The Firm Thread

I

The names of their two albums were The Firm (1985) which hit number 17 in the U. S. And number 19 in the U. K., , and Mean Business (1986) hit number 22 in the U. S. And number 46 in the U. K... They released 4 singles which were Radioactive (1985), which hit number 28 in the U. S., Satisfaction Guaranteed (1985) hit number 73 in the U. S., All the King’s Horses (1986) reached number 61 in the U. S., and Live in Peace (1986).

Peaked at # 46 in the U.K. ? What the hell ? :slapface::(

LoL....outsold by Mike & the Mechanics.

After playing the game with radio broadcasts, MTV videos, and other promotions, Jimmy must have been pretty depressed about the sales of both albums, especially when the 2nd album was given even harsher treatment than the first.

Anyone have any vinyl 45's from The Firm ? :huh:Ihad the one with two radioactives and city sirens{Ithink}.maybe jimmy realized early on rodgers was going to be an overbearing songwriter.peter grant said as much.just the fact that rodgers pulled out his acoustic probably made page grind his teeth.paul,this is jimmy page,put your guitars away.

So he played the Paul on this tour. Man. I dreamed at night about the Paul in 1984, and thought Jimmy was done with blazing leads forever. To me, the brown tele represented weakness, remorseful sloppy solos with no mids or bottom tonality. I learned tp appreciate the B string bender vocabulary years after he stopped using it. Then I would listen to my 7" of "Together" when no roomates were around to catch me in my moment of sap. Back in the day I would have killed to see Page unleash the Paul. I bought every mag that carried a pic of Live-Aid Page w/Paul. 

actually in 85' and 86' for the encores jimmy yanked out the paul.needless to say,jimmy played much better with the paul.

was listening to the firm's/make or break, after the initial solo, where the tempo seems to speed up a bit. page does that slow playing over that. it has an interesting effect, sort of warps the motion of the song. very cool how the firm did things with basically simple songs and they were really good at slowing the music down, interesting changes of speed and recording levels. page did that on outrider too w/wanna make love, a firm type sounding song. it sounds like page played -tear down the walls, faster and with a different sound in 88, almost sounds like a different song.

it sounds like page played -tear down the walls, faster and with a different sound in 88, almost sounds like a different song.

Yes! I remember hearing this at the show and it went from sounding like a Bad Company song to sounding more like a Led-Zeppelin song. I think the biggest difference was that in 1988, even though very young, Jason was playing the drums on this. John Miles has more of a Plant-esque voice as well and they just attacked this song, particularly Jimmy and his riffing.

It remains one of my favourite Firm songs, but I do prefer the Outrider version.

aen27 & Stargroves Tangie! :wave:

It arrived!!!!! Will be watching this tonight :yesnod::yay:

I have already watched it 3 times. a lot of the extra footage I had on official LZ DVDs but the DVD is great...and like I said, I will wear it out!

Nice to put it in big screen, great surround sound and just sit back and totally enjoy :thumbsup:

Yes! I remember hearing this at the show and it went from sounding like a Bad Company song to sounding more like a Led-Zeppelin song. I think the biggest difference was that in 1988, even though very young, Jason was playing the drums on this. John Miles has more of a Plant-esque voice as well and they just attacked this song, particularly Jimmy and his riffing.

It remains one of my favourite Firm songs, but I do prefer the Outrider version.

on the recorded version of tear down the walls, like quite a few other firm songs, there is sort of a slow reggae influenced bass and drums at times and then rock sections. its subtle stuff, but sometimes the drums will pick up a bit, recorded louder in the mix or whatever, alot of subtle stuff with the firm records. so yeah, live in 88 with that crunchy guitar sound on that riff and real loud in the live mix, just sounded great. like you say, jason and john miles make it much different too. i remember thinking plant could sing that song and make it sound good too.

Here's something for DeborahJ... I was using Photoshop to do some work and came upon this photo. A few years back a friend had a tape titled: Firm - Live. No date or venue, though it sounded like the 1985 tour. Don't ask me to explain, but I can hear a difference between the 1985 and 86 tours... Anyway, here's the cover I made for a CDR.

346rpq9.jpg

Here's something for DeborahJ... I was using Photoshop to do some work and came upon this photo. A few years back a friend had a tape titled: Firm - Live. No date or venue, though it sounded like the 1985 tour. Don't ask me to explain, but I can hear a difference between the 1985 and 86 tours... Anyway, here's the cover I made for a CDR.

346rpq9.jpg

Thanks for this, very kind Dr.Death!!

Oh ,and I will be getting the new Paul Rodgers compilation that swandown posted..another Thank you

:thanku:

Good find. Looks like it will be -

Satisfaction Guaranteed {Studio version}

Radioactive {12 inch remix version}

Live In Peace - Midnight Moonlight {Live}

Yeah! Finally- the Radioactive 12 inch version & the live Live In Peace (my absolute fave Firm song) that was on the flipside coming out on cd!

Will check out Amazon.com now to see if it can be pre-ordered... cheer.gif

I saw the Firm In Oklahoma City in 1986! They were fabulous! It was the first time that I had ever seen Jimmy and it was a great experience!

glad to hear so many enjoyed the firm.I saw them 5 times over 85-86'.I am a guitarist,and unfortunately jimmy seemed in a constant battle with his b-bender telecaster.I have a vhs of detroit 86' where page plays great,but the video is maybe B+.