The Firm Thread

This weekend I obtained a soundboard recording of The Firm's May 20th 1985 gig at The Playhouse in Edinburgh, Scotland. I see it's been in circulation for some time but it was new for me. There's a cut between Radioactive and Live in Peace. Jimmy addresses the crowd a few times, the first following the fourth song, Make or Break, exclaiming "Good evening, Edinburgh! Nice to see ya. Nice to feel ya, actually..."

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 months later...

Interview with Paul Rodgers: http://www.rockcella...s-is-the-voice/

RCM: You recorded that album on the Swan Song record label, launched by Led Zeppelin in ’74. Did Bad Company and Led Zeppelin ever jam together?

PR: I remember Zeppelin standing on the side of the stage at a concert in the Finsbury Park Astoria in London, and I waved them onstage because they were just standing there enjoying the show. They looked at me and went, “What!?” because they weren’t at all expecting it. So they came on stage and we grabbed a bunch of guitars and we had the most amazing jam session. It was incredible. The audience was high at the end of our set, but when the Zeps walked on they went absolutely crazy. We played some blues numbers, I think we did Rock Me Baby and if I remember correctly, Every Day I Have the Blues.

Paul-Rodgers-Jimmy-Page.jpg

RCM: How far back does your relationship with Led Zeppelin go?

PR: Back in the early days I remember meeting Robert Plant in Birmingham before Led Zeppelin were formed, when Free was touring with Alexis Korner. He had a jam session with Alexis Korner and afterwards Robert came back to the hotel with me and had a cup of tea. He said, “You know, I’ve been invited to go down to London and form a band with a guy called Jimmy Page, have you heard of him”" And I said, “Yeah, he’s a session guitarist that everyone is talking about down there,” and he said, “Oh, yeah, well they offered me 30 quid or a percentage — what do you think?” And I said, “Take the percentage, man!” So, yeah, we go back a long way.

Jimmy-Page-Paul-Rodgers-The-Firm.jpg

RCM: You recorded two albums with Jimmy Page in the mid-’80s as The Firm. Do you keep in touch?

PR: I do. Jimmy is a wonderful, really warm, quiet person. He’s a sweetheart and I always enjoy his company. I play with John Bonham’s son Jason sometimes also. He’s a fantastic drummer.

Interview with Paul Rodgers: http://www.rockcella...s-is-the-voice/

RCM: You recorded that album on the Swan Song record label, launched by Led Zeppelin in ’74. Did Bad Company and Led Zeppelin ever jam together?

PR: I remember Zeppelin standing on the side of the stage at a concert in the Finsbury Park Astoria in London, and I waved them onstage because they were just standing there enjoying the show. They looked at me and went, “What!?” because they weren’t at all expecting it. So they came on stage and we grabbed a bunch of guitars and we had the most amazing jam session. It was incredible. The audience was high at the end of our set, but when the Zeps walked on they went absolutely crazy. We played some blues numbers, I think we did Rock Me Baby and if I remember correctly, Every Day I Have the Blues.

Paul-Rodgers-Jimmy-Page.jpg

RCM: How far back does your relationship with Led Zeppelin go?

PR: Back in the early days I remember meeting Robert Plant in Birmingham before Led Zeppelin were formed, when Free was touring with Alexis Korner. He had a jam session with Alexis Korner and afterwards Robert came back to the hotel with me and had a cup of tea. He said, “You know, I’ve been invited to go down to London and form a band with a guy called Jimmy Page, have you heard of him”" And I said, “Yeah, he’s a session guitarist that everyone is talking about down there,” and he said, “Oh, yeah, well they offered me 30 quid or a percentage — what do you think?” And I said, “Take the percentage, man!” So, yeah, we go back a long way.

Jimmy-Page-Paul-Rodgers-The-Firm.jpg

RCM: You recorded two albums with Jimmy Page in the mid-’80s as The Firm. Do you keep in touch?

PR: I do. Jimmy is a wonderful, really warm, quiet person. He’s a sweetheart and I always enjoy his company. I play with John Bonham’s son Jason sometimes also. He’s a fantastic drummer.

Thozil, thanks for posting this. I always love a good Firm write-up. It's nice to hear Paul is still in touch with Jimmy...maybe that collaboration will surface again one day.......

