Have you ever met Zep hater?

_Lena_Zep

I could rant on and on about the suckyness and gayness of today's music and it's affect on the other kids, but I figure if you can't convert them, laugh at their sorry aces.

This is not to say that I wouldn't like some of my friends anymore because of their music choice, just maybe have a little less respect for them. (my opinion)

I'm not trying to say anything here, but it seems to me that, in my school at least, the kids that listen to gay music have ligitimately gayer personalities. I dunno maybe it's just me. ( I'm not using gay in the homo form, but just, you know, gay)

You might wanna dial back the 'gayness' a bit.

Okay, so you're at school, yeah? Well, when I was at school I was the only person in a year of near 200 kids who liked Zeppelin - and I'm a girl. Guys in bands wouldn't know shit about them, and would then look down on me because I did. Back then I thought I was the shit and they knew nothing about music. Now I just realise that I simply happened to like an 'old' band that drifted through my dad's record player. If I'd never heard them then, who's to say I ever would have now? Whilst I would've loved nothing more than to have someone listen to a record with me, I wasn't crying in the breast milk that no one ever did. I liked 'em; they didn't. The world keeps on turning.

Your peers aren't wrong for liking their music. The wonderful thing about taste is that it's subjective. What appeals to you could be about as appealing as a bag of shit to someone else. There's no right or wrong, and treating people like they are wrong, is, well, wrong.

And, as Aqua has stated, the '70's weren't all that, either. True, I am a child born of '85, but I have enough K-Tel compilation records in my collection (thanks, mum) to know they had some fucking awful shit going on, too. Nowadays the fucking awful shit you hear is that much more accessible to listen to (thanks, interwebz). You don't have to like it, but you shouldn't think less of people who do. And you certainly shouldn't lose respect for people. That's just asinine.

Broaden your horizon a bit and you'll see that 'modern' music doesn't equate to just Top 40/Billboard. There's plenty still out there. You just got to want to look for it.

Well, Robert, for instance is constantly going to see new bands (and doing one-off appearances with them), including many bands that would be classified as world music, like Tinariwen--he's been interviewed in world music magazines about these interests many times--as well as bands like the Black Keys. Jimmy's interests I know less about, except that he was a fan of Jack White's before they met to do that interview a couple of years ago, and Jonesy is way up there exploring avant garde music, as well as the bands that brought TCV together, the Foo Fighters (there's another one Jimmy's on the record as liking) and QOTSA. You'll notice that when they do solo projects, it's always with people from a more recent musical vintage than themselves, not people whose heritage is in the 70s. Trust me, the later 70s in particular weren't that great apart from Zep! (Disco!!)

Thanks Ill check em out.

Well, Robert, for instance is constantly going to see new bands (and doing one-off appearances with them), including many bands that would be classified as world music, like Tinariwen--he's been interviewed in world music magazines about these interests many times--as well as bands like the Black Keys. Jimmy's interests I know less about, except that he was a fan of Jack White's before they met to do that interview a couple of years ago, and Jonesy is way up there exploring avant garde music, as well as the bands that brought TCV together, the Foo Fighters (there's another one Jimmy's on the record as liking) and QOTSA. You'll notice that when they do solo projects, it's always with people from a more recent musical vintage than themselves, not people whose heritage is in the 70s. Trust me, the later 70s in particular weren't that great apart from Zep! (Disco!!)

black crows??

Yes, they'd already been mentioned. Here--

I would love to hear some of the groups that the guys have shown interest in (besides Black Crowes, Alison Krouss, Leona Lewis, White Stripes, ect.). I'm not trying to be ugly or anything, I just haven't seen any interviews or stuff where they mention too many artists of today.

That's why I was coming up with other artists.

Especially the ones who like today's music. Haha just kidding but yeah it's a somewhat of a trend. Sorry if I offended anyone.

yeah it is a trend. oh today a kid asked what i do in my meantime i replied play bass and listen to music. and he was like "you play an instrument?? weirdo" angry.gif then our teacher was playing Zeppelin a couple of days ago and he was like "man they need to stop playin their racist music, and play rap!" angry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

I get called a 'gay retard' sometimes when people reply to some of my Zep video uploads, this reply I got the other day in response to a comment I made, saying that 'at least people who watch and enjoy Zeppelin appreciate good music!

