Have you ever met Zep hater?

_Lena_Zep

Well, here in LA, the real Rockabillies, the ones who make this a lifestyle choice, are very anti-English in terms of music and culture. I. Don't. Know. Why. The problem is I'm a sucker for the look myself. I dress this way quite often, and I love a boy with long chops and nautical stars and sparrow tattoos. :wub: But I don't get how a group of people can disavow another group, based on music, especially when the music is remarkably similar. It seems, again, stupid. Unintelligent.

Seems so strange to completely be so anti an entire genre of music like that. Missing out on a lot that's for sure!

Well, here in LA, the real Rockabillies, the ones who make this a lifestyle choice, are very anti-English in terms of music and culture. I. Don't. Know. Why. The problem is I'm a sucker for the look myself. I dress this way quite often, and I love a boy with long chops and nautical stars and sparrow tattoos. :wub: But I don't get how a group of people can disavow another group, based on music, especially when the music is remarkably similar. It seems, again, stupid. Unintelligent.

They don't like us? :(

I suspect that Rockabillies may not understand how another country can be the pioneers a genre (certainly during the 60's/70's) that is supposedly inspired by 'theirs' - especially when they sound nothing like them. I suppose hardcore Motown fans may despise Eminem, or fans of the Blues may dislike Beyonce.

Does that make sense? I may be completely off the mark, but that's the impression I get.

Seems so strange to completely be so anti an entire genre of music like that. Missing out on a lot that's for sure!

That's why he's an "ex." B) And I agree with you 100%. Like I said, there's a lot to the Rockabilly culture that I like, but I can't stand the close-mindedness. So while I may, at times, look the part, I will never call myself a "Rockabilly."

I suspect that Rockabillies may not understand how another country can be the pioneers a genre (certainly during the 60's/70's) that is supposedly inspired by 'theirs' - especially when they sound nothing like them. I suppose hardcore Motown fans may despise Eminem, or fans of the Blues may dislike Beyonce.

Does that make sense? I may be completely off the mark, but that's the impression I get.

They probably like English girls, but not English guys.

They can't handle the competition.

sometimes.

My poor LDW. :console: If they met you, they'd love England! And the problem may not be the whole of the Rockabilly culture. I only know from my own community. Although, I believe I've seen the same sentiment on-line so, who knows?

I think you may have a great point on the whole "who did what first and differently issue." I'll have to think on that.

Oh, and guys, none of these are my feelings. Shoot, I've described myself as an anglophile a number of times.

Rockabillies are threatened by English guys? Can't see that one, myself. How is that?

They're young, they want the girl and they are concerned that another guy might get in the way.

And the girls are attracted to the guys in Led Zeppelin, hence the urge to compete, fed by the ample supply of testosterone in young guys, takes over.

My poor LDW. :console: If they met you, they'd love England! And the problem may not be the whole of the Rockabilly culture. I only know from my own community. Although, I believe I've seen the same sentiment on-line so, who knows?

I think you may have a great point on the whole "who did what first and differently issue." I'll have to think on that.

Oh, and guys, none of these are my feelings. Shoot, I've described myself as an anglophile a number of times.

Aww, now I'm happy again :D Moonmaid, you're so sweet - we know that their sentiments couldn't be your own.

I have a friend that plays guitar (I say friend, I mean dickhead) and he basically won't listen to anything that diverts him from power chords or big hair. And if a band - up and coming or not - claims to be inspired by any such band that he listens to, he decides that they're already shit. Whether he's heard them or not. I suspect that it's almost like a territorial thing - 'his' music came first and any succeeding generation that claims to be inspired by them is only second-rate at best.

I suppose the fact that Eddie Cochran died in England couldn't have helped . . . :unsure:

Apart from that, the anti-English bias makes no sense to me at all, any more than being anti-Romanian or anti-Malaysian or something. :huh:

No no. I meant and said "musically and culturally" meaning "pop-culturally." They wont hate you because you're from England. But they'll hate me, an American, for liking English music. It still isn't that nice of a difference, but that's, technically, what I meant.

Ha! Good point about Eddie. Well, John Lennon's death is America's fault. So there ya go.

No no. I meant and said "musically and culturally" meaning "pop-culturally." They wont hate you because you're from England. But they'll hate me, an American, for liking English music. It still isn't that nice of a difference, but that's, technically, what I meant.

Yeah, but what I was trying to figure out was why they would be so against English pop culture as opposed to any other country's (the English being very partial to rockabilly)--I guess you addressed that in some of your other posts though.

Aww, now I'm happy again :D Moonmaid, you're so sweet - we know that their sentiments couldn't be your own.

I have a friend that plays guitar (I say friend, I mean dickhead) and he basically won't listen to anything that diverts him from power chords or big hair. And if a band - up and coming or not - claims to be inspired by any such band that he listens to, he decides that they're already shit. Whether he's heard them or not. I suspect that it's almost like a territorial thing - 'his' music came first and any succeeding generation that claims to be inspired by them is only second-rate at best.

This may be the answer. Excellent example.

There is also a more horrible aspect to the Rockabilly culture that I've been avoiding. It's a completely sexist culture. The late 60s movement of peace and love and freedom for woman goes against everything they believe in. "Women should stay at home and have babies." That's what I meant by "American Dream." The Beatles killed this "ideal," so say the Rockabillies. Why they throw the whole of the English bands into the mix, I don't know.