• 5 months later...

``I briefly flirted with the idea of calling our group Thunderhead Spitfire and the Black Bombers," claims Paul Rodgers with a laugh. "Then we opened up the dictionary to 'F' and our name just popped off the page - no pun intended."

-- Paul Rodgers (The Philadelphia Daily News, May 10th 1985)

This from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on June 6, 1986...

IT'S PARTY TIME ON CHANNEL 22

KTZZ-TV will air ''The Best of the (KISW-FM) Rock Party'' tomorrow night at 7 on Channel 22.The special, which features footage of the Fabulous Thunderbirds and guests Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers, Bryan Adams (who jammed with the Thunderbirds), Heart and Loverboy, was filmed during KISW's 15th anniversary party May 29 at Parker's.

I have never seen this program in circulation. If anyone has a copy, or liberates it from an archive, please contact me.

This from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on June 6, 1986...

IT'S PARTY TIME ON CHANNEL 22

KTZZ-TV will air ''The Best of the (KISW-FM) Rock Party'' tomorrow night at 7 on Channel 22.The special, which features footage of the Fabulous Thunderbirds and guests Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers, Bryan Adams (who jammed with the Thunderbirds), Heart and Loverboy, was filmed during KISW's 15th anniversary party May 29 at Parker's.

I have never seen this program in circulation. If anyone has a copy, or liberates it from an archive, please contact me.

I used to have this on a VHS tape - unfortunately it ended up in the hands of the people who stole Jimmy's tapes and I never got it back. I'd love to see it again too.

No - sorry for confusing you - they were known on the Zeppelin scene in the UK - before they stole anything from Jimmy - and were some of the only people we knew who could copy PAL to NTSC format and vice versa - I had taped loads of stuff in the States and a friend said that if he sent it down to them for me they would transfer it to a UK format so I could play it here ( on condition they could take a copy of course). I gave it to him, he sent it, and I never saw it again.

Edited by Knebby

No but they were known on the Zeppelin scene in the UK - before they stole anything from Jimmy - and were some of the only people we knew who could copy PAL to NTSC format and vice versa - I had taped loads of stuff in the States and a friend said that if he sent it down to them for me they would transfer it to a UK format so I could play it here ( on condition they could take a copy of course). I gave it to him, he sent it, and I never saw it again.

Thanks for the clarification. Your inside info is always appreciated.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW, the tour ended 5/29/86 in Seattle. I show there was a dispute with the producer over content and cover art for the 'Five From The Firm' video in June '86 which resulted in a three-month delay. It was finally released in Sept '86...Jimmy issued a press release in Nov '86 announcing he was leaving The Firm to begin a solo album.

First a correction to my typo: the tour ended 5/28/86. Historically, this was not only the last show of the tour but also The Firm's final performance. Through the years I've enjoyed immensely an audience audio recording I own of the show. It documents that they had to stop performing for several minutes after Closer on account of the general admission main floor crowd getting crushed up front. Once the crowd is finally convinced to step back the house lights go down again and the band continues to deliver one of their finest performances. Emerald green lasers accentuate Live In Peace and strobe lights and fog showcase Radioactive. Jimmy concocts a phenomenal bow solo later in the show. Money - a Led Zeppelin encore in '80 - is the surprising opener to a high-spirited encore at the end of the show, at the end of the tour, at the end of an era.

----------

~ A complete audience video recording has surfaced! ~

TheFirmLiveinSeattle1986.jpg

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

My parents saw the Firm in 84 and 86, in the KC area, i know one of them was at Kemper Arena.

Would love to get my hands on the Seattle Audience Video.

I actually got to meet & speak with Tony Franklin last year when I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd in Columbia, MO.

Tony was very friendly and talked about his days travelling with Jimmy. Said that was Jimmy was his favorite guitarist of all time.

Edited by Flyingzepp

Hi there :wave: I just posted this in Hot Pics of Jimmy and it was suggested I post this here too so here it is :)

Here's Phil Soussan with Jimmy

pageandsoussan.jpg

And then in this article it says that he was nearly the bassist for The Firm! It says it all really but has anyone here heard this before or know anymore about it?

http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/10/01/phil-soussan/