"what is good music all about? tell me f*cker. you can't just go around making definitive statements about the universe like that retard."

if I was a retard or gay or a f*cker I would be most offended, I don't mind constructive critisism, in fact i encourage it..unfortunately this is not constructive, I could talk all day about the universe, string theory, Doppler effects, bolometric luminosity, fermi acceleration, interstella mediums & the impending destruction of the hubble telescope etc etc, and what makes music good or not, but feel it may be lost on you webleedfornoone0

I refuse to stoop to his level as maybe he's just after a reaction, judging by his channel comments it seems i havent been singled out, so thanx for that webleedfornoone0 i look forward to your next comment... oops accidently blocked you, dunno how that happened.. just 1 question.. if you dont like Zep, why are you watching the vid in the first place?

ahh that's better :P .............. what was the question?

We used to use the word "gay" a lot back in the 80's as an insult, as in "like, that is/he is/she is so gay." Kids also called each other "gay-wads" - anybody here remember that one? Ah, youth. laugh.gif

Maybe it's a retro thing.

Sorry for being offtopic.gif .

"what is good music all about? tell me f*cker. you can't just go around making definitive statements about the universe like that retard."

if I was a retard or gay or a f*cker I would be most offended, I don't mind constructive critisism, in fact i encourage it..unfortunately this is not constructive, I could talk all day about the universe, string theory, Doppler effects, bolometric luminosity, fermi acceleration, interstella mediums & the impending destruction of the hubble telescope etc etc, and what makes music good or not, but feel it may be lost on you webleedfornoone0

I refuse to stoop to his level as maybe he's just after a reaction, judging by his channel comments it seems i havent been singled out, so thanx for that webleedfornoone0 i look forward to your next comment... oops accidently blocked you, dunno how that happened.. just 1 question.. if you dont like Zep, why are you watching the vid in the first place?

it would seem this poster you speak of wouldn't have the vocabulary

to meaningfully discuss interstella mediums, protoplanetary discs(proplids)

or the hubble's impending doom....that is unless he screams "oh sh_t"

before the fiery remnants land on his head!

i on the other hand am happy to tell you that the last shuttle mission

extended hubble's capabilities and life expectancy and is promising to

send back images that will make the "deep field image" look like a

1970's peel and stick, insta polaroid picture. to bad hubble wasn't

taking zeppelin concert pics in the 70's (instead of the polaroid

peel and stick ones we're left with) :)

Gotta disagree - having also lived through that particular era - the later 70s WERE great, and I loved disco. :D I can think of at least 50 albums i LOVE from that period - inc by Robert Palmer, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, The Clash, Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Clapton, Thin Lizzy, Elvis Costello, Ramones, Blondie, Tom Petty, Sex Pistols, Bad Company, Glenn Hughes, Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, Rush, ELO, Hall and Oates, Iggy Pop, The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Funkadelic, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, 10CC, James Taylor, Talking Heads, Steve Winwood, Sex Pistols, Dire Straits, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen, The Cars, Bob Seger, The Jam, Kate Bush, The Police........well as you can see I can go on and on..... :D

I can't think of a single period since the 50s when there HASN'T been bloody brilliant music going on. Its a total myth perpetuated by almost every teen (probably including me) that music just "isn't what it used to be." I guess it's a rite of passage of some sort.

Oh and I'm not saying pre-50s music wasn't wonderful either - just I know less about it. I suspect the "music" drifting out of caves in the prehistoric era had its magical moments too. ;)

Oh and I'd also strongly disagree that their solo projects are "always with people from a more recent musical vintage than themselves, not people whose heritage is in the 70s". Jimmy's solo projects have involved Paul Rodgers, Chris Farlowe, John Miles, the musicians of the ARMS tour,Coverdale,etc etc, Robert worked with musicians of his era on both the original and subsequent Honeydrippers projects, just for eg.

Gotta disagree - having also lived through that particular era - the later 70s WERE great, and I loved disco. :D I can think of at least 50 albums i LOVE from that period - inc by Robert Palmer, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, The Clash, Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Clapton, Thin Lizzy, Elvis Costello, Ramones, Blondie, Tom Petty, Sex Pistols, Bad Company, Glenn Hughes, Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, Rush, ELO, Hall and Oates, Iggy Pop, The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Funkadelic, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, 10CC, James Taylor, Talking Heads, Steve Winwood, Sex Pistols, Dire Straits, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen, The Cars, Bob Seger, The Jam, Kate Bush, The Police........well as you can see I can go on and on..... :D

I can't think of a single period since the 50s when there HASN'T been bloody brilliant music going on. Its a total myth perpetuated by almost every teen (probably including me) that music just "isn't what it used to be." I guess it's a rite of passage of some sort.