Again, I am not part of this culture, but I was on the fringe. I don't know why, looking back...

This may be the answer. Excellent example.

There is also a more horrible aspect to the Rockabilly culture that I've been avoiding. It's a completely sexist culture. The late 60s movement of peace and love and freedom for woman goes against everything they believe in. "Women should stay at home and have babies." That's what I meant by "American Dream." The Beatles killed this "ideal," so say the Rockabillies. Why they throw the whole of the English bands into the mix, I don't know.

Again, I am not part of this culture, but I was on the fringe. I don't know why, looking back...

Well, I'd imagine that they see the Beatles as the devil incarnate - what with their long hair and loud music. It was the kind of music that, suddenly, girls could focus on as well. Every other English band that followed was just bound to be the same - and for a time, some were (especially in terms of looks). It's archaic thinking, but then, Rockabilly isn't exactly the most modern of genres.

(There's every chance that I'm sounding highly ignorant with that final sentence.)

Well, I'd imagine that they see the Beatles as the devil incarnate - what with their long hair and loud music. It was the kind of music that, suddenly, girls could focus on as well. Every other English band that followed was just bound to be the same - and for a time, some were (especially in terms of looks). It's archaic thinking, but then, Rockabilly isn't exactly the most modern of genres.

(There's every chance that I'm sounding highly ignorant with that final sentence.)

It's because the Beatles attracted the girls, which signaled competition for the other guys.

It became a territorial issue that was more about getting the girl than music appreciation.

You're closer than you know. It's not modern, and they are proud of that. They call it "old fashioned American values" or "Americana."

Again I have to say I just don't understand limiting oneself like that. I'll give anything a listen even if it falls in a genre I may not like a lot of music from. You never know when you'll discover something cool and interesting! Makes no sense to me.

Again I have to say I just don't understand limiting oneself like that. I'll give anything a listen even if it falls in a genre I may not like a lot of music from. You never know when you'll discover something cool and interesting! Makes no sense to me.

It's a guy thing.

He's young, full of testosterone and self-centered.

It's all about him and what he's got to offer.

Talk to him and

that he has got a lot, especially if you are a girl and good-looking.

While you are thinking about music appreciation, he is contemplating the

His understanding of music revolves around anything loud with a simple rhythm and a count of 1-2-3.

He mostly wants to know

Totally agree! That's why I didn't accept "them," and "they" didn't accept me.

That rhymed. ^_^

• 5 weeks later...
Have you ever met Zep hater?

Obviously, there are people who don't like Led Zeppelin because they essentially don't like rock music, period. To me, that's easy to understand. Though I have met lots of people who like a lot of Zep's contemporaries from the same era (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, KISS, etc.) yet still don't like Led Zeppelin.

Personally, it's never bothered me. Some people simply don't "get" certain bands. It doesn't necessarily mean that the person is being close-minded. It just happens, as with disliking a certain food. I just accept this as a natural phenomenon. Similarly I've seen bands that have an equal cult following who, even after I give them an honest listen, I simply still can't get into. (Grateful Dead comes to mind. Great musicians, but I still can't hold enough interest to buy one of their albums.)

noo. mostLy peopLe don't act so radicaL......especially when they don't know about the topic.

they are mostLy, " oh yea, stairway to heaven, right? yes, that's great." Me: :guns:

I got in to Zep in the early 80's, which as history shows was when Zep where most unpopular, I was considered a freak, old fart before my time :), people really had a disliking for them then, then 1990 and the remastered boxset came out and there work reapraised, ever since then never really met anyone who doesn't really like them, all my old mates who were into Sex Pistols, Blondie, Toyah :unsure: , now think Zeps music is the real deal, or at least up there with the best !

Obviously, there are people who don't like Led Zeppelin because they essentially don't like rock music, period. To me, that's easy to understand. Though I have met lots of people who like a lot of Zep's contemporaries from the same era (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, KISS, etc.) yet still don't like Led Zeppelin.

Personally, it's never bothered me. Some people simply don't "get" certain bands. It doesn't necessarily mean that the person is being close-minded. It just happens, as with disliking a certain food. I just accept this as a natural phenomenon. Similarly I've seen bands that have an equal cult following who, even after I give them an honest listen, I simply still can't get into. (Grateful Dead comes to mind. Great musicians, but I still can't hold enough interest to buy one of their albums.)

Sad to hear you don't have enough interest to pick up a Dead album. They really are one of my favorite bands (everyone's after Zeppelin of course) and I think you should try to get into their music. They really are one of the best bands ever. :D:DB):P (in my opinion)

My last roommate was not a Led Zeppelin fan by any stretch of the imagination. She wasn't that rude about it, but very open with her opinions. Whenever I'd walk in with a LZ song playing on my iPod she'd ask me "Oh, is that 'Stairway to Heaven'?" (No.) "Oh.. I guess that's the only LZ song I've ever heard of.. and even then I don't know how it goes" Or when we watched the Grammys and Robert won.. she told me how bad he looked for his age. Or she'd look at my posters and rate the guys in order of "creepiness" (poor Bonzo lost 9 times out of 10). I guess I just find it annoying that some people aren't respectful of the musical tastes of others and resort to using broad generalizations or stereotypes to justify their dislike of the music. Personally I don't like rap or hip-hop music, but I tolerate it and don't belittle people for listening to it.. Music is a deeply personal choice, IMO.

Archived