Where were you the first time you heard Zeppelin

Deborah J

I was 14 in October of 1969. I had heard the "word on the street" about this band called Led Zeppelin, and so, I was very interested in checking them out. The last time I had heard a "word on the street" about any band, it was 1964, and the group was The Beatles . . .

As I had just turned 14, I took some of my Birthday money, and went to the Record Dept. of the local Sanger-Harris Dept. store, and found a brand new Led Zeppelin release waiting for me there: Led Zep II. I bought it, and took it home. I went into the Stereo "room", a lighted closet, with a turntable and a receiver and table with albums. From this room, concealed wires went to the speakers in the living room.

For this very first listening experience to the mighty Led Zeppelin, I chose the privacy of the stereo closet, and a pair of Koss -- Full Size-- Headphones. I was not dissapointed !!

It was there, in the seclusion of that stereo closet, that my 14 year old virgin mind was blown away with the sonic assault of the sounds of Led Zeppelin II: "Heartbreaker" and "Whole Lotta Love" were the most amazing things that I had ever heard in my lifetime.

I came of age, musically, that night.

I could not have wished to consummate my indoctrination into Hard Rock with anything more beautiful and explosive, as the sonic delights of Led Zeppelin II.

Rover,what a great memory, like you it was 1969 as I stated earlier, but I was 11 when my parents let me buy LZ1, then I saved my money and bought II and III and the rest was history. I remember the Marantz turntable, the headphones- and I was in this most beautiful place. The I saw them live in 1973..just unbelievable at the impact they had on me and still do:-)

It must've been in 1996 or '97 when I was seven or eight years old, that I first (concsiously! Might've been earlier that I first heard it) listened to "Stairway", when my father played it to me. I remember I was very excited about the fourth album's cover and I remember playing the song to a classmate of mine and she really wasn't enthusiastic about it ^^. I also remember that I liked "Golden Earring's" "Vanilla Queen" a lot that time...

Well, it then took me some time to get a reasonable sense and taste for music again (I was listening to so much crap for some time... Pathetic...) with, I don't know, sixteen.

I really treasure our fourth album's record - it is the first record that my father bought, when he was fourteen. I'm so glad he did, because in Austria you can't be sure to get to know Zeppelin. No radio station plays them (therefor, I hate radio in Austria...)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was but a lad in the car with me Mum when Stairway came on the Nova's AM-only radio. Intrigued. But the light really came on a few years later when the local AOR station played a rockumentary of Zeppelin. I recorded it. Heard "Achilles Last Stand" and I was blown away. I was a complex kid and Last Stand fit the bill perfectly. Layers upon layers of inventiveness. Went and got a guitar not long after that. "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" was my first honest to god song that I played. I went on to learn nearly everything Zeppelin ever recorded.

The first time I can remember hearing them was in a rented VW band travelling through Europe in November of 1972. The album was Led Zeppelin IV on an orange cassette that my brother had purchased overseas at the beginning of our trip. The setting couldn't have been more perfect; lots of foggy mornings, rolling hills, misty mountains and beautiful castles. As for their impact, I eventually picked up some of their earlier albums over the years which led to me seeking out blues artists such as Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters. Still a fan to this day and thanks to this board, I've learned much more about them than I ever thought possible through the pages of Creem, Circus, Rolling Stone and Hammer of the Gods that I'd studied so closely in my younger days.

1969. I was eleven. I can't really pinpoint when I FIRST heard them, obviously it was on the radio, but I do vividly remember the moment my brother brought home Led Zeppelin I and we listened to the whole thing.

I mean, I remember the light coming through our bedroom window, where I was sitting, everything. That was it. It was all over after that. Oh my God. I was young and impressionable, sure, and I'd had previous 'moments' with other records, like Magical Mystery Tour and Are You Experienced. But THIS....I was FLOORED. Bonzo! Jimmy! Robert! Jones! What a fucking band!

Oh man, the very first time I consciously heard Led Zep was in the film "School of Rock" and it was the Immigrant Song. I quite liked it, although my love developed over a long long long period of time, almost 6 years. The second song was Black Dog, the third was Rock N Roll and the fourth for some time was Since I've been loving you, that was all I listened to until May 2011. That is when Going to California came into my life and that was it. I even had a Zep poster on my wall for almost a year but the final kick came with this song. Robert's voice was just so beautiful and Jimmy's solo left me in tears. I knew I wasn't gonna be rescued..

this version did it for me..

I can't quite remember the very first time I heard a Zeppelin song, but it was probably on classic rock radio sometime in the early 2000's. I had heard a lot of praise for Stairway to Heaven over the years, but never bothered to sit down and listen to it. Then one day, the local radio station decided to do a 7-in-a-row set of Zeppelin. The first song was Stairway to Heaven. I was taken by the recorder parts at the beginning, and how the song builds to a crescendo. The next song was "Ramble On," and I was amazed when I heard the third verse talk about Gollum and Mordor. I had always been a huge LOTR freak, so I knew I had to look into this band more closely. The first Zeppelin album I got was when my roommate and I did a little bit of file-sharing and he gave me Mothership. I remember listening and noticing a lot of songs that I had listened to in the past but never knew that they were Zeppelin, like "Rock and Roll" and "Kashmir." I saw a lot of other songs that had been left off of Mothership, so I hunted down those albums, either through physical CD purchases or Mp3 downloads from Amazon. I knew that if I was to have this band's discography, I had to get it legally, rather than through piracy or file-sharing.The first album I purchased was Physical Graffiti in June 2010, and I finished out the studio album set with In Through the Out Door in July 2011.

AHHH...I'll never forget. Winter 1970. I was 11 and walking to my grandparents house to visit. Had my trusty AM/FM radio listening to KWOW while drudging through the snow covered Nebraska road and on came "Immigrant Song". I was a HUGE Beatles fan at the time - but that song changed everything. That pounding riff and wailing scream hit me like a bolt of lightning. I stopped dead in my tracks and didn't move till it was over. Thank God the DJ announced the name of the band right after the song - that was NOT always the case with radio. The next day I went to the local record store on Main Street and bought Zepp III....by the end of the week I shoveled enough snow and had the first two in my collection as well.

Never thought a band could knock the Beatles off the pedestal I had placed them on.......thank you John, John, Jimmy and Robert!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived