 for the album.

I was wondering if there was ever a cd release of this album, and now today, my first time checking in with the Zeppelin board in months, I saw this post and couldn't believe my luck.

So now I'll be looking for the cd at Amoeba's next time I visit.

Any chance of a Cartoone reunion tour?

Too funny, I just picked up a vinyl edition of this album a few months ago at Rockaway Records in Silver Lake...it was among the many items they put out for sale that they bought from that world's largest Led Zeppelin collection. Atlantic SD 8219...Led Zep I was 8216. Paid $10 for the album.

I was wondering if there was ever a cd release of this album, and now today, my first time checking in with the Zeppelin board in months, I saw this post and couldn't believe my luck.

So now I'll be looking for the cd at Amoeba's next time I visit.

Any chance of a Cartoone reunion tour?

Strider,

Thank you so much for buying our vinyl album, we really appreciate you spending your hard earned dollars on our music.

We believe that the new remastered Cartoone Deluxe CD with (8 new unreleased tracks) is only for sale on www.fridaymusic.com

So don't think that Amoeba's will be stocking the CD, so please can we ask you to buy it at Friday Music website.

Regarding a tour, we would have loved to reform and do a tour to promote our new CD. But sadly Derek Creigan our lead singer passed away, so it will not be possible.

Best wishes

Cartoone

Well, I was in Amoeba Records(the Hollywood branch) this past Sunday and I bought the new Cartoone cd with 8 bonus tracks there...they had it for $12 new.

Strider,

First of all a BIG thanks for buying the new CD ( awesome)

Second of all, wow! fantastic news to know that record stores have our new CD on the shelves after 40 long years.

It feels great, and Derek our late great singer would have been so proud and happy to know that.

Hope you enjoy the CD Strider, and also the Led Zeppelin stories at the back of the CD case.

All the best

CARTOONE

• 1 month later...

Latest news is that Cartoone are to be interviewed on various US Radio shows to discuss their links to Led Zeppelin and their new album Cartoone Deluxe Edition CD.

Subjects to be discussed are believed to be about Jimmy Page, Peter Grant, 1969 USA Tour. It promises to be very interesting interviews.

Watch this space for more news as it happens.

Cartoone

Cartoone -

I look forward to purchasing my copy of this release tonight. Meanwhile, could you kindly confirm essential details pertaining to Jimmy's recording history with Cartoone 'cause he doesn't know:

Specific dates for his sessions with you and which songs were recorded when? I am

hoping this is annotated somewhere, if only on the mastertapes.

-------------------------------------------

An excellent Cartoone retrospective feature:

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/cartoone.htm

Archived