Oh and I'm not saying pre-50s music wasn't wonderful either - just I know less about it. I suspect the "music" drifting out of caves in the prehistoric era had its magical moments too. ;)

Oh and I'd also strongly disagree that their solo projects are "always with people from a more recent musical vintage than themselves, not people whose heritage is in the 70s". Jimmy's solo projects have involved Paul Rodgers, Chris Farlowe, John Miles, the musicians of the ARMS tour,Coverdale,etc etc, Robert worked with musicians of his era on both the original and subsequent Honeydrippers projects, just for eg.

JPJ and Jon Anderson anyone.

OK then, their more RECENT solo projects (Alison Krauss, all the Strange Sensation guys, Grohl and Homme, etc.).

Not saying there wasn't some good music in the late 70s, but it's far from being my favorite period, I have to admit (and I hated disco :P ). A lot of the bands you listed--for me, they weren't a patch on their earlier selves. So I guess we'll just agree to disagree. :D

I've found brilliant, wonderful music in every decade…and, even now, I'm always discovering great new music. Sometimes it's simply a matter of walking around a city, hearing a great sound emanating from a small club, and walking in to discover a new jazz ensemble or a band from Brazil.

For me, the late '70s was a great time for music (and I wasn't even a fan of disco). Personally, I don't include LZ on my list of late '70s great music. Yes, Presence is a masterpiece but because it was released in early '76, I consider it part of the mid-70s. In addition to the bands I named down on the punk thread, others on my list of greats I loved during the later 70's include: Rory Gallagher, Eno, Fripp, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, David Bowie, Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson, Muddy Waters, all sorts of ska and punk and reggae bands, etc. (I know I've forgotten to include everyone here).

I've found brilliant, wonderful music in every decade…and, even now, I'm always discovering great new music. Sometimes it's simply a matter of walking around a city, hearing a great sound emanating from a small club, and walking in to discover a new jazz ensemble or a band from Brazil.

For me, the late '70s was a great time for music (and I wasn't even a fan of disco). Personally, I don't include LZ on my list of late '70s great music. Yes, Presence is a masterpiece but because it was released in early '76, I consider it part of the mid-70s. In addition to the bands I named down on the punk thread, others on my list of greats I loved during the later 70's include: Rory Gallagher, Eno, Fripp, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, David Bowie, Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson, Muddy Waters, all sorts of ska and punk and reggae bands, etc. (I know I've forgotten to include everyone here).

Complete agreement, except the Zeppelin bit - I include them, it was the era I first saw them live after all :) ) But yeah I agree on all the artists you mention -and there are so many more, but the ones I listed were just off the top of my head - many more have popped in since then - for example, how could I have missed out one of the people I listened to most in that era - Ian Hunter! I loved that time of music just like I love any other. Music - its the bollox!

Look--my intention was to make clear to the younger members who had been saying they wished they'd been born in the 70s that good music didn't end in 1980, and there had been plenty of great stuff in recent years. Which there has, and personally I've enjoyed a lot of recent music more than a lot of music from the late 70s.

I should also point out that whatever else was going on, that period was dominated by the Bee Gees, Donna Summer, et al. Which is fine if you like disco but I didn't and don't.

Complete agreement, except the Zeppelin bit - I include them, it was the era I first saw them live after all :) ) But yeah I agree on all the artists you mention -and there are so many more, but the ones I listed were just off the top of my head - many more have popped in since then - for example, how could I have missed out one of the people I listened to most in that era - Ian Hunter! I loved that time of music just like I love any other. Music - its the bollox!

I understand about your feelings with regard to LZ during that era. Because of our age difference, we were at different stages/places in our lives then and LZ didn't/couldn't mean the same thing to us. Yes, Ian was especially good during that era and I loved his collaboration with Mick. :)

I understand about your feelings with regard to LZ during that era. Because of our age difference, we were at different stages/places in our lives then and LZ didn't/couldn't mean the same thing to us. Yes, Ian was especially good during that era and I loved his collaboration with Mick. :)

Ah, the Spider with the platinum hair. What a legend.

Archived