The Firm Thread

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190515

After a very successful start to their U.K. tour earlier this year, former AC/DC drummer Chris Slade with his band The Chris Slade TImeline is setting off again, this time visiting the Midlands, including the headlining on the Saturday night at the Rock And Blues Old School Weekender Festival in Penrich, Derbyshire. The Chris Slade Timeline continues in its quest of marking Slade's illustrious 50-year-career as a professional rock drummer.

For the latest leg of the tour, Slade is joined again by vocalist Steve Glasscock, guitarist James Cornford (recently lead guitarist for Blaze Bayley) and keyboard player Michael Clark but this time is taking along with him, to complete the lineup, budding bass player Andy Crosby and vocalist Frank Knight, whom Slade has worked with on numerous projects around the world.

The Chris Slade Timeline will continue to include unforgettable rock anthems from a varied set list devised from Slade's time with Tom Jones, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Uriah Heep, The Firm, Asia, including a fair degree of AC/DC. Taking into account Chris Slade's illustrious and lengthy career, there is zero chance of ever running out of material!

The Chris Slade Timeline begins the second leg of the U.K. tour in Grimbsy at the end of July and the following dates have been confirmed at time of going to press:

Jul. 26 - Yardbirds Rock Club, Grimsby, Lincs

Jul. 27 - The Rock and Blues Old School Weekender Festival, Penrich, Derby

Aug.23 - The Roadhouse, Stirchley, Birmingham.

Aug.24 - Sound Music Venue, Cheltenham, Gloucs

Aug.25 - The Diamond, Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts

Aug.30 - Blitz Live Venue, Preston, Lancs

Aug.31 - Trades, Rotherham

Slade recieved his highest exposure in 1989 when he was asked to join AC/DC as the replacement for Simon Wright. Slade played on the 1990 "Razor's Edge" album, which included "Thunderstruck" receiving a Grammy nomination for his work. Slade toured with AC/DC for three years and it culminated in the release of "Big Gun", which was part of the "Last Action Hero" movie soundtrack starring Arnold Swarzenegger. Slade left the band when former drummer Phil Rudd was reinstated. AC/DC guitarist Angus Young has since been quoted as saying that Chris Slade was "the best musician in AC/DC."

chrissladetimeline2013_zps3fe361bb.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

First a correction to my typo: the tour ended 5/28/86. Historically, this was not only the last show of the tour but also The Firm's final performance. Through the years I've enjoyed immensely an audience audio recording I own of the show. It documents that they had to stop performing for several minutes after Closer on account of the general admission main floor crowd getting crushed up front. Once the crowd is finally convinced to step back the house lights go down again and the band continues to deliver one of their finest performances. Emerald green lasers accentuate Live In Peace and strobe lights and fog showcase Radioactive. Jimmy concocts a phenomenal bow solo later in the show. Money - a Led Zeppelin encore in '80 - is the surprising opener to a high-spirited encore at the end of the show, at the end of the tour, at the end of an era.

----------

~ A complete audience video recording has surfaced! ~

TheFirmLiveinSeattle1986.jpg

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Steve --

Was at Seattle in 86 and it was awesome. First (and only) time seeing jimmy live, but it was about 10 feet away. Great show.

Where can I get a hold of that live DVD of the show? Can't seem to find it anywhere. Willing to trade a really good CD of the show, from Holst's "The Planets" through "Money", including the 20 minute delay to calm the crowd down.

• 3 weeks later...

The St. Louis show was May 13th, and only the second since he was bedridden in Chicago with influenza and/or food poisoning. It's possible he was given a medicinal iv shot to help get through the show.

I was at the May 6 Rosemont Horizon show and Jimmy played terribly. The worst I"ve ever heard him and I was in the front row! It was painful to see and hear him sound so bad. The spotlight hit him at the opening of Fortune Hunter and he looked fucked. He barely left the area around his amps and just would'nt come up front. A friend of mine had heard Jimmy was ill that evening and that was the reason for his shoddy performance. The band should have rescheduled this show because Jimmy Page didn't leave a good impression on those in attendance.

• 2 weeks later...

1985CourtesyTonyFranklin.jpg

Jimmy Page & Tony Franklin aboard The Firm's Viscount jet during their first United States tour in Spring 1985

Photo courtesy of Tony Franklin

Great photo. Looks like a bad storm on the rise. Jimmy's hair is going left, while Tony's hair is going both right and left and up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Firm "Satisfaction Guaranteed" Edinburgh, Scotland 5/20/85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ARdItYPbcY

Fabulous, probably my fav Firm track, along with Radioactive and Midnight Moonlight and from the only live show I saw them do damn it.

Quite incredible some of the stuff people have dredged up from the depths in this thread.

Cheers,

Indi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dSXTiHOC5jQ#!

jimmy's firm interview in the purple suit, been looking for this

This is so cool, there can't be too many filmed interviews with TDL of this duration, bit of a coop to gain his co-operation on something like this. Interesting he was candid enough to say he did not rate the material on the first Firm album so highly.

Cheers,

Indi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone have any vinyl 45's from The Firm ? huh.gif

Yes as a matter of fact I do...

Radioactive US pressing

Radioactive UK pressing

Radioactive/All the Kings Horses US oldies pressing

Radioactive US promo

Satisfaction Guaranteed US pressing

Satisfaction Guaranteed US promo

These Arms of Mine US promo (Willie and the Poor Boys)

All the Kings Horses US pressing

Live in Peace US pressing

Live in Peace US promo

....and a mislabeled Foreigner 45 that plays the Firm

Well you asked.... :superman:

I saw The Firm for both tours at The Forum in Los Angeles.

The first tour, first night Page tried to be cool and kick flip a folding chair back up into its folded position and he failed. The second night he tried it and the trick went perfectly. I have a tape of that first show and no I didn't record it I bought it at a swap meet. Although I really liked the concert Page seemed to rely on his bendy guitar too much and I thought it took away from his sound.

The second tour, the band was flawless, very tight and put on a great show. I have a 2LP boot for that show on clear vinyl.

I was very close for all 3 concerts and I never saw Page get shot up with anything. Yeah he rolled up his sleeves but he probably thought it was cool to do so before his solo.

Edited by justanotherbum

Cool! What Foreigner song(s) are labeled and what Firm song(s) is it actually? Would love to see a picture of the clear vinyl set if possible. Thanks justanotherbum for sharing!

Anyone have any vinyl 45's from The Firm ? huh.gif

Yes as a matter of fact I do...

Radioactive US pressing

Radioactive UK pressing

Radioactive/All the Kings Horses US oldies pressing

Radioactive US promo

Satisfaction Guaranteed US pressing

Satisfaction Guaranteed US promo

These Arms of Mine US promo (Willie and the Poor Boys)

All the Kings Horses US pressing

Live in Peace US pressing

Live in Peace US promo

....and a mislabeled Foreigner 45 that plays the Firm

Well you asked.... :superman:

I saw The Firm for both tours at The Forum in Los Angeles.

The first tour, first night Page tried to be cool and kick flip a folding chair back up into its folded position and he failed. The second night he tried it and the trick went perfectly. I have a tape of that first show and no I didn't record it I bought it at a swap meet. Although I really liked the concert Page seemed to rely on his bendy guitar too much and I thought it took away from his sound.

The second tour, the band was flawless, very tight and put on a great show. I have a 2LP boot for that show on clear vinyl.

I was very close for all 3 concerts and I never saw Page get shot up with anything. Yeah he rolled up his sleeves but he probably thought it was cool to do so before his solo.

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 weeks later...